PDA

View Full Version : Right State, Wrong City?

JasonJohnHorn
02-02-2011, 02:58 AM
Its mid season, and so time to evaluate choices made this past summer, and why not revisit the most interesting and talked about decsion.

This past summer when LeBrond James announced he was going to Florida, did he choose the right state, but the wrong city? Everybody knows that its hard to win a title without and anchor in the post. The Lakers have won with Shaq and Gasol/Bynum, the Pistons won with Big Ben dominating the glass and anchoring the defence, the 80's saw Bird and Magic get big help from Parish and Kareem, and Dr. J needed Moses to help him clinch a title. In the 90's if Jordan wasnt on your team, you needed The Dream or David Robinson. Indeed, it has been hard to win without a man in the middle (though the Bulls pulled it off 6 times, they seem to be the exception to the rule, and only did it when they had great rebounders on the wing- Jordan and Pippen- helping the greatest rebounder since Wilt Chamberlain in Dennis Rodman).

Should James have worked a sign-and-trade with Orlando? He could be playing alongside Dwight Howard on a team that has already been to the finals, and could have also given Cleveland a player like Rashad Lewish in return, or even Vinsanity. Allowing Cleveland to get something in return (like Grant Hill did with Detroit) could have smoothed over the popular opinion of the super star while at the same time putting him on a contender with a young, dominant center, isntead of building a team with any old nuts and bolts that were willing to take a minimum contract to play with Wade and LBJ.

Miami is a great team, but they look to be at least a season away from really contending (though an early return of Udonis Haslem and his placement at center instead of back-up PF along with a healthy Miller could help bring a title to Miami this season).

I'm not a fan of Miami or Orlando, just a fan of the game who has noticed a certain trend in basket: It is easier to win with a great center. So my question: Would LBJ be in a better position to win multple wins playing alongside Howard? or playing alongside Bosh and Wade?

And please, this is not a 'hater' thread. I respect LBJ, and Miami, and Orlando, I just thought this would make an interesting conversation, so lets keep it clean.

hgtiger32
02-02-2011, 11:34 AM
good thought...BUT orlando would've had to given up A LOT to get LeBron, im sure Rashard Lewis would have to be traded and I doubt Cleveland woulda wanted his contract. But, LeBron and Dwight would be a great duo

king4day
02-02-2011, 11:37 AM
In the end, he's probably gonna win a couple rings with Miami. But, had he gone to Orlando, they win this year and begin a dynasty for sure.

SteBO
02-02-2011, 11:38 AM
I'm not gonna lie. As a Heat fan, all I really wanted this past offseason was Wade and Bosh. That was the plan from the beginning. Obviously getting LeBron was icing on the cake for me and other Heat fans, but LeBron and Dwight is a great duo that would produce quite a bit of titles.

D1JM
02-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Bulls won because you don't need a dominate big man in the triangle

beasted86
02-02-2011, 11:42 AM
If we are throwing teams who were in the top 5 in luxury tax into the LeBron sweepstakes, why not the Celtics? Why not LeBron to the Lakers? If the Cavs were willing to take trash, why not Richard Jefferson straight up sign & trade for LeBron going to the Spurs? Considering their current record, with LeBron they are what? 75-7?

This topic is somewhat pointless.

TheDiggler
02-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Nelson, Arenas, Turkoglu, Bass, D12 and Lebron James on one team ? Sounds okay I think.

king4day
02-02-2011, 11:45 AM
good thought...BUT orlando would've had to given up A LOT to get LeBron, im sure Rashard Lewis would have to be traded and I doubt Cleveland woulda wanted his contract. But, LeBron and Dwight would be a great duo

Since the Heat gave up a first and TPE, I don't think Orlando woulda had it much worse. Maybe Nelson, Carter, their first, and Gortat perhaps? At worst.

It coulda gotten done if he had real interest. It does make you wonder. Paired with Howard, they could have been a complete juggernaut and had better role players.

