PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Durant Game Winner over Danilo Gallinari - How was the Defense?

KnicksorBust
01-23-2011, 12:48 PM
On this one play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI0tzivTk_k

Considering the circumstances and the players involved, how would you rate Danilo Gallinari's defense on Durant on a scale from 1-10?

kjoke
01-23-2011, 12:51 PM
it was ok, not great obviously he made the shot

MiamiWadeCounty
01-23-2011, 12:52 PM
I gave the defense a 6. I thought he played fairly well on it. He shouldn't have backed up as much thinking KD would drive, but I mean he got a hand up and contested the shot, durant just made a great shot.

Hawkeye15
01-23-2011, 12:52 PM
it was fair defense. You can't body Durant in those situations, he gets that call everytime. You can't risk jumping on that attempt, Durant will upfake you and draw. The Knicks basically did what they could, but they should have sent help immediately as Durant cleared that screen up top. Gallo's defense wasn't all that bad. The Knicks team defense was. Send a man at Durant hard. Not enough time for him to make a pass and that player get a good look.

tredigs
01-23-2011, 12:55 PM
KD barely tried to shake him, so any high school baller would've been in the exact same position at the end of the play. But it was fine.

That said, at the end of the day his defense would be rated not good enough. The game-winning shot fell in his face, that's all that matters.

Point of this thread =?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-23-2011, 12:56 PM
I think it was good defense, gallo made him took a fading three, so I give it a 7.

KnicksR4Real
01-23-2011, 01:01 PM
7-8

Avenged
01-23-2011, 01:02 PM
He made the shot, that's all that really matters.

5ass
01-23-2011, 01:03 PM
that was good D, i gave it a 7, but to be honest if that wasnt kevin durant (or kobe) the shot probably wouldnt have gone in

nycsports2
01-23-2011, 01:06 PM
i put a 9 it was a fading 3 what do you want lol

97NYer
01-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Not much Gallo could have done there he prevented the drive and forced KD to take an extremely difficult shot, only problem is KD is incredible.

faze38
01-23-2011, 01:14 PM
It was good D I mean it was a fall away three with a man in his face. What else do u want Gallo to do? I mean there is only so much u can do against great players like KD I mean Gallo played him so tough all night that KD seemed to make up his mind that he has going to take a fade away three from the get. He didn't even try to get a closer shot he just tried to get hm to back up a step and used his length to get off a good shot. Which is weird to say because Gallo is big himself but KD might just be a little longer the Gallo.

Bravo95
01-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Tough shot so nobody can be too harsh. They should've sent another defender though, I mean it was kevin durant with the game on the line. Gallo gets an 8...

KnicksorBust
01-23-2011, 01:20 PM
KD barely tried to shake him, so any high school baller would've been in the exact same position at the end of the play. But it was fine.

That said, at the end of the day his defense would be rated not good enough. The game-winning shot fell in his face, that's all that matters.

Point of this thread =?

That's a ridiculous exaggeration and it wouldn't surprise me if Durant took such a long range shot was because the last time he had driven to the basket on Gallinari, Gallo drew the charge. Also what a disturbingly results-oriented post. "Shot In - Defense Not Good." Shane Battier would be out of the NBA by now if he thought that way.

NYsFinest
01-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Nothing he could have done, can't play Durant too close with 5 seconds left in the game he gets those calls where he clips your hands after a head fake.

yojoe792
01-23-2011, 01:24 PM
5 because Gallo didn't even contest the shot. He really just put his hand in KD's face. Gotta do a little more than that with such a great player.

footballer2369
01-23-2011, 01:28 PM
It was actually really bad defense. Not only did he not affect the shot, he didn't get his hand in his face, change KD's direction, force him anywhere or anything...

He played a couple feet off of him and then didn't get there in time to do anything to decrease KD's chances of hitting the shot.

