PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best bench in the NBA

PhillyFaninLA
01-28-2011, 12:31 PM
I was in the Sixers forum and one of the people said make this topic in the NBA forum so here it is. Lets have a nice debate about this.

What team has the best bench in the NBA?
What criteria do you use to determine that?
How does a bench player getting more minute than a starter on a regular basis play into the equation in your opinion?

(edit: not putting in poll because I find on topics like this teams are usually left off that deserve to be on it)

dwadefan03
01-28-2011, 12:56 PM
boston hands down n its not even a debate, theyre 3 deep at every position

just look at who they have behind the starters

robinson/bradley
west/wafer
daniels
big baby/erdin
JO/Shaq

all of those guys are quality players and some of their third stringers could be starters on some teams

FadeAwayLikeMJ
01-28-2011, 12:58 PM

with the Lakers at 2nd IMO

210Don
01-28-2011, 12:59 PM
1.Celtics
2. Spurs

SteBO
01-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Boston no doubt, and Delonte West isn't even back. :speechless:

dwadefan03
i think the magic are second, if they could get another bigman

DoMeFavors
Lakers Hands Down

Blake
Brown
Barnes
Odom
Ratliff

Corey
01-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Lakers Hands Down

Blake
Brown
Barnes
Odom
Ratliff

How is that 'hands down' the best?

The Celtics have Nate Robinson, Shaq, Delonte West, Glen Davis, Marquis Daniels, Von Wafer, Jermaine O'Neal

basketballer122
01-28-2011, 01:15 PM
1. boston but they lack three point shooting of the bench.even though nate and west can hit open three.they would benefit from sf that can defend and shoot threes
2. lakers-but they lack overall size because they have just ratliff at center and if gasol or bynum get hurt they will suck ~~~~ to celtics

DoMeFavors
01-28-2011, 01:16 PM
How is that 'hands down' the best?

The Celtics have Nate Robinson, Shaq, Delonte West, Glen Davis, Marquis Daniels, Von Wafer, Jermaine O'Neal

Because like I said its hands down the best.
Nate is the only person better on the bench than a laker player.
Nate > Blake
West < Brown
Daniels < Barnes
Glen Davis & Jermain < Lamar Odom
I dont know who is starting center but Ratliff is better than Shaq.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-28-2011, 01:19 PM
Nate > Blake
West < Brown
Daniels < Barnes

:facepalm: No he isn't

JerseysFinest
01-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Nate > Blake
West < Brown
Daniels < Barnes

lulz u a funny guy

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-28-2011, 01:22 PM
Celtics
Spurs
Lakers

J-Relo
01-28-2011, 01:22 PM
Nate > Blake
West < Brown
Daniels < Barnes

A) it's you opinion
B) bench is bench, they don't play big minutes so comparing players to each other is irrelevant, it's how they co-exist, how they come in.

DoMeFavors
01-28-2011, 01:23 PM
:facepalm: No he isn't

Your overating Shaq for wha he used to be, pretend he never had that great career. Now he isnt that great, he misses layups 5 ft from the rim, doesnt hit free throws.

arosen36
01-28-2011, 01:23 PM
sixers have a very good bench, lou williams, marreese speights, evan turner, jodie meeks, thad young all have as much importance to the team as the starters

StriveGreatness
01-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Depends. Are we going off the bench that scores the most PPG or the most talent. Pistons have the best bench when it comes to PPG but Boston probably has the most talent.

DoMeFavors
01-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Depends. Are we going off the bench that scores the most PPG or the most talent. Pistons have the best bench when it comes to PPG but Boston probably has the most talent.

Bynum
Rip *when he plays*
Gordon
Charlie V
Monroe

is a good bench

magichatnumber9
01-28-2011, 01:30 PM
Nate > Blake
West < Brown
Daniels < Barnes

O.k I respect your opinion but let me make some adjustments.
Blake>Nate: I think Blake runs a team a lot better then Nate.
West>Brown Maybe even =. These two of set each other. I will say this. Shannon Brown has proven that the D-league has value.
Daniels < Barnes.. Ok I kind of agree but I think Daniels has more value and versatility. Maybe Daniels is a better pick now because his defense has improved dramaticly.
Glen Davis & Jermaine < Lamar Odom. Agree.
Ratliff is not better then Shaq and I don't think that's debatable.

