PDA

View Full Version : Is Warrior's owner making Stephen Curry available?

MagicBucsSox
01-21-2011, 12:43 PM
The office is not haunted, after all.

You do not feel Chris Cohan's numbing presence, thank goodness, when Joe Lacob waves you in and immediately jumps into a free-flowing conversation about big trades, recent disappointments and big promises.

The theme: The Warriors are now an active, antsy franchise, just dying to make the move that would change everything and not afraid to contemplate dealing away their best players.

"I'm certainly biased toward doing something -- strongly," Lacob said Thursday during our long discussion in the owner's clean corner office at the Warriors facility.

"What I would really love to do is to pull off the deal to get a superstar. There's one or two of them out there."

Denver's Carmelo Anthony would be the main one, and Lacob admits Anthony is probably headed elsewhere.

But just three months after Lacob took over the reins with co-owner Peter Guber, the most striking points of this 35-minute interview were Lacob's willingness to publicly circle who and what he wants, and offer specific criticisms of his own players and coach.

Some of the highlights:

Lacob said he loves the offensive firepower of the Warriors' Monta Ellis-Stephen Curry backcourt, but had questions about the duo's ability to hold up defensively.

"I really like those guys as individuals, and I like them as players," Lacob said. "But I have to be honest, it depends. If we gotoffered a great situation, would I break it up? Yes.

The owner called Ellis "our core, franchise player," and agreed that Curry has not played to the standards of last season.

"Does that mean that Curry would be traded, or more likely to be traded than Ellis? Not necessarily," Lacob said. "It really depends. "... This is all dependent on what you're going to get in return."

But the difference from just last summer is unmistakable: Curry used to be beyond trade talk, even for Lacob, and he's not now.

Lacob suggested he'd like to see coach Keith Smart give rookie Ekpe Udoh more minutes and institute a steadier substitution pattern.

"There are times that I do not understand it," Lacob said of Smart's playing rotation.

"He's a very cerebral guy. There's a method to his madness to this point, I think. There are times I don't quite get it, and I think he's still trying to work the kinks out, trying to understand what he has."

Lacob said the decline of center Andris Biedrins has sharpened the Warriors' need for a low-post presence.

"Maybe it's going to come back," Lacob said of Biedrins' productivity. "He's a valuable player. But right now I can't sit here and say we're getting enough out of that position."

Lacob said the new ownership group has already agreed that, if an elite player is available, the Warriors would be willing to increase their payroll above the current luxury-tax level.

Yes, Lacob said, he has been actively monitoring the Anthony situation.

"We've had discussions with Denver," Lacob said. "And I think it's possible. But unfortunately, he clearly wants to be one place geographically."

After the New Jersey Nets loudly pulled out of the Anthony talks this week, everything points to Anthony ending up with the New York Knicks.

But Lacob suggested the Warriors'
"We think we have better assets to go after someone like him, that caliber, than most of the teams out there that are being talked about," Lacob said.

This is all pretty radical stuff coming from any owner, but particularly from the Warriors owner, after the long years of Cohan silence and befuddlement.

Lacob said he won't do a bad trade just to make a trade, but emphasized that team executives have to be willing to embrace something dramatic when the right deal comes along.

"We're willing to do anything to improve this team -- I told you," Lacob said.

Beyond the goals and general antsiness, Lacob said he was happy with the attitude of the team and the spirit of the locker room, if not the 18-23 record at the midpoint.

He repeatedly offered praise for general manager Larry Riley, but said that Riley, Rowell, Smart and all other top-line Warriors employees won't be fully evaluated until after the season.

For now, Lacob's goal is to get to 28-27 by the All-Star break. Which means the Warriors (who are currently on a three-game winning streak) would have to win 10 of their next 14 games to meet Lacob's target.

"Feels doable right now," Lacob said. "I think that would put us in a really nice position. Now the schedule does get a little bit harder in March again. So whether we can stay at .500 or better, you know "... we'll just see."

After the All-Star break comes the Feb. 24 trade deadline. By then, the Warriors will either have made the move Lacob is dying to make, or he will be back pacing, waiting and angling for more action.

Bookey
01-21-2011, 12:59 PM
He's overrated anyway,he's a great shooter,but thats about it,he dosen't play defense well,just as everybody on the warriors teams for the last decade or so,only if defense didn't matter lol

Crab Dribble!
01-21-2011, 01:01 PM
If the Warriors could pull off a trade for a quality center (let's say, Marc Gasol) or a superstar, then they'd easily trade Curry. Otherwise, I don't think so.