It's not the worst defense, I've ever seen, but it's bad defense.

tredigs
01-23-2011, 01:33 PM
That's a ridiculous exaggeration and it wouldn't surprise me if Durant took such a long range shot was because the last time he had driven to the basket on Gallinari, Gallo drew the charge. Also what a disturbingly results-oriented post. "Shot In - Defense Not Good." Shane Battier would be out of the NBA by now if he thought that way.

HA - you think Battier would be content with himself if the game winner got drilled in his face? I'd bet otherwise.

And KD did a slow studder dribble and didn't penetrate an inch, not sure if you've ever played ball man, but that's not exactly tough to stay in front of. If it was Battier level D he would've elevated vertically with Durant (being that there was no time left, he didn't have to worry about the pump-fake) or gotten the hand closer into KD's face. I'd give the defense a C. Average.

goose15
01-23-2011, 01:38 PM
it was good D.. KD was fading away almost out of bounds.

Durant is a killer

Kidd>>>K-Mart
01-23-2011, 01:41 PM
It had to be good defence to make Durant fade.

Knickrocketsfan
01-23-2011, 01:42 PM
1st why is this in the NBA forum? Second why do we care about the defense, lets just put this game behind us and focus on the next one

KnicksorBust
01-23-2011, 01:45 PM
HA - you think Battier would be content with himself if the game winner got drilled in his face? I'd bet otherwise.

And KD did a slow studder dribble and didn't penetrate an inch, not sure if you've ever played ball man, but that's not exactly tough to stay in front of. If it was Battier level D he would've elevated vertically with Durant (being that there was no time left, he didn't have to worry about the pump-fake) or gotten the hand closer into KD's face. I'd give the defense a C. Average.

If Battier played proper defense and forced the offensive player into a low percentage shot then yes he'd be content with it. Battier is a student of the game who learns each player's tendencies and percentages and uses them to his advantage. I can guarantee a Kevin Durant fade away 3pt attempt is a much lower percentage shot than a Kevin Durant drive to the basket.

Then you comment how you're not sure if I've ever played ball. :rolleyes: Yes I did and now I'm a High School Basketball coach. Does that validate my opinion to you? Gallinari has a nice wide defensive stance with his right leg out in front that is forcing Durant to dribble along the sideline rather than penetrate the middle. Last time Durant tried to go left and penetrate one on one toward the middle of the court, Gallo drew the charge. Instead he's forced right to fade out of bounds (pause at 6 seconds and see where he lands) and take a 3. It's not perfect defense because Gallo's hand *could have* been more in his face but I give it a solid 8.

Baller1
01-23-2011, 01:45 PM
It was adequate. Not much he could've done, but it wasn't bad defense.

tredigs
01-23-2011, 01:57 PM
If Battier played proper defense and forced the offensive player into a low percentage shot then yes he'd be content with it. Battier is a student of the game who learns each player's tendencies and percentages and uses them to his advantage. I can guarantee a Kevin Durant fade away 3pt attempt is a much lower percentage shot than a Kevin Durant drive to the basket.

Then you comment how you're not sure if I've ever played ball. :rolleyes: Yes I did and now I'm a High School Basketball coach. Does that validate my opinion to you? Gallinari has a nice wide defensive stance with his right leg out in front that is forcing Durant to dribble along the sideline rather than penetrate the middle. Last time Durant tried to go left and penetrate one on one toward the middle of the court, Gallo drew the charge. Instead he's forced right to fade out of bounds (pause at 6 seconds and see where he lands) and take a 3. It's not perfect defense because Gallo's hand *could have* been more in his face but I give it a solid 8.

Listen man, you're a Knicks fan and apparently made this thread to validate your opinion that you think he played solid D - it's clear you aren't interested in hearing anything to the contrary. Fact of the matter is that while he did force Durant into a seemingly tough shot, KD was able to get full vision of the basket because Gallo wasn't quick enough (too much on his heels) to be more obstructive. Like I mentioned, a stronger defender would've elevated along with Durant or gotten the hand in his face (pause it at 23 seconds, it's not within 1 foot).

edit: Gallo's defense has greatly improved this season. Happy? : ]

Cubs Win
01-23-2011, 02:02 PM
I'll give Gallo a 6. Good defense, but could have been better and KD did hit the shot. D'Antoni, however, gets a 1 for not sending another defender at Durant in that situation.

