PDA

View Full Version : If you were the Warriors Mgmt, would you keep Steph Curry or Monta Ellis?

LTBaByyy
01-30-2011, 07:45 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=18620

They are looking forward and basically having a problem seeing the 2 playing side by side being so undersized

And said no one on the roster is untouchable so it made me think?

You would yall keep?

bahama0811
01-30-2011, 07:46 PM
I would keep Steph Curry.

DerekRE_3
01-30-2011, 07:48 PM
Steph

iFYouSeekAmy
01-30-2011, 07:49 PM
Monta.

chicago lulz
01-30-2011, 07:52 PM
I feel like Steph may be easier to build around and he's younger (probably not by much). You can't ignore Monta's offensive ability though. Tough call.

Lloyd Christmas
01-30-2011, 07:54 PM
Curry

poleandreel
01-30-2011, 07:56 PM
steph curry is already a better shooter, passer, facilitator, free throw shooter and team player than monta. Monta is good but curry can be great. He averages 19 ppg and barely gets 15 shots a game

also shoots close to 45% from 3

The_Mac22
01-30-2011, 08:04 PM
Warriors fan here, I'd keep Curry.

djeller1139
01-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Stephen Curry. The only reason why anybody would say keep Monta is because of his stats this year, but it is much, much easier to find a high-volume scoring SG than a PG like Curry.

Also, I feel like Curry's play is inhibited by Monta dominating the ball and taking the majority of the shots. If Curry got to run the offense and have full control, I think his numbers would look a bit better too.

Gators123
01-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Curry

Gram
01-30-2011, 08:10 PM
Curry.

Geargo Wallace
01-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Curry GOAT!

gbrl
01-30-2011, 08:17 PM
curry

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-30-2011, 08:18 PM
Easily Curry

goose15
01-30-2011, 08:18 PM
Steph

clydebino
01-30-2011, 08:23 PM
Why not keep both and just redo their frontcourt cuz that is the reason why they suck. Monta and Steph play very well together.

Swashcuff
01-30-2011, 08:23 PM
Stephen Curry. I would love to see someone's explanation as to the reason why they'd take Ellis over him.

D-Will4Prez
01-30-2011, 08:25 PM
Stephen Curry. The only reason why anybody would say keep Monta is because of his stats this year, but it is much, much easier to find a high-volume scoring SG than a PG like Curry.

Also, I feel like Curry's play is inhibited by Monta dominating the ball and taking the majority of the shots. If Curry got to run the offense and have full control, I think his numbers would look a bit better too.

Umm his per game stats this year are almost identical to last year...

If it was a choice between one or the other just based on skill/potential I'd keep Curry but it may be quite difficult for GS to move Ellis' contract.

I would like to see Ellis in a Jazz uniform, Al Jefferson for Ellis and Amundson is a possibility. Or AK + Cash +2nd rounder for Ellis and Radman if they're trying to cut cash.

Swashcuff
01-30-2011, 08:30 PM
Umm his per game stats this year are almost identical to last year...

If it was a choice between one or the other just based on skill/potential I'd keep Curry but it may be quite difficult for GS to move Ellis' contract.

I would like to see Ellis in a Jazz uniform, Al Jefferson for Ellis and Amundson is a possibility. Or AK + Cash +2nd rounder for Ellis and Radman if they're trying to cut cash.

Statistacally speaking this may very well be the best year of his career. He is far more efficient than he has been at any point in the past 3 seasons. His stats certainly are much better than what he has shown in the past.

clydebino
01-30-2011, 08:37 PM
Stephen Curry. I would love to see someone's explanation as to the reason why they'd take Ellis over him.

Ellis can carry a team on his back with ease.

sargon21
01-30-2011, 08:38 PM

This is exactly how I felt about DRose and Gordon, and it turned out I was right.

Swashcuff
01-30-2011, 08:41 PM
Ellis can carry a team on his back with ease.

to what a 20 win season?

There is one of the most baseless comments I have ever read.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-30-2011, 08:48 PM
to what a 20 win season?

There is one of the most baseless comments i have ever read.

+1

clydebino
01-30-2011, 08:48 PM
to what a 20 win season?

