PDA

View Full Version : What happens with all these expiring contracts?

mrblisterdundee
01-25-2011, 12:00 AM
There are plenty of injured veterans with expiring deals right now. Michael Redd (not playing) makes more than $18 million; Yao Ming (not playing) makes more than $17 million; Kenyon Martin (just started playing) makes more than $16.5 million; and Eddy Curry (not playing) makes more than $11 million.
I don't include Zach Randolph, because a power forward that good will have no trouble getting signed by someone, regardless of personal problems. There's also Andre Kirilenko at almost $18 million, along with countless other smaller expiring contracts of at least $7 million.
I don't know what's going to happen with all these expiring contracts, considering there aren't many stars available right now. Maybe the teams possessing these contracts will weather the storm until the contracts are gone; maybe that's all they can do, unless a team with a big star(s) wants to trade for an expiring contract (Dallas, New Orleans, Orlando, etc.). What do you think will happen? Will teams just let these people exit the league or switch teams without trades?

TopsyTurvy
01-25-2011, 12:12 AM
CBA negotiations will come first unless some teams are willing to gamble. Then nearly all of the expiring players will see less money from free agency signings.

superkegger
01-25-2011, 12:27 AM
My guess is all those expiring contracts will...wait for it...expire. Never saw that one coming.

dodie53
01-25-2011, 12:48 AM
expire.

DerekRE_3
01-25-2011, 01:22 AM
My guess is all those expiring contracts will...wait for it...expire. Never saw that one coming.

You boring *****.

Hellcrooner
01-25-2011, 01:47 AM
i think kirilenko talked something bout coming back to rusia to play for cska when his contract was over.....

or he could go to the Moscow Nets.

mrblisterdundee
01-25-2011, 02:09 AM

So you don't think there will be any trades of expiring contracts to other teams wanting cap relief in exchange for talent?

superkegger
01-25-2011, 11:05 AM
So you don't think there will be any trades of expiring contracts to other teams wanting cap relief in exchange for talent?

I'm sure the teams that have those contracts would like to do that. But as far as Redd, Kmart and Kirilenko, doubtful. Just too big to move. Plus, there aren't any teams really in cost cutting mode, that are going to give up talent for cap space, because at this point, we don't know what that cap space will give you, since there isn't anywhere near the FA class this year, nor do we know what the cap will even be. So those teams with huge expirings will probably just shed the contract, because those guys simply aren't going to fetch much on the trade market.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-25-2011, 11:24 AM
i think kirilenko talked something bout coming back to rusia to play for cska when his contract was over.....

or he could go to the Moscow Nets.

lmfao

PrettyBoyJ
01-25-2011, 11:25 AM
I forgot about Michael Redd, is he scheduled to come back this season?

BuffsFan
01-25-2011, 11:38 AM
I could see the bobcats stepping in on one of those. It sounds like they want to cut cap space if they were considering trading Wallace to the Cavs and throwing in a first rounder. I am sure there will be some teams come trade deadline time that will evaluate their team and realize they aren't going to make the playoffs and just cut ties with some guys. Rip could get moved for an expiring.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-25-2011, 11:47 AM
I forgot about Michael Redd, is he scheduled to come back this season?

he could be, but bucks doesn't want him on court I think

And they let him expire

commonsense12
01-25-2011, 06:42 PM
It is actually a really weird year in terms of expirings. Off the top of my head i can only think of a few players (who make over 10 mill) that teams would just give up for an expiring. Rashard Lewis and Brand are 2 off the top of my head mayeb Okafur i dunno.

thunderforce
01-26-2011, 08:43 AM
Toronto just basically bought out 16 million in peja , I think if there were anyone that wanted a big expiring BC would have made a trade if it was worthwhile to do so .