PDA

View Full Version : Why Is LA In Panic Mode When They Have The Third Best Record?

JasonJohnHorn
02-03-2011, 10:06 AM
L.A. has the third best record in the league, they two players who are arguably the best players at their position in the league in Kobe and Gasol, they have one of the most versatile forward in Odom, one of the best wing defenders in Artest, a great high-enrgy impact player like Barnes, a better PG rotation than they've had in the past with Blake, a solid big man in Bynum and great vets like Ratliff, Risher and Joe Smith rounding out the rotation. There have been some injuries, and chemistry issue that will no doubt be worked out before the playoffs, and with one of the best coaches in the history of the game, when the playoffs roll around there is no doubt that this talented group will be bringing their A-game. I understand why Jackson and the GM might be concerned about complacency, especially considering that was LA's down fall in 03 and 04, but the fact of the matter is: LA is the team to beat!

The Spurs have put together a great record, and Boston has as well, but the fact that LA is above all other teams not named Boston or San Antonio is an indication that they are playing great.

I realize they have dropped a couple games that were important, but this team is for real? I hate LA (well, Kobe at least) and I still see them as the favorites to win this year. So why is everybody in panic mode about LA?

FadeAwayLikeMJ
02-03-2011, 10:07 AM
the Lakers ARE NOT IN PANIC MODE

just the fans are... and i cannot understand why. look what the C's did last year with the 4 seed.

Avenged
02-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Not so sure it's the fans only..

Magic and West are both concerned for the team and have made their comments public.

Mitch has talked about a possible trade as well.

Their record is deceiving, they are having a hard time beating the really good teams.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Who said they're in panic mode:confused:

JasonJohnHorn
02-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Mitch is calling out for possible trades, long-time Lakers Magic and West are down on their team, rumours swirling about Artest wanting to leave, and Phil, though staying confident, has seemed less than enthusiastic about how his team is playing (he jumped on their D after the Boston game saying Shaq was the only guy on the floor they could defend). It sounds like people in the organization are unhappy, as well as the fans.

FadeAwayLikeMJ
02-03-2011, 10:38 AM

Magic and West are both concerned for the team and have made their comments public.

Their record is deceiving, they are having a hard time beating the really good teams.

what i meant was i dont think any of the players are in panic mode

pacofunk64
02-03-2011, 10:43 AM
I was wondering the same thing. I see there only 2-3 games off from where they were last year. It does seem like they are not playing as well but maybe that's coming from the media. I don't think it really matters until playoff time anyways.

magichatnumber9
02-03-2011, 10:50 AM
LA being beat by Boston during the regular season has that effect on the Lakers. Magic and Jerry crying. There GM who no one has ever heard of starts talking about a trade. I'm sorry did you just wake up from a month long coma.

magichatnumber9
02-03-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm a little confused myself I think the Lakers are playing good ball this year. Playoffs are a different story.

QUICKTRADE
02-03-2011, 10:56 AM
they believe that with their current players and way of playing they will not be their to defend their crown.i am a lakers fans but i believe in winnning and if they continue to play this way then we may kiss our chance goodbye.

RaiderLakersA's
02-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Neither the coach, nor the players are in panic mode. The fanbase is concerned. The GM and the owner are likely also concerned, since that's their job. Mitch did the right thing in publicly bringing up trades. Unless your team is completing smashing all comers by blowout margins every game, a GM should always have his door open to trade discussions.

PraiseJesus
02-03-2011, 11:48 AM
I just snapped a photo of Mitch Kupchak panicing:

:dance:

J-Relo
02-03-2011, 11:49 AM
they played one of the easiest schedules thus far.

Cubsfan365
02-03-2011, 12:06 PM
L.A. has the third best record in the league, they two players who are arguably the best players at their position in the league in Kobe and Gasol, they have one of the most versatile forward in Odom, one of the best wing defenders in Artest, a great high-enrgy impact player like Barnes, a better PG rotation than they've had in the past with Blake, a solid big man in Bynum and great vets like Ratliff, Risher and Joe Smith rounding out the rotation. There have been some injuries, and chemistry issue that will no doubt be worked out before the playoffs, and with one of the best coaches in the history of the game, when the playoffs roll around there is no doubt that this talented group will be bringing their A-game. I understand why Jackson and the GM might be concerned about complacency, especially considering that was LA's down fall in 03 and 04, but the fact of the matter is: LA is the team to beat!

The Spurs have put together a great record, and Boston has as well, but the fact that LA is above all other teams not named Boston or San Antonio is an indication that they are playing great.

I realize they have dropped a couple games that were important, but this team is for real? I hate LA (well, Kobe at least) and I still see them as the favorites to win this year. So why is everybody in panic mode about LA?
Not sure how they have the 3rd best record in the league when they are behind Spurs, Celtics, Bulls, and Heat.