John Walls Era
01-23-2011, 02:14 PM
I say it was + average. He put a hand up but was no where near the face. But he did force a fade with good positioning so I say about a 7.5-8.

bal_ravens
01-23-2011, 02:15 PM
Probably a five. He should have known the time on the clock. Obviously Durant wasnt going to drive with roughly 1.5ish seconds left. That step back that he took was unneeded. If he would have just stayed with him, im pretty sure a foul wouldnt have been called and it would have not created that seperation for Durant.

mttwlsn16
01-23-2011, 02:30 PM
poor nilo

justinnum1
01-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Nothing he could have done, can't play Durant too close with 5 seconds left in the game he gets those calls where he clips your hands after a head fake.

this

Sandman
01-23-2011, 02:40 PM
I'd say about 5 or 6. Gallinari looked terrified Durant was going to blow past him and Durant used the extra step to get off the game winning shot.

sep11ie
01-23-2011, 03:05 PM
I give this thread a 1, his D a 4.

Kashmir13579
01-23-2011, 03:06 PM
poor Gallo. he did the best he could i'd give it a 7

SouthSideRookie
01-23-2011, 03:09 PM
This was a final shot attempt for a game winner from Durant earlier this season, was it luck or good defense by Battier, you decide. skip forward to about 2 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ULT2-9d5Ro

Raps18-19 Champ
01-23-2011, 03:18 PM
He had a hand up but KD faded away so the hand didn't really affect him.

I'm I was Gallo, I would have jumped as soon as I saw KD move because there was like 1 second left of the clock and I doubt KD would have pump faked and had enough time to draw the foul.

cargobox
01-23-2011, 04:54 PM
I don't like Gallinari, so I gave that foo a 0.

Hoopsadvocate
01-23-2011, 04:57 PM
I give it a 7 he gave him a little room (but with some reason) and did make him take a fall away jumper. Tough shot to make regardless.

Rego247
01-23-2011, 05:02 PM

but that was the most modest game winning celebration i've seen. he just walks away lol.

J-Relo
01-23-2011, 05:10 PM
Solid 7.

0nekhmer
01-23-2011, 05:15 PM
give him a 7, his footwork was pretty good but, he didn't get into him enough and should of jump contested that(some might say it's better to stay on your feet) but at least vertically jump not horizontally

Giaps
01-23-2011, 05:16 PM
He shot a sideways fadeaway 3... commentator saying Gallo gave him room to make the shot makes no sense. Shoot fadeaways all game and you will always have room. Good defense. Great shot.

WizFan3
01-23-2011, 05:20 PM
good d he tried a shot fake if he jumped he woulda got fouled cuz nilo woulda gave into it good d but he coulda been more up on him

irobson
01-23-2011, 05:46 PM
10...10...i give it a 10

madiaz3
01-23-2011, 05:51 PM

This, we've all seen it, and Gallo knew it.

Crackadalic
01-23-2011, 06:07 PM
Yall do realize that Durant is the best in the league in drawing hand fouls right? IF Gallo put his hand 1 feet from his face it would have been called a foul. He did his best but you cant say his defense is bad when the guy is fading away from 3 out of bounds. I give it a 6 though

beasted86
01-23-2011, 09:43 PM
KD is a shooter and there wasn't enough time to drive. Gallo should have played up closer, but is too slow footed to recover and contest. Gallo did the best he could, with his defensive ability.

But looking strictly from a defensive analysis regardless of player: 3 out of 10.

