PDA

View Full Version : Is Amare an "Alpha dog"

Flash3
02-02-2011, 12:00 AM
a true first option someone who can lead a team deep and possibly a championship by himself or the best player on the team and be mentioned in the same names as wade, bron, dwight,paul etc

Edit: please elaborate as to why or why not. all opinions are appreciated and shouldn't be dogged on.

nwilder
02-02-2011, 12:03 AM
Nope.

PC
02-02-2011, 12:06 AM
Well both Wade and LeBron can't be alpha dogs because they're on the same team but I know what you're saying

My answer is no. And Donnie didn't bring him in to win it all by himself. Obviously he's a major building block but Donnie's main goal was for two stars and he preserved enough cap space to do that.

xabial
02-02-2011, 12:08 AM
Well both Wade and LeBron can't be alpha dogs because they're on the same team but I know what you're saying

My answer is no. And Donnie didn't bring him in to win it all by himself. Obviously he's a major building block but Donnie's main goal was for two stars and he preserved enough cap space to do that.

This.

xabial
02-02-2011, 12:09 AM
Im saying the same thing i said in the other thread, If the Knicks get a Legit Center, and Amare's still the #1 option, i can see many good things happening for this team

Slimsim
02-02-2011, 12:16 AM
Not sure if Amare can do it alone with Everyone teaming up

BallIsAll
02-02-2011, 12:18 AM
yes he is I wont lie. he has shown he can make a drastic change in a teams culture and improve a team as a leader. Thumbs up to him down there in NY.

NYKnicks4511
02-02-2011, 12:22 AM
Key word is 'deep' into the playoffs. By himself? No. I think Amare can push a Knicks team like the one this year to a first round upset and a second round exit at best.

Like PC said, Amar'e wasn't meant to do it all alone, he needs another guy besides him.

Also for the record I don't think that Wade and CP3 are 'Alpha Dogs' by your definition. Wade led the Miami team last year to the playoffs, yeah, but not deep. When Wade won the 'ship he won it with a Shaquille O'Neal in his (although late) prime. I can make the same argument for CP3.

LeBron is the epitome of doing it with a one man show, as was Kobe, and maybe even Dwight, though he had solid help that year when Lewis and Turkoglu exploded.

NYKnicks4511
02-02-2011, 12:24 AM
Also I think the answer might be different if Wade/Bron/Bosh weren't on the same team. In that case, I think Amar'e would be a stronger candidate, but with everyone teaming up it becomes a wash.

sep11ie
02-02-2011, 12:33 AM
Funny this thread is coming from a heat fan.

KmB728
02-02-2011, 12:37 AM
He's having a great year, and I think he can lead the Knicks to the playoffs...however he needs another guy (Carmelo)

eXpLiiCt
02-02-2011, 12:38 AM
But he has Timo Mosgof!

justinnum1
02-02-2011, 12:39 AM
he wont win a ring being the #1 guy

xxplayerxx23
02-02-2011, 12:41 AM
Im not sure.. Im going to go with no. I think he needs a legit 2nd guy. But he can win a ring being the number 1 guy. He needs a good center to take some presure off him then i think he has a shot

oak2455
02-02-2011, 12:44 AM

I agree with this but what about LBJ hes def not:D

justinnum1
02-02-2011, 12:48 AM
I agree with this but what about LBJ hes def not:D

oh well, he will have to win rings being the #2 guy...funny thing is, a championship is a championship right?...other wise kobe would only have 2 so far...right?

Mudvayne91
02-02-2011, 12:49 AM
When was the last time someone actually won it by himself? MJ had Pippen, Kobe had Shaq/Pau. Those are two of the biggest names that come to mind for me when Alpha Dog is mentioned, but neither did it by "themselves."

Hellcrooner
02-02-2011, 12:50 AM
With a Core made like the 04 Pistons he can ( and basically every 1st and second option in this league can)

With a team made of two high paid stars and role players being him the 1st option , Nope.

Hellcrooner
02-02-2011, 12:50 AM
When was the last time someone actually won it by himself? MJ had Pippen, Kobe had Shaq/Pau. Those are two of the biggest names that come to mind for me when Alpha Dog is mentioned.

rick barry.
That was the last ( and ONLY) time.

eXpLiiCt
02-02-2011, 12:51 AM
oh well, he will have to win rings being the #2 guy...funny thing is, a championship is a championship right?...other wise kobe would only have 2 so far...right?

