PDA

View Full Version : What does Eric Gordon need to work on to become an All Star in this league?

LTBaByyy
01-26-2011, 09:45 PM
He avg 24 pts, 4.5 ast, and 1.2 steals a game

He does everything good, very good all around player

Im not saying this year but he has the numbers of an All Star, what does he need to work on?

You cant say win, bc everyone says Blake should be one

Hellcrooner
01-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Killing cp3, deron, parker, kobe etc?

thekmp211
01-26-2011, 09:52 PM
well, you can say win, because teams that get two all-stars selected are always winning teams. thats how you get mo williams in the asg.

honestly, he just needs to be patient. once kobe and nash free up some space on the roster, he'll have a much better chance.

THE MTL
01-26-2011, 09:54 PM
He has the abilities and the stats, but he doesnt have the record. And I for all, dont believe Blake Griffin should be an allstar

LTBaByyy
01-26-2011, 09:57 PM
Ill admit Rudy Gay isnt an All Star player to me, just a flashy really good player

But not all star status, I think Eric Gordon is though and a poor mans Brandon Roy (Healthy)

Bledsoe, Gordon, Aminu, Griffin, and DeAndre Jordan is scary future

Raph12
01-26-2011, 09:58 PM
Defense and rebounding

bulls_world23
01-26-2011, 10:05 PM
Gordon will never be an allstar. i mean there is cp3, dwill , westbrook, parker.. i mean dont get me wrong hes a great player..

Flash3
01-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Gordon will never be an allstar. i mean there is cp3, dwill , westbrook, parker.. i mean dont get me wrong hes a great player..

strong word:eyebrow:

LTBaByyy
01-26-2011, 10:13 PM

What??? :eyebrow: Come on now.

I didnt say as a starter!!! He will get voted in by the coaches

He already has the stats and skills of one, and when the Clippers start winning within the next few years you will see

He is only 22

Avenged
01-26-2011, 10:21 PM
1. The top current guards either go down with injury or retire

and

2. The Clippers need to start winning a lot more games. Griffin is the star of the team so any success they get will be credited to him. If a Clipper were to make the A.S Team.. it would be Griffin. In order for Gordon to at least have a chance, the Clips need to become a solid playoff team.

mttwlsn16
01-26-2011, 10:27 PM
Ill admit Rudy Gay isnt an All Star player to me, just a flashy really good player

But not all star status, I think Eric Gordon is though and a poor mans Brandon Roy (Healthy)

Bledsoe, Gordon, Aminu, Griffin, and DeAndre Jordan is scary future

Just hoping DST doesnt screw this up. Hopefully hes 6 ft under in a year or 2 so someone whos not a pomous racist POS can have this team

bulls_world23
01-26-2011, 10:31 PM
What??? :eyebrow: Come on now.

I didnt say as a starter!!! He will get voted in by the coaches

He already has the stats and skills of one, and when the Clippers start winning within the next few years you will see

He is only 22

how many guards can you have on the team??? like i said westbrook , cp3,and Dwill are all better.. like i said before hes great man but there are better guards out there..

DwayneMVPwade
01-26-2011, 10:38 PM
Defense and rebounding

this

DwayneMVPwade
01-26-2011, 10:39 PM

Well hes already better than parker.

h2r09
he needs to have an all around game. the superstars in this legaue put up points, rebounds and assists, not just points.

LTBaByyy
how many guards can you have on the team??? like i said westbrook , cp3,and Dwill are all better.. like i said before hes great man but there are better guards out there..

CP3 and D Will might not even be in the Western Conference in a couple years!!!! With all the rumors about them frustrated and wanting to leave

But to say Eric Gordon will NEVER be an all star is extreme!!!

He will be one of the best if not THE best 2nd option on an NBA team besides the Heat and Lakers in 4 or 5 years

JasonJohnHorn
01-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Eric Gordon is a great player, no doubt. And is an all-star calibre player as well. The only problem I see with Eric Gordon, is the same problem I see with Ben Gordon: They are both too small to play shooting guard, and not good enough at their passing game to be a point guard. They are both 'tweeners. Due to his size, it is nearly impossible for either Gordon to effectively guard shooting guards like Kobe, Roy, Ray Allen, and a host of other because they have anywhere from 2-4 or even 5 inches on him. Now I have seen Eric Gordon listed as anything from 6-1 to 6-3 and I'm not sure what his actual height is, but when I see him on the floor he looks undersized compared to most of the guys he's guarding. That is a huge liability, most esprcially in the playoffs when you are matching up with guards that have great post-up games (Kobe) or guards that score coming off screens (Allen), because the reach just isn't there to contest the shot.