It kind of reminds me of Hedo's defense on that LeBron 3 two years ago. Hedo did pretty good for his ability, but it wasn't that good of defense.

dodie53
01-23-2011, 10:08 PM
terrific shot,
no one can do anything about that

MJ-BULLS
01-23-2011, 10:21 PM
excellent shot. not excellent D, but KD made it still. it was a great game.

nolafan33
01-23-2011, 10:26 PM
7- He was good but he didn't match Durant's rise.

aussie
01-23-2011, 11:29 PM
terrific shot,
no one can do anything about that

Ariza or Pondexter would of been straight up in his grillz

sargon21
01-23-2011, 11:31 PM
7...similar to the melo game-winner over deng earlier this year

Phenomenonsense
01-23-2011, 11:35 PM
D could have been better if he knew how much time was on the clock, the team d would effect this, having their Center's defender calling out the time would really help. It was good not to jump at first up-move if there was more time on the clock. He also never contested the shot. The shot was way too high to bother by the time Gallo could have jumped. 7.

blahblahyoutoo
01-24-2011, 12:35 AM
everyone that's saying "but he hit the shot"... so if he misses the same shot, is it suddenly good defense?

knickerbockerny
01-24-2011, 12:47 AM
KD is a shooter and there wasn't enough time to drive. Gallo should have played up closer, but is too slow footed to recover and contest. Gallo did the best he could, with his defensive ability.

But looking strictly from a defensive analysis regardless of player: 3 out of 10.

It kind of reminds me of Hedo's defense on that LeBron 3 two years ago. Hedo did pretty good for his ability, but it wasn't that good of defense.

Perfect analysis, but I gave Gallinari a 5 out of 10 for the same reasoning. Overall Mike D had the wrong game plan all along. You have to let anyone other than Durant beat you. There should have been a help defender there as soon as Durant turned the corner. Plus Gallinari should not have been on him to begin with.

Confusious
01-24-2011, 01:25 AM
He shot a sideways fadeaway 3... commentator saying Gallo gave him room to make the shot makes no sense. Shoot fadeaways all game and you will always have room. Good defense. Great shot.
Agreed.

It's KD so we shouldn't be surprised.

Hellcrooner
01-24-2011, 01:27 AM
horrible.

you hack him the hardest you can then they have to make the ft.

Geargo Wallace
01-24-2011, 01:42 AM
I gave a 5. He stayed somewhat in front of him but he didn't make it hard for Durant at all. He knew how much time was left. Should have played him tighter.

Phenomenonsense
01-24-2011, 02:02 AM
horrible.

you hack him the hardest you can then they have to make the ft.

Lmao that has to be a joke. Game tied, you foul someone so the game rests on making 1 of 3 FTs instead of a fade away jumper.

Hellcrooner
01-24-2011, 02:21 AM
Lmao that has to be a joke. Game tied, you foul someone so the game rests on making 1 of 3 FTs instead of a fade away jumper.

no, you hack the player wasting the less time posible so you have the last possesion.

Chronz
01-24-2011, 02:41 AM
Honestly in a tie game situation who expects anyone to shoot a 3? Thats all I can say, it prolly wasnt good defense but it was good defense for Gallo

jimm120
01-24-2011, 02:43 AM
It was good D I mean it was a fall away three with a man in his face. What else do u want Gallo to do? I mean there is only so much u can do against great players like KD I mean Gallo played him so tough all night that KD seemed to make up his mind that he has going to take a fade away three from the get. He didn't even try to get a closer shot he just tried to get hm to back up a step and used his length to get off a good shot. Which is weird to say because Gallo is big himself but KD might just be a little longer the Gallo.

Gallo didn't jump. That is why I think his defense was only "fair". But, since the shot had to be a fading 3 pointer, I put it "above fair" at a 6.

But Gallo reacts more quickly and jumps, and he could have been blocked or something.

Chronz
01-24-2011, 02:44 AM
no, you hack the player wasting the less time posible so you have the last possesion.
You cant be serious

KnickFanSince91
01-24-2011, 02:45 AM
I gave it a 2. KD got a wide open look at the end of the game because

1) Gallo did not deny the ball after getting over the screen. He stopped moving his feet and leaned and that allow Durant to get the ball in the first place.

2)Gallo not only let him go right, he forced a right handed shooter to his strong hand. If he sits on the right hand, you force KD to cross over and shoot across his body.

