PDA

View Full Version : Is Blake Griffin what Michael Beasley was supposed to be in the NBA?

JordansBulls
01-26-2011, 06:00 PM
Is Blake Griffin what Michael Beasley was supposed to be in the NBA?

Like how good was Beasley to become?

Gators123
01-26-2011, 06:01 PM
NBAdraft.net compared him to Carmelo and Draftexpress.com said his comparison was "Amare Stoudemire Meets Antawn Jamison"

Hawkeye15
01-26-2011, 06:03 PM
well, Beasley isn't the athlete Blake is/was. I am not sure Beasley was viewed with quite as much potential, afterall he slipped to #2 in his draft. Griffin was a monster no brainer as the consensus #1 pick in his draft.
I watched Beasley A LOT at KSU. I thought he would be slightly more productive than he has been, but just watching him, and his demeanor, you could tell he would never have the fire to be one of the best in the NBA. Can he be a top 20 player? Possibly. But their games are indeed a bit different. Or at least they were in college. Blake has always exuded 100% effort. Beasley was criticized out of high school for coasting at times.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-26-2011, 06:04 PM
In terms of game and production, barely, as we all knew Beasley was more of a wing and going to shoot the ball while Griffin was going to be a highlight reel.

But in terms of how they were going to impact a team, I think so because everyone thought Beasley was going to contribute right away. He's doing work now but even then, not as good as Blake.

Draco
01-26-2011, 06:08 PM
No one thought Griffin was going to explode like he has in his rookie season. To get a sense of how the media compared the two I remember someone asked David Thorpe before the 2008 draft who had the most potential. Thorpe said he hadn't seen too much of Griffin but thought Beasley was the better prospect. Oops.

Sly Guy
01-26-2011, 06:13 PM
No one thought Griffin was going to explode like he has in his rookie season. To get a sense of how the media compared the two I remember someone asked David Thorpe before the 2008 draft who had the most potential. Thorpe said he hadn't seen too much of Griffin but thought Beasley was the better prospect. Oops.

I expected him to explode. Maybe not this much, but I had him as the runaway rookie of the year.

I can't say anything of the sort when it comes to beas.....Personally, I think that anyone who though beas was gonna be as good as Grif should pass me some of what they're smokin.

lvlheaded
01-26-2011, 06:14 PM
I feel like there is a new BG thread everyday hahaha.

That said, Griffin is an absolute monster. I dont think Beasley was ever thought to have the ridiculous potential Griffin has

sf-fanatic
01-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Antawn Jamison or Carmelo are better examples as mentioned earlier.

thekmp211
01-26-2011, 06:15 PM
well, Beasley isn't the athlete Blake is/was. I am not sure Beasley was viewed with quite as much potential, afterall he slipped to #2 in his draft. Griffin was a monster no brainer as the consensus #1 pick in his draft.
I watched Beasley A LOT at KSU. I thought he would be slightly more productive than he has been, but just watching him, and his demeanor, you could tell he would never have the fire to be one of the best in the NBA. Can he be a top 20 player? Possibly. But their games are indeed a bit different. Or at least they were in college. Blake has always exuded 100% effort. Beasley was criticized out of high school for coasting at times.

beasley was a super-elite rebounder in college, which is why it's strange to me that he is a below average rebounder for a small forward in the nba. i'd say effort has a lot to do with that. not saying he should be pulling down 13 a game, but 7-9 boards out of him is not unreasonable.

not sure how the expectations for the two compare. beasley was a number 2 pick but i think most people expected him to develop at a similar pace to rose, which obviously hasn't happened. still has a lot of time to improve, though, and i really do think beas could be a top 5 scorer in the league.

Mishmin
01-26-2011, 06:15 PM
Antawn Jamison or Carmelo are better examples as mentioned earlier.

agreed.

DJakk
01-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Blake Griffin is what Blake Griffin was supposed to be. You forget his amazing talent because of his injury. Beasley wasn't going to be the rebounding monster that he was in college because he had size against Kansas State opponents and the NBA is a completely different story.

