PDA

View Full Version : Is Chris Paul as good as ever?

Mishmin
01-26-2011, 11:21 PM
Two or three seasons ago, the majority acknowledged Chris Paul as the best point in the league. Of course there were stills guys like Nash, Williams, and Parker, but pundits pretty unanimously attached his name with the #1 point guard title. Since the injury that kept him out of the mix last year, many other solid point guards have risen to challenge that unofficial title.

Statisically, he hasn’t gotten back to the numbers from 07-09, but stats are often over-analyzed because Chris Paul is controlling games like he used to and has led the Hornets to a very respectable record.

Is Paul back to playing as well as he ever did? And if so, will he ever be able to so strongly retain the “best point guard” title? Or has the amount of superstar point guards become so considerable that he will stay on a “plateau” with the others?

Hustlenomics
01-26-2011, 11:24 PM
he's the best point guard in the league

210Don
01-26-2011, 11:25 PM
hes cool i think hes a great leader

Gators123
01-26-2011, 11:26 PM
he's the best point guard in the league

Yup

Chronz
01-26-2011, 11:31 PM
Hes still the best but the gap isnt as large as it used to be, that really gos to show how great he used to be. Im not buying the notion that hes controlling games better.

I was listening to a podcast with Simmons and Collison and he mentioned that hes not as aggressive as he used to be, that they arent able to run some of the stuff they used to to free him up. I hate the way the NBA is structured, players are out of their prime before they have the cast around them necessary to win.

Raph12
01-26-2011, 11:32 PM
Easily the best PG in the league, but he was even better in 08...

kjoke
01-26-2011, 11:33 PM
best pg in the league

Raoul Duke
01-26-2011, 11:36 PM
I hate the way the NBA is structured, players are out of their prime before they have the cast around them necessary to win.

Do you think his prime is over now?

I still think he's the best, but there are an awful lot of stud point guards in the NBA right now. It doesn't really worry me that his numbers are down. What worries me is that he isn't being as aggressive at the end of games. Thats very out of character for him.

Mishmin
01-26-2011, 11:39 PM
Do you think his prime is over now?

I still think he's the best, but there are an awful lot of stud point guards in the NBA right now. It doesn't really worry me that his numbers are down. What worries me is that he isn't being as aggressive at the end of games. Thats very out of character for him.

That's true. But also, it took Garnett a full season before he was back to his old level.

Khalifa21
01-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Yes, he is hands down the best PG in the league.

CHANGO
01-27-2011, 06:12 AM
Best PG babyyy! CP3! CP3!

CHANGO
01-27-2011, 06:19 AM
Best PG babyyy! CP3! CP3!

Duncan = Donkey
01-27-2011, 06:22 AM
Yer he is playing great. Probably the 2nd best point guard in the league behind Dragic.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-27-2011, 06:27 AM
Best PG by far and my pick for MVP right now.

leads the league in WS/48 by a wide margin

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-27-2011, 06:27 AM

meloman1592
01-27-2011, 06:30 AM
Hes the best but the gap btwn him & deron isnt big

alencp3
01-27-2011, 06:32 AM
Easily the best PG in the league, but he was even better in 08...

This and i think its because of all the injuries he had. Hopefully in the playoffs we will see the aggressive CP3 scoring 20+ a night

Mishmin
01-27-2011, 12:32 PM
Best PG by far and my pick for MVP right now.

leads the league in WS/48 by a wide margin

But is he playing as good as he did in 08? Or will he get better?

nuggetsyankees
01-27-2011, 12:44 PM
in terms of playing the position how it's supposed to be played he's in the top 3 for sure with Nash and DWill

JayW_1023
01-27-2011, 12:47 PM
He is making Mek Okafor look like an elite center at certain days.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-27-2011, 01:08 PM
But is he playing as good as he did in 08? Or will he get better?

He's PER is a little lower but win shares are equal what he had in 2008.

The thing is he isn't scoring that much and because of that the PER is lower, but he's more efficient than he has ever been.

WeBallin
01-27-2011, 01:31 PM
He's Defintely not the best PG but is top 5, Rose is the current best PG in the league.......

The Embassy
01-27-2011, 01:44 PM
he's pretty much even with Deron and i'm a Deron guy. Those are the top 2 point guards pretty easily.

John Walls Era
01-27-2011, 01:55 PM
He was better back in the day (maybe same, I dunno). But I still don't like him. I rather have Deron Williams.

John Walls Era
01-27-2011, 01:56 PM
He's Defintely not the best PG but is top 5, Rose is the current best PG in the league.......

Rose is gonna be MVP, doesn't mean hes the best PG.

KnicksorBust
01-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Am I the only one who likes that he's scoring less? Their record and his scoring effeciency show me that it might be a good thing...

Hawkeye15
01-27-2011, 01:59 PM
he is still the best PG in the NBA, but his aggressiveness has declined some. Not sure if its the knee, or the style of play the Hornets use. He was unquestionably the best PG from 05-08', and still is, but the competition is much closer now.
It sucks that Paul will probably never have the help in his peak years to win playoff games.