3) Gallo played off on a jump shooter with 2 seconds left and never even got vertical when the shot was released. He didn't have enough time to get to the rack and a one handed runner would have been a much tougher shot. KD hits fadeaways from the spot in practice. We all remember those shots he made in the HORSE competition a couple years ago.

Ty Fast
01-24-2011, 03:03 AM
it doesnt matter. they lost the game.

Raph12
01-24-2011, 03:09 AM
It was okay, I gave it a 6, too much space and didn't jump to get into him more...

madiaz3
01-24-2011, 03:38 AM
Gallos feet leave the ground in that situation and that game is decided on the free throw line...guaranteed

Hawkeye15
01-24-2011, 04:14 AM
Gallos feet leave the ground in that situation and that game is decided on the free throw line...guaranteed

yep. Check my first post here. You cant use your body against, KD, or its a foul. You can't crowd him on the attempt, or he draws a foul. What are you supposed to do, when a tie game shooter takes a fadeaway 3?

KnickFanSince91
01-24-2011, 04:47 AM

Gallo forces him left and the game is decided in overtime :)

the_antz_nest
01-24-2011, 04:00 PM
no! the d was horrible! some peeps on here saying he got a hand up? NO! putting your hand up is not contesting the shot. lazy d at best. weve all done that before seen the man jump/fade and just put our hand up in a lazy *** fashion to make it look like we contested. i really think gallo thought he wouldnt make it other wise he would of jumped out stretched with abit more passion. fading 3 is ok but lets be real durant wasnt forced into fading by gallos d. push him into a tough baseline 2 thats contested then i might give him a better vote than 2/10. and he didnt make it coz it was durant any star would of got that shot anytime and would be licking their lips to take it (lebron, wade, hedo,kobe, dirk, pierce,)

Rivera
01-24-2011, 04:08 PM
it was gallo so i would give it a 10....but since durant made the shot and durant is just a sexy beast...my raiting goes down .5

so gallos defense is 9.5

twoearl
01-24-2011, 04:11 PM
I think it was good defense, gallo made him took a fading three, so I give it a 7.

^ This. How many times does a player make a FADEAWAY three pointer? Sometimes you just have to tip your hat to the guy and say good shot.

KnickFanSince91
01-24-2011, 04:26 PM
^ This. How many times does a player make a FADEAWAY three pointer? Sometimes you just have to tip your hat to the guy and say good shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzkZ409gX-Q

ff to 1:03 and listen to the commentary. Wide open deep jumpers is what Kevin Durant knows best. No need trying to sugarcoat it - Wide open looks = terrible defense.

Sactown
01-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Did Gallo even force him to fade? It seems like Durant wanted to fade IMO

Sactown
01-24-2011, 04:51 PM
They should of doubled hard and forced someone else to make the game winner

KnickFanSince91
01-24-2011, 05:07 PM
Did Gallo even force him to fade? It seems like Durant wanted to fade IMO

EXACTLY. He took the shot that he wanted to take from the spot he wanted to take it from. He probably hits 20 of those during pre game warm ups.

blastmasta26
01-24-2011, 05:09 PM
7. Gallo couldn't really get much closer without fouling Durant. And he could've done better, which is why it's not a 10. But he also could've done much worse, that was not bad D.

Sactown
01-24-2011, 05:10 PM
EXACTLY. He took the shot that he wanted to take from the spot he wanted to take it from. He probably hits 20 of those during pre game warm ups.

All I know, is it looks like Durant got the shot he wanted..

ttam68
01-24-2011, 05:14 PM
Can't complain too much about a fade away 3, but then again Durant likes those.

6/10

Sactown
01-24-2011, 05:18 PM
Also remember.. difficulty of shot doesn't mean he played good defense..
If Lebron just ran up and dunked it normal compared to running up and doing a 360 dunk does the change whether the defense 20 feet away was good or bad? no..

SteveNash
01-24-2011, 05:22 PM
People giving this a 7?

This is good defense?: http://imgur.com/K43vX

The poor defense started right at the beginning where Gallinari could have put himself in perfect position to deny the ball, but decided to get past Collisons blatant moving screen instead allowing Durant to easily catch the ball.

