PDA

View Full Version : Fox Sports chairman calls for shorter NASCAR races

Nascar-NJDevils
01-25-2011, 08:47 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fox Sports chairman calls for shorter NASCAR races
By JENNA FRYER, AP Auto Racing Writer

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP)—Fox Sports chairman David Hill believes NASCAR races need to be shortened to fit into a three-hour broadcast window.

Hill said Monday night the length of races—many stretch well into a fourth hour—is one of the problems that’s contributed to NASCAR’s sinking television ratings.

“I think the racing is far too long,” Hill said during Charlotte Motor Speedway’s annual media tour. “There is more diversion, more opportunities for stuff than any other time in man’s history.”

Hill said the ideal for Fox would be a four-hour broadcast window, with 40 minutes of pre-race coverage and 20 minutes of post-race coverage. Asked if he’d push NASCAR to shorten any of its races, Hill didn’t miss a beat.

“NASCAR doesn’t negotiate,” he deadpanned.

The 38-race schedule is divided by three networks, and Fox holds the rights to the first 13 events of the season. The network’s deal with NASCAR, a partnership that began in 2001, runs through 2014, and Hill said it’s too soon to speculate on if the relationship will continue past the current deal.

Personally, Hill said, he’d like to continue airing NASCAR on Fox. But because it’s a business decision, the next few seasons will determine how aggressively Fox pursues a new contract.

Hill strongly defended the efforts of NASCAR chairman Brian France to stop the slide in both attendance and ratings.

“I really think they are trying,” he said. “I like them all, they are fantastic. They do know they have problems, and they are trying very hard to fix them. It’s tough.”

Hill said Fox is content with the consistent start times NASCAR instituted last season to simplify the television schedule for viewers. But NASCAR president Mike Helton said during testing last week that the start times needed to be reconsidered because the season is so long.

Any consideration to shifting start times is probably to benefit ESPN, which broadcasts the second half of the season and struggled to hold viewers as the early NFL games came to a close. Hill said Fox wants all its races to air at 1 p.m., and wondered if there wasn’t a simple solution for ESPN’s woes.

“Why wouldn’t you run races on Saturday nights and not against football?” Hill asked.

Also, Hill said Fox would place a heavy emphasis on drivers this season and move away from heavy coverage of the mechanics of racing. He wants NASCAR to place a greater emphasis on winning when it announces its new points structure Wednesday night.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=ap-nascar-fox&print=1

Driven
01-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Ratings would increase. But advertising would decrease. Won't happen.

All about the benjamins.

warrior63
01-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Ratings would increase. But advertising would decrease. Won't happen.

All about the benjamins.

Not only that, but it's hard to put a time limit on races what with cautions, red flags, and other things that stretch them out.
I'd love to see shorter races. I think that it would make them a little more exciting. But I really don't see this happening.

Bucsfan
01-25-2011, 10:11 PM
Not only that, but it's hard to put a time limit on races what with cautions, red flags, and other things that stretch them out.
I'd love to see shorter races. I think that it would make them a little more exciting. But I really don't see this happening.

agreed

MarkieMark48
01-25-2011, 11:20 PM
some races could be shortened, but i would be against shortening all of them

Nascar-NJDevils
01-26-2011, 07:35 AM
some races could be shortened, but i would be against shortening all of them

Start with the Coca-Cola 600. Way too long.

Driven
01-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Off topic, but I don't really understand the idea of having so many night races on Saturdays. I understand that people plan their whole weekend/vacation/trip around a race, but Saturday night is the worst time possible to put on a race - Friday and Saturdays are the two worst ratings nights of the week.

It might hurt attendances, but will help make money overall - do most of the night races on Sunday or Thursday night.

I doubt the TV companies would want that, though. I'm sure they'd rather have night races on Saturday, as it's their weakest night and they can get an advantage over competition.

But for NASCAR, do some odd night races on the cable channels, like TNT and ESPN.

MarkieMark48
01-26-2011, 11:14 AM
Start with the Coca-Cola 600. Way too long.

Thatd be like shortening the 24 hours of daytona, or the baja 1000..... Def not in favor of that one. Theres like 2 or 3 id shorten, but if it means shortening them all, id leave them alone

MarkieMark48
01-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Off topic, but I don't really understand the idea of having so many night races on Saturdays. I understand that people plan their whole weekend/vacation/trip around a race, but Saturday night is the worst time possible to put on a race - Friday and Saturdays are the two worst ratings nights of the week.

It might hurt attendances, but will help make money overall - do most of the night races on Sunday or Thursday night.

I doubt the TV companies would want that, though. I'm sure they'd rather have night races on Saturday, as it's their weakest night and they can get an advantage over competition.

