PDA

View Full Version : Walton to Oden: Leave NBA, move to Hawaii, focus on health, self identity

Gators123
02-01-2011, 01:26 AM
http://www.kgw.com/sports/Walton-to-Oden-Leave-NBA-move-to-Hawaii-focus-on-health-self-identity-114979164.html

My recommendation for Greg would be to move to Hawaii, lose a ton of weight, start his life over, just focus on health, movement, the happiness of what can be in life. And start over.

(Leave the NBA?)

What he's doing right now is not working. Just start over.

I mean it's not happening for him doing this.

Hopefully, he'll be able to come back.

(He should take a break then?)

Start over. Lose a ton of weight. Do what any rationale person would do in a health crisis.

In any crisis, go back to your core, back to who you are.

It's not about slight adjustment on the perimeter, on the fringe. It's about who you are, what you do, what you stand for.

Greg Oden has alot to offer to the is world. He is so much more than just a basketball player. He is a very smart guy and he is a a leader, and he is incredibly personable and giving and loving and sharing and we just hope the best for him."

"What you learn over time, that it's all about your health. It's all about your family. All the rest of it is just stuff."

(Click the link for the full article and Video)

Crackadalic
02-01-2011, 01:29 AM
I dont know about leaving basketball all together but I agree that he needs to focus on getting himself healthy and to get his legs stronger to handler any added weight

John Walls Era
02-01-2011, 01:31 AM
Make an impact outside of bball? I can't imagine that; good luck kid.

nickdymez
02-01-2011, 01:34 AM
That Luke Walton is a crazy kid!!!

iggypop123
02-01-2011, 01:34 AM
why would he leave baksetball. he makes money for not playing. i wish walton had been more persistent with his son. he just steals money from the lakers.

Swashcuff
02-01-2011, 01:35 AM
Anyone who appreciates the amount of pain that Bill Walton had to endure due to his various injuries would totally understand why he'd give such advice.

I would love for Oden to get healthy and start playing up to his potential though. The NBA is missing players like him.

Giraffes Rule
02-01-2011, 01:38 AM
All Walton's ever done outside of the NBA is annoy the crap out of me trying to be a broadcaster. Oden can be an NBA player, just needs to get healthy and adjust his game. Antonio McDyess had knee issues too and he's still throwing down on people today.

ElFuturoDeESPN
02-01-2011, 01:39 AM

This came from Blazers legend BILL Walton. If this were coming from Luke it wouldn't even be news worthy.

Chi StateOfMind
02-01-2011, 01:45 AM
oden will never be good period..............

Ovratd1up
02-01-2011, 01:46 AM
Far too wise for anyone to take seriously.

Gators123
02-01-2011, 01:48 AM
oden will never be good period..............

He was good when he was actually on the court.

abe_froman
02-01-2011, 01:54 AM
He was good when he was actually on the court.

which is when? 10 mins a season?

.he's injured so often and for such long length's that he's hardly ever on the court.his story is more of a "what could have been" career than anything remotely resembling actual career

pd1dish
02-01-2011, 01:54 AM
Make an impact outside of bball? I can't imagine that; good luck kid.

yeah idk how he would make ANY impact outside of basketball. the kid only went to school for a year and he is a multi-multi-millionaire so i dont think he will go back and finish school.

i think that walton gave oden horrible advice. i think hes right in saying that oden needs to get healthy but i think that he needs to stay in basketball. i hope walton actually didnt mean leave basketball forever, but thats sure what it sounds like.

210Don
02-01-2011, 01:55 AM
the blazers took big guys over legends twice LOL wow

Hellcrooner
02-01-2011, 01:58 AM
Hopw bout moving to Europe for a year, signing to a spanish/italian/Greek team that will not make playoffs?

that would be like 30 games ( 40 minutes games not 48) in wich he could regain shape and work on fundamentals?

Then back to portland

Gators123
02-01-2011, 01:58 AM
which is when? 10 mins a season?