AddiX
01-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Curry just looks to slow to ever put his name with the top PG's.

Really smart and a ace from 3 though. That makes up for a lot. Would love him on the Knicks.

MagicBucsSox
01-21-2011, 01:03 PM
he fits soooooooooooooo lovely in Orlando's offense. he can work with or w/o the ball. allowing Turk and him to exchange pg.

i just dont know what the hell we'd give for him Bass,Jj,Nelson? we blew our wad trading too early, Gortat& an expiring VC couldve really help the cause

rapjuicer06
01-21-2011, 01:13 PM
my God would curry fit in perfect with orlando...that'd be ridiculous!

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-21-2011, 01:31 PM
they should trade Ellis instead

Lake_Show2416
01-21-2011, 01:32 PM
The whole conception of him being just a 3 point shooter is ridiculous ..this guy is a real PG, he can shoot from anywhere n his court vision was very suprising coming out of college, THE GUY PASSES LIKE HE'S BEEN PLAYING PG THROUGHOUT SCHOOL and has only developed on those skills from the short stint in the nba

His big knock is his defense and if that aspect of his game can be brought around

N he's only a sophomore, GMs r gonna b all over this

Kdirt
01-21-2011, 01:35 PM
He is definitely available. Anyone in the league not named Wade, Kobe, Lebron, or Dwight should be available. Its just a matter of what can be attained for the player.

Do the Hornets want to throw us Chris Paul and Okafor for Curry, Biedrins, and expirings? Then you have to pull the trigger, but you dont trade Curry just to trade him, only to improve the current state of the team.

MagicBucsSox
01-21-2011, 01:44 PM
the bobcats are gonna irk me out this because its a matter of time til Wallace is offered for him

colinskik
01-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Where's asandhu23?

After watching the Warriors/Pacers game the other day, the most striking thing was how Monta and Curry don't' seem to be the best fit in a backcourt together. Seems like it's Monta's team and Curry's development is struggling because of it.

So who do the Warriors hang on to and who do they ship out?

When I posed that question on the Warriors forum all I heard was the they should keep both.

Personally I think they should ship out Monta and get a big return; pieces that can fit around the Curry/Lee duo, which would be a deadly PNR combo if they became the focus of the offense.

John Walls Era
01-21-2011, 01:59 PM
He's overrated anyway,he's a great shooter,but thats about it,he dosen't play defense well,just as everybody on the warriors teams for the last decade or so,only if defense didn't matter lol

U nver watched him play. Hes a legit pg

Sadds The Gr8
01-21-2011, 02:03 PM
I think he'd be WAYYYY better w/o Ellis. His #'s last year when Ellis was injured were amazing. Ellis is definitely slowing his growth.

asandhu23
01-21-2011, 02:19 PM
1. Ellis wasn't injured last year? wtf you smoking? he took the last few weeks off because the season was lost already and he had pretty much played every minute of every game before that break.

2. Curry is playing his role as a point guard and as person who can stretch the floor. This year however, he's been injury prone ( damn broken ankles every damn week if you remember correctly). He will be the one to go.

iggypop123
01-21-2011, 02:20 PM
this is really making something out of nothing

cheetos185
01-21-2011, 02:20 PM
douglas and AR for steph curry :D

asandhu23
01-21-2011, 02:22 PM

uh no... we just sent Anthony Randolph to you guys.

asandhu23
01-21-2011, 02:25 PM
Here's an article for you which explains Curry's problems this year.

Warriors coach Keith Smart said before Monday's game that he could foresee situations in which he would go long stints without point guard Stephen Curry on the floor because of the height disadvantage he and backcourt mate Monta Ellis create.

Smart's vision didn't necessarily include the game against New Jersey an hour later, but that's the way it unfolded.

Curry couldn't stay in front of firecracker point guard Devin Harris and picked up two early fouls in each half. Curry was forced to the bench for 12 1/2-minute spans in each situation.

Because Smart also opted to go without Curry in the final minutes of Friday's victory over the Clippers, the point guard was asked if his coach's confidence in him was wavering.

"I'm not worried about that, at all," said Curry, who had 13 points on 4-for-10 shooting and two of the team's season-low six turnovers. "It's a two-game stretch. I'm sure you can find any kind of story in a two-game stretch. I don't feel like there is anything different about his approach to the game.

"He felt like Reggie (Williams) could guard Eric Gordon better Friday, and I got into foul trouble Monday. That's it."

But that's not it.