Coupled with that, Gordon is scoring 20+ on a team that isn't winning. Coaches, and even fans, often overlook 20+ point scorers for the all-star team if they are on teams that aren't winning. The Clips have been playing well lately, but still have a losing record.

I think Eric Gordon, like Ben, will ultimately be best utlilized as a bench player with starting minutes on a team where he can spell the PG and SG and play minutes with the back up SG where either the SF or SG do a lot of ball handling (guys like Kobe, LBJ, Wade, and McGrady).

LTBaByyy
01-26-2011, 10:46 PM
he needs to have an all around game. the superstars in this legaue put up points, rebounds and assists, not just points.

So according to your theory Kevin Durant is not a superstar seeing that he avg 2.9 assist

Gordon puts up 4.5 assist as a SG!!! Thats great
He puts up 24 points!!! Which is Top 10 in the league (8th)
And puts up 3 rebounds when he has Blake Griffin and Jordan on his team

bulls_world23
01-26-2011, 10:47 PM
CP3 and D Will might not even be in the Western Conference in a couple years!!!! With all the rumors about them frustrated and wanting to leave

He will be one of the best if not THE best 2nd option on an NBA team besides the Heat and Lakers in 4 or 5 years

ok fine i take never back......its a loooonnnnngggg shot but if you put it that way then yea....

Chronz
01-26-2011, 10:49 PM
He just needs to recover his 3-Ball which he has, improve his handles to better his pull up game and that should make him an elite scorer. Hes already a great slasher and set shooter thats basically all thats missing.

Defense and rebounding

Hes already stud defender and perimeter players dont really improve rebounding wise.

Chronz
01-26-2011, 10:54 PM
Eric Gordon is a great player, no doubt. And is an all-star calibre player as well. The only problem I see with Eric Gordon, is the same problem I see with Ben Gordon:
I see this all too often, what is it with people and thinking they are anything alike? BG is a very poor mans version of EG.

They are both too small to play shooting guard, and not good enough at their passing game to be a point guard. They are both 'tweeners. Due to his size, it is nearly impossible for either Gordon to effectively guard shooting guards like Kobe, Roy, Ray Allen, and a host of other because they have anywhere from 2-4 or even 5 inches on him.
He defends Kobe great, Ray Allen can be defended by most PG's because he lacks a post game. EG is strong as hell and has long arms. BG is like 6"1 EG is around 6"3-6"4

Now I have seen Eric Gordon listed as anything from 6-1 to 6-3 and I'm not sure what his actual height is, but when I see him on the floor he looks undersized compared to most of the guys he's guarding. That is a huge liability, most esprcially in the playoffs when you are matching up with guards that have great post-up games (Kobe) or guards that score coming off screens (Allen), because the reach just isn't there to contest the shot.
LOL He has the length, you dont contest shots with your head.
Besides your claims are not true at all, guys like Ray Allen can be effectively contained by short armed midgets like D-Fish and JJ Reddick. EG is strong in the post to keep his position and he has the length to bother shots.

Coupled with that, Gordon is scoring 20+ on a team that isn't winning. Coaches, and even fans, often overlook 20+ point scorers for the all-star team if they are on teams that aren't winning. The Clips have been playing well lately, but still have a losing record.

I think Eric Gordon, like Ben, will ultimately be best utlilized as a bench player with starting minutes on a team where he can spell the PG and SG and play minutes with the back up SG where either the SF or SG do a lot of ball handling (guys like Kobe, LBJ, Wade, and McGrady).
LMFAO, so an All-Star caliber player isnt a starter is what your saying.

sargon21
01-26-2011, 11:00 PM

No way.

