PDA

View Full Version : How to guard Rajon Rondo

JAHRONMON
01-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Rajon Rondo is the 2nd most pure point guard in the entire NBA after Chris Paul (because Chris can shoot, and Rajon can't). I watch teams play against Rajon and i realized the defender lets him be good and average the insane amounts of assists he produces. But guarding him and containing him is easier thank you may think.

Step 1.
DONT SAG OFF HIM
I understand he can't really shoot and sagging off him saves energy, Rajon has learned to play with people sagging off him. Watch him and you will see he hardly moves when he has the halfcourt, most of his passes are with him standing, there great passes but if you press him and bother him he wont be *** effective. it's easier to make a pass when you have space, so if you press him and get all in his business he will be forced to make harder pass and it can create turnovers, pressing him will also make him move on offense which can disrupt the offense because the C's offense is built on Rajon passing to KG PAUL AND ALLEN. When he moves he can end up in the wrong position on the floor therefore disrupting the Offense.

Step 2.
FORCE HIM TO THE CORNER
When you force him in the corner he has limted options, he can drive baseline and get confronted by a taller center, he can pass to the wing or the post. (he could pass to the top or the other side of the court but this is high risk and can result in a turnover. When you force him to the corner help defense is easier because there is less space to work with so your center can help without leaving his man WIDE OPEN.

Step 3.
DO NOT LET HIM RUN
He is faster than you and he can finish at the basket on the break, make sure the you let him get the ball in the backcourt and make him walk the ball up the floor you do this by staying at the top of the key on offense and make sure he is in the paint when the other team gets the ball if he gets behind you and receives an outlet pass at halfcourt....HE GONE.

These steps will make Rajon and the C's less effective on offense.
Good luck trying to disrupt their defense though.

Super.
01-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Dear god we should hide this so the NBA coaches who use PSD don't find it

mikantsass
01-26-2011, 03:59 PM
great breakdown.

JAHRONMON
01-26-2011, 04:00 PM

JAHRONMON
01-26-2011, 04:00 PM
great breakdown.

thanks

STA_PLAR
01-26-2011, 04:05 PM

what he said

asandhu23
01-26-2011, 04:10 PM
Jason Kidd says hi!

Mishmin
01-26-2011, 04:16 PM
Yeah it's crazy how teams think they're doing right in backing off him, thereby giving him the shot he can't make.. but also just giving a court visionary a clear line of site for all-stars to run around.

NickyNick
01-26-2011, 04:18 PM
well goodthing your just on the internet and not actually playing him or he'd be screwed.....seriously why are you telling us how to guard someone? haha

kurivaimu
01-26-2011, 04:22 PM
First off, the reason why defenders give him space is 1) He's not a great shooter. 2) He's tremendously fast, and when you play close to him he will blow right past you and make a layup all day long.
Second, how the hell will you force a player as quick as Rondo and with great ballhandling skills as rondo to the corner. He is a point guard for crying out loud, he knows how to avoid the corner and avoid getting trapped. It will probably take a double team to force him to the corner, and then what? Leave rayray or pierce or kg open?
Third, your third idea is just...

And do you really think that NBA coaches and players haven't tought of ways of stopping Rondo?

210Don
01-26-2011, 04:28 PM
cool thanx im gonna play him this weekend, was thinking all night about how to guard him.

Nighthawk
01-26-2011, 04:28 PM
good stuff

sep11ie
01-26-2011, 04:31 PM
Can you tell us how to pitch to Miguel Cabrera now please?

Hawkeye15
01-26-2011, 04:33 PM
its actually not a bad analysis. Instead of bashing it, maybe give some input.

ZHawk1123
01-26-2011, 04:34 PM
Easier said than done bro.

Confusious
01-26-2011, 04:36 PM
Step 4:
Trip him.

Step 5:
Be Derrick Rose.

marvILLous
01-26-2011, 04:36 PM
does this work for 2k11?

xxplayerxx23
01-26-2011, 04:42 PM
I sortof agree with you bro.he so quick its obv so hard. But i would sag off him if he by the three point line stand by the free throw line. Hands up !!block down the passes

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-26-2011, 04:43 PM

LOLOLOL!!!!! :laugh2:

godolphins
01-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Seriously I think I can guard Rondo and do a pretty damn good job, I'm a good defender but suck on offense

WizFan3
01-26-2011, 04:45 PM
cant stop him no matter what and even if u do the other players r havn a party

xxplayerxx23
01-26-2011, 04:46 PM
does this work for 2k11?

