PDA

View Full Version : Union preparing for full year lockout?

JordansBulls
01-26-2011, 06:11 PM
http://www.beyondthebeat.net/articles-2011/january/source-hunter-to-kings-qlockout-would-last-all-of-next-seasonq.html

According to one source within the Sacramento Kings organization, Hunter met with the team two weeks ago and warned the players,"that the lockout would last all of next season", if an agreement isn't reached by June 30.

A number of Kings' players confirmed Hunter did speak directly to the team, but would not expand on his year-long lockout stance.

"It could take a year. It could take a day. We really don't know, but I know it's a serious issue and I can see them (players' association) pushing a lockout," Carl Landry told Beyond the Beat.

yanks19791024
01-26-2011, 06:13 PM
JMO,Good I hate what baseteball has become, I hope this is the death of the NBA

D1JM
01-26-2011, 06:14 PM
no basketball and no football? thank god i watch soccer.

knicks_champ
01-26-2011, 06:16 PM

I guess I got to start watching Soccer and Hockey during the winter. :yawn:

SteBO
01-26-2011, 06:17 PM
If you don't like what the NBA has become, dont watch. Simple as that. Rooting for a lockout to happen aint cool man.

wissportsfan
01-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Next year is really going to suck with no football or basketball...maybe they should extend baseball year round

abe_froman
01-26-2011, 06:22 PM

then why the **** are you in an nba forum

knicks_champ
01-26-2011, 06:22 PM
Next year is really going to suck with no football or basketball...maybe they should extend baseball year round

100 game extension :up:

Hangtime
01-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Not really news....we already know the players are preparing for a lockout. One that could possibly wipe out the season if no deal is done. And with the major issues at hand they are far from agreement. I remember the 98-99 season like yesterday and it sucked.

Chronz
01-26-2011, 06:39 PM
It was fun getting to know all of you, see you in 2012

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-26-2011, 06:40 PM
Noooooo, Lakers are getting old

THE GIPPER
01-26-2011, 06:44 PM
A full year lockout actually benefited the nhl in the long run imo so maybe not a bad thing for the nba.

Jonathan2323
01-26-2011, 06:46 PM
I hope not and I doubt it happens.

Thegame187
01-26-2011, 06:51 PM

Thats not cool, don't say mean things like that.

PS: On the plus side there are 2 World Cups this year, so sport is still the winner on the day.

jimm120
A full year lockout actually benefited the nhl in the long run imo so maybe not a bad thing for the nba.

that, though, was a lockout for somewhat different reasons. The league was all the way down. NBA is just 'so-so", no matter what the reports say about it being "bad".

And yes, the NHL would surely get a lot more ratings and tv spots next year if there is no NFL or NBA during the winter.

hgtiger32
the NBA cant aford to have a lockout and lose a year of LeBron, Wade, Kobe, Dwight, CP3, Rose, Rondo, Williams, PRIME.

yanks19791024
01-26-2011, 06:55 PM
]If you don't like what the NBA has become, dont watch.[/B] Simple as that. Rooting for a lockout to happen aint cool man.

then why the **** are you in an nba forum

I don't and have not in over 10 years. Yes rooting for a lockout so these overpaid egotistical NBA players can see what its like in the real world. Ill add the owners are alot to blame here as well

Why does it matter, I made my opinion. I cant post in any forum. I dint have to like something to talk about it

dtmagnet
01-26-2011, 07:09 PM
It has to happen, the NBA players need a wakeup call.

abe_froman
01-26-2011, 07:13 PM
[/B]

I don't and have not in over 10 years. Yes rooting for a lockout so these overpaid egotistical NBA players can see what its like in the real world. Ill add the owners are alot to blame here as well

Why does it matter, I made my opinion. I cant post in any forum. I dint have to like something to talk about it

but shouldnt you not be a yank fan than,if you hate overpaid ,egotistical players?

stawka
01-26-2011, 07:18 PM
The last year of Shaq in the NBA? Hopefully he gets a ring this year and it ends like that

But a year wasted of prime Wade/Lebron/CP3/Williams/Dwight etc. What a ****ing waste

Raph12
01-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Looks like the world will end in 2012 after all lol...