LTBaByyy
01-26-2011, 11:02 PM
Eric Gordon is a great player, no doubt. And is an all-star calibre player as well. The only problem I see with Eric Gordon, is the same problem I see with Ben Gordon: They are both too small to play shooting guard, and not good enough at their passing game to be a point guard. They are both 'tweeners. Due to his size, it is nearly impossible for either Gordon to effectively guard shooting guards like Kobe, Roy, Ray Allen, and a host of other because they have anywhere from 2-4 or even 5 inches on him. Now I have seen Eric Gordon listed as anything from 6-1 to 6-3 and I'm not sure what his actual height is, but when I see him on the floor he looks undersized compared to most of the guys he's guarding. That is a huge liability, most esprcially in the playoffs when you are matching up with guards that have great post-up games (Kobe) or guards that score coming off screens (Allen), because the reach just isn't there to contest the shot.

Did you just compare Eric Gordon to Ben Gordon??? haha Eric is WAYYYY better

and you said Eric Gordon should be on the bench????

WOW. You have not seen him play :facepalm:

goose15
01-26-2011, 11:04 PM
alot more wins..

LTBaByyy
01-26-2011, 11:06 PM
No way.

In 4 or 5 years???? Yes way.

He is already putting up All Star numbers as a 2nd option to Blake Griffin and he's not in his prime yet

Not including the Heat or Lakers, he will def be top 3 second option players, and could be the 1st in 4 or 5 years

The Jokemaker
01-27-2011, 12:09 AM
He needs to be on a team in LA not named the Clippers.

koreancabbage
01-27-2011, 12:32 AM
He needs to be on a team in LA not named the Clippers.

THIS

but still, no one on the east coast knows about Eric Gordon. He's probably one of the best kept secrets in this league. If you want Eric Gordon to be an all-star- he's not staying as a Clipper for long. As long as he's not an all-star, I say the Clippers have a good chance to keep him without a max type contract .

The Jokemaker
01-27-2011, 02:14 AM
THIS

but still, no one on the east coast knows about Eric Gordon. He's probably one of the best kept secrets in this league. If you want Eric Gordon to be an all-star- he's not staying as a Clipper for long. As long as he's not an all-star, I say the Clippers have a good chance to keep him without a max type contract .

I live on the east coast and I know about him. I remember him in college and knew he was going to be a good player in this league. Kid can flat out score. Fact is he's on the Clippers and doesn't get the attention needed to make the allstar team. Maybe he'll get in with the coaches selections but I doubt it'd be this year.

cargobox
01-27-2011, 05:06 AM
All he does is score. And I'm just tired of Laker fans saying "he needs to be on the Lakers" Well here's a fact, Lakers are getting old, end of story.

abe_froman
01-27-2011, 05:13 AM
1. The top current guards either go down with injury or retire

and

2. The Clippers need to start winning a lot more games. Griffin is the star of the team so any success they get will be credited to him. If a Clipper were to make the A.S Team.. it would be Griffin. In order for Gordon to at least have a chance, the Clips need to become a solid playoff team.

this.

the west is loaded with guards and so statwise he isnt going to get noticed anytime soon(hell deron williams has only been an all star once...and he isnt deron).so staying on the clippers it will take time,along time or for them to take the league by storm.thats his only shot

Hellcrooner
01-27-2011, 10:45 AM
All he does is score. And I'm just tired of Laker fans saying "he needs to be on the Lakers" Well here's a fact, Lakers are getting old, end of story.

fact all lakers big contracts end at the same time.

o wait, that dude in your sig is an Unrestricted FA(providing he refueses to sign anything but the qualyfying the yeaar before) that year::D

Algmuskrats
01-27-2011, 11:06 AM
he can deff be an allstar? hes averaging good stats and plays on an California team.

bootsy
01-27-2011, 11:35 AM
he can deff be an allstar? hes averaging good stats and plays on an California team.

Not sure what this has to do with making an All Star team but ok.:confused:

cardinals1226
01-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Force a trade to the Pacers so he can be in the East and be a dominate in an arguably weak SG position in the East.

JayW_1023
01-27-2011, 12:45 PM
- Better defense
- Better passer on the run

He is already a really consistent scorer. He just needs to become more of an allround player.

