PDA

View Full Version : Celtics Want To Stick To Feb. 4 Return For Perkins - Edit: Returned tonight (1/25)

JordansBulls
01-25-2011, 09:55 AM
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/20110125shaq_to_return_out_west/

Kendrick Perkins [stats] is champing at the bit to make his debut after offseason ACL surgery. The C’s starting center has recovered rapidly and is hoping to return ahead of the Feb. 4 target date he set last week.

“I think we’re going to keep the timetable whatever it is,” Rivers said. “Honestly, he wants to play (tonight). He’s already approached me about that. The only consideration has been (trainer) Eddie (Lacerte) and Dr. (Brian) McKeon. I’m not going to listen to Perk, I can tell you that.”

Perkins participated fully in practice, working with the second unit.

“Perk went through live practice and he looked terrific,” Rivers said.

Johann
01-25-2011, 10:02 AM
I dont know about anyone else, but Im marking this on my calender

bigsams50
01-25-2011, 11:11 AM
And one of the deeper teams in the league gets deeper

69centers
01-25-2011, 11:14 AM
He'll be back before Jermaine O'Neal. Between Perk, Shaq, and JO's injuries, it's given a chance for the mr irrelevant-60th-pick-in-the-draft-two-years-ago Turkish center Semih Erden a chance to develop and he'll be getting his 6th start of the year tonight. He had an 11 rebound game last start.

Corey
01-25-2011, 11:19 AM
Thank God Perk is coming back. We definitely need him.

Weezy
01-25-2011, 11:21 AM
And the deadly.. get deadlier.

superkegger
01-25-2011, 11:24 AM
Yeah, there's no reason to rush him back. Obviously perk wants to get back as soon as possible, but you need him for the long haul, so waiting is absolutely the right call.

Flash3
01-25-2011, 11:29 AM
am i missing something ? i always thought perkins was sort of a scrub with good defense.

Mishmin
01-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Yes. Let's go perk.

Super.
01-25-2011, 11:37 AM
am i missing something ? i always thought perkins was sort of a scrub with good defense.

More like great defense. One of the best low post defenders in the league. A great rebounder.

Perkins is a key piece to the Celtics and not a scrub in anyway shape or form

Hustlenomics
01-25-2011, 11:38 AM
i hope he learned how to catch passes while he was out

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-25-2011, 11:43 AM

that would be joel anthony

KnicksorBust
01-25-2011, 11:54 AM

:laugh: Nice job.

More like great defense. One of the best low post defenders in the league. A great rebounder.

Perkins is a key piece to the Celtics and not a scrub in anyway shape or form

I agree. The Celtics are going to be legit if he's 100% by playoff team. I still have Lakers-Celtics penciled in barring any 2nd half injuries. I think the Heat need a year to gel and add another big and my gut says the Jazz will take out the Spurs this year.

Flash3
01-25-2011, 12:21 PM

no. joel is a scrub with bad/overrated defense who gets the occasional block.

D1JM
01-25-2011, 12:43 PM

Perkins, the scrub as you call him, can handle Howard by himself.

satui10
01-25-2011, 12:51 PM
man this is awesome...not to say Boston is horrible without him, but it makes you feel the pieces are coming together...I had only hoped that he would be back by this sunday to face of against the lakers and make the beating that more brutal....

Super.
01-25-2011, 01:00 PM
man this is awesome...not to say Boston is horrible without him, but it makes you feel the pieces are coming together...I had only hoped that he would be back by this sunday to face of against the lakers and make the beating that more brutal....

Wait the team that got blown out by the Heat, blowing out the team that beat the Heat twice?

beasted86
01-25-2011, 01:06 PM

No.

I don't know where anybody got any of these ideas, but over the last 4 years there is only 1 guy who could consistently handle Howard on his own, and that was Yao, and maybe 2 years ago Shaq.

Not Perkins, Gasol/Bynum, Duncan, Bogut, nor Noah.

Howard absolutely wrecked Perkins in 08-09 without Garnett. He put up 16 PPG / 17 RPG on 55%. That alone proves that it's not individual defense used to contain Howard in the post against the Celtics. He also did pretty good last playoffs, but was a bit more inconsistent game to game with both Perkins & Garnett.

Klivlend
01-25-2011, 01:12 PM
Celtics forum... Come on, JordanBulls, you have been a NBA forum mod long enough to know that...

I'm glad this thread is in the main forum. Otherwise, I would not have known Perk was coming back.

Raph12
01-25-2011, 01:19 PM
They can definitely use his defense down low, he's the 2nd best 1v1 defender in the post... One guess who #1 is lol.

satui10
01-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Wait the team that got blown out by the Heat, blowing out the team that beat the Heat twice? you misunderstood me...I think the Celtics will kick the Laker's ***, but it would be great if Perkins is there because they'll beat them that much easier...

D1JM
01-25-2011, 01:27 PM
No.