I just sag off him and jump when he goes for a pass works for me :D

kblo247
01-26-2011, 04:50 PM
Not a bad analysis, but it isn't the end all to stop Rondo:

Kobe per Phil Jackson orders sags off him, but he also cuts his gaps and takes away his immediate passing angles with his hands and feet.

He forces him to stay at the top instead of the corners so as to direct Allen and Pierce into the corner 3 and to give Fish or Artest time to react to it or for Pau and LO/Drew to rotate out since the bigs generally are at the elbows.

As for the running point, you have a point. If he does you foul his *** since that is another weakness of his.

pedrofan45
01-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Very good points.. but some players just can't be stopped. It's like when the Celtics play Lebron or Kobe. Rivers knows that those players can't be stopped so he lets guys play one on one with them. He knows those players are going to get their points, he just makes sure the other players on the team are being taken care of.

To be honest I don't know much about basketball since I was a hockey player. But your third point was that he's fast and to not let him run. there's a reason why teams give him a open shot.. they pressed him in the playoffs last year and that's when he was averaging 20 points a game. He's fast as **** so he just blows by the defender. Now that teams are actually backing off, he just goes for assists mostly. That's my take on it anyways :shrug:

Ebbs
01-26-2011, 04:55 PM

lol

I stopped reading when he dropped the "rondo can't shoot bit".

Aussy4GM
01-26-2011, 05:07 PM
well goodthing your just on the internet and not actually playing him or he'd be screwed.....seriously why are you telling us how to guard someone? haha

:clap: :clap: :clap:

anyways i saw a good video somebody put up about guarding him check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RQljcjRIHk&playnext=1&list=PLEEB7962810CE6E58&index=20

xxplayerxx23
01-26-2011, 05:13 PM
lol

I stopped reading when he dropped the "rondo can't shoot bit".

He cant shoot lol :)

kurivaimu
01-26-2011, 05:14 PM
how is it a good analysis? you guys know anything about bball?

xxplayerxx23
01-26-2011, 05:15 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

anyways i saw a good video somebody put up about guarding him check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RQljcjRIHk&playnext=1&list=PLEEB7962810CE6E58&index=20

Yeah one pos you should show us how great of a job he did on felton christmas day :D:D:clap:

DaBUU
01-26-2011, 05:26 PM
Hes super crafty, those type of players are to hard to plan against cuz they usually come up with something you're not expecting. Whether it be a crazy no look, being able to finish around the basket in more than one way, using his length to keep the defender away, etc. Rondo is capable of all that.

Hustlenomics
01-26-2011, 06:20 PM
only person stopping him is himself

Step 4:
Trip him.

Step 5:
Be Derrick Rose.

then Rondo would drop triple doubles :(

jp611
01-26-2011, 06:29 PM
simple... make him shoot jump shots

DJakk
01-26-2011, 06:31 PM
This is fake. You can't stop Rondo.

SteBO
01-26-2011, 06:31 PM
Laying off Rondo hasn't always worked. Rondo won't take the jump shot unless he truly has to regardless of the way opposition is playing him.

xnick5757
01-26-2011, 06:37 PM
He cant shoot lol :)

shooting 52 percent from the field this year, and 30 percent from 3pt land.

Hawkeye15
01-26-2011, 06:40 PM

again with this? He shoots 30% from midrange, but half his attempts are at the rim. He doesn't shoot many three's at all. Add to that his free throw percentage is horrendous, and Rondo IS NOT A GOOD SHOOTER. he is a good layer upper, no doubt.

flclfanman
01-26-2011, 06:57 PM

Yep, uncontested layups are awesome :eyebrow:

You've heard of hack-a-shaq right? Pretty soon teams are gonna "hack-a-Rondo" in close games.

xxplayerxx23
01-26-2011, 07:02 PM

You joking?:eyebrow: He hits layups he can not shoot from the premiter. Keep him there and he wont hurt u shooting wise, he is amazing so he will hurt u with his dishing and his teamates swishing:)

BucktownUSA
01-26-2011, 08:38 PM
thanks for this reference

Missing56&33
01-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Rajon Rondo is the 2nd most pure point guard in the entire NBA after Chris Paul (because Chris can shoot, and Rajon can't). I watch teams play against Rajon and i realized the defender lets him be good and average the insane amounts of assists he produces. But guarding him and containing him is easier thank you may think.