WadeCounty
01-26-2011, 06:18 PM
most definitely, from all the hype I heard of beasley I expected this guy to bring the rim down with dwight howard needing to go to the hospital with the facial beasley had left him but he was far from that

Where's KG?
01-26-2011, 06:22 PM
We could just create one Blake Griffin/Lebron James/Miami Heat thread and we could eliminate the need for all others......

Hawkeye15
01-26-2011, 06:23 PM
beasley was a super-elite rebounder in college, which is why it's strange to me that he is a below average rebounder for a small forward in the nba. i'd say effort has a lot to do with that. not saying he should be pulling down 13 a game, but 7-9 boards out of him is not unreasonable.

not sure how the expectations for the two compare. beasley was a number 2 pick but i think most people expected him to develop at a similar pace to rose, which obviously hasn't happened. still has a lot of time to improve, though, and i really do think beas could be a top 5 scorer in the league.

KSU also did the following with him every single play:
Throw the ball into Beasley on the high post. he turns. he drives left, he makes or misses a layup. If he misses, he just rebounds his own miss.
Seriously. Also, the Big 12 wasnt that strong at the time, and Beasley had minimal competition.
I think Beasley could easily be a top 5 scorer in the NBA. But would it benefit the Wolves? I am not sure about that

Eg714
01-26-2011, 06:24 PM
No he's better than what beasley was supposed to be

Thegame187
01-26-2011, 06:26 PM

I have $500 on him to get ROY, so I thought he was going to be pretty good (or did I think wall was over rated???) - Either way keep going fella and win me my cash!!!

Lloyd Christmas
01-26-2011, 06:27 PM
To be perfectly honest, I though Beasley was the real deal. He had an inside-outside game and was a monster on the boards. I thought Blake was more of a crazy athelete who could only throw down dunks and would take a few years to develop. I was wrong both times.

Draco
01-26-2011, 06:27 PM
I have $500 on him to get ROY, so I thought he was going to be pretty good (or did I think wall was over rated???) - Either way keep going fella and win me my cash!!!

did you think he would have one of the best rookie seasons of all time?

BkOriginalOne
01-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Beasley wasn't supposed to be this good and neither was Blake.

DwayneMVPwade
01-26-2011, 06:30 PM
People thought he was going to be a better version of Carmelo because he is left handed

DwayneMVPwade
01-26-2011, 06:32 PM
You guys got to give Beasley a break. Only his 3rd year in the league and he is averaging 20 points.

Hawkeye15
01-26-2011, 06:35 PM
You guys got to give Beasley a break. Only his 3rd year in the league and he is averaging 20 points.

there isn't much criticism here. Nobody is saying he is bad. Its just that Beasley was touted by many as a player who would immediately change a team for the better. Quite frankly, he is an inefficient scorer who gets a lot of looks. is he talented? you bet. But he has got to learn to score more in flow than purely off iso's (this would jumpstart his efficiency), his defense needs work, and he could be more involved on the glass.

Gibbster49
01-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Blake will be the BEST NBA player, in 2 years. MVP!

Raph12
01-26-2011, 06:48 PM
He has a completely different skill set, so no...

thekmp211
01-26-2011, 07:07 PM
KSU also did the following with him every single play:
Throw the ball into Beasley on the high post. he turns. he drives left, he makes or misses a layup. If he misses, he just rebounds his own miss.
Seriously. Also, the Big 12 wasnt that strong at the time, and Beasley had minimal competition.
I think Beasley could easily be a top 5 scorer in the NBA. But would it benefit the Wolves? I am not sure about that

yes the big 12 was pretty weak, but still his drop off as a rebounder is still pretty huge.

i didnt mean scorer just as in ppg. like, total package scoring. and i think that a top 5 scorer in the game probably helps every team.

Becks2307
01-26-2011, 07:18 PM
how do you guys forget how weak the draft blake griffin in was supposed to be. He was the only decent player, i dont think we ever expected him to be this good, EVER. Beasley on the other hand looked like a god in college.

Chronz
01-26-2011, 07:24 PM

I put money on Blake too but you cant say you expected him to be this good.