.he's injured so often and for such long length's that he's hardly ever on the court.his story is more of a "what could have been" career than anything remotely resembling actual career

Obviously he wasn't on the court a long time, but enough to show what hes capable of.

Season Age Tm Lg G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
2008-09 21 POR NBA 61 39 21.5 3.2 5.8 .564 0.0 0.0 2.4 3.7 .637 2.8 4.2 7.0 0.5 0.4 1.1 1.4 3.9 8.9
2009-10 22 POR NBA 21 21 23.9 4.4 7.2 .605 0.0 0.0 2.3 3.0 .766 3.0 5.4 8.5 0.9 0.4 2.3 1.9 4.0 11.1

Season Age Tm Lg G MP PER TS% eFG% ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% ORtg DRtg OWS DWS WS WS/48
2008-09 21 POR NBA 61 1314 18.1 .599 .564 15.7 24.5 20.0 3.9 1.1 4.2 16.2 19.3 116 104 2.6 2.0 4.6 0.167
2009-10 22 POR NBA 21 502 23.1 .647 .605 15.6 28.3 21.9 6.7 0.9 7.7 17.8 20.7 118 100 1.3 1.0 2.2 0.214

Hellcrooner
02-01-2011, 01:59 AM

I guess you talk bout Mj and Durant.

Well they passed on Dr Julius Erving for Rusty Larue and Passed on Larry Bird for Mychal thompson.

Make it four.

Next time they get the first pick they shoudl jsut trade it for someone who already is a star.

DerekRE_3
02-01-2011, 02:07 AM
Anyone who appreciates the amount of pain that Bill Walton had to endure due to his various injuries would totally understand why he'd give such advice.

I would love for Oden to get healthy and start playing up to his potential though. The NBA is missing players like him.

Yep. It got so bad for him that he contemplated suicide. He does commentating for the Kings from time to time. He's great at it. I've heard that he feels a lot better now, which is great to hear.

Chi StateOfMind
02-01-2011, 02:14 AM
they should make a 30 for 30 video "The Talent That Never Started"

BRICKCITYPIMP12
02-01-2011, 02:16 AM
hahaha wow..he wont ever "leave" but yea he needs to do somthing to change what/who he is.

Phenomenonsense
02-01-2011, 02:19 AM
He needs to sign a deal for the minimum with the Pistons for two years. Get healthy under the watchful eye of Arnie Kander. No playing before he's ready, get paid to do nothing but get back in shape. It's a chance I'd take as a Pistons fan.

D1JM
02-01-2011, 02:21 AM
Walton should tell his son that too.

Antipod
02-01-2011, 02:22 AM
DO anything, just get back healthy !

Geargo Wallace
02-01-2011, 02:42 AM
go to Phoenix

Gators123
02-01-2011, 03:37 AM
I'd love to get him to Detroit, I think Arnie Kander could put him back on the court.

xabial
02-01-2011, 03:44 AM
For a second i thought it was Luke Walton.

ragee
02-01-2011, 04:09 AM
I'd love to get him to Detroit, I think Arnie Kander could put him back on the court.

Is he the athletic trainer of the Pistons?

JPHX
02-01-2011, 04:44 AM
go to Phoenix

lol. i know right. our athletic trainers will get him right and plus the plane ticket would be a lot cheaper.

Gibby
02-01-2011, 04:56 AM
I hope he gets healthy too but bill walton is being vague. whats with "starting over" thing and moving to hawai. i am pretty he can get treatment where he is. Is he just pushing himself to hard? is that what walton is trying to say?

Davisayan
02-01-2011, 05:32 AM
he's too old. Who really believes he's the age he claims to be?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSzaHFWcJUkkLtq70Zc7u7jM2ABtIDJ selvy67tK26Z-xHdTEK

dodie53
02-01-2011, 09:19 AM
rest, rehab
then go back stronger

Gators123
02-01-2011, 02:50 PM
yeah idk how he would make ANY impact outside of basketball. the kid only went to school for a year and he is a multi-multi-millionaire so i dont think he will go back and finish school.

i think that walton gave oden horrible advice. i think hes right in saying that oden needs to get healthy but i think that he needs to stay in basketball. i hope walton actually didnt mean leave basketball forever, but thats sure what it sounds like.

