PDA

View Full Version : Bynum is looking Strong

Anilyzer
01-21-2011, 05:48 AM
I gotta say I was a bit skeptical and really thought we should've traded Bynum, during the summer and all season. However he is really showing that he is at the same level he was at during the Finals, except his knee is all cleaned up and stronger.

I'm really impressed with that, he is more balanced and under control, he is quick to the rim, dunking fast and with authority, but not showing off and hanging on the rim. Just *dunk* like easy. And looking very effective defensively. He gets to the rim better and easier than any Laker big, and I really really like that he doesn't try to euro-finesse it, like even Odom does as well as Gasol. Bynum just chucks it down and he is looking really strong right now.

jmtapia
01-21-2011, 05:57 AM
needs to be more consistent clearing the boards but hes been efficient offensively. Solid work guarding the paint.

gwrighter
01-21-2011, 10:51 AM
hurray for bynum

Super.
01-21-2011, 11:14 AM
http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4chan/for_forums/cool_story_bro2.jpg

Teeboy1487
01-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Lakers forum man.

Raph12
01-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Lakers forum man.

This... Although I am surprised and impressed that he bounced back so soon.

benzni
01-21-2011, 11:44 AM
good player

PrettyBoyJ
01-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Yeah hopefully they go back to there winning ways

Flash3
01-21-2011, 12:28 PM
yayy lakers

sp1derm00
01-21-2011, 12:54 PM
needs to be more consistent clearing the boards but hes been efficient offensively. Solid work guarding the paint.

Bynum does pretty well on the boards. When you have 3 rebounders of Bynum, Pau, and LO's quality, your boards really rely on luck of the bounce. If Pau or LO has slightly better positioning for a board, they will get it.

Also, if you notice during games, Bynum lets Kobe grab rebounds if he sees that Kobe can get it. Pau on the other hand, ALWAYS secures the board over Kobe and then passes it off to him. Odom also does this, but Odom can actually push the ball, so it doesn't matter.

Chronz
01-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Mark my words, once he hits his peak. Bynum will OWN the league

His lack of appreciation is the biggest reason people dont understand why Bron chose to join Wade. The ONLY way to match up talent for talent with the Lakers without joining an already established contender was to pair up with 2 guys who give him a head start in the talent department. Now if only Udonis and Miller can get acclimated it should be a hell of a playoffs

Hellcrooner
01-21-2011, 01:09 PM
Famous words before the next injury.

We should trade him ASAP

theres no definitive coming back to health for bigs who have gon trough various surgerys .

DOnt bother going on me like jackals.

I stated the same bout MIng this offseason and rockets fans went on me saying blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah bllah.

Look what happened.

Kobes a Killer
01-21-2011, 01:12 PM
What Chronz said :)

sp1derm00
01-21-2011, 01:13 PM
Famous words before the next injury.

We should trade him ASAP

theres no definitive coming back to health for bigs who have gon trough various surgerys .

DOnt bother going on me like jackals.

I stated the same bout MIng this offseason and rockets fans went on me saying blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah bllah.

Look what happened.

Yao's body was too big to withstand the NBA game. Bynum's injuries were "freak accidents" caused by Kobe and LO.

Kobe's was definitely a freak accident, if you watch the video, Kobe falls right into Bynum's knee at an awkward angle while Bynum was focusing on a rebound and didn't even brace for an impact to his legs.

beasted86
01-21-2011, 01:16 PM
10.7 PPG / 7.4 REB / 1.8 BLK 56% on 24 minutes....
I guess everyone deserves a dedicated thread nowadays.

I don't mean to sound like I'm hating, but isn't Shaq putting up basically the same stat line?

Hellcrooner
01-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Yao's body was too big to withstand the NBA game. Bynum's injuries were "freak accidents" caused by Kobe and LO.

Kobe's was definitely a freak accident, if you watch the video, Kobe falls right into Bynum's knee at an awkward angle while Bynum was focusing on a rebound and didn't even brace for an impact to his legs.

I know they were accidents but THE DAMAGE to his body is done regardless of that.

Ive been folowing the league for 25 years now and when you have SERIOUS injurys in your first years you rarely ( i dont remember a single name) get to be injury free the rest of your career, at best case scenario it slows you down EARLIER than it should ( in this case it woudl mean Bynum would start to be worthless in his mid 20s) at wost it breaks again and forces you to retire.
This problem is even WORSE when you are a big.
You can Check on the Waltons, Bowies, or Sampsons of history to see what i mean.
All of them looked ok FOR A WHILE after their first or second surgerys but eventually went down again.