D-Block21-Chito
01-28-2011, 01:30 PM
If there was one Bench I could have over my own team it would be celtics. "Bench" players. IMO I believe they have the best.

SchyGuy11
01-28-2011, 01:31 PM

robinson/bradley
west/wafer
daniels
big baby/erdin
JO/Shaq

all of those guys are quality players and some of their third stringers could be starters on some teams

i don't know about that

KingPosey
01-28-2011, 01:33 PM
I have to agree its Boston. And lol at the guy saying Ratliff is better than Shaq. And for me its not about taking 5 guys from Boston and 5 guys from LA and going > or <. Boston has a ton of depth.

pebloemer
01-28-2011, 01:41 PM
Raptors.

Last week against Memphis we trotted out Weems (first game back from injury), Davis (rookie that missed first month of season), Alabi (didn't play because he is too raw) and Gaines (no longer with the team).

;)

Sure the Celtics, Lakers and Spurs have nice benches, but I don't know how they can compete with that.

jim51990
01-28-2011, 01:41 PM
:confused:
ratliff is " tur ribul " - barkley voice

GeekInThePink
01-28-2011, 01:42 PM
I know I'm being a giant homer, but when healthy the Raptors bench has to be up there,

PG - Jerryd Bayless
SG - Leandro Barbosa, Sonny Weems, Trey Johnson
SF - Julian Wright
PF - Ed Davis, Joey Dorsey
C - Alexis Ajinca, Soloman Alabi

Not to mention Amir Johnson would be pushed to the bench if Reggie Evans was healthy.

I think thats maybe a top 10 bench

DoMeFavors
01-28-2011, 01:48 PM
I know I'm being a giant homer, but when healthy the Raptors bench has to be up there,

PG - Jerryd Bayless
SG - Leandro Barbosa, Sonny Weems, Trey Johnson
SF - Julian Wright
PF - Ed Davis, Joey Dorsey
C - Alexis Ajinca, Soloman Alabi

Not to mention Amir Johnson would be pushed to the bench if Reggie Evans was healthy.

I think thats maybe a top 10 bench

No doubt you are letting your love for the raptors get to you.

GSW Hoops
01-28-2011, 01:54 PM
The Kings' starting five would be the best bench in the NBA

goblazers7
01-28-2011, 02:20 PM

robinson/bradley
west/wafer
daniels
big baby/erdin
JO/Shaq

You bench is too I injured to be considered better than the lakers. The only two players on the list that get some time is Nate and Big Baby. Others are in and out of the rotation or hurt. Lakers or spurs have the best benches right now.

Run&Gun
01-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Best bench has to go to Celtics, basically because they've been able to keep winning despite injuries to their main players.
Spurs have a bad bench on paper but they always seem to have great chemistry.
Lakers have a good bench but no front court depth after Odom which hurts since Bynum is made of glass.

I actually like how the rockets bench looks on paper:
Kyle Lowry, Courtney Lee, Chase Budinger, Terrence Williams, Chuck Hayes, Brad Miller and Jordan Hill.
Team hasn't found a rotation that works yet though and teams like Houston, Pistons and Sixers all have teams were they have a solid bench but it has no chemistry or consistency also their starting five lacks a star.

goblazers7
01-28-2011, 02:24 PM
O.k I respect your opinion but let me make some adjustments.
Blake>Nate: I think Blake runs a team a lot better then Nate.
West>Brown Maybe even =. These two of set each other. I will say this. Shannon Brown has proven that the D-league has value.
Daniels < Barnes.. Ok I kind of agree but I think Daniels has more value and versatility. Maybe Daniels is a better pick now because his defense has improved dramaticly.
Glen Davis & Jermaine < Lamar Odom. Agree.
Ratliff is not better then Shaq and I don't think that's debatable.

Shannon Brown is a quality player in the NBA. He could start for multiple teams. It's almost sad how you think that delonte west is better than him. Shame on you.

pacofunk64
01-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Celtics
Spurs
Lakers
Bulls

Thegame187
01-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Your overating Shaq for wha he used to be, pretend he never had that great career. Now he isnt that great, he misses layups 5 ft from the rim, doesnt hit free throws.

Your over rating Ratiff for something he never was

KingPosey
01-28-2011, 03:42 PM

lol ouch, that stung a little.