Sounded like that to me too.

Jack of Blades
02-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Hopw bout moving to Europe for a year, signing to a spanish/italian/Greek team that will not make playoffs?

that would be like 30 games ( 40 minutes games not 48) in wich he could regain shape and work on fundamentals?

Then back to portland

Because Hawaii > Europe.

Azzacadabra
02-01-2011, 03:02 PM
I can't stand Bill Walton, he's such a farce. He adheres to the gentle sweet persona, which makes him look like a phony because he doesn't even pull it off well.

As for Oden, when he was on the floor he looked like the number one pick. It's just a sharp dagger to the blazers to know that injuries might inevitably destroy his potential. Kinda like Grant Hill. Even though Grant Hill has had a great career regardless.

blacknell
02-01-2011, 03:04 PM
This came from Blazers legend BILL Walton. If this were coming from Luke it wouldn't even be news worthy.

if it was luke walton then he should take his own advice

AddiX
02-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Why are you guys ripping Walton for this?

he has terrible back problems and is in severe pain on a normal basis. He even told his son that he should leave basketball because he's starting to have the same back problems and he says it kills him to think his son will be in the same pain he is.

He is saying this to help Oden realize there is life after basketball. You guys are really hating hard for no reason.

Unlike fans and ownership, Walton actually cares about the players long term health.

Bornknick73
02-01-2011, 03:53 PM
While Walton may be a annoying announcer to some, what some of you fail to grasp is this man has had more impact on cultural America then you can possible imagine. Maybe some of you are too young to remember what a impact this man had on America in the late 60s through 70s.

The man has marched for civil rights, has been arrested for his beliefs in defending others who have been abused by the system. Bill Walton will always be more then just a NBA legend basketball player. Walton went to the Muhammad Ali School for social change. While some will say they hate him they cant deny the man marched for a lot of the rights you have today.

The man sees Oden as a person and not some NBA piece of meat, he knows what it is all about. The advice he is giving Oden is wiser then any of us could possibly understand right now. He comes from a era where substance meant more then style. The NBA could use more push the envelope types like Walton. The man is a legend in life not just basketball. Walton was a revolutionary and he didnt accept the injustices brought forth by his government.

So please, before you go bad mouthing the guy please research his life and what he stood for you might find out he fought for things you would probably fight for today.

America could use more people like Bill Walton, maybe not to call games but to fight for injustices instead of following the status quo like a lot of the modern day sports heroes...if you can call them that anymore.

hyb152
02-01-2011, 04:07 PM
All Walton's ever done outside of the NBA is annoy the crap out of me trying to be a broadcaster. Oden can be an NBA player, just needs to get healthy and adjust his game. Antonio McDyess had knee issues too and he's still throwing down on people today.

Mcdyess didn't have as many expectations as oden, a number 1 pick who was so dominant. And Walton has credibility here. One thing lot of ppl dont know is that Walton has restored his life. He had serious back problems and other pain that he almost committed suicide. He went and got a fresh start and got his life back on track.

hyb152
02-01-2011, 04:09 PM
While Walton may be a annoying announcer to some, what some of you fail to grasp is this man has had more impact on cultural America then you can possible imagine. Maybe some of you are too young to remember what a impact this man had on America in the late 60s through 70s.

The man has marched for civil rights, has been arrested for his beliefs in defending others who have been abused by the system. Bill Walton will always be more then just a NBA legend basketball player. Walton went to the Muhammad Ali School for social change. While some will say they hate him they cant deny the man marched for a lot of the rights you have today.