Adam Morrison > LeBron

Brain Scalabrenee > LeBron

Go home.

oak2455
02-02-2011, 12:51 AM

LBJ is a follower not a leader, Wade is a leader difference:D

justinnum1
02-02-2011, 12:57 AM

totally agree.

wade is the best player in the game today.

jimm120
02-02-2011, 12:57 AM
Key word is 'deep' into the playoffs. By himself? No. I think Amare can push a Knicks team like the one this year to a first round upset and a second round exit at best.

Like PC said, Amar'e wasn't meant to do it all alone, he needs another guy besides him.

Also for the record I don't think that Wade and CP3 are 'Alpha Dogs' by your definition. Wade led the Miami team last year to the playoffs, yeah, but not deep. When Wade won the 'ship he won it with a Shaquille O'Neal in his (although late) prime. I can make the same argument for CP3.

LeBron is the epitome of doing it with a one man show, as was Kobe, and maybe even Dwight, though he had solid help that year when Lewis and Turkoglu exploded.

What you talking about?

Kobe won with Shaq (it was more of a Shaq winning with Kobe)
Kobe won nothing by himself.
Kobe won with Pau.

Kobe by himself couldn't do it.

Shaq by himself (along with a good team) might have had a better chance of winning those early 2000's than Kobe by himself (and a good team).

In the years he didn't have Shaq and "only" had a good team, his teams were no where close.

Just wanted to say that.

Meatmypet
02-02-2011, 01:00 AM

You cant discredit what Lebron did with the Cavs during his 7 years in Cleveland. Taking the Cavs to the Finals in '07 ALONE...

Granted, the last couple of years were kinda upsetting, but he did all he could alone. He's a leader, just trying to find an easier way out by joining Wade.

eXpLiiCt
02-02-2011, 01:04 AM
totally agree.

You know that guy KOBE?

knicks4life33
02-02-2011, 01:06 AM
put chris bosh on the suns they arent goin to the western conference finals all those years and he aint averaging 36 points per game aganist tim duncan in playoff series

oak2455
02-02-2011, 01:11 AM
totally agree.

IDK about that:D

lvlheaded
02-02-2011, 01:14 AM
He can win a ring being the number one option with the right team around him. Honestly, this is his team from now on, no matter who comes here. Pair him and Melo and I believe they can win a ring together.

justinnum1
02-02-2011, 01:15 AM
You know that guy KOBE?
yea, he had his time...but wade is better today

CityofChaos
02-02-2011, 01:17 AM
a true first option someone who can lead a team deep and possibly a championship by himself or the best player on the team and be mentioned in the same names as wade, bron, dwight,paul etc

Edit: please elaborate as to why or why not. all opinions are appreciated and shouldn't be dogged on.

Did you think of Steve Nash and whether or not the Suns won a championship with that duo before you thought of the first question?

CityofChaos
02-02-2011, 01:19 AM
He can win a ring being the number one option with the right team around him. Honestly, this is his team from now on, no matter who comes here. Pair him and Melo and I believe they can win a ring together.

Both players play subpar defense. There is no way that Melo and Amare get past the Celtics in a 7 game series.

NYYCowboys
02-02-2011, 01:23 AM
Amare can't win it by himself, and neither could any player in the NBA. It's unfair to try and put all this pressure on him and bash him because he's incapable of making his team into a championship contender single handedly because there isn't one player in the NBA right now who has done it.

Lebron IMO is the only player who is capable of this feat. He got a Cavs team that is 8-40 this year into the finals once, and had them as a #1 seed in the conference last year. It would have been fun to see him try this feat back in Cleveland, or another team without a superstar, but now we will never know.

lvlheaded
02-02-2011, 01:35 AM
Both players play subpar defense. There is no way that Melo and Amare get past the Celtics in a 7 game series.

Im not saying they win it this year. But 2 years down the road, when Felton-Melo-Amar'e have had time together when Timo Mosgov has had time to develop into what the Knicks thought he would be when they signed him and when Chandler Gallo Fields(whoever would be left over from a Melo trade) have developed more, the Knicks would be a dangerous team.

