PDA

View Full Version : The Logo Jerry West: Lakers Too Old To Play D, Lakers Don't Wanna See Boston

ko8e24
01-23-2011, 06:17 PM
http://lakers.ocregister.com/2011/01/21/west-lakers-too-old-to-play-defense-well/47296/

Count Jerry West among those who are tired of hearing about the Lakers’ porous defense.

The Lakers legend told a group of automobile dealers in Irvine the reason the team can’t seem to hang onto leads because they are “getting long in the tooth.”

“If there’s a loose ball now, how often do they get it?” West said.

The Lakers have 10 players 30 years old or older — Theo Ratliff (37), Derek Fisher (36), Joe Smith (35), Kobe Bryant (32), Ron Artest (31, Lamar Odom (31), Matt Barnes (30), Steve Blake (30), Pau Gasol (30) and Luke Walton (30).

He added that “the reason you ‘can’t play defense’ is because you can’t!”

West said Thursday that he doesn’t expect the current lineup to be “good for much longer. … You can keep a car running for a long time by changing the tires, etc. You can’t change a player’s tires.”

Does West think the Lakers will pick up their third consecutive NBA title this season?

“I think Boston is a very dangerous team,” he said. “I would not want to play them every other night.”

LTBaByyy
01-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Dang Jerry!!! lol

Especially the Boston comment, thats your rival

BKdoubleStacker
01-23-2011, 06:31 PM
...and most of them, or the only ones that matter, are 32 or younger

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-23-2011, 06:37 PM
What???

Spurs and Boston aren't old??
I think its nothing to worry about, Lakers will bring their Defensive A game in Play-Offs.

smith&wesson
01-23-2011, 06:41 PM
bostons old, and they play great D. no excuses.

and for the record im an LA fan not a boston fan. boston gets theyre respect though.

steveshane67
01-23-2011, 06:51 PM
speaking of laker D, i was watching the 1st half of their game vs okc and why in the world did they have kobe guarding westbrook? kobe would have made a matador jealous the way he was just getting out of the way of westbrook driving the lane.

steveshane67
01-23-2011, 06:53 PM
bostons old, and they play great D. no excuses.

and for the record im an LA fan not a boston fan. boston gets theyre respect though.

maybe the celtics players havent 'lost a step' yet or as much as the lakers players.

just to be fair, the lakers are 9th in the league in def eff

210Don
01-23-2011, 06:59 PM
same case with the spurs a couple years ago we were "old" where old really matters is the supporting cast. thats where you show your age and they do look a little old.

smith&wesson
01-23-2011, 07:05 PM
maybe the celtics players havent 'lost a step' yet or as much as the lakers players.

just to be fair, the lakers are 9th in the league in def eff

allen, pierce, kg all have lost a step. none of those players are what they use to be when in theyre prime, but as a team they are still the best defensive team.

im a LAKERS guy dont get me wrong, i just think phil is too lax, he has veteran players but he should get on them for effort. they seem very nonchalaunt.

Super.
01-23-2011, 07:06 PM
As a Celtics fan...this is awesome

Y2JOrdan
01-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Celtics play great defense, but the lakers do have tedency to coast during the regular season, and then bring their A game into the playoffs

Bruno
01-23-2011, 07:15 PM
Luckily for the Lakers, Boston is older.

West knows a lot about not wanting to see the Celtics...

Hustlenomics
01-23-2011, 07:16 PM
i wouldn't want to face an angry celtic team come playoffs either

Iron24th
01-23-2011, 07:18 PM
What???

I think its nothing to worry about, Lakers will bring their Defensive A game in Play-Offs.

Lakers,Spurs and celts are all olds and have all the best chance to bring the trophy.

J.West :facepalm:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-23-2011, 07:30 PM
I could be wrong but Jerry West has said some stupid **** about the Lakers before too.

Think it was something last year but I can't remember.