There is one of the most baseless comments I have ever read.

Give him a legit big man and I promise you he will the league up.

unwantedplayer
01-30-2011, 08:52 PM
Steph, easily imo.

Swashcuff
01-30-2011, 08:56 PM
Give him a legit big man and I promise you he will the league up.

What evidence do you have to show for that or are you just looking into your crystal ball on that. By the comment you made earlier he doesn't need a legit big he can do it with a bunch of role players like LeBron, A.I., Hakeem etc right?

Lake_Show2416
01-30-2011, 09:04 PM
I've been to to a few Warriors games this year n threw out the years

I really like how Monta has developed n his ability to get to the rim is amazing

I'd keep Monta.. I like him better n you can get more for Curry most likely than you could for Monta

clydebino
01-30-2011, 09:05 PM
What evidence do you have to show for that or are you just looking into your crystal ball on that. By the comment you made earlier he doesn't need a legit big he can do it with a bunch of role players like LeBron, A.I., Hakeem etc right?

Every legit guard has had a legit big man : Kobe/ Shaq Wade /Shaq Rondo/KG Jordan had Rodman and Pippen. It would only make sense that if you give Ellis a legit Big he will do damage.

Swashcuff
01-30-2011, 09:11 PM
Every legit guard has had a legit big man : Kobe/ Shaq Wade /Shaq Rondo/KG Jordan had Rodman and Pippen. It would only make sense that if you give Ellis a legit Big he will do damage.

I haven't done this in quite some time but :facepalm:

You make no sense what soever, comparing Monta to any of the other guards you've mentioned here is utterly ridiculous.

Oh who was the legit big Isiah Thomas had as a Piston.

By your logic once you give Tracy McGrady a player such as Yao Ming he would win a ship right?

Dude give up you have no case whatsoever, you don't want me to really start killing you in this debate.

xxcubs22xx
01-30-2011, 09:22 PM
Yeah easily Steph Curry.

Chacarron
01-30-2011, 09:30 PM
No doubt Curry.

hugepatsfan
01-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Curry - easy choice.

ShockerArt
01-30-2011, 09:36 PM
Curry easily

cargobox
Curry!

Burkey3472
Curry.

topdog
01-30-2011, 09:46 PM
Monta is undersized for his position and has been on the block just about every year since he got that contract. People love Curry's shooting and actual PG skills. The only reason to keep Monta over Curry is the anticipated return/movability.

fadedmario
01-30-2011, 09:49 PM
Curry

BRICKCITYPIMP12
01-30-2011, 10:03 PM
dam..thats a hard one...but..i went wit curry.

Jewelz0376
01-30-2011, 10:06 PM
Ellis is a better player now, but Curry has way more potential...Curry can be a 20 & 9/10 type player...

Hawkeye15
01-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Curry, and its not even close

Ray_R
01-30-2011, 10:20 PM
Curry to piss of aSandhu butI think Curry has lots of potential. Monta is great but he has only gotten you so far. Maybe try your luck with curry.

netsgiantsyanks
01-30-2011, 10:26 PM
i would keep stephen curry. he has way more potential. i say trade monta for another shooting guard or a small forward.

SugeKnight
01-30-2011, 10:38 PM
Curry, but i rather keep both.

blastmasta26
01-30-2011, 11:55 PM
Monta is undersized for his position and has been on the block just about every year since he got that contract. People love Curry's shooting and actual PG skills. The only reason to keep Monta over Curry is the anticipated return/movability.
:nod:

believeinNYK
01-31-2011, 01:53 AM
Curry, better pg and has alot of room to grow if he's given full control

NothingbutWill
01-31-2011, 02:01 AM
Curry.

Younger
Potential to grow
Excellent basketball IQ
Can play PG/SG

yojoe792
01-31-2011, 02:18 AM
Kid Curry
(AKA DubSteph)

beasted86
01-31-2011, 02:28 AM
Keep Monta, trade Curry.

People overvalue Curry so I could see the Warriors raping another team in a trade.

Antipod
01-31-2011, 02:35 AM
Curry.
/thread

3RDASYSTEM
01-31-2011, 02:41 AM
One reason i cant stand weak org.