The man sees Oden as a person and not some NBA piece of meat, he knows what it is all about. The advice he is giving Oden is wiser then any of us could possibly understand right now. He comes from a era where substance meant more then style. The NBA could use more push the envelope types like Walton. The man is a legend in life not just basketball. Walton was a revolutionary and he didnt accept the injustices brought forth by his government.

So please, before you go bad mouthing the guy please research his life and what he stood for you might find out he fought for things you would probably fight for today.

America could use more people like Bill Walton, maybe not to call games but to fight for injustices instead of following the status quo like a lot of the modern day sports heroes...if you can call them that anymore.

I couldn't agree with u more. Excellent post. We definitely could use more people like bill walton.

smith&wesson
02-01-2011, 04:14 PM
thats just bad advice. oden should just rehab and rest, then work out hard to get back in shape and continue his career. none of this stuff stopped yao ming from collectin millions of dollars why should oden fold his hand ? he shouldnt. he should continue to try and get better and back on the courts. like every other injury prone player.

The Ooh Child
02-01-2011, 04:22 PM
I think Walton may have started using acid again

BluejaysFan08
02-01-2011, 04:22 PM

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::clap:

thephoenixson28
02-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Or just come to Phoenix.

king4day
02-01-2011, 04:58 PM
He could make 8 mil next year if his option is picked up. I think I'd stay.

Ovratd1up
02-01-2011, 05:18 PM

Thank you.

I think Walton may have started using acid again

If he wants Oden to realize what he has, he may have to slip some to Greg as well.

sep11ie
02-01-2011, 05:21 PM

Think that was sarcasm...

What was his message to his son, suicide?

fadedmario
02-01-2011, 08:20 PM
That's just hippy talk

Anilyzer
02-01-2011, 09:03 PM
http://www.kgw.com/sports/Walton-to-Oden-Leave-NBA-move-to-Hawaii-focus-on-health-self-identity-114979164.html

(Click the link for the full article and Video)

Cheese and crackers!! Everybody in LA has been wishing Luke Walton would do that (and retire) for like two years... and Luke still has 3 more years on his $6M a year contract. He is also quite possibly the worst SF in the league, although he stays fairly low profile by just sticking to the system and not doiing anything wrong (like taking shots). I mean, he could probably really help a team like New Jersey... if the Lakers could trade him, plus $10M in cash, for the last pick in the second round of the 2018 draft, I mean Ok, yes, let's do it.

Also... "going to Hawaii (??) and focusing on your self" sounds a lot like "go smoke weed."

Sorry, it does. If the Lakers want to break out of Lukes ENDLESS horrible contract, maybe they should just have him piss in a cup.

Anilyzer
02-01-2011, 09:06 PM
but maybe Oden should just move to Czechoslovakia, and have a bunch of plastic surgery or a sex change. Then he could become a secret agent or something.

Or maybe he should move to Alaska, and become a hunter with Sarah Palin, and focus on family values.

Or maybe he should move to Mexico and focus on eating tacos.

Or maybe he should buy a sail boat and sail solo to Borneo and Malyasia, and get in touch with the ocean and the sun.

I mean wtf...? This is perhaps one of the most bizarre interviews I've ever seen.

DoJoTheSlasher
02-01-2011, 09:12 PM

How is Durant a legend when he's played 3 years?

Swashcuff
02-01-2011, 09:19 PM
How is Durant a legend when he's played 3 years?

http://thehoopdoctors.com/online2/2010/04/kevin-durant-becomes-youngest-player-ever-to-win-nba-scoring-title/

^^ Is that legendary enough for Ya?

And he didn't have to be speaking about Durant you know.

NYY 26 to 7
02-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Man weed is awesome and shroomz are even better. Walton shouldn't have a mic in front of him when hes on them though - no one should. Oden just needs to keep working and hopefully it will work out for him one day.