KnicksorBust
02-02-2011, 11:46 AM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIA/2011.html

The Miami Heat are 4th in offensive rating, 5th in defensive rating, and 2nd in SRS. I'm just going to remind everyone they are doing this their first year together and they haven't even been at full strength all season. What's stopping them from possibly being the best offensive and defensive team in the league next year? They lock teams perimeter players down and double team low post threats. Then they get out in transition and get a ton of easy baskets. This team is a nightmare. They may not win this season but titles are coming. That's for sure. He made the right move.

beasted86
02-02-2011, 11:48 AM
I think the main thing people are overlooking is Dan Gilbert wasn't even considering the possibility LeBron would leave.

Even if he told the Cavs he wanted to go, you think they would explore any sign & trades where they weren't raping the other team?

Look what the Raptors alone were trying to do for Bosh? Imagine Cleveland for LeBron James.

Rashard Lewis? Jameer Nelson? what are you guys thinking, seriously....

JordansBulls
02-02-2011, 11:56 AM
I think going to NY or the Clippers would have been the best move with Chicago in the mix after that. I don't think people would have complained much if he went to any of those 3 teams.

faze38
02-02-2011, 12:03 PM
I think going to NY or the Clippers would have been the best move with Chicago in the mix after that. I don't think people would have complained much if he went to any of those 3 teams.

This!!!

goose15
02-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Orlando could have played Lebron at PF next to Howard.. :speechless:

beasted86
02-02-2011, 12:10 PM

Of course you are right.

The most fans on this board are in LA, NY, and Chicago... so one of the 3 headed monsters would not be complaining.

With him going to Miami all 3 are complaining. The fans from the 3 biggest cities in the US are all complaining.

ATX
02-02-2011, 12:13 PM
If we are throwing teams who were in the top 5 in luxury tax into the LeBron sweepstakes, why not the Celtics? Why not LeBron to the Lakers? If the Cavs were willing to take trash, why not Richard Jefferson straight up sign & trade for LeBron going to the Spurs? Considering their current record, with LeBron they are what? 75-7?

This topic is somewhat pointless.

Great point.

JordansBulls
02-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Of course you are right.

The most fans on this board are in LA, NY, and Chicago... so one of the 3 headed monsters would not be complaining.

With him going to Miami all 3 are complaining. The fans from the 3 biggest cities in the US are all complaining.

People aren't complaining because of Miami in itself, it is mainly because he decided to go play with a proven winner that is a top 3 player in the league. When you are considered by most to be the best in the league, that is not something you do. I'm not saying he should not have joined another star or so, but joining a guy that already got it done as the man and is still in his prime is why most complained. IMO playing with guys like Kobe, Dwight, Durant, Wade should have been off limits for a guy like Lebron, anyone else then I don't think anyone would have complained.

beasted86
02-02-2011, 12:39 PM
People aren't complaining because of Miami in itself, it is mainly because he decided to go play with a proven winner that is a top 3 player in the league. When you are considered by most to be the best in the league, that is not something you do. I'm not saying he should not have joined another star or so, but joining a guy that already got it done as the man and is still in his prime is why most complained. IMO playing with guys like Kobe, Dwight, Durant, Wade should have been off limits for a guy like Lebron, anyone else then I don't think anyone would have complained.

So you have every other Bulls fan and his cousin saying Rose is as good or better than Wade, and every New Jack Knicks fan crawling out of the woodwork after 10 years claiming Amare deserves MVP and is a top 5-6 player... but LeBron would have looked better if he joined up with those guys?

Please look at this objectively, please. People would complain either way because LeBron left a good team (not great, but good) and would be "going to someone else's team" or "running away". People would say his legacy was diminished either way.

John Walls Era
02-02-2011, 12:41 PM

I don't think so. I think going to the Bulls would probably be just as bad (how Lebron needs Rose to win). Most people had him going to the Knicks, so it would be like "ok we knew he was doing that because hes an attention whore". If he went to the Clippers, everyone would laugh (The LA B team AND no one knew Griffin would be this good during the Summer).

Its a lose-lose situation for Lebron, people hate on him regardless of what team he chose.

JordansBulls
02-02-2011, 12:45 PM
So you have every other Bulls fan and his cousin saying Rose is as good or better than Wade, and every New Jack Knicks fan crawling out of the woodwork after 10 years claiming Amare deserves MVP and is a top 5-6 player... but LeBron would have looked better if he joined up with those guys?