They had a chance to team up Monta with Amare and got cold feet over Curry at last minute now he's on trade block a yr later...pure weak move, i would have pulled trigger on that trade in an instant,if ya got 2 dominant scorers in todays game,ya already 5 steps ahead of the game

NothingbutWill
01-31-2011, 02:45 AM

They had a chance to team up Monta with Amare and got cold feet over Curry at last minute now he's on trade block a yr later...pure weak move, i would have pulled trigger on that trade in an instant,if ya got 2 dominant scorers in todays game,ya already 5 steps ahead of the game

Curry isn't on the trade block.

AlvaROD
01-31-2011, 03:00 AM
Curry

GoatMilk
01-31-2011, 03:16 AM
easily Curry

AIRMAR72
01-31-2011, 03:23 AM
monta ellis is way better and tougher player than curry

Raph12
01-31-2011, 03:39 AM
Curry... Definitely Curry.

dwadefan03
01-31-2011, 03:39 AM
stephen curry because he is the best thing to happen to the nba since dwade

dwadefan03
01-31-2011, 03:40 AM

melo and AI were on the same team, they didnt in anythig

LTBaByyy
01-31-2011, 03:48 AM
Monta

Allstar21
01-31-2011, 04:22 AM
monta....curry will never be a #1 on a winning team ever

Mr.ATLHawks
01-31-2011, 05:11 AM
melo and AI were on the same team, they didnt in anythig

Umm they had a pretty good record....They didnt win it all but they werent a 10 seed or anything... I dont know who called Steph Curry a dominant scorer though..Monta can score when his jumper is off I dont know if you can say the same for Curry. I still would keep Curry especially in there run n gun style you need shooters and although Ellis is great mid range Curry > Ellis and a better PG.

Mr.ATLHawks
01-31-2011, 05:13 AM
monta....curry will never be a #1 on a winning team ever

Thats kind of harsh man. If your goiing to say that about Curry you can say the same for Ellis. He is nothing but a younger Jamal Crawford..He will be a sixth man in 5 years

PraiseJesus
01-31-2011, 05:13 AM
lol this question is a joke.

Curry is better at every aspect of the game and is a real leader not a ball hog

killaT
01-31-2011, 06:03 AM
Monta is the next Iverson.

Iverson has been to the playoffs and even appeared in the NBA Finals before. You can still win with an undersized shooting guard, Iverson did it in his days with Philly because he has pure offensive skill, mid range, steal, and can shoot the dam ball and score. They both know how to get to the rim.

Keep Monta Ellis. you can get a whole lot more value for trading Curry. Monta is a future all-star in Golden State, not sure if Curry will be anytime soon.

KingPosey
01-31-2011, 06:37 AM
its a weird situationin my opinion. Monta is a greater talent physically, and has a greater ability to dominate. But with his game, i dont think u can win with him. With Steph, i think u can win with him, but u cant build around him. U find someone to put him around.

PraiseJesus
01-31-2011, 06:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGNnHDksvJ8

"Curry is the 6th rookie in NBA history to record a 35 point, 10 reb, 10 ast game joining Elgin Baylor, Michael Jordan, Jerry West, Oscar Robertson, and Jason Kidd."

That is one of those lists that only has hall of famers on it.

When Curry is running the show he is unstoppable ..... as a ROOKIE

rapjuicer06
01-31-2011, 09:37 AM
i said ellis because you can trade curry away and get a lot better. you could get a big in return and a pass first PG. Curry has a **** ton of potential though. i guess it depends on what they want. do they want to compete now, or wait a few years. if they want to compete now then curry leaves, if later then ellis now. the big difference here is i don't think ellis will get them all that much in return

Swashcuff
01-31-2011, 09:47 AM
Monta is the next Iverson.

Iverson has been to the playoffs and even appeared in the NBA Finals before. You can still win with an undersized shooting guard, Iverson did it in his days with Philly because he has pure offensive skill, mid range, steal, and can shoot the dam ball and score. They both know how to get to the rim.