Hulk6
02-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Bill walton went ham

Geargo Wallace
02-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Man weed is awesome and shroomz are even better. Walton shouldn't have a mic in front of him when hes on them though - no one should. Oden just needs to keep working and hopefully it will work out for him one day.

cocaine is one hell of a drug.

Swashcuff
02-01-2011, 10:41 PM

Do you know anything about Bill Walton's injury history? :facepalm: There's a reason he'd say what he said.

Ovratd1up
02-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Also... "going to Hawaii (??) and focusing on your self" sounds a lot like "go smoke weed."

Sorry, it does.

Don't be sorry. Sorry is living an empty life without fulfillment of any kind, leaving decision making to where the dollar takes you, all the while never stopping or questioning the processes which define your life.

cocaine is one hell of a drug.

Hey media manipulated masses of America, stop associating harmless, consciousness expanding substances with dangerous and senseless drugs. Sorry bout that.

Geargo Wallace
02-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Don't be sorry. Sorry is living an empty life without fulfillment of any kind, leaving decision making to where the dollar takes you, all the while never stopping or questioning the processes which define your life.

Hey media manipulated masses of America, stop associating harmless, consciousness expanding substances with dangerous and senseless drugs. Sorry bout that.

sorry Dr. Green Thumb.

¿QUE?
02-01-2011, 11:11 PM

I'm assuming you've never seen the Chappelle Show...

Geargo Wallace
02-01-2011, 11:17 PM

Which is very surprising. I mean most potheads love that ****.

Ovratd1up
02-01-2011, 11:29 PM
sorry Dr. Green Thumb.
Sorry, don't understand the reference :(.

Which is very surprising. I mean most potheads love that ****.

Chapelle's hilarious. That doesn't do anything to the ridiculous overgeneralization which in turn continues to push a certain notion of ignorance towards drugs. The 'potheads' term reaffirms this overgeneralization and stereotyping.

Anyways, I didn't mean to go after you specifically.

Geargo Wallace
02-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Sorry, don't understand the reference :(.

Chapelle's hilarious. That doesn't do anything to the ridiculous overgeneralization which in turn continues to push a certain notion of ignorance towards drugs. The 'potheads' term reaffirms this overgeneralization and stereotyping.

Anyways, I didn't mean to go after you specifically.

I don't have anything against pot users. I do it from time to time when a friend offers. I still don't think it's something ppl should be doing all the time. **** makes me lazy and hungry... and happy. I'm not allowed to be like that all the time. :)

Anilyzer
02-02-2011, 03:31 AM
I was just commenting, that it is kind of off the wall to say Oden should, specifically, go to Hawaii to find himself. And especially Walton... I mean it's well documented that Walton was on tour with the Grateful Dead or whatever, so he was probably frying balls out there under the stars at Dead shows; I mean, that doesn't mean he's a terrible person or something, you know, but to be honest he does sound like kind of a dumb**** sometimes. The word "dork" often comes to mind. I mean it's easy to make fun of people, and I guess I shouldn't go down this path.

But it's just kind of funny, because sports is usually regarded as such a wholesome activity, but Walton was apparently a big drug user.

I don't know... drugs are bad, mmmmmm'kay? Weed isn't as bad as things like prozac and ritalin, if you ask me, but if you start talking about the heavy stuff people take at Burnin Man or greatful dead shows or whatever... that's just fry-brain city.

Anyhow, anybody notice that Ricky Williams shaved off his dreads and apparently cleaned up his act and now he looks like Superman or something?

But yeah... go to Hawaii and find yourself... not such bad advice, but coming from Walton it does sound like "go smoke weed" or something.

Zetterberg40
02-02-2011, 03:44 AM
Why is Luke Walton saying anything about anyone he sucks when was the last time he averaged more than 5 points a season.

Zetterberg40
02-02-2011, 03:45 AM
Ah just read it wasn't from Luke so sorry for the insult Luke keep your head up and keep trying buddy my mistake

dc5jdm
02-02-2011, 05:45 AM
He should be givin luke the same advice. been injured all this time just takin up a bunch load of cap.

