PDA

View Full Version : Was the Gilbert Arenas deal a mistake?

Chronz
02-01-2011, 08:57 PM
This deal was independent of the move that brought in Hedo-JRich, the best aspect of trading away Rashard was that it forced them to play Ryan Anderson but is that really enough to offset the fact that Arenas has played even worse than Shard did + the fact that hes owed an extra year in salary?

llemon
02-01-2011, 08:59 PM
You mean Wiz acquiring him for all that money back in '03?

bulls_world23
02-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Yea I think that was a bad move. They lost size. I still think hedo is a horrible player.

superkegger
02-01-2011, 09:06 PM
It was a gamble. I think it's still too premature to tell. I think the gamble is that we saw what Shard had become, and I really don't think he was going to re-blossom into something spectacular. So you gamble that giving Gil a fresh start would spark his career and he'd bounce back to maybe 3/4 the player he was.

Chronz
02-01-2011, 09:08 PM
You mean Wiz acquiring him for all that money back in '03?

That was indefensible but obviously not

GeekInThePink
02-01-2011, 09:11 PM
We'll find out after the playoffs.

Raps08-09 Champ
02-01-2011, 09:15 PM
I thought Arenas would explode. He still has the talent.

If they give him 30-38 minutes, he can get at least 18 and 6 IMO.

beasted86
02-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Arenas sucks. I was really rooting for him, and he's done nothing.

nwilder
02-01-2011, 09:25 PM
I liked it for the magic because I thought Jason Richardson could be huge for the magic. I still think they made the right move. Arenas needs more PT to be effective and I think they should give him more.

SteBO
02-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Bad deal from the start. A big part of the problem for the oppoistion against ORL in '09 was the size of the Orlando's starting front court with Hedo, Shard, and Dwight. In fact, since Marcin was part of a seperate deal, a good one that brought in an upgrade over Vince in J-Rich and Hedo, keeping the extra size was vital. Now, if Dwight gets in foul trouble, they'll have issues.

CityofChaos
02-01-2011, 09:39 PM
How was it a mistake? Both players had HUGE contracts that no other team would even dare take on. It was an even trade with no big risks involved.

I think Arenas will be much more effective come playoff time....

kobebabe
02-01-2011, 09:41 PM
No because they lost size. Are they even trying to get a back up center? If not, they can't go too deep in the playoffs. atleast not past the c's

jdmd3
This deal was independent of the move that brought in Hedo-JRich, the best aspect of trading away Rashard was that it forced them to play Ryan Anderson but is that really enough to offset the fact that Arenas has played even worse than Shard did + the fact that hes owed an extra year in salary?

Coming from a Magic fan, I think it was nice risk for Otis to take for a number of reasons:

1. Lewis has already "maxed-out" with the Magic. We already know that we're never going to get more than a 10-13 points and a 4-5 rebounds from a guy who played 30+ minutes. With Arenas, there's still a chance that he can get healthy and be productive player. He's 28 or 29, he's had a lot of rest due to the injury and suspension, he's playing at his home town, and he's playing for Otis Smith, a person he's very close with, all of these factor in helping him regain his old self.

2. Frees up Ryan Anderson and Bass who bring more to the table in terms of scoring and rebounding.

3. Moves Duhon as our 3rd string point guard.

4. His contract has a player option for the year of 2012-2013. It's unlikely, but he might be willing to restructure his contract to help the Magic with their cap situation. If there's a person that can convince him to opt out, it's going to be Otis because of their close relationship and possibly as a result of Arenas wanting to show appreciation for Otis willingness to bail him out of Washington. I repeat, it's unlikely, but Arenas has shown his willingness to take a pay cut back in Washington, so he might do it again.

Draco
Not if it leads to discouraging Dwight from re-signing and giving the Bulls a chance to get him on a S&T. And if that's not the case then who cares. :p

Chi StateOfMind
02-01-2011, 09:46 PM
to me there still one dimensional and depend on threes the way you win is DEFENSE which only howard has...and not to be a homer but look when the bulls played they let howard drop 40 and the rest of the team did NOTHING...another example kobe dropped 41 on the celtics look where that landed him even though lakers still could win with that team and the magic arfent on their level im just making an example.....when orlando i mean stan van gundy learns to use howard right they wont win

justinnum1
02-01-2011, 09:50 PM
to me there still one dimensional and depend on threes the way you win is DEFENSE which only howard has...and not to be a homer but look when the bulls played they let howard drop 40 and the rest of the team did NOTHING...another example kobe dropped 41 on the celtics look where that landed him even though lakers still could win with that team and the magic arfent on their level im just making an example.....when orlando i mean stan van gundy learns to use howard right they wont win

what do you mean? how should they be using him?

Chi StateOfMind
02-01-2011, 09:57 PM
^^^
when he gets the most touches down low getting the oppositons bigs out the game instead of shooting 30 threes a game

Mile High Champ
02-01-2011, 09:58 PM
I think Orlando management & ownership was so concerned about the off chance that Howard would leave the Magic when his contract is up that they gambled on a trade they had no chance in winning. They hoped that Arenas would become the offensive threat he used to be but they should of known he is no longer the same player, heck it showed in Washingtion and they made the deal anyway.

I think the trade has to be a mistake considering what Arenas is currently doing for the club. That is certainly a lot of money to pay a sixth man with a bad shot and no defense to his name. The deak backfired and it is really going to cost Orlando in the future. Two bad contracts in Hedo and Arenas have crippled a team that was going to see some serious cap room with their old roster.

kjoke
02-01-2011, 10:03 PM
nelson has a history of injuries we shall see..../

Bishnoff
02-01-2011, 10:21 PM
We'll find out after the playoffs.

This. It's too early to tell.

KnicksorBust
02-01-2011, 10:22 PM
I love the move for the playoffs. As a 6th man, Arenas is deadly. He can win you two playoff games in a series. And if he's off, just sit him and go with your Nelson-Jrich-Hedo-Anderson-Howard lineup in crunchtime.

THE MTL
02-01-2011, 10:38 PM
It was a mistake and the Magic are worse for it.

Arenas sucks and is shooting 37% and doesnt even average 9ppg when his team is stacked full of talent.

They got smaller when they actually needed more size for when Howard takes a break

Best move about the deal was Jason Richardson.

Also, you have to factor in the salary as well. They not only took on the only contract in the NBA that is worse than Rashard Lewis, but they also took on Turkoglu and then matched an overpaid deal for JJ Redick.

Evolution23
02-01-2011, 10:43 PM
Magic made a good move! Watch when Gilbert steps up in the playoffs... He's been out the game for a long time, let him get into some type of rythem

WizFan3
02-01-2011, 10:51 PM
wo wo wo wo wo wo r u guys saying tht the wizards r the ones who won in this deal take it from me lewis has a worse contract he more awful then arenas was his shot is still way off and he tries to be this teams leader but hes not what r u ppl tlkn about we got ripped off

Mile High Champ
02-01-2011, 11:09 PM
wo wo wo wo wo wo r u guys saying tht the wizards r the ones who won in this deal take it from me lewis has a worse contract he more awful then arenas was his shot is still way off and he tries to be this teams leader but hes not what r u ppl tlkn about we got ripped off

Please use some proper grammar because I did not understand a word of this.