Chronz
01-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Yea this really hurts Wade and Kobe because they are still in the stage of their careers where if they win it helps their legacy, by the time the NBA comes back they wont be the same.

arosen36
01-26-2011, 07:44 PM
in the end, the big losers are the fans that get deprived of happiness, the greedy billionaire owners are jackasses for screwing the fans since those f***s are still gonna get paid

stawka
01-26-2011, 08:30 PM
in the end, the big losers are the fans that get deprived of happiness, the greedy billionaire owners are jackasses for screwing the fans since those f***s are still gonna get paid

This! FML

heathonater
01-26-2011, 09:28 PM
what am i going to do with my time once the nfl and nba are locked out next year? might benefit my grades since i would have nothing else to watch other than college football on saturdays and mlb. hopefully there isnt a lockout for the nba or nfl, because if they do lockout many fans will leave for good. i'll still follow both sports if they go into a lenghty lockout, but the damage done by lengthy lockouts is immense.

Hellcrooner
01-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Since All the FA will like to stay in shape and earn some money on one year deals next years Euroleague is going to be very interesting.
Nba shoudl be carefull maybe espn decides to broadcast it and american vieweres may even like it....

JPHX
01-26-2011, 10:05 PM

hey! we're not all jackasses.

NYtilIdie
01-26-2011, 10:18 PM
What the hell is ESPN gonna talk about in the winter?

LTBaByyy
01-26-2011, 10:20 PM
College football and basketball will have the highest ratings and sales ever!!!

arkanian215
01-26-2011, 10:35 PM
but shouldnt you not be a yank fan than,if you hate overpaid ,egotistical players?

:laugh:

dtmagnet
01-26-2011, 10:41 PM
What the hell is ESPN gonna talk about in the winter?

Favre? Wait he's retired... they will fold!!!

Sixerlover
01-26-2011, 10:48 PM
I doubt there will be a lockout. The players union will eventually give in.

Becks2307
01-27-2011, 12:00 AM
wouldnt it be awesome if it was possible that everyone(mainly the great players)went to europe for the year. it would be like a friggin fantasy draft!!!

shep33
01-27-2011, 12:15 AM
A year lockout is bad for everyone...

Lakers and Celtics get older (however, could help out a bit to rest them haha)
Heat have something to prove
Young teams like OKC are developing
New York basketball is getting interesting... especially with the Nets moving to Brooklyn, and the Knicks actually being significant again.

Overall a lockout is bad... however, if I can't blame owners. Honestly, they give up ridiculous amounts of money these days... I think its unfair to critisize owners, because lets be real none of us own an NBA team.

beasted86
01-27-2011, 12:35 AM

New York basketball is getting interesting... especially with the Nets moving to Brooklyn, and the Knicks actually being significant again.

Overall a lockout is bad... however, if I can't blame owners. Honestly, they give up ridiculous amounts of money these days... I think its unfair to critisize owners, because lets be real none of us own an NBA team.

I don't know... I just think there is always a line of smart business that every entrepreneur should have in the back of his mind, and shouldn't cross.

Nobody is forcing them to sign bad contracts. There has only been a small handful of situations I can recall over the last few years where a player and team can't come to an agreement, and the player wants to overvalue themselves over their own market value. Matter of fact, I can only think of 1, and that was Anderson Varejao in 2007.

Otherwise players can only demand what the market is willing to pay. The owners themselves dictate what they are willing to pay, so I fault the owners themselves.

Hellcrooner
01-27-2011, 12:39 AM
wouldnt it be awesome if it was possible that everyone(mainly the great players)went to europe for the year. it would be like a friggin fantasy draft!!!

player sunder contract cant do that, ( at least not withouth creating a big fuss with lawyers and etc)

BUT the FA can sign one year contracts, so if they really plan on closing fo rone year i can see them going to europe.

that woudl include Carmelo if denver does nto trade him to new york NOW:

They coudl even sign contracts with a clause that frees them to go back to nba as soon as it starts again.

I think some european dudes that get to fa this year, if theres a lockout may decide to go back to europe and REMAIN there long term ( kirilenko or Marc Gasol).

sargon21
01-27-2011, 01:13 AM
why is this lockout happening anyway? who wants more money?

Hellcrooner
01-27-2011, 01:18 AM
why is this lockout happening anyway? who wants more money?

You, me, them everybody

shep33
01-27-2011, 01:31 AM
I don't know... I just think there is always a line of smart business that every entrepreneur should have in the back of his mind, and shouldn't cross.

Nobody is forcing them to sign bad contracts. There has only been a small handful of situations I can recall over the last few years where a player and team can't come to an agreement, and the player wants to overvalue themselves over their own market value. Matter of fact, I can only think of 1, and that was Anderson Varejao in 2007.