Step 1.
DONT SAG OFF HIM
I understand he can't really shoot and sagging off him saves energy, Rajon has learned to play with people sagging off him. Watch him and you will see he hardly moves when he has the halfcourt, most of his passes are with him standing, there great passes but if you press him and bother him he wont be *** effective. it's easier to make a pass when you have space, so if you press him and get all in his business he will be forced to make harder pass and it can create turnovers, pressing him will also make him move on offense which can disrupt the offense because the C's offense is built on Rajon passing to KG PAUL AND ALLEN. When he moves he can end up in the wrong position on the floor therefore disrupting the Offense.

Step 2.
FORCE HIM TO THE CORNER
When you force him in the corner he has limted options, he can drive baseline and get confronted by a taller center, he can pass to the wing or the post. (he could pass to the top or the other side of the court but this is high risk and can result in a turnover. When you force him to the corner help defense is easier because there is less space to work with so your center can help without leaving his man WIDE OPEN.

Step 3.
DO NOT LET HIM RUN
He is faster than you and he can finish at the basket on the break, make sure the you let him get the ball in the backcourt and make him walk the ball up the floor you do this by staying at the top of the key on offense and make sure he is in the paint when the other team gets the ball if he gets behind you and receives an outlet pass at halfcourt....HE GONE.

You know whats so interesting about this thread. A few years ago no body would have even thought about mentioning Rajon Rondo's name let alone talking about how to guard him. He has become one of the best pg in the league in such a short time. Sure the big three had something to do with it but if you was to put RR on a different team......i guarantee you that he would make that team better and the players around him better because he is mostly responsible for his success.

ElMarroAfamado
01-26-2011, 09:03 PM
make him take a jumpshot but most importantly cut off his passing lanes....

he will roam around looking for an open man in a big *** empty space for the 24 seconds since he cant shoot hahah

ElMarroAfamado
01-26-2011, 09:05 PM

haha
really? 52 percent? are those shots or layups?
or is that like lebron james when he goes 14-21 and people say "lebron had a great shooting night!"
when like 1 of those was a shot?
haha

JARVIS123
01-26-2011, 09:24 PM
it's simple. keep him in front of you,instead of trying to go over the screen go under.he's not a pick n pop guy like ray allen.kobe showed the best defense in the finals.

tr3ymill3r
01-26-2011, 09:24 PM
Make him shoot rather than being a facilitator.

JARVIS123
01-26-2011, 09:36 PM
it's not like he's s.nash/cp3/d.w./d.rose/r.westbrook those guys can be a threat on the offense end.he just look for the real mvps of the c's to pass the ball to.

Hustlenomics
01-26-2011, 09:43 PM
i can tell who hasn't been watching Rondo much this season from the posts in this thread

thekmp211
01-26-2011, 09:44 PM
interesting. i like the idea of forcing him to a corner, minimal space and minimal angles for him to exploit.

as for sagging off him in the half-court, i'd say it depends on who you are. more athletic guys need to body him up cause they can stay in front of him. if he can burn you, though...sag off. lesser of two evils.

fadedmario
01-26-2011, 09:53 PM
make him shoot from outside the free throw line

unwantedplayer
01-26-2011, 09:54 PM
again with this? He shoots 30% from midrange, but half his attempts are at the rim. He doesn't shoot many three's at all. Add to that his free throw percentage is horrendous, and Rondo IS NOT A GOOD SHOOTER. he is a good layer upper, no doubt.

Actually, he shoots roughly 28.6% from mid-range, where he averages .4 attempts a game and makes around .1 of them. The area where Rondo usually takes his shots because the opponent leaves him open is at the 16-23 feet area. There he is averaging 2.6 attempts a game and makes around 1.3 of them for a percentage in that area of 46%. So, when his opponents leave him open in that area, there's a decent chance he's going to make it. I mean, yeah, he's left open in that area, but if he's knocking them down in that area, he's better than what people give him credit for.