KmB728
01-23-2011, 07:32 PM
This.....is......AWESOME!

championships
01-23-2011, 07:41 PM
West is just saying this to light a fire under Kobe and the Lakers *****. Of course he woould use Boston to do that.

shep33
01-23-2011, 07:45 PM
This just looks as if he's motivating the Lakers... but haha Lakers are lazy until playoffs, 3 straight finals is tough, if you add those last 3 playoff runs together its almost like playing another year. They should coast and just be healthy going into the playoffs...

That being said its not like they suck or anything this year haha. I mean what they have like the 3rd best record in the league?

championships
01-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Sounds like some have missed the message in his statement.

dodie53
01-23-2011, 11:45 PM
OT:

why did the NBA patterned their logo from JW?

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-24-2011, 01:01 AM
I love it. Jerry did this two year ago and said Kobe was past his prime and was no longer a top rate player. He would go on to later admit he was hoping to light a fire under Kobe.

Jewelz0376
01-24-2011, 01:14 AM
Anyone who watches Lakers games can see when they're D is bad its not because they're trying to and can't...Its mostly because they don't give the effort...Lakers play lazy D at times...

Raph12
01-24-2011, 03:32 AM
Nobody wants to see Boston in the postseason, but I think LA can take em at full health.

John Walls Era
01-24-2011, 03:48 AM
Jerry West also said he rather have Lebron (in the past) ... believe me, he wants to fire them up. West is a smart man, he knows that Kobe loves challenges.

stawka
01-24-2011, 03:49 AM
"The Zen Master is at it again. Oh wait"

LOL

CountSackula
01-24-2011, 04:07 AM
I don't think West was actually serious when he said it. I think he's just trying to light a fire under the lethargic Lakers butts.

jasonbird
01-24-2011, 04:56 AM
there are many teams are old ;)
Celtic,LA,Spurs,Suns...

There are also yonger teams,thunder/kings/portland...

But i prefer to the old teams,because they are excellent.

:)

5ass
01-24-2011, 05:14 AM
there are many teams are old ;)
Celtic,LA,Spurs,Suns...

There are also yonger teams,thunder/kings/portland...

But i prefer to the old teams,because they are excellent.

:)

cool story

JayW_1023
01-24-2011, 07:44 AM
After last seasons odds, I pretty much learned it's stupid to bet against Kobe Bryant no matter how low the odds seemed to be.

The Lakers limped into the playoffs last year and Kobe still willed them to a 'ship. Even if they are struggling...they are still the same wretched Lakers the NBA adores.

They are the favorites even if they barely get an 8th seed. They are still the defending champs.

CityofChaos
01-24-2011, 07:50 AM
I want the Celtics to beat the Lakers in the finals and see Shaq get in Kobes face and say "tell me how my *** tastes."

JayW_1023
01-24-2011, 07:53 AM
I want the Celtics to beat the Lakers in the finals and see Shaq get in Kobes face and say "tell me how my *** tastes."

The Celtics will be lucky if Shaq even finishes the season in one piece. A healthy Perk in a game 7 is prolly something they need far more.

JayW_1023
01-24-2011, 07:54 AM
"Sugar Ray With The Sweet Three!"

...sorry just had to say that for no particular reason whatsoever.

/loco

ldawg
01-24-2011, 07:55 AM
Like i said, all 5 starters can't be so slow both Artest and fisher should not be starting next year. its time to hide Kobes decline ability. Lakers get no easy points nore hustle plays. They play like last year Spurs. As much as many like Bynum they can't lean on him he is part of that slow group.

kobebabe
01-24-2011, 02:09 PM
I thought the case last year was that Boston was way too old to go too far. have they gotten any younger? not the last time i checked. So he should not be saying they are scary. If they were losing he woulda be saying they too old too. Turst me!

TheWatcher34
01-24-2011, 02:55 PM
Derrick Rose > Jerry West

that's all.

hard_candy
01-24-2011, 04:40 PM
The Celtics give you effort and heart, the Lakers, not so much. Thank you.

J4KOP99
01-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Every single year around this time people start freaking out about the Lakers. Either their team chemistry isn't high, their coach isn't good enough and has been lucky, they are too old, Kobe is overrated, (Insert young team) will beat them on the simple fact that they are younger...