Otherwise players can only demand what the market is willing to pay. The owners themselves dictate what they are willing to pay, so I fault the owners themselves.

Yeah I understand what your saying... but at the same time unlike a lot of business owners, NBA owners can't just cut wages, I mean they can and just sign bad players but then they'd lose more money. But it's not like laying off 50 people. Take for example our current economic situation, a lot of companies lay off thousands, and cut costs all over the place. Also like a lot of jobs on the market today, the salary fluctuates to the demand of the company. I think this is the owner's way of doing that in a sense.

But i do agree with what you say. The owners were likely raking it in a few years back, and just like any business they gotta face the problems like everyone else. But like I said before, IMO its just very difficult to cut costs if your an owner to save some money.

beasted86
01-27-2011, 04:27 AM
Yeah I understand what your saying... but at the same time unlike a lot of business owners, NBA owners can't just cut wages, I mean they can and just sign bad players but then they'd lose more money. But it's not like laying off 50 people. Take for example our current economic situation, a lot of companies lay off thousands, and cut costs all over the place. Also like a lot of jobs on the market today, the salary fluctuates to the demand of the company. I think this is the owner's way of doing that in a sense.

But i do agree with what you say. The owners were likely raking it in a few years back, and just like any business they gotta face the problems like everyone else. But like I said before, IMO its just very difficult to cut costs if your an owner to save some money.

The thing is while they publicize how much the players are paid (or overpaid) quoting all the profit sharing figures and openly posting how much they are losing each year.... what they aren't talking about is how they are simultaneously cutting hundreds of arena jobs on the yearly to keep their profits high, and how they also simultaneously are raising ticket prices.

I mean I understand ticket prices rise because of inflation, but just using this as an example... the Miami Heat's team salary payroll is much less than last season despite signing 3 guys to $100M+. The overall team salary is like $7M less than last season, and they won't pay luxury tax like last season.... despite that Erik Spoelstra and the entire coaching staff had to agree to take a paycut so they could keep everyone, also the Heat fired about 100 ticket office employees, and yet simultaneously if you check the ticketmaster prices vs. 09, they had tripled Heat ticket prices in some areas of the arena.

Now using this example, I feel no sort of way for Micky Arison whatsoever. I also have a brother who works for Carnival Cruiselines (also Arison owned), and they are cutting his commissions every year on cruise bookings. So the rich just keep getting richer, I don't really want to hear this "poor us" story by the owners and how it's the player's fault if there is a lockout. It's mainly the owners fault.

JLynn943
01-27-2011, 05:11 AM
Guess I'll start watching college sports. I'll give the NHL another shot, but forget the MLB...

KG2TB
01-27-2011, 06:07 AM
The thing is while they publicize how much the players are paid (or overpaid) quoting all the profit sharing figures and openly posting how much they are losing each year.... what they aren't talking about is how they are simultaneously cutting hundreds of arena jobs on the yearly to keep their profits high, and how they also simultaneously are raising ticket prices.

I mean I understand ticket prices rise because of inflation, but just using this as an example... the Miami Heat's team salary payroll is much less than last season despite signing 3 guys to $100M+. The overall team salary is like $7M less than last season, and they won't pay luxury tax like last season.... despite that Erik Spoelstra and the entire coaching staff had to agree to take a paycut so they could keep everyone, also the Heat fired about 100 ticket office employees, and yet simultaneously if you check the ticketmaster prices vs. 09, they had tripled Heat ticket prices in some areas of the arena.

Now using this example, I feel no sort of way for Micky Arison whatsoever. I also have a brother who works for Carnival Cruiselines (also Arison owned), and they are cutting his commissions every year on cruise bookings. So the rich just keep getting richer, I don't really want to hear this "poor us" story by the owners and how it's the player's fault if there is a lockout. It's mainly the owners fault.

Well considering the Heat's payroll was 7 mil more last year + being in the luxury tax, and Miami had poor attendance, you would think the organization lost quite a bit of money over the years, right? Miami is a small market. Now they can legitimately raise ticket prices because of 3 superstars and hope to gain some of that money lost over the years due to luxury tax and poor attendance. Even with the super friends, do they still sell out every game? It's pathetic if they don't.

It's a slippery slope. Owners, agents, and players are all at fault. The league is at fault. Everyone shares blame and sacrifices are gonna have to be made on all sides.