JasonJohnHorn
02-02-2011, 08:09 AM
I don't think Oden or anybody in the Portland organization is concerend about anything but Oden's long-term health. The team has already committed to him, and each time he's had an injury they sit him out the season and let him take his time to come back. Its just been bad luck.

As for walking away from the game, it is easy for Walton to say NOW. He's already won championships, and even after he took a dive for a few seasons due to injury he came back to come off the bench for Boston, so he certainly didn't take this advice.

For a guy who has made his name, its easy to say something like that, but for a young man who loves basketball and wants to prove to himself that he can be the best player he is capable of being, there is no such thing as quit. Just ask Grant Hill. And ask and 1980's version of Walton.

I agree, your health comes first, but let the man make his own way. He knows he's got money in the back and doesn't have to worry about that, he knows he can take his time, and the Portland organization is being extremely supportive. Let him take his time and decide what is best for him.

Gram
02-02-2011, 11:11 AM
I think his son should leave basketball. lol.

KnicksorBust
02-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Obviously he wasn't on the court a long time, but enough to show what hes capable of.

Season Age Tm Lg G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
2008-09 21 POR NBA 61 39 21.5 3.2 5.8 .564 0.0 0.0 2.4 3.7 .637 2.8 4.2 7.0 0.5 0.4 1.1 1.4 3.9 8.9
2009-10 22 POR NBA 21 21 23.9 4.4 7.2 .605 0.0 0.0 2.3 3.0 .766 3.0 5.4 8.5 0.9 0.4 2.3 1.9 4.0 11.1

Season Age Tm Lg G MP PER TS% eFG% ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% ORtg DRtg OWS DWS WS WS/48
2008-09 21 POR NBA 61 1314 18.1 .599 .564 15.7 24.5 20.0 3.9 1.1 4.2 16.2 19.3 116 104 2.6 2.0 4.6 0.167
2009-10 22 POR NBA 21 502 23.1 .647 .605 15.6 28.3 21.9 6.7 0.9 7.7 17.8 20.7 118 100 1.3 1.0 2.2 0.214

Good post. That guy can definately contribute at the NBA level. Averaging around 11-9-2 and shooting 60% from the field at age 22. He needs to get healthy obviously and that might start with losing some weight and building your legs and core but I don't think he needs to go to Hawaii to do that.

Obviously Walton ties to the organization and giving him all this compliments about his character show that the two have met and spoken on several occasions. Do we think Walton has given this advice to Oden face to face?

Ovratd1up
02-02-2011, 02:49 PM
I don't have anything against pot users. I do it from time to time when a friend offers. I still don't think it's something ppl should be doing all the time. **** makes me lazy and hungry... and happy. I'm not allowed to be like that all the time. :)

Haha. Affects different people differently you know, and a lot has to do with attitude towards it. I know that it is unique in what it provides me with, and it'd be hard to find something that replaces it, so to speak.

I was just commenting, that it is kind of off the wall to say Oden should, specifically, go to Hawaii to find himself. And especially Walton... I mean it's well documented that Walton was on tour with the Grateful Dead or whatever, so he was probably frying balls out there under the stars at Dead shows; I mean, that doesn't mean he's a terrible person or something, you know, but to be honest he does sound like kind of a dumb**** sometimes. The word "dork" often comes to mind. I mean it's easy to make fun of people, and I guess I shouldn't go down this path.

But it's just kind of funny, because sports is usually regarded as such a wholesome activity, but Walton was apparently a big drug user.

I don't know... drugs are bad, mmmmmm'kay? Weed isn't as bad as things like prozac and ritalin, if you ask me, but if you start talking about the heavy stuff people take at Burnin Man or greatful dead shows or whatever... that's just fry-brain city.

Anyhow, anybody notice that Ricky Williams shaved off his dreads and apparently cleaned up his act and now he looks like Superman or something?

