PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton benched fifth straight game for reasons unknown to him

m26555
01-22-2011, 10:51 AM
NEWARK, N.J. -- Richard Hamilton is still waiting to find out whether he has a role with the Detroit Pistons.

No one in the Detroit organization has told Hamilton why he hasn't played for five straight games, the guard said during a short interview before the Pistons' game with the Nets in New Jersey on Friday night.

Hamilton was rumored to be part of a three-team trade with the Nets and the Denver Nuggets that would have brought him to New Jersey.

The Pistons opted nine days ago not to play the 11-year veteran amid talk his days in Detroit might be numbered. Coach John Kuester has said he was simply trying to shake up his rotation when Hamilton was benched. He lost his starting job last month.

However, the proposed deal to bring Carmelo Anthony to New Jersey came to a crashing end Wednesday when Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov told his team to break off talks because the negotiations became too public, took too long and were hurting the team.

"You wanted closure," Hamilton said of the trade talks that lasted a little less than two weeks.

Hamilton said he tried to be the best professional possible during the talks and to remain fit.

However, not playing was tough.

"You know they sat me down and you hear all these different allegations for why they sat me down and things like that," said Hamilton, who will turn 33 in February. "It was crazy to me because I want to play basketball. I want to get out there and perform, that's all I have been doing since I have been in the NBA."

Hamilton, who was averaging 13.2 points, said he never questioned Kuester about not playing, and neither Kuester nor Pistons president Joe Dumars talked to him about it.

"It's the same thing as the whole situation went on, no one is telling me what is going on," Hamilton said. "It's one of those things, you give to your team for the last nine years your blood, sweat and tears and you never expect nothing like that to happen. But it happened."

The Pistons came into the game against New Jersey having won three of four.

However, Hamilton indicated there has been a lot of turmoil on the team this season and showed his displeasure Friday night, when he provided his own transportation to the Prudential Center instead of coming with the team.

Hamilton refused to say whether he would have been OK playing for the Nets. When asked directly whether he wanted to be traded, Hamilton deflected the question.

"It's not my decision," he said. "That's a question you have to ask them in that locker room. I have no control. I can't go and say I'm going trade myself. I have no control over that."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/14584099/rip-out-for-5th-game-still-uncertain-of-pistons-role

Strange and certainly very unprofessional, especially given all that Hamilton has done for that franchise. If you're not going to play a guy, fine, but at least give him a reason why. I hope he gets traded to a contender. The dude deserves it.

mark1125
01-22-2011, 11:09 AM
A) Kuester needs to get fired.
B) RIP needs to get dealt.

With that said, it isn't as if RIP has been a model citizen. His string of ejections, and some would say criticism of management hasn't exactly shown a lot.

Doubt he gets dealt though.

bctgg27
01-22-2011, 11:12 AM
All this time I figured he wasn't playing because he was going to be traded to the Nets. But since that was called off, I figure maybe they are close to dealing him to another team. At least tell the guy why he isn't playing. The way they have treated him has been extremely disrespectful. He deserves the up most respect from that organization for all that he has done for them.

beasted86
01-22-2011, 11:20 AM
They really need to free Richard Hamilton. This is a trade I'd really like to see go down, DET/OKC:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=457x34p

The Pistons get a couple of expirers, maybe OKC can throw in a pick (they will have more than 1 first rounder in 2012). OKC gets the shooter they really need as they are dead last in 3PT% in the league.

CB29
01-22-2011, 11:28 AM
its really killing my fantasy team... i want him to go somewhere he can play... can put up like 15 ppg...

macc
01-22-2011, 11:36 AM
This is the other side noone ever talks about. People are certanly bias to their fav team and normally back them up anytime they do something like this.

This is why I don't blame players for leaving organizations when their contract is up. Players can use teams but on the other side of it, teams use players just as much. As soon as somone loses a step or two in the NBA their franchise treats them like crap or trades them to "whoever" while they still have any "value" at all. Yet noone jumps on NBA teams for treating vets the way they do, yet Lebron James and Carmelo Anthony will get crucified in here on a daily basis for wanting to jump ship from their current franchise.

The NBA is a business, it's not personal, that goes for both the player and the team.

Players should do whats best for them as well as the team. It's how the NBA works.