Weezy
01-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Look at his team and look at the record... and he is not even scoring much. He is such an efficient player.. its just amazing so KoB no you are not the only one. His fundamentals as a point guard are forgotten in today's game since most point guards now are mainly based on freak athleticism.

HornetsSolution
01-27-2011, 02:21 PM
Nope he's better now than he was in 08 and he's the best PG in the game. He doesn't score as much as he did because this team is built to play defense. Most of you guys aren't able to watch Hornets games so its somewhat the reason why some say crazy things like his scoring is down. Their is a reason we are on a 10 game win streak. He makes everyone better. No PG in the league have that kind of ability. The PG now in days can only dominate but not help other players dominate. I still think getting a legit scoring SG like Kevin Martin and a backup Center will make this team almost unstoppable...

thekmp211
01-27-2011, 02:21 PM
he is still the best PG in the NBA, but his aggressiveness has declined some. Not sure if its the knee, or the style of play the Hornets use. He was unquestionably the best PG in 2007, and still is, but the competition is much closer now.
It sucks that Paul will probably never have the help in his peak years to win playoff games.

it's his knees. whats remarkable is how well he has maintained his play while having to adjust his game.

the competition for title of best point guard has also improved a lot, but i'll take paul for at least this season.

Hawkeye15
01-27-2011, 02:45 PM

The thing is he isn't scoring that much and because of that the PER is lower, but he's more efficient than he has ever been.

PER is benefited by scoring, and shot volume, so you would expect it to be lower. Offensive rating and win shares are right on par though

Propaganda
01-27-2011, 03:07 PM
He's doing really well coming off a knee injury. I think the biggest thing is that he's helped the Hornets to become a good team. I don't mean to rip on them but look who Paul is playing with on that team. Compared to other elite point guards Paul is getting the most out of the least and I think that shows just how good he is.

WeBallin
01-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Rose is gonna be MVP, doesn't mean hes the best PG.

Bein an Above avg facilator doesn't make you the best an this is who CP3 is he's a great ball handler, an passer but rose is a guy who can faciltate the offense an finish a team off when needed, don't get me i like CP3, but Rose is jus on another level, just like who some of you are basin your thoughts on CP3 havin jus one good season back in 08'

WeBallin
01-27-2011, 03:11 PM
He's doing really well coming off a knee injury. I think the biggest thing is that he's helped the Hornets to become a good team. I don't mean to rip on them but look who Paul is playing with on that team. Compared to other elite point guards Paul is getting the most out of the least and I think that shows just how good he is.

That could be very well said for ROSE also before Boozer got there, an before we knew what Noah was gone be!FWIW BOOZER HAS been hurt so wait till the chemistry gets all the way there........

ManningToTyree
01-27-2011, 03:12 PM
He is the best I see it as
1a CP3
1b D. will

everyone else.

There are a lot of young talented pgs in the league now who will be giving them a run for the title very soon though (Rose,Rondo,Curry,Jennings,Westbrook,Holliday,Wall and so on)

Antipod
01-27-2011, 03:19 PM
he`s back !!!
and i`m soooo glad///my favorite PG in the game

Propaganda
01-27-2011, 03:25 PM
That could be very well said for ROSE also before Boozer got there, an before we knew what Noah was gone be!FWIW BOOZER HAS been hurt so wait till the chemistry gets all the way there........

I would agree for the most part except for a two important things; The Bulls play the Eastern conference's Central division which is terrible. The 2nd team in the central is Milwaukee and they have only 17 wins. The Bulls are also 10-0 in their division. Rose got to play with Noah and Deng while Boozer was out, who are better than any two players on the Hornets that Paul plays with, I'm not a big David West fan. Next, NO plays in the Southwest with San Antonio and Dallas who are really good teams, and Houston is last in that division with 22 wins.
Though I believe Rose is the MVP so far and you're right what I said can apply to Rose, I still think that Paul has helped a much worse team become a good team.

DaBUU
01-27-2011, 03:30 PM
if we're talkin efficiency and headiness, CP3. If we're talking killer explosion and thunderous fury raining down around ya, DRose.

blahblahyoutoo
01-27-2011, 03:33 PM
it's between deron and cp3 imo.

Hawkeye15
01-27-2011, 03:38 PM
if we're talkin efficiency and headiness, CP3. If we're talking killer explosion and thunderous fury raining down around ya, DRose.

seeing as efficiency gets more wins, I will take that over the thunderous fury raining down upon me

Hawkeye15
01-27-2011, 03:39 PM

seeing as efficiency gets more wins, I will take that over the thunderous fury raining down upon me

the headlines part makes no sense. Rose is all over the headlines...

dominater6192
01-27-2011, 03:50 PM

I believe the Bulls have the better record of the two?

DaBUU
01-27-2011, 03:56 PM

the headlines part makes no sense. Rose is all over the headlines...

i meant headiness, meaning always playing smart and having the court sense and vision to know where everyone is at on the floor at all times.