SteBO
02-03-2011, 12:11 PM
I've been over this numerous times before. Ask yourselves this. What motivation do you have in the regular season when you've already proven yourself two consecutive years winning titles? Because I haven't found a reason. Lakers are one of the most well balanced teams in the league as well as talented. It looks to me like the players are somewhat on cruise control right now, factor in the schedule they have endured so far this year. The two losses against MEM and the ones against Indiana and Sacramento would concern me if I'm a Laker fan, bt they aren't all that important. You won't see those teams in the playoffs, and for the good teams, Lakers just have to take those games more seriously. If they do that, they will be okay.

nickdymez
02-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Laker fans arent in panic mode.. Just pissed that they cant get stuff done when they're supposed to.. But every single year the media goes into panic mode with the lakers... Every real laker fan knows the season doesn't start until the playoffs...

Hellcrooner
02-03-2011, 12:15 PM

"Trade Pau Gasol" threads......if thats not panic mode FOR FANS.
The team of course isnt, in fact they may be laughin their *** off fans overeactions

Jsoul101
02-03-2011, 12:22 PM
When you are in first place for a long time and now your not...
you'd be upset, wouldn't you?

Iron24th
02-03-2011, 12:29 PM
the Lakers ARE NOT IN PANIC MODE

just the fans are... and i cannot understand why. look what the C's did last year with the 4 seed.

Really good point,even if I doubt they are as tough mentally,but it's very possible for them to go back to the Finals even without HCA against Spurs,everyone will pick the Spurs like they did with Orlando VS Boston last year.

Some fans are in panic mode after every single loss which is overreaction,but sometimes I can't be patient too,we're still waiting any consistency from our team which is a little disappointing in february,but until the playoffs start,we can't know what they are really capable of.

nickdymez
02-03-2011, 12:33 PM
"Trade Pau Gasol" threads......if thats not panic mode FOR FANS.
The team of course isnt, in fact they may be laughin their *** off fans overeactions

I was about that for a while. Im sick of having a 7 footer that only plays defense twice a week.. I dont care about the record with him in the line-up and all that other crap people say... I just dont care... Its one thing to not be a good defender, its another thing to not try. And most of the time he doesn't try...

footballer2369
02-03-2011, 12:40 PM
It's because they're not performing on defense.

TO to the CHI
02-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Playoffs are a different story.

As a Warriors fan, how would you know?

Couldn't resist. On topic, I do have to say that this seems like a different Lakers team that isn't as focused as they were in past. Everyone keeps saying that it is just the regular season, but I am not sure I buy that. The team seems less interested than they have been in past and is getting beat (and often outworked) during games that are againt top teams and rivals. I just am not convinced they can coast all year and then simply turn it on at the end. But I guess we shall see.....

KingPosey
02-03-2011, 12:46 PM
I get ur point, but its not about their overall record, its their record against other good teams. They are not just losing, but getting pounded during their biggest games, and they arent responding with any urgency. Thats not a good sign. I still think they can fix it without a trade, but its not reassuring as is.

SteBO
02-03-2011, 12:49 PM
It's because they're not performing on defense.
This.

Sergio1984
02-03-2011, 12:53 PM
The games I've watched them play against good teams have not been good. I think this is their last chance to win a championship with this core. They just don't seem as dominant to me as other years.

LakeShowRaider
02-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Cuz Laker fans are spoiled and sometimes dumb

PraiseJesus
02-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Lakers are a playoff team.

The regular season is just warm ups

cargobox
02-03-2011, 01:02 PM
as J. Cole says "I'm about to Blow Up!"

shep33
02-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Going to 4 straight Finals is pretty tough, I mean we don't see that this day and age. Put that into perspective for a minute, its tough, teams already want to beat the Lakers moreso then anyother team it's the truth. Anybody remember playing high school ball? I remember when we'd play the best team in the city, we use to get up for those games.

shep33
02-03-2011, 01:38 PM
The games I've watched them play against good teams have not been good. I think this is their last chance to win a championship with this core. They just don't seem as dominant to me as other years.

You know what's interesting... the Lakers last season were pretty bad against the good teams.

0-2 vs the Cavs
1-1 vs Celts
1-1 vs Magic
2-2 vs Spurs
1-3 vs Nuggets
2-2 vs Mavericks

combined 7-11 vs those teams

yet they still win the title last year... Its weird, but this team seems like its built for the playoffs.

THE MTL
02-03-2011, 01:44 PM

Seriously if u are going to make a thread, make a simple check with NBA.com. It takes 2 seconds. Lakers are FIFTH best in the league after injury-filled Celtics, Bulls, and Heat.

The problem is they arent looking like a championship team. Lakers competition arent the "other" teams in the league. The Lakers competition are the Spurs, Heat, & Celtics. These teams are in a league of their own and in that league Lakers dont look that good.

Lakers also have a pretty bad record up against the Heat/Celtics/Spurs as well.