THE GIPPER
01-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Celtics
Spurs
Nuggets
Lakers

Mary*420*Jane
01-28-2011, 04:05 PM
1.Boston
2.Lakers
3.Spurs

Super.
01-28-2011, 04:25 PM
Boston Celtics

dwadefan03
01-28-2011, 04:27 PM
i don't know about that

shaq/ JO (idk which one is thrid string) could start on alot of teams
Von Wafer is pretty decent and im not sure but i think he started for the rockets awhile back
Avery Bradley could be getting starter minutes on a team desperate for a point guard (we could def use him in miami)

Gram
01-28-2011, 04:32 PM
I gotta say Philly. Backcourt rotation of

Holliday/Williams
Turner/Meeks

Is actually sick. Plus Young and Speights are sick too.

fadedmario
01-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Detroit Pistons have a top 5 bench. I don't care what any of you think. Imagine if the Pistons bench backed up an elite team. We don't have the best starting 5, but our bench is solid.

Gootie42
01-28-2011, 04:34 PM
celtics
spurs
lakers
bulls

+1

beasted86
01-28-2011, 04:35 PM
Nuggets

PG: Lawson
SG: Smith
SF/PF: Harrington
PF/C: Andersen

fadedmario
01-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Pistons

Ben Gordon
Charlie Villanueva
Ben Wallace
Austin Daye
Will Bynum
Jason Maxiell
Dajuan Summers

Injured or benched

Jonas Jerebko
Terrico White
Rip Hamilton

Redbull
01-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Lakers, Bulls, Nuggets, Celtics and Pistons in order.

Kleonidas
01-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Not saying its the best but the Magic have a solid bench...

Anderson
Arenas
Clark
Redick
Q.Richardson

magichatnumber9
01-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Are we talking about contenders?. Because if were talking about league wide its sort of pointless

ManRam
01-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Boston has the deepest bench, but in the playoffs, have 7 guys coming off the bench won't matter at all. Every team, (besides PHX last year) pretty much condenses their bench to 3-4 players. I'd rather have

Blake, Brown, Barnes, Odom

than

robinson/bradley
west/wafer
daniels
big baby/erdin
JO/Shaq

As someone earlier posted. Really, half those guys won't have an impact, and pound-for-pound, LA's will outproduce Boston's.

As a Magic fan, I LOVE our three man bench. Sure, it's just three deep (although Q, Duhon and Clark aren't scrubs at all), but that's all we need, and will need. A center would be nice, but our inability to guard Shaq, Perk, JO etc. at center isn't going to be as big of a problem as their ability to guard Ryan Anderson when he's in at center. The mismatch goes both ways...and Anderson is a far better offensive player than any of those guys.

nwilder
01-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Nate > Blake
West < Brown
Daniels < Barnes

:facepalm::facepalm:

Are you serious? You couldn't more wrong!

Kobes a Killer
01-28-2011, 05:06 PM
:facepalm::facepalm:

Are you serious? You couldn't more wrong!

How is he wrong?!?!

Nate>Blake (obviously)
but Brown Barnes and Odom are clearly on a different level then Marquis West and an old JO and BIG BABY (although he is very good and improving at an alarming rate, but he will never be able to touch Odoms game)

Kobes a Killer
01-28-2011, 05:09 PM
But to answer the thread, I believe Boston has the scariest bench in some ways (their 2nd unit is almost a starting line up...better than cleveland no doubt and could beat several other teams starting line ups) but on the other hand come playoff time you only want 3-4 players coming off the bench not 5-6

heyman321
01-28-2011, 05:13 PM
How is he wrong?!?!

Nate>Blake (obviously)
but Brown Barnes and Odom are clearly on a different level then Marquis West and an old JO and BIG BABY (although he is very good and improving at an alarming rate, but he will never be able to touch Odoms game)

He's wrong becuase Boston has better bench players in total. I would definitely take Odom over all the bench players on the Lakers and Celts, but Big Baby + Shaq + Robinson + Daniels is better than Odom + Blake + Barnes+ Brown. Odom and Barnes are awesome off the bench, but Blake has been a real dissapointment and Shannon Brown sucks. A lot of you are under rating Big Baby's value off the bench.

