PDA

View Full Version : Clyde Drexler thinks NBA will expand into London very soon

asandhu23
02-03-2011, 10:01 AM
LONDON (AP) -- NBA great Clyde Drexler can foresee a league franchise being based in London, maybe even within the next decade.

"Clyde the Glide,'' in the British capital to help promote the first regular-season NBA games to be played in London in March, said Wednesday that basketball has proven itself in Europe and expansion to the continent may just be a matter of time.

"If the demand continues, that could actually happen,'' Drexler told The Associated Press. "We're probably 10 years or so away, but that is not too farsighted to happen.''

The NBA has played preseason games in London for the past four years, packing fans into the O2 Arena. Late last year, the league decided it was time to emulate the NHL and NFL, both of which have played regular-season games in London.

The Toronto Raptors and New Jersey Nets will play a pair of games at the O2 on March 4-5.

"Basketball is a global sport,'' said Drexler, who spent more than a decade playing for the Portland Trail Blazers. "There's a demand around the world, and David Stern our commissioner is trying to facilitate that demand.''

And the distance, Drexler said, won't be a problem for anyone.

"Even games coming from Oregon to New York are far, but that never stopped anything,'' Drexler said. "It's about as far as New York to London. It's all relative. Every team has a private charter. They can go all over the world.''

One way to push the game to the soccer-loving public in Britain is NBA Basketball Week, a series of youth-oriented events that will take place in five cities leading up to the two games.

"Fans from all over will get a chance to see what NBA action is all about,'' Drexler said. "They'll have a lot of clinics, jam sessions. That'll be happening daily.''

Besides London, the basketball week will also hit the road to Birmingham, Sheffield, Manchester and Newcastle.

"Basketball has given me so many opportunities in life and I am happy that the NBA is bringing events like this to the U.K., because it will give boys, girls and fans of all ages the chance to play the game I love,'' said Chicago Bulls forward Luol Deng, who grew up in Britain.

As far as Drexler is concerned, though, the NBA isn't done making it's mark in Europe.

"There are going to be some teams in Europe. There are going to be some teams in Asia. And they're all going to be a part of the NBA umbrella, eventually,'' Drexler said. "That's the global plan.''

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/02/02/clyde-drexler-nba-in-london.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

East London Redcoats. :D

PraiseJesus
02-03-2011, 11:45 AM
I dunno lloyd, the french are a holes

DaBUU
02-03-2011, 12:11 PM
europe is gay

JayTee1981
02-03-2011, 12:19 PM
I can see it happening

Atticus Finch
02-03-2011, 12:40 PM
I love that one of the main arguments in favor of expansion is that flying from NY to London is about the same as LA to NY. So then what about LA to London, teams have to fly 12 hours just to play one regular season basketball game? Not to mention all of the differences in time zones would make it difficult for fans to actually watch their team. A west coast game normally starts at 7 or 730 PST, which in London would be around 3 or 330AM if I'm not mistaken. I highly doubt fans are going to stay up that late to watch the game. Hell, even a game on the east coast would start around midnight for them. I love that basketball is constantly trying to make itself more global, but when a large number of teams in the US are already losing money I think the league needs to focus on getting those teams back to a sustainable level before trying something like this.

gilly
02-03-2011, 12:48 PM
^ Teams would play NY, Boston, Philly and then fly to the UK to play 2/3 games against the London team, then come back for the rest of the Eastern Conference trip. Not a huge deal travel wise.

I would love a London team, I'd probably try and get a season ticket. We would have to get Luol Deng and Ryan Richards though!

masalex1205
02-03-2011, 12:49 PM
"Clyde Drexler: Business Expert"

asandhu23
02-03-2011, 12:51 PM
europe is gay

...?

PraiseJesus
02-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Who else is distracted by Asan's sig?

Nothing else matters in this thread

Atticus Finch
02-03-2011, 12:58 PM
^ Teams would play NY, Boston, Philly and then fly to the UK to play 2/3 games against the London team, then come back for the rest of the Eastern Conference trip. Not a huge deal travel wise.

I would love a London team, I'd probably try and get a season ticket. We would have to get Luol Deng and Ryan Richards though!