I don't know where anybody got any of these ideas, but over the last 4 years there is only 1 guy who could consistently handle Howard on his own, and that was Yao, and maybe 2 years ago Shaq.

Howard absolutely wrecked Perkins in 08-09 without Garnett. He put up 16 PPG / 17 RPG on 55%. That alone proves that it's not individual defense used to contain Howard in the post against the Celtics. He also did pretty good last playoffs, but was a bit more inconsistent game to game with both Perkins & Garnett.

Howard can beat anyone. However, by Perkins being able to handle Howard, you can eliminate everyone around him.

Super.
01-25-2011, 01:28 PM
No.

Perkins has consistently handled Howard by himself in almost every game they've played against each other.

beasted86
01-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Howard can beat anyone. However, by Perkins being able to handle Howard, you can eliminate everyone around him.

Perkins has consistently handled Howard by himself in almost every game they've played against each other.

Okay, maybe I'm misunderstanding what you guys mean by handle.

Do you mean let Howard get his, but not win the game by limiting the other guys around him? I thought by handle you mean slow him down. The only guys who consistently slow Howard down were Yao & Shaq. Handle mean not get in foul trouble and not let him go off for 30+?

Raph12
01-25-2011, 01:32 PM

Dwight gets his, 22-12 on 57% last year and 16-17 on 55% in 09 against Perk, the problem is that they let him go 1v1 against Perk/Shaq/JO/Baby and just lock down his teammates... But that'll be harder to do now that the offense is much improved; the real issue with us is on the defensive end.

D1JM
01-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Okay, maybe I'm misunderstanding what you guys mean by handle.

Do you mean let Howard get his, but not win the game by limiting the other guys around him? I thought by handle you mean slow him down. The only guys who consistently slow Howard down were Yao & Shaq. Handle mean not get in foul trouble and not let him go off for 30+?

Yup. Just like every other team come playoffs lets lebron go off, but they lock down everyone around him. Just dont know how it would work this time lol but that's what I meant. You let Howard get his, but don't let no one else get wide open shots.

Avenged
01-25-2011, 01:39 PM
Yup. Just like every other team come playoffs lets lebron go off, but they lock down everyone around him. Just dont know how it would work this time lol but that's what I meant. You let Howard get his, but don't let no one else get wide open shots.

That's not really handling Dwight then.. That's more of handling his teammates if anything.

D1JM
01-25-2011, 01:39 PM
Dwight gets his, 22-12 on 57% last year and 16-17 on 55% in 09 against Perk, the problem is that they let him go 1v1 against Perk/Shaq/JO/Baby and just lock down his teammates... But that'll be harder to do now that the offense is much improved; the real issue with us is on the defensive end.

I think that's why you guys kill us everytime. We try to help out too much on Howard that we always leave an open man. Hopefully thibs is not trying to show his cards come playoffs but you guys always shoot lights out against us.

redsox0717
01-25-2011, 01:44 PM
It's not hard to understand. Since Perk requires little to no help D to defend Howard, defenders can stay home on their three-point threats, which cripples Orlando's offensive structure. Additionally, there have been several notable playoff games where Perk has shut down Howard almost completely. His low post D is matched only by a few centers across the league.

D1JM
That's not really handling Dwight then.. That's more of handling his teammates if anything.

Dwight hits high percentage shots. He's always going to have a high fg% because practically all his shots are five feet away from the rim.

hgtiger32

yes. you are missing something

beasted86
01-25-2011, 01:56 PM
It's not hard to understand. Since Perk requires little to no help D to defend Howard, defenders can stay home on their three-point threats, which cripples Orlando's offensive structure. Additionally, there have been several notable playoff games where Perk has shut down Howard almost completely. His low post D is matched only by a few centers across the league.

What games were these? Here is the gamelogs: http://bkref.com/tiny/pygXt

Howard has only really had 3 bad games, in one he played 39 minutes and Perkins only played 22 and had 5 fouls. Another one 39 vs. 26 minutes, and again 5 fouls.

beasted86
01-25-2011, 01:58 PM
yes. you are missing something

Yeah, common sense.

I'd love Perkins on the Heat if somehow he doesn't want to re-sign with the Celtics next summer. But I'm just trying to get how people think he handles Howard 1 on 1. He just does as good of a job as anyone can do. But there's really nobody in the league who is handling Howard IMO. Just like Kobe, LeBron, Wade, etc..

Iron24th
01-25-2011, 02:01 PM
When anyone posts something about the Lakers,people keep saying Lakers forum,so,celts forum?

Super.
01-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Yeah, common sense.

I'd love Perkins on the Heat if somehow he doesn't want to re-sign with the Celtics next summer. But I'm just trying to get how people think he handles Howard 1 on 1. He just does as good of a job as anyone can do. But there's really nobody in the league who is handling Howard IMO. Just like Kobe, LeBron, Wade, etc..