But yeah... go to Hawaii and find yourself... not such bad advice, but coming from Walton it does sound like "go smoke weed" or something.

The sad truth is that, unless you yourself have indulged in these experiences or at least done your research, most of your information towards the topic is highly unreliable. A big portion of these type of drugs' bad name comes solely from its illegality. It was precisely in the 60s and 70s, when many people across the nation began realizing the potential of these drugs to 'free' the minds of individuals and open them to to new ideas about wisdom and life, that the government prohibited them, almost certainly because of the anti-government outlook produced by them. It was at this time when Richard Nixon called Timothy Leary, a Harvard Psychologist (PhD) who saw intellectual promise in the states of mind created by the substances and promoted them, "The Most Dangerous Man in the World."

The media, often found to have motives similar to the government, has too propelled the negative views and illegitimate facts towards the drugs. The brain frying comment is proof of this, as the majority of psychedelics are harmless. Sources and institutions who stand to lose if these substances are used continue to spread misinformation on the subject. For example, the D.A.R.E program lies into the faces of little children to this day. And did you know that those "Above The Influence" commercials on TV are funded by Partnership for a Drug-Free America, which is funded by alcohol companies? Seems like they're concerned about a lot of other things before worrying about our country turning to drugs and dangerous substances. How weed was made illegal is another great ******** story. William Randolph Hurst was a giant in the newspaper business before a machine called a "decorticator" was invented. This machine would increase the efficiency of the hemp business to the point that the paper business didn't stand a chance. As Hurst stood to lose millions, he used his newspaper to publish stories about a plant called Marijuana (actually a type of mexican tobacco at the time) that blacks and mexican were smoking, and that they would rape white girls. Fabricated stories like these turned public opinion against 'Marijuana' and the US outlawed it, not even knowing they were outlawing hemp.

The third place where such attitudes are founded is from 'stories,' either by word of mouth, maybe the internet, or in movies or TV shows. It's worth noting that the fictitious stories, i.e. in movies and TV, are influenced by the same swaying forces that you are and that I explained previously. The actual ones, most likely kids who take drugs, are swayed by other, more powerful forces. If you hear things about people who take, say, LSD, you must ask yourself what conditions, both mental and physical, they were in if they took them. A majority were either partying or experimenting for fun, with little previous knowledge and insight into them, or people in bad circumstances that had to turn to these drugs in the first place. That's why the term 'potheads' refers more to a social context than the drug itself. Attitude is everything when taking these, so if you think you're taking it because it is really cool even if it's dangerous, then yes, you'll get inconsistent and many times awful results. But to the person who is prepared mentally, has knowledge about the substances and the consequences of taking them, and is open to the idea that you can take away much value from such experiences, it can be eye opening and life changing.

Anilyzer
02-02-2011, 11:14 PM
Haha. Affects different people differently you know, and a lot has to do with attitude towards it. I know that it is unique in what it provides me with, and it'd be hard to find something that replaces it, so to speak.

The sad truth is that, unless you yourself have indulged in these experiences or at least done your research, most of your information towards the topic is highly unreliable. A big portion of these type of drugs' bad name comes solely from its illegality. It was precisely in the 60s and 70s, when many people across the nation began realizing the potential of these drugs to 'free' the minds of individuals and open them to to new ideas about wisdom and life, that the government prohibited them, almost certainly because of the anti-government outlook produced by them. It was at this time when Richard Nixon called Timothy Leary, a Harvard Psychologist (PhD) who saw intellectual promise in the states of mind created by the substances and promoted them, "The Most Dangerous Man in the World."