Oh good, so then I get to miss 2 or 3 Laker games in a row, perfect. The playoffs would have to all be changed to the 2-3-2 format to allow for travel time between games. What if London makes it to the finals against an east coast team? Pretty much assures that nobody on the west coast will be watching any of those games. Would fans in London actually watch any of their team's away games? Keep in mind it's a 5 hour time difference from London to NY and an 8 hour time difference from London to LA

RZZZA
02-03-2011, 02:01 PM
That's cool. I have a friend from England, he's a Bulls fan :cool:

RZZZA
02-03-2011, 02:02 PM
East London Redcoats. :D

lol. London Limeys

JnasD
02-03-2011, 02:15 PM
I dunno lloyd, the french are a holes

LOL Dumb and Dumber = Classic movie:clap:

rhino17
02-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Clyde Drexler is very close to being legally ********

he is literally one of the dumbest people on the planet, if you dont think so, just watch a Rockets home game telecast

joeboow90
02-03-2011, 02:27 PM

yea thats true, the nba would have to schedule it right and have teams play on the east coast then fly to london. it would be great to globalize the sport i hope this happens.

jensbalboy
02-03-2011, 02:29 PM
ow nice finaly team that where I don't need to stay op until 2 am when the game start en ends like 4:30 am, make a division in europe give Brussels,Amsterdam,Berlin and Paris a team as well

gilly
02-03-2011, 02:39 PM
^ The main teams would be in London, Berlin, Madrid or Barcelona, Milan and Paris I'm guessing. Spain may even have two teams because they're really into their basketball, more so than any other country. I would really hope that the countrymen in the league would go and play for those teams (Dirk to Germany, Parker to Paris, Deng to London, Pau to Spain, Bargnani to Milan etc). That would create a draw for these teams to get consistent crowds. I'd love it!

Chronz
02-03-2011, 06:39 PM
Drexler once said Rafer Alston would soon become an All-star

sep11ie
02-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Europe? Why the HELL would we want a team in the middle East?

sep11ie
02-03-2011, 06:50 PM
The man can sure make some good BBQ though.

chitown4eva88
02-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Bad idea..remember NFL Europe...

jeter 2
02-03-2011, 07:40 PM
The NBA should start relocating teams to Europe, such as the Cavs, and other smaller market teams. If the NBA does this, I do not think the NBA would have profitablility problems and then smaller market fans wouldn't be able to complain about market size. I think there should be an NBA team in Greece, Barcelona, Madrid, Milan, Berlin, London and Paris and Monaco. In Asia, there are plenty of cities to tap into such as Mumbai, Hong Kong, Dubai, Qatar, Singapore and many others.

RZZZA
02-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Bad idea..remember NFL Europe...

thats different, europeans dont have any reason to hate basketball.

meanwhile the whole american football/european football thing is a heated rivalry

jimbobjarree
02-03-2011, 07:46 PM
lol isnt drexler the ****** who helps announce rockets games, that makes the other ****** he works with sound almost smart?

knicks4life33
02-03-2011, 07:46 PM
what happined to contraction lol

jimbobjarree
02-03-2011, 07:50 PM
man, the 9 hour flight from houston to london was enough for me. Surely you cant expect teams from the western conference to go all that way for one game.

Bishnoff
02-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Clyde Drexler is the most biased commentator I've ever heard. I can't believe a word he says.

kArSoN RyDaH
02-03-2011, 08:05 PM
That is ********. Keep american sports american. No one would want to play there. You are under the laws of an entirely different country and would have to have road trips? uhm. no.

unless they are talking about london making their own league? then ok fine.

Atticus Finch
02-03-2011, 08:36 PM
The NBA should start relocating teams to Europe, such as the Cavs, and other smaller market teams. If the NBA does this, I do not think the NBA would have profitablility problems and then smaller market fans wouldn't be able to complain about market size. I think there should be an NBA team in Greece, Barcelona, Madrid, Milan, Berlin, London and Paris and Monaco. In Asia, there are plenty of cities to tap into such as Mumbai, Hong Kong, Dubai, Qatar, Singapore and many others.

Yes that's exactly what the US needs, more outsourcing.

All of the places in bold are broke, and Qatar is smaller than 40 of the 50 United States (by the way, none of the states with a smaller population have an NBA team).

icej
02-03-2011, 08:40 PM

I support this.

It should be good for NBA Market wise without compromising the quality, I think 30 teams is a little bit too much for NBA but if you outsource the 5 teams to Europe that would be very good economically and rivalry wise.