Of course, but he seems to handle him better than most defenders do.

daisuke4cy
01-25-2011, 02:30 PM

I think the big thing yoiu are missing is that Perk plays 20 mins a game and dwight plays 30-38 mpg. The reason Dwight has those numbers is he dose it when perk leavs the game. The celtics wont double cover down low and they only have one geat 1 vs 1 post defender Perk.

iggypop123
01-25-2011, 05:23 PM
jermaine oneal can continue to steal the celtics money now

CityofTreez
01-25-2011, 05:28 PM
People have said that I look like a white-version of Kendrick Perkins!

Compliment or Insult?

I love Perks, and hopefully he stays healthy for the rest of the season!

magichatnumber9
01-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Perkins can play Howard with out too much help defense. This allows the Celtics to control Orlando's 3pt threat. Except when Rondo gets lack on Nelson who starts lighting it up at the end of games. Perkins only offensive vise is when he gets the ball in the post or paint he brings it down when he should just catch and raise like Gasol as an example.

DwayneMVPwade
01-25-2011, 05:54 PM
There in no rush

hugepatsfan
01-25-2011, 09:36 PM

You're missing the ability to look at something other than a stat sheet.

hugepatsfan
01-25-2011, 09:37 PM
jermaine oneal can continue to steal the celtics money now

After this season he's an expiring. Between him and Nate Robinson (> 10 mil in expirings), BOS might be able to get a good player. If rookie 1st round PG Avery Bradley is deemed ready to play the backup PG role next year, it could happen.

Bullsfan22
01-25-2011, 09:39 PM
a healthy big perk is a problem for the league.

superkegger
01-25-2011, 09:42 PM
so much for waiting till february 4th

thekmp211
01-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Yeah, common sense.

handle is the wrong word. he can play one on one defense against dwight without getting embarassed. that alone is huge, because it allows the celtics to play their defensive schemes without accounting for his presence down low too much.

perk is such an important player for this team, psyched to have him back.

footballer2369
01-25-2011, 10:56 PM
no. joel is a scrub with bad/overrated defense who gets the occasional block.

:facepalm: winner of ******** post of the day.

Also: JO, Shaq and Perk all do a nice job against Dwight. Call them the Magic killers.

Super.
01-25-2011, 11:07 PM
so much for waiting till february 4th

He's Baaaaaack!

KmB728
01-25-2011, 11:09 PM
:clap:

Nice return for Perk

ilovemyangel
01-26-2011, 03:31 AM

the scrubs are actually the big men on your team

mttwlsn16
01-26-2011, 03:43 AM
failed thread MOD plz close

mttwlsn16
01-26-2011, 03:45 AM

lmaoooooooo @ kendrick perkins handling dwight howard. I dont even care bout either team, far as im concerned F both of them, but yo for real MOD plz close this....
the comment i am responding to should be more than enough to close lol...wtf>??????

Caveman508
01-26-2011, 03:49 AM
Yeah, common sense.

Carmello can handle Le*****

plenty of people can be one on one...

LOL:facepalm:

shep33
01-26-2011, 04:06 AM
nice return for Perk. Glad to see him healthy.

Mudvayne91
01-26-2011, 04:12 AM
If you're going to spell Melo's name wrong, at least call him Carmela like Prokhorov

SteBO
01-26-2011, 09:25 AM
Carmello can handle Le*****

plenty of people can be one on one...

LOL:facepalm:

the scrubs are actually the big men on your team

These ******** posts are the reason this thread needs to be closed. :facepalm:

JordansBulls
01-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Didn't even realize that Perkins came back yesterday.

SteBO
01-26-2011, 10:00 AM
Didn't even realize that Perkins came back yesterday.
Can't wait to watch Boston @ L.A. Lakers, after Miami @ OKC Sunday afternoon.

JordansBulls
01-26-2011, 12:49 PM
Can't wait to watch Boston @ L.A. Lakers, after Miami @ OKC Sunday afternoon.

Are those games on ABC this week?

SteBO
01-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Are those games on ABC this week?
Yup. It's ABC premiere. They're going to start showing games on ABC often after this week.

m26555
01-26-2011, 05:18 PM
lmaoooooooo @ kendrick perkins handling dwight howard. I dont even care bout either team, far as im concerned F both of them, but yo for real MOD plz close this....
the comment i am responding to should be more than enough to close lol...wtf>??????
Are you serious? Even Dwight himself said that Perkins gives him more trouble than any other player in the NBA. Do you even WATCH THE GAMES to make that kind of a stupid judgment?

SteBO
01-26-2011, 05:25 PM
Are you serious? Even Dwight himself said that Perkins gives him more trouble than any other player in the NBA. Do you even WATCH THE GAMES to make that kind of a stupid judgment?
I'm surprised this thread hasn't been closed yet, with all the stupid posts. MODS be sleepin.