PDA

View Full Version : Knicks to hire Warkentien as consultant

Crackadalic
01-30-2011, 11:17 PM
NEW YORK – In a move that undoubtedly has roots in the pursuit of Carmelo Anthony(notes), New York Knicks president Donnie Walsh has reached an agreement with former Denver Nuggets general manager Mark Warkentien to join the Knicks as a high-level consultant, league sources told Yahoo! Sports on Sunday.

The hiring of Warkentien is expected to be a prelude to a larger and more specific front-office role in the future, but that’s still an issue to be worked out. As the Knicks work to acquire Anthony through a trade this season or in free agency this summer, there’s no minimizing Warkentien’s institutional knowledge of the Nuggets organization and ownership, as well as a strong relationship with Anthony.

Warkentien, the NBA’s 2009 Executive of the Year, will also work close with Walsh on college and pro personnel evaluation.

Walsh had difficulty selling Garden ownership on hiring a full-fledged deputy in recent years – he’s considered candidates such as Warkentien and Chris Mullin – but finally cleared the way to get Warkentien hired in the consultant’s role.

A contract has been drawn, but is still awaiting signatures, sources said.

Walsh has an option on his contract that Knicks owner James Dolan needs to pick up by April 1. Glen Grunwald and Allan Houston(notes) are currently Walsh’s top two officials in the front office. Walsh has expressed a desire to finish the full reclamation project with New York, and most expect the option to be a formality considering the rejuvenation of the franchise after Walsh signed free agents Amar’e Stoudemire(notes) and Raymond Felton(notes).

Warkentien was part of a complicated structure with the Nuggets that included Rex Chapman and Brett Bearup. He made several key moves that pushed the Nuggets into the Western Conference finals in 2009, including the Chauncey Billups(notes) trade and several complementary signings and deals. Denver owner Stan Kroenke didn’t renew Warkentien’s contract in the spring of 2010, choosing to elevate his son, Josh, and hire Toronto Raptors assistant GM Masai Ujiri, to run the franchise.

League sources said that upon hearing of Warkentien’s impending hire in New York, Ujiri told members of his Denver front-office and scouting staffs – apparently in a half-joking manner – that they won’t be allowed to join Warkentien in New York.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-knickswarkentien013011

Yes the melo drama is getting dragged on for too long. Hopefully this move gets melo to the knicks now then later

xabial
01-30-2011, 11:20 PM
Forget Carmelo, this guy will be a wise Consultant. He was the 2009 Executive of the Year. I dont understand why denver ownership fired him over handing the carmelo situation, its not like the new GM in charge is handling the situation any better.

SteBO
01-30-2011, 11:23 PM
This is great for the Knicks. He was instrumental in bringing Iverson and Billups to Denver at different times. He isn't afraid to pull the trigger and he'd definitely help in bringing 'Melo in.

Crackadalic
01-30-2011, 11:26 PM
Forget Carmelo, this guy will be a wise Consultant. He was the 2009 Executive of the Year. I dont understand why denver ownership fired him over handing the carmelo situation, its not like the new GM in charge is handling the situation any better.

Even if its not melo he is still a very legit GM i would like the knicks have and we got it

metsfanssince05
good news. :)

Slimsim
I don't trust him

SteBO
I don't trust him
Why?

Mudvayne91
01-30-2011, 11:29 PM
Buyer beware

The Dream
01-30-2011, 11:34 PM
Buyer beware

are you calling him isiah thomas?

Slimsim
01-30-2011, 11:34 PM
Why?

IDK just a gut feeling

lvlheaded
01-30-2011, 11:37 PM
Even if it isnt about Melo, this guy was a good GM and I am happy to have him on the staff. Donnie has done a nice job surrounding himself with competent assistants.

JerseysFinest
01-30-2011, 11:44 PM
This guy was a proponent of the deal with NJ in September, but was fired for some reason. Good hire for the Knicks nonetheless

yfern328
01-30-2011, 11:45 PM
As long as Donnie Walsh is steering the ship, I'm confident in whoever he selects to be apart of his crew. Good move; Warkentien is a proven NBA executive. I don't think this implicitly hints at Carmelo going to the Knicks, but I can't see why it wouldn't help.

JerseysFinest
01-30-2011, 11:50 PM
yeah, it's a shrewd move regardless if it ends with Melo becoming a Knick. I just want some insight regarding why he was canned in Denver tho

lvlheaded
01-30-2011, 11:58 PM
yeah, it's a shrewd move regardless if it ends with Melo becoming a Knick. I just want some insight regarding why he was canned in Denver tho

I think him and the owners son, Josh Kroenke, who took over operations of the team, didnt see eye to eye on things, especially the Melo situation, so they decided to part ways. I think thats what it was any way

BklynKnicks3
01-30-2011, 11:58 PM

he was never canned they didnt renew his contract and the owner promoted his son

JerseysFinest
01-31-2011, 12:00 AM
oh my bad then

D1JM
01-31-2011, 12:16 AM
who cares

Mudvayne91
01-31-2011, 12:35 AM
are you calling him isiah thomas?

Nah, I probably should've explained more. I thought it was stupid when the let go of Chapman, not so much Warkenstein. Chapman was considered as one of the most respected guys in the league, Warkenstein not so much.

But the reason I say it is it just seems like your organization may be setting up like the Nugs. Bearup was involved too, I guess, but not in the sense of that the other two were. I realize Walsh is the guy now, but I just have a feeling it'll be similar to our old setup, which eventually blew up in our faces. That's pretty much what I was trying to say.

AlvaROD
01-31-2011, 03:02 AM
only Knicks fans care about this...............and I cared enough to let everyone know...peace

jetsfan28
01-31-2011, 03:07 AM
This isn't just a Melo move, he'll be the GM of the Knicks two years from now. Allan Houston wasn't ready to be, this is a fantastic move.