However, I wouldnt say that they are in panic mode. That Artest trade request was completely false and I didnt believe it for a second.

redsox0717
02-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Isn't it obvious? They have failed miserably against the cream of the crop in the NBA this year

THE MTL
02-03-2011, 01:48 PM
You know what's interesting... the Lakers last season were pretty bad against the good teams.

0-2 vs the Cavs
1-1 vs Celts
1-1 vs Magic
2-2 vs Spurs
1-3 vs Nuggets
2-2 vs Mavericks

yet they still win the title last year... Its weird, but this team seems like its built for the playoffs.

Take out the Cavs and Nuggets (teams LAL could have lost to in my opinion however were lucky not to face) and it is a .500 record.

I honestly think the Cavs would have beat the Lakers cause they were built to combat them and the Magic. Its just they forget to build their team against the Celtics.

The Nuggets were just a regular season fluke, I see now. And maybe it was a weird matchup for LAL, but they lost in the first round so it didnt matter anyway.

shep33
02-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Isn't it obvious? They have failed miserably against the cream of the crop in the NBA this year

They did the same thing last year as well though.

shep33
02-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Take out the Cavs and Nuggets (teams LAL could have lost to in my opinion however were lucky not to face) and it is a .500 record.

I honestly think the Cavs would have beat the Lakers cause they were built to combat them and the Magic. Its just they forget to build their team against the Celtics.

The Nuggets were just a regular season fluke, I see now. And maybe it was a weird matchup for LAL, but they lost in the first round so it didnt matter anyway.

I disagree, I think the Lakers would've beat the Nuggets or Cavs last year. LA was a completely different team last year in the playoffs then the regular season. Their defense picked up tremendously in the post season. I don't get why you say take out the Cavs and Nuggets? I'm just stating facts about their record against good teams.

Tony_Starks
02-03-2011, 02:28 PM
It wouldn't be LA without a lil drama. They go through these stretches every year so most fans know the deal. I would say the only difference is last year when they lost they still competed. This year they are literally taking games off.

Thats frustrating as a fan but honestly they have completely goofed off the entire first half of the season and still are top 5 in the league so Im not too nervous.

As long as they're playing good basketball by playoff time then its all good.

ANKUSH
02-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Honestly, it's because we are accustomed to winning. And winning takes a certain amount of skill/talent and more importantly hard work. What LA fans appreciate the most (like any other fan I'd say) is the hard work. The 2011 Lakers look as though they're winning games on talent. We, the fans, see little hard work. Scraping, grappling, and tough-nosed defense have been almost non-existent. There's much gambling and losing one's defensive assignment. When you're paid millions of dollars to produce, we expect a great product.

ashyzup
02-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Seriously if u are going to make a thread, make a simple check with NBA.com. It takes 2 seconds. Lakers are FIFTH best in the league after injury-filled Celtics, Bulls, and Heat.

They could be in sixth place tomorrow if they lose against San Antonio. Dallas is only half a game behind them (and Dallas also had key injuries with Dirk and Butler).

FadeAwayLikeMJ
02-03-2011, 03:44 PM

0-2 vs the Cavs
1-1 vs Celts
1-1 vs Magic
2-2 vs Spurs
1-3 vs Nuggets
2-2 vs Mavericks

awesome point

Lakers are a playoff team. they seem to always win when its most important

PraiseJesus
02-03-2011, 03:54 PM
awesome point

Its not the playoffs yet last time I checked

210Don
02-03-2011, 04:06 PM
whether they are a playoff team or not they do not look dominant, or even have flashes that you would see from great teams that turn it on.

Nighthawk
02-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Lakers are back to back champs and the favorites to getback to the finals out of the west. Whats their to panic about? Boston beat you on Sunday...YAY... L.A is still a contender. Spurs are their only competition in the west. TONIGHTS S.A/L.A game should be good.

John Walls Era
02-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Players are not in panic mode. Only people outside the organization.

shep33
02-03-2011, 04:48 PM
awesome point

Yeah I agree, this actually happend last year and everyone counted the Lakers out. In reality though, its gonna be tough trying to beat this team 4 times in 7 games when they're focused and locked in throughout the Western conference playoffs. Although I think a matchup vs the Spurs will be extremely tough, that series has 7 games written all over it.

jr_3421
02-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Two reasons

1. Against the top teams, the Lakers have not faired well

2. In games Kobe has dominated, the Lakers have not faired well as expected

There definitely is an overreaction in Laker land but when you're in the hunt for a championship, you have to be firing on on cylinders and when you're not, people are going to notice and point it out. That is the price of being on top.

PrettyBoyJ
02-03-2011, 05:07 PM
There Far from Panic mode.. come playoff time this all will be irrelevant

miller74
02-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Fans of great teams like the Lakers know not to worry too much about the regular season, knowing they bring it in playoffs when it matters most.