Sure, it's small sample size but it's an improvement from last year where he averaged 2.3 attempts in the same area but only making .7 of them, which was good for 33%. By no means am I giving credit to Rondo for being a great shooter (which he isn't obviously) but give him some credit. Teams are giving him space to shoot that J and he's making them.

Geargo Wallace
01-26-2011, 09:58 PM
the best way to guard a PG in today's NBA... it's impossible. The amount of carrying these guys get away with is ridiculous. Carrying makes it that much tougher to tell when a player is gonna pull up to shoot or continue to dribble. PG's would be a little more human if they couldn't palm it.

NickyNick
01-26-2011, 11:09 PM

you are the biggest celtics hater on PSD....get a life!

lakeshow3peat
01-27-2011, 02:26 AM
easier breakdown make him a jump shooter and foul him easy as 123

LA_Raiders
01-27-2011, 02:30 AM
Easy, Just crowd the basket, that dude can't shot even for his life...

John Walls Era
01-27-2011, 02:35 AM

I think SVG is a regular.

Sadds The Gr8
01-27-2011, 02:36 AM
ZOMG i'm so gonna use this gameplan against Rondo in 2k!

dodie53
01-27-2011, 03:40 AM
kick him in the nuts.

hehe

JayW_1023
01-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Rondo is one of the few players who can dominate a game without scoring a single point. He'll only score when the opportunity arises. That's why he is a terror to deal with and not the kind of player you stop with just one guy. You need to play great team defense to neutralize Rondo's impact on the game. He is one of the best at passing on the move, and his teammates are really great at getting open.

Algmuskrats
01-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Great post.

Algmuskrats
01-27-2011, 10:05 AM
kick him in the nuts.

hehe

I'm sure that would work perfectly lol.

magichatnumber9
01-27-2011, 10:36 AM

Your dislike for Rondo is so obvious. I hope Ricky someday plays for that abomination called the Timberwolves so Rondo can torch his ***.

JayW_1023
01-27-2011, 12:13 PM

The irony is though...when he has to make them though, he does. Seen it in last postseason, he hits a three or a long two out of nowhere on decisive moments.

Pretty gutsy, considering his reputation as an erratic shooter. And I think his perpetual hustle on defense compensates alot of his shortcomings on the offensive end.

I remember in the finals Kobe has a switch on him, and posted Rondo up...Rondo however, didn't back down. In a split second he got a piece of Kobes dribble thanks to his crazy wingspan, and tapped it off Kobes leg out of bounds.

I don't see many veterans making such a savvy play on a Hall of Fame player of Kobes stature. Let alone a 24 year old PG. This kid just thinks the game so well.

AIRMAR72
01-28-2011, 09:59 AM

Step 1.
DONT SAG OFF HIM

Step 2.
FORCE HIM TO THE CORNER

Step 3.
DO NOT LET HIM RUN

nice try but its all rubbish teams already tried those tactics against rondo only rondo stops rondo...rondo and kidd or the only 2 PG that ive seen to ever play in da league to dominate the game without scoring at all on both end

0nekhmer
01-28-2011, 11:50 AM
i play zone everytime rondo is on the court, and let him shoot it from anywhere, works pretty good. (on 2k11 that is :D)

Big Ken
01-28-2011, 03:20 PM
there is no way to guard him!!!!!!! end of story

Atticus Finch
01-28-2011, 03:35 PM
This reminds me of when my old roommate took too much acid and told me he could throw a perfect game in the MLB because all you had to do was throw what the hitter didn't expect you to throw.

Lake_Show2416
01-28-2011, 03:37 PM
No....

mlisica19
01-28-2011, 03:41 PM
I would put my best defensive guard on Rondo for man to man. Making sure he does not come out to far but he shadows his @** all day.

Then the other 4 guys will be in the paint in a box. They will stay put for any drives Rondo decides to do. Except one guy will rush out if the ball is passed over.

Yet everything is easier said than done because Boston is a well prepared team with great system and great players.

Ray Allen can release the ball faster than anyone in the league.
Their big guys can shoot from a distance.
Paul Pierce is well rounded guy and needs a shadow as well or hell run away with points.