People wrote the Celtics off last year for literally the same exact reasons... The Lakers defense is fine. Their just as old as some of these other "top" teams and they have proven time and time again that come playoff time, they are close to impossible to beat.

I understand the panicking and all that from all sides but I wouldn't bet against them.

Kingz4L
01-24-2011, 04:55 PM
To be honest with you...Jerry West is and always will be a laker by heart..he gave them gasol becaue he knew memphis wouldnt keep him...last year he said Lebron was better to motivate Kobe, now he is trying to give the whole team an inspiration to play better defense and win more against quality teams...makes sense to me..

evadatam5150
01-24-2011, 08:38 PM
http://lakers.ocregister.com/2011/01/21/west-lakers-too-old-to-play-defense-well/47296/

He's right though.. As a Lakers fan I can tell you it's been tough to watch this version of the Lakers because unlike years past you just get the feeling that there's no Switch to turn on.. You can see it when they're getting smoked down the floor or when they can't keep faster more athletic players in front of them.. It's never a good sign to see your center climbing the back of a 6'2" guard who just motored past your entire team on the way to the hoop..

Let's face it, the Lakers can still content but really how much gas is left in that tank...??

evadatam5150
01-24-2011, 08:46 PM

Huh...??? Wouldn't they have the same amount of Championships..?? If so then what would be the point.. He would have to win two more in order to claim the eat my *** bragging rights trophy.. I think..

The Final Boss
01-24-2011, 09:08 PM
He's trying to light a fire under HIS squad. He's done it before.

JordansBulls
01-24-2011, 09:10 PM
What???

He said they are too old to play "D". Celtics and Spurs still play "D".

Mishmin
01-25-2011, 12:31 AM
That's gold Jerry! Gold!

JayW_1023
01-25-2011, 04:53 AM
That's gold Jerry! Gold!

It's Ovaltine dammit!

JasonJohnHorn
01-25-2011, 10:13 AM
I LOVE JERRY WEST!!!!!!

That said, is this guy smoking crack? Too old? Bryant is 32, and is playing the best basketball of his career! 2011 Kobe vs and other Kobe of any year would win one-on-one. Odom, Gasol and Artest are all a the prime of their respective careers (Artest is finally grounded and understands himself and can focus on basketball and the others, well all you have to do is watch them to see they are at the elite of the game). And roll players like Barnes and Brown an Blake are far from what I would call old.

As for Smith and Ratliff... they are bench guys with experience any title contenders would want. They aren't playing huge minutes, they are just there for veteran experience when the guys in the rotation are in fould trouble or need a rest at the end of a quarter.

Jordan was 34, Pippen 32, and Rodman 36! when the Bulls won their 6th title. And Ron Harper, who started that season, was 34! I mean what is this $#!T West is talking about?

And when Russell won his last title in 1969, he was the starting center on the team at the age of 34! And Jerry West himself was 33 when he won his only title as a player! His front court was even older. Elgin Baylor was 37 and Wilt Chamberlain was 35, and average 19+ rebounds a game at that age, an average that has yet to be surpassed since.

This $#!T about age is rediculous! The Lakers core are in their prime, and the only position they are aged at is starting point guard, and Fish is still a solid fundamental player who can knock down and open three and handles pressure well. And Bynum is only 23! Though his knees may be the oldest on the team.

I dunno why West is hating on his Lakers, but it does not seem like a legit argument, and I would just about agree with anything West said without even hearing it!

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-25-2011, 10:35 AM
He said they are too old to play "D". Celtics and Spurs still play "D".

What are you trying to say:confused:

MiKE-THE-FUTURE
01-25-2011, 10:46 AM
Lakers - Celtics - Spurs - Mavs are old

Hangtime
01-25-2011, 01:06 PM
J.West just tryin to light a fire under them. He has seen this soap opera before. They will get it together for the playoffs.

showtym24
01-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Third ranked defense. He's clearly trying to light a fire under them like he did a couple years ago with kobe.

bcc
01-25-2011, 02:52 PM
The Celtics finished last season 27 and 27 in their last 54 games. Worse yet, they dropped 9 of their final 13 heading into the Playoffs. But when the postseason lights turned on, so did the Celtics. In the end, they were just a healthy Kendrick Perkins away from winning the entire thing.
The Lakers can do the same this season. Veteran teams like those two (and maybe S.A.) can be trusted to turn it on and off, depending on what's at stake.