Please look at this objectively, please. People would complain either way because LeBron left a good team (not great, but good) and would be "going to someone else's team" or "running away". People would say his legacy was diminished either way.

I disagree. I've never said Rose was better than Wade. And Lebron joining Amare would have been similar as if Bosh came to Cleveland to join Lebron.

Swashcuff
02-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Bulls won because you don't need a dominate big man in the triangle

THIS

Michael Jordan had nothing to do with the fact that the Bulls was so great. :rolleyes:

beasted86
02-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Michael Jordan had nothing to do with the fact that the Bulls was so great. :rolleyes:

Nope.

JordansBulls
02-02-2011, 12:47 PM
I don't think so. I think going to the Bulls would probably be just as bad (how Lebron needs Rose to win). Most people had him going to the Knicks, so it would be like "ok we knew he was doing that because hes an attention whore". If he went to the Clippers, everyone would laugh (The LA B team AND no one knew Griffin would be this good during the Summer).

Its a lose-lose situation for Lebron, people hate on him regardless of what team he chose.

That's totally different as if Lebron came to the Bulls he would be clearly the best player on the team and would be joining a 3rd year star.

Swashcuff
02-02-2011, 12:49 PM

Had he stayed in Cleveland while the hate would not have been there the NY, Chi, Mia fan bases would have been pissed regardless. Especially in NY. I mean they were ready to crown him the G.O.A.T. during the course of the off season everyone was on the band wagon and as soon as he took his talents to south beach the ish hit the fan.

He made what he thought would be the best decision for him. He knew he would be hated regardless. I'm just glad that for his sake he didn't stay in Cleveland.

mrs rose
02-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Of course you are right.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

SteBO
02-02-2011, 12:51 PM
That's totally different as if Lebron came to the Bulls he would be clearly the best player on the team and would be joining a 3rd year star.
I'm very iffy on this because there was in fact a thread about Rose wanting Joe Johnson over LeBron or Wade. Rose seems to think he's an elite superstar and I'm not going to argue that, for he is legit. In saying that, had LeBron went to Chicago, people would, in fact for the sake of hating on him, say that he needed Derrick Rose to win.

beasted86
02-02-2011, 12:53 PM
And Lebron joining Amare would have been similar as if Bosh came to Cleveland to join Lebron.

Wrong, the two are nothing even close to alike.

JordansBulls
02-02-2011, 12:56 PM
I'm very iffy on this because there was in fact a thread about Rose wanting Joe Johnson over LeBron or Wade. Rose seems to think he's an elite superstar and I'm not going to argue that, for he is legit. In saying that, had LeBron went to Chicago, people would, in fact for the sake of hating on him, say that he needed Derrick Rose to win.

People are going to say that regardless of any player winning a title. The difference is, is are you winning titles with another guy as good as you are or that is a guy who lead teams to the finals, etc.

KnicksorBust
02-02-2011, 02:29 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIA/2011.html

The Miami Heat are 4th in offensive rating, 5th in defensive rating, and 2nd in SRS. I'm just going to remind everyone they are doing this their first year together and they haven't even been at full strength all season. What's stopping them from possibly being the best offensive and defensive team in the league next year? They lock teams perimeter players down and double team low post threats. Then they get out in transition and get a ton of easy baskets. This team is a nightmare. They may not win this season but titles are coming. That's for sure. He made the right move.

Great post.

Swashcuff
02-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Great post.

Did you just quote and compliment yourself? :facepalm: :p

John Walls Era
02-02-2011, 03:28 PM

I was talking about what other people would say about him, not the facts. The fact of the matter would be the best player on the Bulls, but the haters would still say Noah and Rose are carrying him to a championship. My point was that people will hate on him no matter what he did. (Just this week, some people were saying how he was scared of shooting that 3 so he passed to Eddie House. Shows just how much Lebron is hated).

Great post.

+1

KnicksorBust
02-02-2011, 03:33 PM
Did you just quote and compliment yourself? :facepalm: :p

Well someone had to say it. The rest of you were too busy going off-topic talking about if he'd still be hated if he did this or that. I'm tired of hearing about that. Where is the Orlando vs. Miami debate?

Chronz
02-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Great post.

Your ego rivals my own