Like I said though, Amar'e can't do this on his own. He has to have the right team around him.

Personally I dont think any player in the league can do it by themself. Kobe had Shaq and Gasol, Wade had Shaq, Duncan had Parker and Manu,The Celts had the big three, etc etc. This is a league where you need a whole team now, one player cant do it alone.

knicks4life33
02-02-2011, 01:38 AM
every1 needs a second guy. look at lebron he just quit last year in the playoffs cause he couldnt do it bye himself so went to miami

justinnum1
02-02-2011, 01:43 AM
every1 needs a second guy. look at lebron he just quit last year in the playoffs cause he couldnt do it bye himself so went to miami

lucky us

knicks4life33
02-02-2011, 01:45 AM
yea u got a quitter lucky you lol

justinnum1
02-02-2011, 01:50 AM
yea u got a quitter lucky you lol

whats funnier is the knicks wanted him more than the heat fans did LMFAO

Kenny
02-02-2011, 01:52 AM
yea, he had his time...but wade is better today

LMAO guy is 2nd fiddle on his own team.. Guy will probable have a 3 time NBA MVP on his team in a few months

knicks4life33
02-02-2011, 01:52 AM
ill admit they did but there arent enough heat fans out there to want him so kinda hard

pastrecedes
02-02-2011, 01:53 AM
Lebron's an alpha dog! lol

madiaz3
02-02-2011, 01:54 AM
If melo joined the knicks and the knicks won a title i would consider it amare's team and him as the #1 option unless melo somehow scores 30ppg

justinnum1
02-02-2011, 01:55 AM
ill admit they did but there arent enough heat fans out there to want him so kinda hard

:shrug: I got my season tickets, and thats all that mattes to me. Just funny to me, you call lebron a quitter, but would have welcomed him on your team. :cool:

SluggeR
02-02-2011, 01:57 AM
By your logic, no one is an alpha dog. No one wins it by themself....

knicks4life33
02-02-2011, 01:58 AM
i was never a fan of lebron but i know hes the best player in the league and i knew he wasnt coming to the knicks so doesnt matter. he ruined his legacy to play 2nd and 3rd fiddle

justinnum1
02-02-2011, 02:00 AM
i was never a fan of lebron but i know hes the best player in the league and i knew he wasnt coming to the knicks so doesnt matter. he ruined his legacy to play 2nd and 3rd fiddle

like i care about his legacy. I am a heat fan first and foremost and wade is my favorite player...we had 16 mil after signing wade and bosh...what would you do, take lebron or go after haywood and someone else???? it was a no brainer and now miami has the foundation of something special

knicks4life33
02-02-2011, 02:03 AM
obv go for bron and i know u dont give 2 craps about legacy im talkin about lebron and its funny how the heat fans defend lebron on here like its there new born

justinnum1
02-02-2011, 02:09 AM
obv go for bron and i know u dont give 2 craps about legacy im talkin about lebron and its funny how the heat fans defend lebron on here like its there new born

:facepalm: you would too if he was on your team...but the fact that you and other hate on him, even tho you are aware he is the best, is comical. Especially if the number 1 reason haters hate is "lbj didnt choose my team" grow up people.

i hope knicks get melo, and knicks -heat meet in the second round.

KingPosey
02-02-2011, 02:13 AM
I think he can be a true first option ie, lead his team in scoring, but no one can do it alone anymore. He needs a true #2, everyone does in today's NBA

knicks4life33
02-02-2011, 02:14 AM
i told u b4 he is the best and i told u i knew the whole time he wasnt coming here and actually if some1 talked about a player on my team i dont think i would argue back and forth cause its pretty stupid =)

Jewelz0376
02-02-2011, 02:16 AM
I think he's #2... I don't think there's any big out there that can lead a team to a title as the #1 scoring option...There are a couple bigs I think you can build around though..

NYKnicks4511
02-02-2011, 02:22 AM
What you talking about?

Kobe won with Shaq (it was more of a Shaq winning with Kobe)
Kobe won nothing by himself.
Kobe won with Pau.

Kobe by himself couldn't do it.

Shaq by himself (along with a good team) might have had a better chance of winning those early 2000's than Kobe by himself (and a good team).

In the years he didn't have Shaq and "only" had a good team, his teams were no where close.