Very few teams are actually making a positive profit margin. Then take revenue sharing into account, it's a recipe for disaster. To be honest, there's too many teams. There's an overwhelming number of bad contracts. It's really a mess right now and there's no easy fix. I sense a long lockout.

ragee
01-27-2011, 07:17 AM

no basketball and no football? oh my ********** god I'd be forced to watch soccer!

Antipod
01-27-2011, 07:25 AM
No way !! Half season, max !

ChiSox219
01-27-2011, 10:47 AM

Varejao's contract is below market value. That's why so many teams were rumored to be interested before he got hurt.

Algmuskrats
01-27-2011, 10:49 AM
I guess I got to start watching Soccer and Hockey during the winter. :yawn:

Ugh..but i dont wannnnnna!

Algmuskrats
01-27-2011, 10:52 AM
I really dont want to see basketball also be gone for a year...

pistonsfanomg
01-27-2011, 11:00 AM
sweet!!!!!!!!

pistonsfanomg
01-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Guess I'll start watching college sports. I'll give the NHL another shot, but forget the MLB...

lol Wow....

But if I go to the league would you watch me?

SchyGuy11
01-27-2011, 11:07 AM
i can't go a year without watching derrick rose

GivenGrace
01-27-2011, 11:08 AM
Not really news....we already know the players are preparing for a lockout. One that could possibly wipe out the season if no deal is done. And with the major issues at hand they are far from agreement. I remember the 98-99 season like yesterday and it sucked.

yup, remember ESPN trying to make Hockey interesting.

Mary*420*Jane
01-27-2011, 11:17 AM
It's gonna feel very weird not watching basketball / football
:(

pistonsfanomg
01-27-2011, 11:48 AM

lmao he's like god

aussie
01-27-2011, 12:06 PM
god ****ing damn!

there is nothing on in summer in Australia apart from our ****** soccer league and the cricket FML this better not happen!

aman_13
01-27-2011, 12:10 PM
yup, remember ESPN trying to make Hockey interesting.

I honestly don't understand the hate hockey gets south of the border; so many gifted athletes playing in the NHL. Players like Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Malkin, and Kane are so fun to watch. It provides everything you want in a sport. It's a fast pace game, crowds going crazy depending on the city, hard hits, fighting and it looks amazing in HD lol. Hockey is a true sport.

pistonsfanomg
01-27-2011, 08:20 PM
I honestly don't understand the hate hockey gets south of the border; so many gifted athletes playing in the NHL. Players like Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Malkin, and Kane are so fun to watch. It provides everything you want in a sport. It's a fast pace game, crowds going crazy depending on the city, hard hits, fighting and it looks amazing in HD lol. Hockey is a true sport.

I'm not going to lie

Hockey is very good sport....

But because I don't understand the rules & I'm black.... I just do not follow it....

Now during the Stanley Cup Finals then yeah I'm going to watch it only if my Red Wings in it

Furymaker
01-27-2011, 08:25 PM
Hell no !

fadedmario
01-27-2011, 08:47 PM
I hope there is a lockout. **** these greedy ****ing players. (and our bad contracts will be gone lol)

fadedmario
01-27-2011, 08:48 PM

JNA17
01-27-2011, 08:51 PM

no black people, duh.

LA_Raiders
01-27-2011, 08:51 PM
I can see a bright future for soccer... Go Chivas USA & Galaxy

JNA17
01-27-2011, 08:54 PM
Man, no basketball or football next year? Wtf am i supposed to watch?...

I wish America sponsored Rugby more, such a fun, much faster paced sport then football, basketball combined, and anybody can play! (well kind of like football you need to be in shape since it's a very very very rough sport but still).

The best of all.....injuries! :clap:

fadedmario
01-27-2011, 08:55 PM
Who really cares about the NHL? In 10 years it won't even be one of the big "4". It's a dying sport...

JNA17
01-27-2011, 09:00 PM
Who really cares about the NHL? In 10 years it won't even be one of the big "4". It's a dying sport...

if you think hockey is a dieing sport, look at Golf in 10 years when Tiger Woods is gone.

pd1dish
01-27-2011, 09:22 PM

i completely agree. the reason those guys are able to become owners in the nba is that, at least the majority of them, earned enough money to buy an nba team because of their elite business skills. they know what their doing and they know how to make money and they also know that they can probably make more money in the long run trying to get the players to agree to earn less money even if it means a year less of ticket sales, tv deals, etc.