Sixerlover
01-27-2011, 12:56 PM
Good question. He's a very good scorer, pretty good defender, maybe his playmaking skills need to be improved a bit.

BrahCake954
01-27-2011, 12:58 PM
as soon as the overrated kobe is gone, he will start making it in the west

cargobox
01-27-2011, 04:03 PM
fact all lakers big contracts end at the same time.

o wait, that dude in your sig is an Unrestricted FA(providing he refueses to sign anything but the qualyfying the yeaar before) that year::D

You have terrible grammar

John Walls Era
01-27-2011, 04:11 PM
No not an allstar player. Plus 2 clippers in the AS game. Thats historic.

sf-fanatic
01-27-2011, 04:30 PM
So according to your theory Kevin Durant is not a superstar seeing that he avg 2.9 assist

Gordon puts up 4.5 assist as a SG!!! Thats great
He puts up 24 points!!! Which is Top 10 in the league (8th)
And puts up 3 rebounds when he has Blake Griffin and Jordan on his team

This is a poor analyst of a superstar. According to this logic, would you rank Monta Ellis ahead of Eric Gordon as a SG?

LTBaByyy
01-27-2011, 04:35 PM
This is a poor analyst of a superstar. According to this logic, would you rank Monta Ellis ahead of Eric Gordon as a SG?

Hell no haha

Eric Gordon is super effecient, Last month he was 9th in fantasy rank!!!!! Out of all the NBA Players

And for the season he is 26th in fantasy ranking, which everything is taking effect

sf-fanatic
01-27-2011, 04:37 PM
I see this all too often, what is it with people and thinking they are anything alike? BG is a very poor mans version of EG.

He defends Kobe great, Ray Allen can be defended by most PG's because he lacks a post game. EG is strong as hell and has long arms. BG is like 6"1 EG is around 6"3-6"4

LOL He has the length, you dont contest shots with your head.
Besides your claims are not true at all, guys like Ray Allen can be effectively contained by short armed midgets like D-Fish and JJ Reddick. EG is strong in the post to keep his position and he has the length to bother shots.

LMFAO, so an All-Star caliber player isnt a starter is what your saying.

I have a question. Would you group Monta and Gordon in similar categories? They are somewhat similar players as undersized SG's with all star potential putting up numbers on losing teams. They both also lack the court vision to be converted to PG which is better for their size. Monta is slightly less efficient because he has to handle the ball a little more because the warriors have no clear cut #1 option like Griffin. I remember you posted before that Monta would be best suited as a 6th man role. Would you put Gordon in that category too? He is more of a scorer than playmaker imo.

I think a better comparison for Eric Gordon would be Kevin Martin instead of Brandon Roy.

cargobox
01-27-2011, 04:38 PM

homer. but im gonna be a homer too. :D
at least Eric Gordon plays D compared to none :rolleyes:

sf-fanatic
01-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Hell no haha

Eric Gordon is super effecient, Last month he was 9th in fantasy rank!!!!! Out of all the NBA Players

And for the season he is 26th in fantasy ranking, which everything is taking effect

I know EG is more efficient (due to playing with BG and not having to handle the ball), but I was pointing out the flaw in your analysis because you used points, rebounds, and assists to call EG a superstar and Monta has better stats in all 3 of those categories.

sf-fanatic
01-27-2011, 04:40 PM
homer. but im gonna be a homer too. :D
at least Eric Gordon plays D compared to none :rolleyes:

I don't think ranking Monta above Gordon is actually homerism.

I think there are valid arguments to say that Monta is the better player of the 2. A clipper fan calling a warrior fan homer in a monta vs eg debate is meaningless...

LTBaByyy
01-27-2011, 04:43 PM
I know EG is more efficient (due to playing with BG and not having to handle the ball), but I was pointing out the flaw in your analysis because you used points, rebounds, and assists to call EG a superstar and Monta has better stats in all 3 of those categories.

When did I say Eric Gordon is a superstar??

He is def not a superstar lol but I do think he will be an All Star next year and have a few more b4 he retires

cargobox
01-27-2011, 04:45 PM
I don't think ranking Monta above Gordon is actually homerism.