Lions #81
01-22-2011, 11:42 AM
As a pistons fan it hurts to see hamilton not play. The least we could do is trade the guy so he can play. OKC would be awesome for rip. If the pistons ged rid of rip for this reason and ben gordon. I'd be happy

DwayneMVPwade
01-22-2011, 11:44 AM
His career is over in Detroit. He will be traded

heatbb
01-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Sad, I've really liked him since the mid-2000 Pistons teams. He's not a great scorer anymore but c'mon, benching a guy that has done so much for the franchise and not telling him why, is just insulting. Hope he gets traded to a good team where he would have no pressure coming off the bench and scoring 15PPG. He's still capable of it.

superkegger
01-22-2011, 12:00 PM
I don't get it. I mean, I get why you sit him. You want to move him. But Rip has been a big part of that team for a decade, he deserves to be treated with a bit more dignity than that.

arkanian215
01-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Gotta keep him healthy if they're gonna trade him. Same is true for Troy Murphy.

Baller1
01-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Hamilton and Prince for Jeff Green and a future first round pick.

Kakaroach
01-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Kuester is just an idiot. Why bench arguably your best player even if he is going to be traded? Not to mention Rip has given everything he has to that franchise and this is pretty much a slap in the face.

drobe86
01-22-2011, 01:35 PM

Thats dumb.. You would give up a young up and coming baller in Jeff Green for 2 over the hill players that are past their prime. You're not getting the Hamilton and Prince from 2004... Those guys are washed up these days...

Raoul Duke
01-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Kuester is just an idiot. Why bench arguably your best player even if he is going to be traded? Not to mention Rip has given everything he has to that franchise and this is pretty much a slap in the face.

I agree, mostly.

It's pretty obvious that he doesn't fit in Detroit anymore and that his last extension was a mistake. The guy is turning 33 this year and we suck, so he's basically just taking minutes away from his younger and same-priced replacement (Gordon). It's a bad situation for both sides and it needs to change, quickly.

The saddest part is that Hamilton is still in great shape and he's perfectly capable of 18+ efficient ppg. As I stated in the Pistons forum, I'd be very happy to see him shipped off to a contender for fifty cents on the dollar just as long as we can get a decent expiring contract or two in return. This is a terrible way for one of my favorite Pistons to spend the twilight of his career... :(

OT Thriller
01-22-2011, 01:40 PM
The whole situation is very sad. I can't wait until Rip is dealt and gets an opportunity to end his career on a good note. I really like him as a player an he has been nothing but professional when the organization has treated him like crap.

Please, Detroit, deal the man soon!

Baller1
01-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Thats dumb.. You would give up a young up and coming baller in Jeff Green for 2 over the hill players that are past their prime. You're not getting the Hamilton and Prince from 2004... Those guys are washed up these days...

Prince isn't that old, Rip will be around for plenty more years because he's strictly a shooter, and Jeff Green has no business being on a team with an elite SF already.

I know what I'm talking about. This trade would make our team significantly better.

chitown4eva88
01-22-2011, 01:53 PM
The Bulls should make a run for him.

Confusious
01-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't mind him now that his value is scum of the earth like. Maybe trade Bogans and a pick for him? :laugh2:

SeoulBeatz
01-22-2011, 05:22 PM
Wow, detroit has fallen so far since their amazing run in the mid 2000's.

Rip is getting incredibly disrespected here, for all he has done for that organization, that's just unacceptable.

Gators123
01-22-2011, 05:26 PM
The rotation changes every week. He will be back into the lineup soon.

HoopsDrive
01-22-2011, 05:36 PM
this is the other side noone ever talks about. People are certanly bias to their fav team and normally back them up anytime they do something like this.

This is why i don't blame players for leaving organizations when their contract is up. Players can use teams but on the other side of it, teams use players just as much. As soon as somone loses a step or two in the nba their franchise treats them like crap or trades them to "whoever" while they still have any "value" at all. Yet noone jumps on nba teams for treating vets the way they do, yet lebron james and carmelo anthony will get crucified in here on a daily basis for wanting to jump ship from their current franchise.

The nba is a business, it's not personal, that goes for both the player and the team.

Players should do whats best for them as well as the team. It's how the nba works.

+1

Chronz
01-22-2011, 05:38 PM
The guy is past his prime and overpaid, if the Pistons could get an expiring for him hed be gone by now

Phenomenonsense
01-22-2011, 05:45 PM

I'd do it. Do whatever filler we need to make it work. Jeff Green's development is stunted behind Durant really. Say maybe a 2012 first rounder since you guys have two that year.