The media, often found to have motives similar to the government, has too propelled the negative views and illegitimate facts towards the drugs. The brain frying comment is proof of this, as the majority of psychedelics are harmless. Sources and institutions who stand to lose if these substances are used continue to spread misinformation on the subject. For example, the D.A.R.E program lies into the faces of little children to this day. And did you know that those "Above The Influence" commercials on TV are funded by Partnership for a Drug-Free America, which is funded by alcohol companies? Seems like they're concerned about a lot of other things before worrying about our country turning to drugs and dangerous substances. How weed was made illegal is another great ******** story. William Randolph Hurst was a giant in the newspaper business before a machine called a "decorticator" was invented. This machine would increase the efficiency of the hemp business to the point that the paper business didn't stand a chance. As Hurst stood to lose millions, he used his newspaper to publish stories about a plant called Marijuana (actually a type of mexican tobacco at the time) that blacks and mexican were smoking, and that they would rape white girls. Fabricated stories like these turned public opinion against 'Marijuana' and the US outlawed it, not even knowing they were outlawing hemp.

The third place where such attitudes are founded is from 'stories,' either by word of mouth, maybe the internet, or in movies or TV shows. It's worth noting that the fictitious stories, i.e. in movies and TV, are influenced by the same swaying forces that you are and that I explained previously. The actual ones, most likely kids who take drugs, are swayed by other, more powerful forces. If you hear things about people who take, say, LSD, you must ask yourself what conditions, both mental and physical, they were in if they took them. A majority were either partying or experimenting for fun, with little previous knowledge and insight into them, or people in bad circumstances that had to turn to these drugs in the first place. That's why the term 'potheads' refers more to a social context than the drug itself. Attitude is everything when taking these, so if you think you're taking it because it is really cool even if it's dangerous, then yes, you'll get inconsistent and many times awful results. But to the person who is prepared mentally, has knowledge about the substances and the consequences of taking them, and is open to the idea that you can take away much value from such experiences, it can be eye opening and life changing.

Here. Hunter S. Thompson, the iconic 60's writer said it far better than I can, in the last lines of "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" :

"We are all wired into a survival trip now. No more of the speed that fueled the 60's. That was the fatal flaw in Tim Leary's trip. He crashed around America selling "consciousness expansion" without ever giving a thought to the grim meat-hook realities that were lying in wait for all the people who took him seriously... All those pathetically eager acid freaks who thought they could buy Peace and Understanding for three bucks a hit. But their loss and failure is ours too. What Leary took down with him was the central illusion of a whole life-style that he helped create... a generation of permanent cripples, failed seekers, who never understood the essential old-mystic fallacy of the Acid Culture: the desperate assumption that somebody... or at least some force - is tending the light at the end of the tunnel." --Hunter S. Thompson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU2dT43pLuQ

knicks4life33
02-02-2011, 11:23 PM
wut does walton know he was known as a weed smokin hippie back in the day

Ovratd1up
02-03-2011, 04:43 AM
Here. Hunter S. Thompson, the iconic 60's writer said it far better than I can, in the last lines of "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" :

"We are all wired into a survival trip now. No more of the speed that fueled the 60's. That was the fatal flaw in Tim Leary's trip. He crashed around America selling "consciousness expansion" without ever giving a thought to the grim meat-hook realities that were lying in wait for all the people who took him seriously... All those pathetically eager acid freaks who thought they could buy Peace and Understanding for three bucks a hit. But their loss and failure is ours too. What Leary took down with him was the central illusion of a whole life-style that he helped create... a generation of permanent cripples, failed seekers, who never understood the essential old-mystic fallacy of the Acid Culture: the desperate assumption that somebody... or at least some force - is tending the light at the end of the tunnel." --Hunter S. Thompson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU2dT43pLuQ

Thanks for the quote.

I guess all I can say is that this is not representative of my own life and experiences, or those of people I've known and loved.

kylem4711
02-03-2011, 03:27 PM
i hope blake griffin starys far away from oden

Anilyzer
02-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the quote.

I guess all I can say is that this is not representative of my own life and experiences, or those of people I've known and loved.

right on. I mean I guess all I'm trying to say is, that if you find some goodness or you find some higher consciousness... it's you that finds it, and you find it in yourself. It doesn't exist in a pill or a powder. And we've all seen people who've been royally wrecked by drugs.