I think there are valid arguments to say that Monta is the better player of the 2. A clipper fan calling a warrior fan homer in a monta vs eg debate is meaningless...

Well you're not really providing any evidence are you? I just said Gordon plays D. So how is Monta better?

sf-fanatic
01-27-2011, 04:48 PM
When did I say Eric Gordon is a superstar??

He is def not a superstar lol but I do think he will be an All Star next year and have a few more b4 he retires

My bad then, I misunderstood when you said EG was ahead of superstars in rebs, assists, ppg.

Monta Ellis is ranked 13 in fantasy and EG is 30. Totally useless stat but true.

LTBaByyy
01-27-2011, 04:53 PM
My bad then, I misunderstood when you said EG was ahead of superstars in rebs, assists, ppg.

Monta Ellis is ranked 13 in fantasy and EG is 30. Totally useless stat but true.

No Monta is a beast!!!!! Im not saying he isnt

But if I was an owner and they both were FA I would sign EG since he is only 22 and I just see more potential

sf-fanatic
01-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Well you're not really providing any evidence are you? I just said Gordon plays D. So how is Monta better?

Well first of all, I'm done with the Monta talk. I don't want to turn this into another Monta thread. This thread is about EG and we are leaving it at that. I will not to respond about Monta here any further.

Secondly, you provided 0 evidence in your post. "Eric Gordon plays D." Statistics please? It's just like me saying "Monta Ellis scores points." or "Monta Ellis hits clutch shots." :confused:. It really isn't evidence if it is not supported by any stats. There definitely are stats that EG plays defense and Monta scores and hits clutch shots, but you provided none of it and neither did I.

I'm not going to respond to any posts in this thread about Monta to avoid leading it to a Monta vs EG debate. Any comparisons where I will respond more should be made in the NBA comparison thread.

Sorry everyone, I kind of started it, but let's turn the discussion back to EG !

sf-fanatic
01-27-2011, 05:02 PM
No Monta is a beast!!!!! Im not saying he isnt

But if I was an owner and they both were FA I would sign EG since he is only 22 and I just see more potential

Yeah, can't argue with either thoughts really. I'm slightly disappointed in EG because when i saw him at Indiana, he had deep range on his threes. Kinda like Durant range or even further and he wasnt afraid to shoot. I'm kind of sad it didn't transition YET into the nba. I definitely know he has range from the 30ft area.

kobe24>lebron23
01-27-2011, 05:02 PM

I would take gordan over parker and maybe Westbrook

chisox721
01-27-2011, 05:03 PM
-One of the best long range shooters in the game at age 22
-GREAT at finishing at the rim even though he is only 6'3
-Very solid perimeter defense
-Good passer, only going to get better
-Only real weakness is lack of a post up game

He WILL be an All-Star in the next three years.

Chronz
01-27-2011, 07:32 PM
I have a question. Would you group Monta and Gordon in similar categories? They are somewhat similar players as undersized SG's with all star potential putting up numbers on losing teams.
Even if we were to agree that they are similar offensively, defensively I think EG is better. Monta has T-Rex arms and lacks the mass to hold his position. EG was granted a spot on team USA because of his combination of outside shooting and perimeter defense.

They both also lack the court vision to be converted to PG which is better for their size. Monta is slightly less efficient because he has to handle the ball a little more because the warriors have no clear cut #1 option like Griffin. I remember you posted before that Monta would be best suited as a 6th man role. Would you put Gordon in that category too? He is more of a scorer than playmaker imo.
Monta is significantly less efficient and EG is the Clippers #1 option alongside Blake. Its true Monta handles the ball more but thats partly why I like EG, hes an elite set shooter (though you couldnt tell it from the stats this year) who knows how to get to the line, 2 key attributes to being an elite scorer. There hasnt come a time at any point in Monta's career where hes been this proficient as a scorer. I guess you could argue he get more defensive pressure but personally I think he wants it that way. Hes not willing to share the glory and doesnt know how to make his teammates better. EG can play off of others and with the ball in his hands. Still Id be foolish to assume the stats conclusively prove EG is the better offensive player at this point which is why his defensive abilities make it easy to say hes a better player period.

I think a better comparison for Eric Gordon would be Kevin Martin instead of Brandon Roy.

Yup