Curry is averaging 14.9 points on 40.4 percent shooting since returning Dec. 25 from a six-game layoff because of a right ankle sprain. (That's down from 20.1 points per game on 48.9 percent shooting before his injury.) He has shown to be a liability on defense - though he says his ankle is not the problem - and Smart increasingly has shown the willingness to sit him.

"Guys are going to have to buy into the fact that, at certain times of a game and at certain points of a season, one of the guards won't be on the floor because of a matchup situation," Smart said. "You have to grow the rest of your team toward moving that way. Your roster has to develop to that point."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/01/18/SPRB1HA1G6.DTL

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-21-2011, 02:27 PM
If they trade Curry, they'll have a major drop off

Curry+Lee+Dwright would be a nice trio to build around

MiKE-THE-FUTURE
01-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Can he play SG?

Shkelqim
01-21-2011, 02:29 PM
U still have Monta

KingPosey
01-21-2011, 02:34 PM
^
Sure if u want a 6'2" 180 lbs SG that cant play D...

fadedmario
01-21-2011, 02:39 PM
come to detroit

Sadds The Gr8
01-21-2011, 02:41 PM
1. Ellis wasn't injured last year? wtf you smoking? he took the last few weeks off because the season was lost already and he had pretty much played every minute of every game before that break

yea he was...he only played 64/82....u mean to tell me he sat out the last 2 weeks for no reason on a non-playoff team? he was injured for a couple of weeks mid-season...he had a sprained ankle and the flu or some ****....he was on my fantasy team last year.

Crab Dribble!
01-21-2011, 02:42 PM

The Warriors counter with Andris Biedrens and Dan Gadzuric for Amare and Gallo. ;)

AddiX
01-21-2011, 02:47 PM
The funny thing about Curry is I've ben saying for years he's not athletic enough to be elite, and that it would harm his NBA game a lot. He can't handle contact, can't handle the quickness of today's guards, and he has no quick first step.

Ricky Rubio will have the same exact problem and he can't shoot 1/10 as well as Curry. Believe me, this kid is going to be a huge bust. I don't even see this guy lasting in the NBA very long.

asandhu23
01-21-2011, 02:47 PM
yea he was...he only played 64/82....u mean to tell me he sat out the last 2 weeks for no reason on a non-playoff team? he was injured for a couple of weeks mid-season...he had a sprained ankle and the flu or some ****....he was on my fantasy team last year.

well.. he started taking weeks off to rest after All Star Weekend. Remember he was still recovering from the Moped Incident and Nellie had overworked him earlier.

Kdirt
01-21-2011, 02:56 PM
Curry's numbers being down is quite simple. Monta has regained his pre moped speed and form. David Lee has been added as well. Somebody has to drop in production.

SEATTLEredsox
01-21-2011, 02:58 PM
How would Curry be in more of a SG/combo guard role? (aside from being pretty undersized)

Jeff Green, James Harden, Cole Aldrich/Eric Maynor for Andris Biedrins and Curry?

Mishmin
01-21-2011, 02:59 PM
Curry would only get traded if warriors were offered a star. Other than that, untouchable.

Hugbees
01-21-2011, 03:05 PM
this is really making something out of nothing

Probably. But damn, a player like Curry is so fun to root for. Would love him on my team.

MagicBucsSox
01-21-2011, 03:06 PM
Curry would only get traded if warriors were offered a star. Other than that, untouchable.

the owner would just want something to improve the team, please read before u post

jim51990
01-21-2011, 03:08 PM
they should one of him and monta need to go and monta is a more complete and better player

D1JM
01-21-2011, 03:21 PM
the owner would just want something to improve the team, please read before u post

He will move curry for Melo, not Nelson.

Lloyd Christmas
01-21-2011, 03:40 PM
How would Curry be in more of a SG/combo guard role? (aside from being pretty undersized)

Jeff Green, James Harden, Cole Aldrich/Eric Maynor for Andris Biedrins and Curry?

That is a trade that I would seriously consider as a Warriors fan.

Phenomenonsense
01-21-2011, 04:17 PM
That is a trade that I would seriously consider as a Warriors fan.

Agreed. I saw that and I was like "Oh....hmmm.." but I'm not a warriors fan. Some people have pretty fair trades both ways on here and it's very surprising.