Prince is in his prime. He was in college for 4 years, has been in 200 less games than most of his peers, and is still a great defender, as well as having career numbers. He is probably at the apex of his prime right now. Rip is a shooter, you don't lose the ability to shoot. He's 6'6" and will always be able to shoot over small guards. Rip could be a great bench player, 15 ppg. Coach Q is terrible. Both Rip and BG are afraid to miss shots (which makes them miss more) because he'll pull either of them and put the other in.

Edit: Rip is also an expiring next year, so you can get good value for him and have the room to resign players.

Baller1
01-22-2011, 05:59 PM
I'd do it. Do whatever filler we need to make it work. Jeff Green's development is stunted behind Durant really. Say maybe a 2012 first rounder since you guys have two that year.

Prince is in his prime. He was in college for 4 years, has been in 200 less games than most of his peers, and is still a great defender, as well as having career numbers. He is probably at the apex of his prime right now. Rip is a shooter, you don't lose the ability to shoot. He's 6'6" and will always be able to shoot over small guards. Rip could be a great bench player, 15 ppg. Coach Q is terrible. Both Rip and BG are afraid to miss shots (which makes them miss more) because he'll pull either of them and put the other in.

Edit: Rip is also an expiring next year, so you can get good value for him and have the room to resign players.

I agree completely. There's no doubt in my mind that Green would flourish on a team like Detroit. He'd be in his natural position where he's a great basketball player. And a 2012 first rounder sounds about right.

For us, we get a great defender who could relieve Durant of so many minutes and also allow him to focus more on his offensive game. Rip is rip, a shooter, and a great one at that. He's exactly what this team needs, not to mention the veteran, championship experience. He wouldn't get a ton of minutes, but it can't get much worse than it is for him in Detroit.

I'd love this trade.

Phenomenonsense
01-22-2011, 06:02 PM
I agree completely. There's no doubt in my mind that Green would flourish on a team like Detroit. He'd be in his natural position where he's a great basketball player. And a 2012 first rounder sounds about right. For us, we get a great defender who could relieve Durant of so many minutes and also allow him to focus more on his offensive game. Rip is rip, a shooter, and a great one at that. He's exactly what this team needs, not to mention the veteran, championship experience. He wouldn't get a ton of minutes, but it can't get much worse than it is for him in Detroit.

I'd love this trade.

And Prince can still guard Kobe. Against that Laker team, you could run with Prince next to Durant.

LA_Raiders
01-22-2011, 06:24 PM
That sucks, I hope he gets traded soon.

VinceCarter
01-22-2011, 06:24 PM

Jeff Green to the Nets..........who would you want in return. Try to be fair (I'M JUST CURIOUS).

Baller1
01-22-2011, 06:25 PM
And Prince can still guard Kobe. Against that Laker team, you could run with Prince next to Durant.

I wish. Presti is too arrogant to veer off track of his mindset though unfortunately.

xbrackattackx
01-22-2011, 06:27 PM
Prince isn't that old, Rip will be around for plenty more years because he's strictly a shooter, and Jeff Green has no business being on a team with an elite SF already.

I know what I'm talking about. This trade would make our team significantly better.

x2 Prince is still under 30 and putting up great numbers and he could be a lock down defender and Rip has a great leadership ability I know its Durant team but Rip could help with his experience and so could prince. I would do that trade in a min. If I was OKC, They would be way too deep.

Baller1
01-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Jeff Green to the Nets..........who would you want in return. Try to be fair (I'M JUST CURIOUS).

Jeff Green and a 2011 2nd rounder for Troy Murphy and Anthony Morrow.

It could be worked around of course, but that's what I'd want from New Jersey.

KaganRS
01-22-2011, 06:50 PM
Rip will be remembered as a Piston.

Kuester you're just passing through , so GTFO.

Respect What Rip has done here.

JWO35
01-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Rip, Tayshaun, Kuster, and Karen Davidson all need to hit the door...

jkcronyn
01-22-2011, 08:55 PM
i think the pistons are just trying to figure out what they got... not so much a slight to hamilton, but really just a selfish way to assess the rebuilding process

KaganRS
01-23-2011, 03:47 AM
Rip, Tayshaun, Kuster, and Karen Davidson all need to hit the door...

Charles Barkley " Bill Davidson rollin' ova in his grave!"

dodie53
01-23-2011, 07:04 AM
maybe they don't want him getting injured coz he's going to be traded soon

TopsyTurvy
01-23-2011, 11:39 AM
I wouldn't mind him on the Bulls...

I'm sure he's been benched due to some trade negotiations that simply haven't been finalized. It's not hard to believe an already mismanaged team looking to reset agreeing to a potential suitor's demands that Rip isn't hurt when he gets traded - especially to a contender.