After Durant catches the ball Gallinari gets out of position, overplaying Durant's left hand a bit too much, then weakly contests the shot.

The only good defense was the shot Durant chose to take and and the time left on the clock.

2 out of 10

KnickFanSince91
01-24-2011, 05:23 PM
All I know, is it looks like Durant got the shot he wanted..

Preaching to the choir

WizFan3
01-24-2011, 05:23 PM
i put it right of there with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laydODN6xVk
and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upjWBobZlns

Sactown
01-24-2011, 05:30 PM
Preaching to the choir

Some people think that it was good defense lol.. NY should of won that game

nyanks79
01-24-2011, 05:36 PM
I cant find the stats but isnt Durant better going left.

KnickFanSince91
01-24-2011, 06:08 PM
Some people think that it was good defense lol.. NY should of won that game

It must be the whole 'A for Effort-everybody-gets-a-medal' special Olympics mentality society has now. I blame the No Child Left Behind act. I did all my venting about the game on the Knicks board. Damn you Felton :facepalm:

I cant find the stats but isnt Durant better going left.

I'm not sure..maybe driving to the basket but forcing a right handed shooter to dribble with his left hand with 2 seconds on the clock is never a bad idea.

Mplsman
01-24-2011, 06:11 PM
A 6. Thunder Wins!!!! Thunder Wins!!!

Sactown
01-24-2011, 06:26 PM
[QUOTE=KnickFanSince91;16448853]It must be the whole 'A for Effort-everybody-gets-a-medal' special Olympics mentality society has now. I blame the No Child Left Behind act. I did all my venting about the game on the Knicks board. Damn you Felton :facepalm:

Haha that's funny, but yeah.. they should of doubled

tmacsc2
01-24-2011, 06:29 PM
I gave him a 5 because he had half of his defense, did great on keeping with durantula but he didnt give his full effort to jump when durant took the shot so it was decent defense worth a 5

Jays Claw
01-24-2011, 06:46 PM
I gave the defense a 6. I thought he played fairly well on it. He shouldn't have backed up as much thinking KD would drive, but I mean he got a hand up and contested the shot, durant just made a great shot.

it was fair defense. You can't body Durant in those situations, he gets that call everytime. You can't risk jumping on that attempt, Durant will upfake you and draw. The Knicks basically did what they could, but they should have sent help immediately as Durant cleared that screen up top. Gallo's defense wasn't all that bad. The Knicks team defense was. Send a man at Durant hard. Not enough time for him to make a pass and that player get a good look.

I agree with both of these statements.

The Knicks did a poor job of recognizing Durant's ISO play off the Collison screen. Felton should have been the one to rotate over and trap KD baseline while Turiaf steps up key and Stoudemire steps down. That would have caused KD to a) turn the ball over, b) call a timeout, and/or c) pass it up top to Westbrook who would then attempt a long distance 3-pointer with less than a second of game time.

As for Gallo's individual defense, he did a solid job. Although backing off of him with less than 2.5 seconds on the clock wasn't the greatest of choices. I'd rate his defensive effort a 6/10. But at the end of the day, KD made it happen.

Super.
01-25-2011, 12:44 AM
7. Shoulda jumped

sargon21
01-25-2011, 12:45 AM
Anyone else see Durant blow it down the stretch tonight?

Rego247
01-25-2011, 12:52 AM
Anyone else see Durant blow it down the stretch tonight?

no what happened?

godolphins
01-25-2011, 12:59 AM
It's a player from the Knicks who don't play D

sargon21
01-25-2011, 02:51 AM
no what happened?

He missed like 3 or more shots in a row, on like a tied game or up 2 that would have pretty much easily won the game for them. In the end, it came down to a David West buzzer-beater that did them in, but Durant had countless opportunities to end the game.

ElMarroAfamado
01-25-2011, 03:56 AM
it was great defense but i mean what else could he do foul him?
Durant just made an amazing shot