Just wanted to say that.

By Alpha Dog I think he meant "being the clear cut #1 option." Pau was good, but was he an All-NBA PF/C when he was with Memphis? Don't think so. Essentially in Memphis, he was the focal point of the offense and put up 19 pts 8-9 rebs and 1.5 blocks.

Comparing Gasol with Shaq for example, is ridiculous because Shaq was a 28 pts, 13 rpg 3 blk player. Coupling Gasol with Kobe as a #2 option simply gave the Lakers an inside presence, which was THAT much more valuable because they had a player like Kobe.

Pretty much what I'm trying to convey is that Shaq in Miami could have lead that Heat team to the ECF's at least without Wade.

The Lakers' motor, is Kobe Bryant. Without him the triangle offense is a total waste -- though Gasol helped, IMO he wasn't a clear cut 'Robin' to Kobe's batman. That team just has a lot of depth and has players like Odom and Fisher as well. Bottom line is that Kobe is the alpha dog, and runs the team.

The years Kobe had a 'good team' you might be referring to Kwame Brown, Odom, Chris Mihm, Ronny Turiaf, Jordan Farmar, Smush Parker? They still made the playoffs and won games in the postseason despite being a terrible, horrendous supporting cast.

In response to the second bolded part of your quote, yes, I am quite aware that Shaq was the #1 option on the three-peat teams. However, the last two years it's been Kobe with the new Lakers.

d nuggets fan
02-02-2011, 02:25 AM
Amare is an Alpha Dog. Under D'Antonis system he is good all the way up until defense matters like, the Playoffs. Amare isn't a very good defensive alpha dog huh? Where is the Knicks defensively? 29th right? Not so good. If you have seen the West and Pheonix undr D'Antoni with Amare, defensively Amare is a dog alright. A defensive dog. Stop kidding yourself. Scoring is only less than half the battle and Amare sucks defensivly.

believeinNYK
02-02-2011, 02:28 AM
I believe Amare can definitely lead a top contender And win a ring being the #1 guy but he needs another star(melo) and some support from our role guys (Felton, gallo, fields, Chandler) no one can do it without some support, not even lbj

Once the Knicks get a 2nd star and a legit center, I think we have a great chance at contending

boriquaabe
02-02-2011, 02:30 AM
No.... but he's more of an alpha dog than Chris Bosh this I know for sure.

Crackadalic
02-02-2011, 02:32 AM
Amare is an Alpha Dog. Under D'Antonis system he is good all the way up until defense matters like, the Playoffs. Amare isn't a very good defensive alpha dog huh? Where is the Knicks defensively? 29th right? Not so good. If you have seen the West and Pheonix undr D'Antoni with Amare, defensively Amare is a dog alright. A defensive dog. Stop kidding yourself. Scoring is only less than half the battle and Amare sucks defensivly.

The knicks are 27th in points allowed but thats because of pace and their 20th in defensive efficiency but thats a whole other topic

You cant knock Mike's system and his team getting beat by the dynasty spurs in the middle 2000's. Yes Amare D was sup par during this years but nobody could handle him one on one.

By the way nuggets made it to the conference finals probably once since melo came so you cant really bash another team for getting beat in the conference finals twice.

Ive watch Amare since he came out of high school and now im watching him now as a knick. His defense is still bad at times but is way better now then his phoenix days

TrueFan420
02-02-2011, 03:24 AM

bs kobe didnt go any where without shaq. it took him getting pau to get back there.

Zetterberg40
02-02-2011, 03:33 AM
Only if he has a very strong supporting cast I think is better as a 2nd option but there is no denying he is one of the best players in the NBA, I just dont regard him in the elite category at this time. So I vote no but its deff possible if he is surrounded with a strong cast like I stated

Raph12
02-02-2011, 03:47 AM
Depends how good his 2nd option is... With Gallo/Felton, no chance; CP3/Melo, now you got yourself a 1st option lol.

Flash3
02-02-2011, 09:29 AM
No.... but he's more of an alpha dog than Chris Bosh this I know for sure.

ok

Flash3
02-02-2011, 09:30 AM
i aslo said be mentioned in the same name as the elites. lebron wade kobe paul etc

J-Relo
02-02-2011, 10:11 AM
I think he can be a true first option ie, lead his team in scoring, but no one can do it alone anymore. He needs a true #2, everyone does in today's NBA

anymore?