Kobes a Killer
01-28-2011, 05:21 PM
He's wrong becuase Boston has better bench players in total. I would definitely take Odom over all the bench players on the Lakers and Celts, but Big Baby + Shaq + Robinson + Daniels is better than Odom + Blake + Barnes+ Brown. Odom and Barnes are awesome off the bench, but Blake has been a real dissapointment and Shannon Brown sucks. A lot of you are under rating Big Baby's value off the bench.

I'm not underating Big Babys value, he's a great bench player, and their PF of the future, and tell me Shannon Brown sucks when he's lighting up the 3s on Boston in this years finals, or when he's slamming down show time dunks making the entire Staples Centre stand on their feet and the entire Garden cry and wish you had never made the comment about how Shannon "sucks"

tdunk21
01-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Nate > Blake
West < Brown
Daniels < Barnes

r u out of ur freakin mind? atleast makes some sense when u post something...

tdunk21
01-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Celtics
Spurs
Lakers
Nuggets
Bulls

kjoke
01-28-2011, 05:39 PM
deep benches dont really matter when it comes to playoff time, its all about the 8 man rotation not 16 deep

Hunter48MVP
01-28-2011, 05:43 PM
Lakers
Celtics
Orlando

Swashcuff
01-28-2011, 05:53 PM

This is sooooo wrong on every single level. Ratliff is no where near Shaq at this point in their respective careers, given adequate minutes Shaq still gets the job done.

Swashcuff
01-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Detroit Pistons have a top 5 bench. I don't care what any of you think. Imagine if the Pistons bench backed up an elite team. We don't have the best starting 5, but our bench is solid.

Dude that makes NO sense. All their quality bench players are wing players. If they were reserves to an Elite team they half of them wouldn't even get a shot on the floor. They don't even have a legit big coming off the bench anymore. Try again. Top 5 maybe on some lists, but it terms of cohesion and chemistry they are one of the worst.

-Big-Baby-
01-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Nate > Blake
West < Brown
Daniels < Barnes

Lulz. :facepalm:

Sactown
01-28-2011, 06:01 PM

**** you.. Not Like Golden State is much better

macc
01-28-2011, 06:01 PM
I'll take our top 3 bench players over most anyone elses bench with

That will actually play come playoff time

Gilbert Arenas
JJ Reddick
Ryan Anderson

(All 3 capable of scoring 20+ points any given night and alot of nights will out perform our starters)

outside of them we have

Quinton Richardson
Chris Duhon
Earl Clark

Swashcuff
01-28-2011, 06:02 PM
My Sixers certainly deserve a mention, not as the best but fringe top 5. Marresse Speights, Lou Williams, Andres Nocioni (when healthy again), Thaddeus Young (his name may get thrown around for SMOY votes) Evan Turner have really been a bother to a lot of teams this season. Problem is they don't have any real depth at C with Battie and Marresse Speights who really isn't much of a C as he is a PF.

kgjfan243
01-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Probably Lakers. Odom would start on a bunch of teams. Shannon Browns lightning in a bottle coming off the bench. Then they got the shutdown defender Barnes, who has actually been a bit of a letdown this year for that team.

goose15
01-28-2011, 06:13 PM
Celtics
Lakers
Mavs
Spurs

JayTee1981
01-28-2011, 06:20 PM
Celtics
Lakers
Mavs
Spurs

How can you put the Lakers and Mavs over the spurs, granted the lakers on some points but the mavs ......no way

JayTee1981
01-28-2011, 06:21 PM
Probably Lakers. Odom would start on a bunch of teams. Shannon Browns lightning in a bottle coming off the bench. Then they got the shutdown defender Barnes, who has actually been a bit of a letdown this year for that team.

hence one of the main reasons why the spurs and celtics are better

heyman321
01-28-2011, 06:25 PM
I'm not underating Big Babys value, he's a great bench player, and their PF of the future, and tell me Shannon Brown sucks when he's lighting up the 3s on Boston in this years finals, or when he's slamming down show time dunks making the entire Staples Centre stand on their feet and the entire Garden cry and wish you had never made the comment about how Shannon "sucks"

I won't cause um, Shannon Brown is overrated. He misses half his "showtime" dunks, and sometimes gets rejected on them. Ask Jason Maxiell. There should be a website called Dontletshannondunk.com . Oh wait, there already is :laugh2:

masalex1205
01-28-2011, 06:26 PM
Nate > Blake
West < Brown
Daniels < Barnes

:facepalm:

Gators123
01-28-2011, 06:29 PM
I won't cause um, Shannon Brown is overrated. He misses half his "showtime" dunks, and sometimes gets rejected on them. Ask Jason Maxiell. There should be a website called Dontletshannondunk.com . Oh wait, there already is :laugh2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Raj6e2pSpEQ

That was a great block! lol

kgjfan243
01-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Yeah the Celts and Spurs are right there with the Lakers. I just like the Lakers bench as a whole better.

macc
01-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Off topic but I didn't want to make a new thread for one question.