Keep Monta Ellis. you can get a whole lot more value for trading Curry. Monta is a future all-star in Golden State, not sure if Curry will be anytime soon.

There will never be another Allen Iverson. Monta is NOT the next Allen Iverson, they are very similar and there is stuff that Monta does do better than A.I. but A.I. is on a totally different tier than Monta.

magichatnumber9
01-31-2011, 09:52 AM
who do you think:cool:

caseyv415
01-31-2011, 09:52 AM
Both! They are statistically the best backcourt in the game.. F that undersized argument.

ragee
01-31-2011, 10:10 AM
Curry because he is younger and he is easier to build around... Monta is having one hell of a season so his trade stock should really be high right now... If they are going to trade him, I think now is the right time...

xxplayerxx23
01-31-2011, 10:26 AM
I would take ellis. I think ellis is an iverson type not Iverson. He can score and has done soild with assists. He steals the basketball ,He can score at will. He is only 3 years older then curry. He is around the prime off his career. It will be close but ill take ellis over Curry. Why cant they keep both? Lee is starting to play better and they are starting to win some games. There not to far out of that 8 seed. They need a soild center And i think they can make it to the playoffs.

MinVikesFan
01-31-2011, 10:29 AM
Monta: Top 5 scorer in the NBA.

AddiX
01-31-2011, 10:53 AM
Both! They are statistically the best backcourt in the game.. F that undersized argument.

What statistic?

They might be the worse defensive back court in the NBA. With David Lee in the front court your looking at one terrible defensive team.

Either Curry or Ellis has to go. I'm surprised so many people are picking Curry.

Hawkeye15
01-31-2011, 11:00 AM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=ellismo01&y1=2011&p2=curryst01&y2=2011

Maroboy925
01-31-2011, 11:40 AM
Warriors fan here and I say keep both....our problem isnt either of them, our problem is at the center position and overall depth. I say keep the core together and add some pieces to it...like a gerald wallace via trade which would make dorell a bench player and go after a marc gasol/perkins type free agent in the off season. We have a nice core , just need a few players!

NBA-GMaster
01-31-2011, 11:52 AM
Keep Curry..

Hawkeye15
01-31-2011, 11:53 AM
Warriors fan here and I say keep both....our problem isnt either of them, our problem is at the center position and overall depth. I say keep the core together and add some pieces to it...like a gerald wallace via trade which would make dorell a bench player and go after a marc gasol/perkins type free agent in the off season. We have a nice core , just need a few players!

it has been shown Monta needs to play next to a large guard who can defend, to not be such a liability on the defensive end. The Warriors will have to make a decision on these two eventually. Their backcourt is way to small and powerless on defense to co-exist if they get to winning more games.

Curry is a much more efficient offensive player already, and projects to be a much better play than Ellis is, if he hasn't passed him already. Ellis will need to go at some point imo.

thedfactor
01-31-2011, 12:26 PM
Love Ellis' scoring and ability, but got to stick with the younger, natural point guard who shoots lights out.

Mile High Champ
01-31-2011, 12:46 PM
Keep both, why do you have to trade one? I really like them together in the back court and you can never have enough elite scoring guards. Ellis has really improved a lot this season and is no longer quite the chucker he used to be. I really like the future of G-State if they can find a true powerful PF or C to add to the mix.

Hawkeye15
01-31-2011, 12:51 PM
Keep both, why do you have to trade one? I really like them together in the back court and you can never have enough elite scoring guards. Ellis has really improved a lot this season and is no longer quite the chucker he used to be. I really like the future of G-State if they can find a true powerful PF or C to add to the mix.

they don't work defensively. Imagine them in a scenario where they are in the playoffs. That backcourt will get crushed on that end. They are simply too small.

Mile High Champ
01-31-2011, 12:55 PM
they don't work defensively. Imagine them in a scenario where they are in the playoffs. That backcourt will get crushed on that end. They are simply too small.

But what is honestly the better alternative right now? Trading them in a deal in which you will most likely not get full value? I agree they are not a great defensive tandem in the back court but are the Warriors even close to contending for a playoff spot anytime soon? I think you hold onto both until the right deal presents itself.