Sadds The Gr8
01-21-2011, 04:57 PM
well.. he started taking weeks off to rest after All Star Weekend. Remember he was still recovering from the Moped Incident and Nellie had overworked him earlier.

well yea exactly...my point was that Curry played way better in those games w/o Ellis.

alencp3
01-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Wtf is happening with Tyreke, Jennings and Curry this year

cheetos185
01-21-2011, 05:27 PM
The Warriors counter with Andris Biedrens and Dan Gadzuric for Amare and Gallo. ;)

how about knicks eddy curry for biedrens and steph curry haaha both sides end up with some curry

John Walls Era
01-21-2011, 05:32 PM

Tyreke never should've been a PG. Jennings is hurt. IDK whats up with Curry, but I think hes hurt too.

Its Derozan's year :cool:

WizFan3
01-21-2011, 05:52 PM
we need another shooter id gladly trade hinrich 2nd rounder for him

DwayneMVPwade
01-21-2011, 06:08 PM
Steph Curry is a stud. If GS does this they will regret it later

blueplanet
01-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Now people are underrating Curry. He is an awesome player and will have a great career...well, not as long as he plays with the ballhog Monta. They need to part ways with Monta (If there is any taker for him).

GSRaider
01-21-2011, 06:27 PM

That's actually a pretty fair deal... I'd be very interested in this trade...

Rare for PSD...

Crackadalic
01-21-2011, 06:31 PM

Not a warriors fan but i like that trade for both teams.

netsgiantsyanks
01-21-2011, 06:42 PM
trade monta. all hes doing is hurting curry's growth. trade monta maybe for a good pf or center and a couple of role players

netsgiantsyanks
01-21-2011, 06:43 PM
a tandem of marc gasol & stephen curry could be deadly in the future.

blueplanet
01-21-2011, 06:46 PM

lolwut? OKC gets raped on this. Besides where is Curry gonna play with Westbrook already there. Curry is not a SG.

James Harden is gonna be a stud if he gets playing time.

KingPosey
01-21-2011, 06:47 PM

Tyreke has been playing with foot probs. He cant shoot, so his ability to drive is diminished right now.

Curry got hurt, hasnt been the same since.

Jennings is exactly what he is. He cant shoot for ****, hogs the ball. He shot 36% last year, and people said he should be the ROY. He is garbage unless he changes his game.

cargobox
01-21-2011, 06:48 PM
Chris Kaman and Randy Foye (or Bledsoe) do it!

nycericanguy
01-21-2011, 06:56 PM
I love Gallo but if NY can get Melo for CHandler & Fields and picks, I'd do Gallo & Douglas for Curry in a heartbeat. GSW needs a sf and a defensive player

Turiaf
Amare
Melo
Curry
Felton

saucy1
01-21-2011, 07:14 PM
first off no one is trying to trade curry but if melo says hed go to golden state you have to do it.I think thats the way the owner is thinking.i think d wright would be better at two guard he has a 2 body and monta has shown tremendous improvement at point

IHeartNY
01-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Curry could fit in well in Utah I think. D-Will and Curry ... sounds pretty good to me.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Chris Kaman and Randy Foye (or Bledsoe) do it!

2 scrubs for curry
:puke:

GREATNESS ONE
01-21-2011, 07:56 PM
He'd fit perfect in Mike D'Antoni offense, especially with Amare.

sf-fanatic
01-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Can they send us billups too?

Warriors give:
Curry
Vlad Rad
Gadzuric
B. Wright
Udoh
Amundson
draft pick
(almost 20 on EC with young players Wright, Udoh, and Curry)

Warriors get
Carmelo
Billups

Changes can be made to substitute Nene and Biedrins too.
Or changes can be made to switch Monta and Curry.

This trade would destroy GS roster and leave them with less of a bench than they already have...

SEATTLEredsox
01-21-2011, 08:28 PM
lolwut? OKC gets raped on this. Besides where is Curry gonna play with Westbrook already there. Curry is not a SG.

James Harden is gonna be a stud if he gets playing time.

I haven't really seen Curry play much at all, which is why I asked if he would work as a SG. Someone mentioned Curry is a great catch and shoot player (I don't know if this is true or not), and the Thunder could really use an outside shooter to open up the lane. I could see it working if Russy and Curry each ran the point with Sefalosha at SG for about 15 minutes per game, and they spent about 20 minutes per game on the floor together. Curry seems to be able to play alongside a ball-dominant guard (Monta Ellis) and still remain pretty effective, so it could work. Defense would probably suffer, though.

iFYouSeekAmy
01-22-2011, 04:33 AM
Curry/Ellis are available if it means getting a superstar in return. Lacob would not trade Curry/Ellis just for the sake of trading them.

Baller1
01-22-2011, 04:42 AM
Stupid idea.