The worst part is that Rondo is a beast in transitional play. A rebound and a pass to ROndo can lead to an easy 2 to 3 baskets and a possible and-1. Common in Boston.

Rondo will run around all day until one guy is open

redsox0717
01-28-2011, 03:45 PM
:laugh2: Yeah like all the coaches and basketball minds haven't tried practically everything to stop Rondo, with limited success. Thank you random internet person for your advice on how to play Rondo, I'm sure it's much more effective than what plans teams have against Rondo every night.

And Hawkeye bashes Rondo in practically every single thread, it's hilarious

beasted86
01-28-2011, 03:55 PM
I've already gone over this... Rondo is a terrible FT shooter. Play up close on him and put him on the foul line if he burns you.

Do this especially if you are already in the penalty since you have nothing to lose. I'm seriously waiting for the first coach to use hack-a-Rondo in a playoff series.

stlbest5in2013
01-28-2011, 06:24 PM

why would we give it input? last time i checked we are not in the nba or experts of it. we are a bunch of talent less losers posting on the internet

Kyben36
01-28-2011, 08:09 PM
still say sag off the guy. let him shoot jays all day, dare him to. say it to his face. he seems like the type you could get under his skin easily.

thekmp211
01-28-2011, 08:12 PM
if i may throw in an opinion, it's that threads like this are ENDLESSLY more interesting than point guard rankings. just a suggestion for the future, psd.

J4KOP99
01-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Your dislike for Rondo is so obvious. I hope Ricky someday plays for that abomination called the Timberwolves so Rondo can torch his ***.

What did he say that you are disagreeing with? I didn't see anything wrong with the post.. He rarely takes "jump shots" and has a solid FG% because it is mostly lay-ups.

I'm sure my opinion lacks credibility because I am a Lakers fan though, and therefore must be a Rondo "hater"

Corey
01-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Dont try to contain Rondo, try to contain Pierce - Allen and KG.

Rondo's not going to hurt you with his own scoring too badly unless you leave wide open lanes to the hoop for layups.

If you can shut Ray Allen down, disrupt ball movement, and turn Rondo into a jump shooter...He isn't effective.

Hustlenomics
01-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Dont try to contain Rondo, try to contain Pierce - Allen and KG.

Rondo's not going to hurt you with his own scoring too badly unless you leave wide open lanes to the hoop for layups.

If you can shut Ray Allen down, disrupt ball movement, and turn Rondo into a jump shooter...He isn't effective.

there's been plenty games where ray allen was off and rondo still played well

Corey
01-28-2011, 09:17 PM
there's been plenty games where ray allen was off and rondo still played well

It's not a matter of Ray hitting his shots or not, its a matter of disrupting ball movement and not allowing Ray to get around his screens.

Doesn't really matter if he makes it or not, it matters if the play is broken down.

Hustlenomics
01-28-2011, 09:39 PM
It's not a matter of Ray hitting his shots or not, its a matter of disrupting ball movement and not allowing Ray to get around his screens.

Doesn't really matter if he makes it or not, it matters if the play is broken down.

I understand Ray running off screens is a big part of their game plan but I'm not sold on it stopping Rondo from being effective ..here's some games with Ray Allen being off and without him

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=280506002
^Ray not a factor Rondo drops 15,6,5

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=280414018
^ Ray doesn't play Rondo drops 23 (11-15 shooting), 5 assists, 10 boards

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=280317024
^ Ray didn't play and Rondo dropped 20,3,6

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=280129014
^ no Ray and Rondo drops 23,3,6

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=271214002
^ no Ray Rondo drops 17,8,4

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=290428002
^ Ray is shut down and Rondo dropped 28,11,8

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=290418002
^ Ray goes 1-12 and Rondo drops 29,7,9

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=290514019
^ Ray goes 2-11 and Rondo drops 19,6,16, with 4 stls

Rondo still adjusted and was able to be effective

Corey
01-28-2011, 09:49 PM
You aren't understanding.

I JUST said it's not a matter of if Ray is hitting his shots (or whoever is playing the 2) -- it's a matter of the play being run correctly or being broken down by the defense.

Ray could go 1-20, and it wouldn't matter.