ATX
02-02-2011, 10:17 AM

And is it then not funny to you that the billion hate the Heat threads are started by Bulls, Knicks, and Lakers fans?

SteBO
02-02-2011, 10:24 AM
And is it then not funny to you that the billion hate the Heat threads are started by Bulls, Knicks, and Lakers fans?
Laker fans haven't been bad in my eyes. They at least respect us and appreciate good basketball.

Weezy
02-02-2011, 10:36 AM
really kobe can do it by himself? LMFAAOOOOOOO u kobme fans are funny, kobme has taken a team full of scrubs to the finals.. just stop it already kids

Pretty sure he is a Knicks fan.......

avrpatsfan
02-02-2011, 10:45 AM
I don't think so.

ATX
02-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Laker fans haven't been bad in my eyes. They at least respect us and appreciate good basketball.

Your right Stebo. It's just that one certain newbie Laker poster that has been causing all the trouble.

Ray_R
02-02-2011, 11:17 AM

Those teams have the highest fans in this forum so there is bound to be bad apples here and there. so dont be throwing all the trolls with the same bunch.

koreancabbage
02-02-2011, 11:24 AM
no. the guy can BARELY rebound during a playoff game and doesn't play extraordinary defense. I'm pretty sure he had more talent around him in Phoenix than he does in New York, but give credit where its due- him and Felton have been playing pretty good, but they do play in the weak Eastern Conference.

lets see what they can do in the playoffs in the East before saying he's an "alpha dog"

KnicksorBust
02-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Yes. He's #1 in the NBA in fourth quarter scoring and has turned around the Knicks franchise. We've been a joke for a very long time and now we're a young team who is solidly in the playoffs.

The twist is that if Carmelo comes then it will be interesting to see who gets more touches. Melo is used to playing the "Alpha Dog" role as well.

Da Knicks
02-02-2011, 11:25 AM
rick barry.
That was the last ( and ONLY) time.

wrong the last time was hakeem the dream.;)

KnicksorBust
02-02-2011, 11:25 AM
no. the guy can BARELY rebound during a playoff game and doesn't play extraordinary defense. I'm pretty sure he had more talent around him in Phoenix than he does in New York, but give credit where its due- him and Felton have been playing pretty good, but they do play in the weak Eastern Conference.

lets see what they can do in the playoffs in the East before saying he's an "alpha dog"

Come on. Him averaging over 40ppg on the greatest PF of all-time isn't enough proof that he can bring it in the playoffs? :)

Flash3
02-02-2011, 11:34 AM
out of curiousity where does amare rank among pf's

rhymeratic
02-02-2011, 11:34 AM
As long as he has elite wings that can get him the ball consistently.... honestly nope. He can't dominate games without spacing.

bedford1829
02-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Not sure if Amare can do it alone with Everyone teaming up

This. The state of the NBA has clearly shifted to the need for a "big 3" I.e. (Bryant, gasol, odom/Bynum), (wade,lebron, bosh), (Allen, pierce, Garnett). The Knicks can probably claim two pieces to that with amare and either felton or gallo, but they are missing that legitimate second star like melo to propel them to the next level

ATX
02-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Those teams have the highest fans in this forum so there is bound to be bad apples here and there. so dont be throwing all the trolls with the same bunch.

True

I voted no, thinking that he'll need a Melo or Paul type player to be a legit title contender...Again, I'm not taking ANYTHING away from Amare. He is a top player in this league. I just think that even if NY were to upgrade their center and their wings developed a little further, it still wouldn't be enough to get past the likes of the top 3 or 4 teams. Now if they land Paul or Melo plus adding a capable center, then I can admitt that that team could win it all. I think he is an "Alpha dog" but needs a seceond Alpha dog to truly contend. Look at the Celts with Pierce and Garnet...Heat with James and Wade...Lakers with Kobe and Gasol. No one can do it all alone. I don't know why I'd be expected to believe that Amare can lead his team to a title without a significant player upgrade. I mean Wade couldn't do it all on his own, James or Garnett either. Even Kobe couldn't do it all on his own. There's no shame in it. Amare is a beast, but he needs help.

