PDA

View Full Version : New changes if qualifying rained out.

Nascar-NJDevils
01-26-2011, 08:33 AM
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The days of the starting order for NASCAR Sprint Cup being set by rank in points when qualifying is rained out might be coming to an end.

Multiple sources said after Monday meetings with NASCAR that plans are in place to set the qualifying order based on practice speeds, and the starting order based on practice speeds if qualifying is rained out.

The qualifying order currently is set by a draw, with the team whose owner has the most owner points picking first.

Under the proposed plan, which is expected to be announced Wednesday by chairman Brian France, the only way the starting order will be based on points is if both practice and qualifying are rained out.

Last year, Kevin Harvick won poles in the Martinsville spring race and the Daytona race in July as the points leader after qualifying for both was rained out. Eventual series champion Jimmie Johnson claimed the pole at the spring Talladega race, also because of inclement weather.

In 2009, the starting order of six races was set by points after qualifying was washed out. In 2008, there were 10.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=6056989&type=story

Driven
01-26-2011, 11:11 AM
It's a wash to me. I do like that they're trying to change this up. To me, it's a little more unfair, but having qualifying determined by practice speeds will at least switch things up.

MarkieMark48
01-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Love it.

warrior63
01-30-2011, 04:18 PM
YAY. I've never liked the fact that if qualifiying was rained out that the starting grid was set by the points. I applaud NASCAR for trying to make things more fair. Setting the starting lineup by practice speeds will at least give drivers not in the top ten something to help them improve their starting positions (provided they can find some speed during practice).

02-07-2011, 12:10 AM
At least there's some worth to it now. I really dislike when the race is on Sunday with qualifying rained out on Friday. There's still time in the day on Saturday to get qualifying in. Pretty sure they've qualified on a Saturday along with Nationwide qualifying and race in the same day.