Hawkeye15
01-27-2011, 03:57 PM
I believe the Bulls have the better record of the two?

what does that have to do with what I said?

nolafan33
01-27-2011, 04:04 PM

Lets not act like he's playing with a bunch of scrubs though. The Hornets can continue to upgrade their roster, but we have some good players.

West
Okafor
Ariza
Thornton- bench value

Pondexter has a good future, Jason Smith is a decent backup big, Marco Belinelli would be a good guard to bring off the bench if we can upgrade the two spot. Jarrett Jack is a starter in this league.

DaBUU
01-27-2011, 04:07 PM
For the record, I also think Chris Paul is the best PG in the NBA. He does everything exceptional and has fined tuned that position.

KingPosey
01-27-2011, 04:07 PM
^
Ariza is garbage. He turned a good post season into masking a **** career after.

nolafan33
01-27-2011, 04:09 PM
^
Ariza is garbage. He turned a good post season into masking a **** career after.

That's the farthest from the case, and I won't go into that anymore because I'm certain you RARELY see Ariza play.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-27-2011, 04:12 PM
That's the farthest from the case, and I won't go into that anymore because I'm certain you RARELY see Ariza play.

Ariza is horrible in 9 nights out of 10

HornetsSolution
01-27-2011, 04:19 PM
^

As the number 1 option. How many Hornets games have you watched this year? Good #3, perfect #4. Coaches sometimes put players in position to fail..

Hawkeye15
01-27-2011, 04:21 PM

no Ariza stunk last year in Houston. There is a reason he is more successful in New Orleans. He has a much better leader giving his looks in spots he can be successful, and with New Orleans being the slowest paced team in the NBA, they really rely on Paul running the entire offense, which will help everyone's efficiency since their usage drops a bit. As an individual player, Ariza has been on a 2 year slide. He cashed in on being a 4th option/defender on a championship team. When asked to play an important role in the offense, he is not very good. Last year in Houston, he literally took 2 shots a game that were "I am trying to justify my large contract" shots, just plain stupid that killed any flow the Rox had.
The one thing Ariza has gotten back is his role on the defensive side. But he is a role player, period.

Hawkeye15
01-27-2011, 04:21 PM
As the number 1 option. How many Hornets games have you watched this year? Good #3, perfect #4. Coaches sometimes put players in position to fail..

ding, ding, ding

nolafan33
01-27-2011, 04:24 PM
no Ariza stunk last year in Houston. There is a reason he is more successful in New Orleans. He has a much better leader giving his looks in spots he can be successful, and with New Orleans being the slowest paced team in the NBA, they really rely on Paul running the entire offense, which will help everyone's efficiency since their usage drops a bit. As an individual player, Ariza has been on a 2 year slide. He cashed in on being a 4th option/defender on a championship team. When asked to play an important role in the offense, he is not very good. Last year in Houston, he literally took 2 shots a game that were "I am trying to justify my large contract" shots, just plain stupid that killed any flow the Rox had.
The one thing Ariza has gotten back is his role on the defensive side. But he is a role player, period.

I agree with all of that.

Ariza's far from garbage because he's the lead defender on a defensive minded team. Any offense he provides is just bonus, though it's good to have him in double figures. Sure he's a role player, but all great teams have role players. Great teams have one or two "stars" or great players, everyone else is just a role player.

Ariza fits PERFECTLY with what the Hornets and Coach Monty want to do. He may not even be our 3rd or fourth option on the offensive side, but like I said he does what is asked of him. Great defense and 10 or so points a game.

mikantsass
01-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Short answer... yes

magichatnumber9
01-27-2011, 04:48 PM
seeing as efficiency gets more wins, I will take that over the thunderous fury raining down upon meThis

GSwarriors4LIFE
01-27-2011, 05:08 PM
After seeing him against my warriors last night dude is like the best PG in the league. No disrespect to D. Will but CP3 has regained the #1 spot for PG. I know it's off the subject but does D. Will still deserve to be an all star??

thenyknicks
01-27-2011, 05:11 PM
he just know how to control the game. i hope his body holds up cause hes the future.

IversonIsKrazy
01-27-2011, 05:51 PM
1. CP3
T2. Dwill
T2. Rose
4. Rondo
5. Parker
6. Nash
7. Westbrook

It's all very close tho

DwayneMVPwade
01-27-2011, 06:06 PM
him or Derrick Rose I say as the # 1 PG.

Chronz
01-27-2011, 06:57 PM
Ariza is sucking more in New Orleans than he did in Houston.

Hes scoring 1.25PPP, on par with his previous marks only now hes accounting for less of the offense. His WinShares are being comprised primarily from the defensive end, this is either a result of his teammates or his own improved defense. If you want to argue that his offense has dipped some for the sake of playing better defense then I could see the case (hes getting alot of on the ball rips) still there is no question offensively hes taken a step back.

Am I the only one who likes that he's scoring less? Their record and his scoring effeciency show me that it might be a good thing...
I doubt it, their lack of offensive efficiency is whats preventing them from matching their success from Pauls MVP year.