But for NASCAR, do some odd night races on the cable channels, like TNT and ESPN.

attendence would plummet

DeeMan
01-26-2011, 11:39 AM
Thatd be like shortening the 24 hours of daytona, or the baja 1000..... Def not in favor of that one. Theres like 2 or 3 id shorten, but if it means shortening them all, id leave them alone

True dat.

Driven
01-26-2011, 07:06 PM
attendence would plummet
But overall viewership and advertising would increase.

I'd take that any day. You have to expand your fan base.

Sports teams make their money off the TV contracts and advertising. Not much with attendances.

But again, NBC and FOX would not go for it.

MarkieMark48
01-26-2011, 11:27 PM
But overall viewership and advertising would increase.

I'd take that any day. You have to expand your fan base.

Sports teams make their money off the TV contracts and advertising. Not much with attendances.

But again, NBC and FOX would not go for it.

As a race fan that attends plenty of races, Sunday nights would be absolutely horrible to go to. The easiest way to expand the fan base is to get people to attend the race. I can see how sitting at home watching cars go around in circles on TV could be boring. Now if you get that person to the track, experience the atmosphere, and be there first hand to watch it, that would be great, except if that person has to get back home past 3am monday morning and has to be at work by 8am

SMI and ISC wouldnt agree to that and ISC is basically owned by the France's. SMI makes the majority of their money on attendance and if they stop making enough money to pay NASCAR to come race at their tracks, itll be a bad day

Driven
01-27-2011, 12:41 PM
There are definitely monetary hurdles that would have to be overcome.

Going to races on odd days would be horrible for attendances and whatnot, like you said. But it is easier to make money through TV, and there is a much higher potential for income that way.

You are only going to marginally improve your fanbase through attendances. You're talking about thousands of people in the stands, and millions at home.

Ratings need to be NASCAR's #1 concern, and it is.

You don't expand your fanbase by targeting small locations. You need to do it nationwide. There is a reason nobody in the north cares about NASCAR. And it's not like NASCAR doesn't travel north. There is a reason why other forms of racing are so much popular worldwide than NASCAR.

Attendances are going to irratic. There is not much you can do about that. For NASCAR to get the ratings they do is just unacceptable. It's going to kill them in the longrun. There is no reason why the sport should get such low ratings when it's on once a week and has all of its star power in every race.

Again, FOX and NBC aren't going to allow it, but going up against the NFL and having irrelelvant Saturday night races that no one watches just kills NASCAR.

If they have to chance the way people attend NASCAR races, then do it. There is no end in sight for NASCAR's decline. Do what's best for TV.

MarkieMark48
01-27-2011, 02:53 PM
There are definitely monetary hurdles that would have to be overcome.

Going to races on odd days would be horrible for attendances and whatnot, like you said. But it is easier to make money through TV, and there is a much higher potential for income that way.

You are only going to marginally improve your fanbase through attendances. You're talking about thousands of people in the stands, and millions at home.

Ratings need to be NASCAR's #1 concern, and it is.

You don't expand your fanbase by targeting small locations. You need to do it nationwide. There is a reason nobody in the north cares about NASCAR. And it's not like NASCAR doesn't travel north. There is a reason why other forms of racing are so much popular worldwide than NASCAR.

Attendances are going to irratic. There is not much you can do about that. For NASCAR to get the ratings they do is just unacceptable. It's going to kill them in the longrun. There is no reason why the sport should get such low ratings when it's on once a week and has all of its star power in every race.

Again, FOX and NBC aren't going to allow it, but going up against the NFL and having irrelelvant Saturday night races that no one watches just kills NASCAR.

If they have to chance the way people attend NASCAR races, then do it. There is no end in sight for NASCAR's decline. Do what's best for TV.

If people think its boring to watch cars go around in circles for 4 hours they arnt gonna watch it, no matter if its on a Sunday afternoon, Saturday night, Thursday evening or a Tuesday morning at 8.

I feel what your saying, I really do. But I would be more interested in finding out why a person tuned in 2009 and elected not to tune in in 2010. I highly doubt "what day it was on" or "what time of day"(ect) the race was on would be the majority of the answers. NASCAR should be more concerned about why they are losing the fans they had, as opposed to appealing to people that dont like the sport to begin with. Some people say its the chase, and I would like to know how many people really just say that instead of "I hate Jimmie Johnson" because noone was complaining about the chase when it was generating great points battles like the first few and this past one. Some people do admit to hating Jimmie and wont watch until hes gone or whatever, so be it. This is the first time where NASCARs most popular driver is mediocre at best, and I really do think that has something to do with it as well.