Does anyone here have NBA league pass on their computer? Is it worth getting? Meaning are the games in good "tv" quality? Right now I stream my games on channelsurfing.net and it's not bad but def not TV quality, so is it worth paying the $30 a month for League pass? Thanks in advance.

ManRam
01-28-2011, 06:46 PM
deep benches dont really matter when it comes to playoff time, its all about the 8 man rotation not 16 deep

Agreed. In fact, if Boston threw all 5 bench players out there at once, irregardless of how good of a bench it is, it wouldn't inhance that team's chance of winning.

In the regular season, it matters...in the playoffs, a bench is just basically the top 3 guys not starting. I don't care if Boston has 4 centers or that Orlando has 3 PGs who started last year ever...only one can play at a time, and in the playoffs, no way will all of them see time.

StriveGreatness
01-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Nate > Blake
West < Brown
Daniels < Barnes

Wow. Haha! Theo Ratliff better than Shaq? Wow, bro. DoMeAFavor and don't post nonsense anymore. Got it?

Edit: Although, I should expect this. You're the one that posted the Nets would be the best team in the East if they got Melo....wow.

GSRaider
01-28-2011, 06:50 PM
Who has the worst bench? Warriors? Nets?

Gators123
01-28-2011, 06:55 PM
Off topic but I didn't want to make a new thread for one question.

Does anyone here have NBA league pass on their computer? Is it worth getting? Meaning are the games in good "tv" quality? Right now I stream my games on channelsurfing.net and it's not bad but def not TV quality, so is it worth paying the $30 a month for League pass? Thanks in advance.

The quality on League Pass Broadband is very good. I usually buy it but I'm trying to save up some money so I use atdhe.net for free instead :p

macc
01-28-2011, 06:57 PM
The quality on League Pass Broadband is very good. I usually buy it but I'm trying to save up some money so I use atdhe.net for free instead :p

Ya I use that one as well. Just wanted to make sure that NBA league pass was better quality than atdhe.net. Thanks man

Lake_Show2416
01-28-2011, 07:04 PM
Celtics
Lakers
Spurs

Kobes a Killer
01-28-2011, 07:04 PM

1st of all he's made a lot more dunks than he's missed

2nd Ask Maxiell what??? "Hey Maxiell, do dunkers get blocked sometimes?" "Hey Maxiell, do shot blockers get dunked on sometimes?"

Great logic man, and you could only come up with one dude blocking him? That's a joke Shannons 6'4 which is probably generous, more like 6'3 or 6'2 he's a small dude with a lot of heart and he goes to the rim without fear and completes a higher % of dunks than he misses.

Ya I agree he shouldn't be dunking in the slam dunk contest if that was all he could come up with, way to embarass LA Shannon, he's obviously more of an in game dunker, or are you too smart to realise that

Sixerlover
01-28-2011, 08:07 PM
The "deep" bench is overrated come playoff time because your 5th guard and 4th big man probably won't be getting that many minutes, but I will agree that Boston has a great bench. My Sixers bench is also very talented, partly because all of the talent is around the same level at this point, so any of the bench players and any of the starters could swap and the change wouldn't really be drastic. Not always a good thing, but makes for a good bench.

kblo247
01-28-2011, 08:16 PM

Barnes outplayed every member of the bench for the majority of the year without Odom. He was consistent on the glass, on defense, and scoring whereas Blake has been passive at times and Shannon has been streaky. Before his knee injury he was even finishing games over Artest and was the main reason Ron's minutes were cut. I wouldn't call him a letdown, I would call him the second best bench player outside of Odom.

The way I see the benches are: (no particular order)
- Nate, Delonte, Baby, Shaq
- Blake, Brown, Barnes, Odom
- Arenas, Reddick, Anderson
- Hill, Neal, Bonner, Dice
- Watson, Korver, Brewer, Gibson
- Arroyo, Miller, Haslem