Hawkeye15
01-31-2011, 12:57 PM
But what is honestly the better alternative right now? Trading them in a deal in which you will most likely not get full value? I agree they are not a great defensive tandem in the back court but are the Warriors even close to contending for a playoff spot anytime soon? I think you hold onto both until the right deal presents itself.

I never said you trade one just to make a trade. I still think Ellis holds more trade value than actual value, so you could probably get more for him in regards to what he gives production wise. Or you could attempt to convince him to be the dynamic 6th man and bring in a bigger, more defensive SG.

Mile High Champ
01-31-2011, 01:02 PM
I never said you trade one just to make a trade. I still think Ellis holds more trade value than actual value, so you could probably get more for him in regards to what he gives production wise. Or you could attempt to convince him to be the dynamic 6th man and bring in a bigger, more defensive SG.

My apologies for coming across that way but I get the impression from some people they should simply move him and move on. Your right though, Ellis right now has a lot of value at the moment and some team maybe willing to overpay to get him. I don't see him getting much better so now could be a better time than ever to get a deal done.

I also don't see him becoming a dynamic 6th man however as I think his own ego would get in the way of that. He is one of those guys that cares more about starting the game rather than who finishes it. I think it is a great thing if he could take on that roll but he will most likely fight that.

Hawkeye15
01-31-2011, 01:04 PM
My apologies for coming across that way but I get the impression from some people they should simply move him and move on. Your right though, Ellis right now has a lot of value at the moment and some team maybe willing to overpay to get him. I don't see him getting much better so now could be a better time than ever to get a deal done.

I also don't see him becoming a dynamic 6th man however as I think his own ego would get in the way of that. He is one of those guys that cares more about starting the game rather than who finishes it. I think it is a great thing if he could take on that roll but he will most likely fight that.

which is sad, because he is perfect 6th man of the year material. Look at Crawford last season or Jason Terry others. Perfect examples of a score first mentality that works in certain roles.

And nah, I didn't take offense in the slightest dude, I know you were just answering me back and taking the context of the thread into account.

Mile High Champ
01-31-2011, 01:09 PM
which is sad, because he is perfect 6th man of the year material. Look at Crawford last season or Jason Terry others. Perfect examples of a score first mentality that works in certain roles.

And nah, I didn't take offense in the slightest dude, I know you were just answering me back and taking the context of the thread into account.

Yup, Leandro Barbosa also comes to mind in terms of having that similar game to Ellis. I think Ellis could be a sixth man of the year winner ever season going forward if he ever accepted that roll. He is very skilled with the ball in his hands and his defensive short comings would be protected playing on an elite team in the league coming off the bench. He would look good coming off the bench in somewhere like Chicago for example.

DwayneMVPwade
01-31-2011, 01:13 PM
Curry

smith&wesson
01-31-2011, 01:35 PM
curry is more efficient.

PraiseJesus
01-31-2011, 07:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGNnHDksvJ8

"Curry is the 6th rookie in NBA history to record a 35 point, 10 reb, 10 ast game joining Elgin Baylor, Michael Jordan, Jerry West, Oscar Robertson, and Jason Kidd."

That is one of those lists that only has hall of famers on it.

When Curry is running the show he is unstoppable ..... as a ROOKIE

I dont see Monta doing ANYTHING like this ever

SugeKnight
01-31-2011, 08:09 PM
Yup, Leandro Barbosa also comes to mind in terms of having that similar game to Ellis. I think Ellis could be a sixth man of the year winner ever season going forward if he ever accepted that roll. He is very skilled with the ball in his hands and his defensive short comings would be protected playing on an elite team in the league coming off the bench. He would look good coming off the bench in somewhere like Chicago for example.

If monta was on the bulls, you think he would come off the bench?

Kakaroach
01-31-2011, 08:15 PM
Stephen Curry for sure. Monta is explosive, but I'd rather have a guy who can stroke it, pass it, and be a good face for the franchise.

Hawkeye15
01-31-2011, 09:16 PM
If monta was on the bulls, you think he would come off the bench?

I would use him off the bench for the Bulls, yes. He would create too small of a backcourt.