Risky wat to approach things, though. "On and Off" is hardly an automatic and certainly can't (and shouldn't be) counted on.
It'd be better if the Lakers regular season play improved but at least they're battle-tested veterans and they "get it."
When the playoffs start, they'll still be the team to beat in the West, regardless of where they are seeded.

AIRMAR72
01-25-2011, 08:32 PM
J.West just tryin to light a fire under them. He has seen this soap opera before. They will get it together for the playoffs.this NBA mang not HS we talking about grown proffesional men and woman in sports they dont NEED outside motivation its already in them jerry is concern thats all boston might be old but ray garnet and paul still doing the samething since they been the league plus we talking 5 future hall of famers( to much pride to lose with that line.up) on the same team and with coach rivers(just hearing him talk to his guys i can see why boston always give maxium effort) i really dont THINK da lakers could beat OKC if durant start playing with some sense westbrook was dogging kobe couple nites ago blowing by him with thrust allnite long leaving kobe standing still

Hangtime
01-25-2011, 11:09 PM
this NBA mang not HS we talking about grown proffesional men and woman in sports they dont NEED outside motivation its already in them jerry is concern thats all boston might be old but ray garnet and paul still doing the samething since they been the league plus we talking 5 future hall of famers( to much pride to lose with that line.up) on the same team and with coach rivers(just hearing him talk to his guys i can see why boston always give maxium effort) i really dont THINK da lakers could beat OKC if durant start playing with some sense westbrook was dogging kobe couple nites ago blowing by him with thrust allnite long leaving kobe standing still

Doesn't matter if it's little league or a senior citizen league. If the man wants to use certain tactics like this to motivate a group of professional ball players then by all means nothing wrong with that. They have a lot of respect for J.West and what he's done for this organization. He knows they can play better than what they have shown and they will need to come playoff time should they rematch with Boston in the finals. Personally I'm not worried about it because they will step it up in April.

CLASSOF72
01-25-2011, 11:27 PM
I think the Lakers are to old to play D every night, but I would love nothing more than to get another chance to romp the c's. It would be a tie breaker for the ages. To hell with Miami and the Spurs this time belongs to the legends of spring LA and Boston.

kblo247
01-26-2011, 05:12 PM
West says his 'old' comments not directed at Lakers

By the reaction his "old" comments have generated over the past few, Jerry West said he feels like he burned the bible.

West, speaking at a luncheon for the Orange County Automobile Dealers Association, was quoted as saying the Lakers are "long in the tooth" and insinuated they are bad at defending because 10 of the 14 players on the roster are 30 years old or older.

His comments have worked their way into the Lakers locker room, Phil Jackson's media sessions, Internet chat rooms, media blogs and headlines across America, causing a stir that continues to pull West into the headlines.

"It's actually funny," West said Wednesday morning on the Dan Patrick radio show. "A gentleman in the audience asked me why the (Lakers) don't defend and I said that comes down to the age of players on the team. I wasn't talking about the team (Lakers) at all.

"I'm shocked that someone wouldn't think the Lakers can defend. I fully expect them to be back with a championship this season, with all due deference to San Antonio and the incredible job Greg Popovich and the organization has done down there."

West said the Lakers are "too big and too strong" for most teams in the NBA, a point driven home in Tuesday's 120-91 rout of Utah. He added the Lakers are difficult to score against when they set up defensively.

But they are getting up there in years.

"No question," West told Patrick. "But look at the Boston Celtics. They're older than the Lakers and everyone says they are one of the best defensive teams in the league.

"…. To me, they have to be the team that is the favorite. But they are getting older and the one opponent you don't defeat in this league is age. And Boston will face that too."

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/lakers-285706-west-comments.html

Jerry clarified what he actually said on the Patrick show. He said they go through periods where they don't defend but can when they choose to.

Switch mentality basically