LakersIn5
02-02-2011, 11:57 AM

they dont have to as long as they can avoid the celtics in the playoffs. the magic can do that for them. lol

assuming that this is the standings come playoff time
1. celtics 2. heat 3. bulls 4. magic 5. hawks 6. knicks 7. whoever 8. whoever

1st round
celtics beats #8 whoever
heat beats #7 whoever
knicks beats bulls
magic beats hawks
2nd round
magic beats celtics
knicks beats heat
ECF
knicks beats magic

(to nba fans especially bulls fans im not saying that the knicks will beat the bulls&heat&magic and magic will beat the celtics. im just using it as an example that the knicks dont have to beat the celtics to reach the nba finals as a reply to cityofchaos' post)

ATX
02-02-2011, 12:06 PM
they dont have to as long as they can avoid the celtics in the playoffs. the magic can do that for them. lol

assuming that this is the standings come playoff time
1. celtics 2. heat 3. bulls 4. magic 5. hawks 6. knicks 7. whoever 8. whoever

1st round
celtics beats #8 whoever
heat beats #7 whoever
knicks beats bulls
magic beats hawks
2nd round
magic beats celtics
knicks beats heat
ECF
knicks beats magic

(to nba fans especially bulls fans im not saying that the knicks will beat the bulls&heat&magic and magic will beat the celtics. im just using it as an example that the knicks dont have to beat the celtics to reach the nba finals as a reply to cityofchaos' post)

Edit: Just read your disclaimer.

bowdown27
02-02-2011, 02:56 PM
I do believe amare is. Even if Carmelo does come to ny amare still will be the Main guy. He came here first and has made this team relevant again. They do need help to be a legit contender but I still believe whoever does come, amare is the man

Confusious
02-02-2011, 03:21 PM
No.

NYKnicks4511
02-02-2011, 04:41 PM
out of curiousity where does amare rank among pf's

Top 4. Dirk - Amare - Griffin - Gasol. Although I do see Blake being better than Amare in a year or two when he starts knocking down the midrange jumper consistently. Gasol and Dirk have different playing styles than Amar'e, I would classify Pau as more of a center, but him and Dirk are both great players.

Kashmir13579
02-02-2011, 06:42 PM
nobody can do it alone. can he do it as the best player on the team? sure. maybe not under the current coaching staff, but hey, who knows.

Kashmir13579
02-02-2011, 06:45 PM

actually if the Knicks run and gun Celtics bigs will become a nonfactor. i'm not saying the odds are in their favor to beat the Cs in 7 games but they have played hard against them this season.

alexander_37
02-02-2011, 06:50 PM
No he is not Justin Timberlake..... T-lake is way tougher.

I'm Seriously
02-02-2011, 06:51 PM
put chris bosh on the suns they arent goin to the western conference finals all those years and he aint averaging 36 points per game aganist tim duncan in playoff series

Someone clearly wasn't watching basketball in 2006.... you know when Amare missed the entire season and the Suns went just as far in the playoffs without him.

PJAF
02-02-2011, 06:52 PM
To answer the question YES!

THE MTL
02-02-2011, 07:08 PM

This is so false...ur definition of a true "first" option. There is only one player in the whole league who can lead a team deep into the playoffs by himself and that is only LEBRON JAMES! Kobe couldnt even do it (failure to make playoffs & then first round exit).

An "Alpha" dog is a mentality and a characteristic. I would call KG an alpha dog. Cause of his mentality and the way he holds ppl responsible and expects the most from his teammates.

Once again, you are classifying "ELITE" NBA players. Paul-Kobe-Lebron-Wade-Durant-Howard. Those are the only six Elite players in the league.

Everyone else, like Deron, Amare, Melo are what I call an Option 1A or 1B. Yes they can lead a team to the playoffs but in order for these player's teams to have a legit shot at a title is to get another 1A or 1B along side of them.

Flash3
02-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Top 4. Dirk - Amare - Griffin - Gasol. Although I do see Blake being better than Amare in a year or two when he starts knocking down the midrange jumper consistently. Gasol and Dirk have different playing styles than Amar'e, I would classify Pau as more of a center, but him and Dirk are both great players.

i dont think he can do it as the best player... he needs maybe someone like a paul/mello ( unless you think amare is better than either) basically someone with equal talent or more..