I defiently woudl try to move him for a Hustle Center and an ok Pg that can stay in front of their man in defense and shoot threes ( basically our only flaws right now) while we can.-........if we can because im 50% sure that he woudl not pass the physicals to convince other teams gms to roll with the dice.

sp1derm00
01-21-2011, 01:25 PM
^ I guess if the Clippers came at us with a trade for Griffin, we shouldn't take him because he missed all of last year with a knee injury.

If you look at Bynum's game now, he uses much less athleticism. He clearly still has the explosiveness, as witnessed when he had that two handed tomahawk dunk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyhWMzwybCU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD5wuEbYHeE

Flashbacks of Prime Shaq... same exact thing happened. Offensive rebound by Kobe, Kobe hits up Shaq/Bynum for a two handed tomahawk. Eerily similar.

meloman1592
01-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Lakers forum........no1 else cares

Chronz
01-21-2011, 01:29 PM

I don't mean to sound like I'm hating, but isn't Shaq putting up basically the same stat line?

Check out his advanced stats and keep in mind hes been recovering from a long lay off while everyone else is up to speed.

Shaq started off the season great and has put up great #'s overall, at the beginning of the year I created a thread for him.

Klivlend
01-21-2011, 01:42 PM
^ I guess if the Clippers came at us with a trade for Griffin, we shouldn't take him because he missed all of last year with a knee injury.

If you look at Bynum's game now, he uses much less athleticism. He clearly still has the explosiveness, as witnessed when he had that two handed tomahawk dunk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyhWMzwybCU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD5wuEbYHeE

Flashbacks of Prime Shaq... same exact thing happened. Offensive rebound by Kobe, Kobe hits up Shaq/Bynum for a two handed tomahawk. Eerily similar.

Bit of a stretch. Shaq easily looks twice as explosive.

Lake_Show2416
01-21-2011, 01:42 PM
He's a great Center ...I put him top 3 in the league and he's looks like a beast

TRADe HIM WHILE the STOVES HOT... those knees scare the **** outta me

sp1derm00
01-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Bit of a stretch. Shaq easily looks twice as explosive.

Only because of the situation. Bynum was open and signaling Kobe for the pass... Shaq just ran in there and exploded. If you notice that after receiving the pass, Bynum covers a good distance rather quickly and effortlessly.

AirCanada15ORL
01-21-2011, 02:36 PM
idk Bynum's personality just defines someone I dont like and I easily forget that hes 7 feet tall...

shep33
01-21-2011, 03:30 PM
He's getting there physically, i think like another 2 weeks and he'll be back to being a top center in the league. His touch right now around the rim is kinda off at times, but he's getting it together.

Iron24th
01-21-2011, 03:32 PM

12.6pts/8.6rbs/2.2blks since he's starting and play 20+ min,not that bad when you got Pau and L.O around getting major minutes,I think you'll be pleased to have him on the Heat,right?

handle
01-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Bynum, explosive? Hardly. He's like a giant sloth, so stop the Shaq comparisons.

Even injury-free, Bynum will never be as dominant or explosive as Shaq was. He just doesn't have the mentality or the physical gifts. Watch him - he barely gets off the floor. Even on his "highlight" dunks, he bends his knees to give the appearance of getting some "air" and his long arms add to the illusion, but overall, his vertical isn't great (I don't care what his HS and draft tryouts said). Maybe it's his several knee injuries, maybe not.

He IS big, tall, and long and has some OK defensive and offensive skills, which all work in his favor, but quit overhyping him. Also, the closer he gets to 100%, the more he goes "all out" and the more physical stress he puts on his body, the closer he comes to another knee injury.

championships
01-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Not too strong. He barely came back and already injured his elbow.

superkegger
01-21-2011, 03:53 PM
What matters most, since he's been reinstated into the starting lineup, the Lakers are 10-3. While Lamar and Pau are a great combo, I think we saw that while Pau can play the pivot for periods, he can't hold up there for a season, and with relatively no depth there, it began to wear on Pau. Where Pau is more finese, Bynum is brute. His presence simply provides more deterence. After a poor December, they've rebounded in January thus far, because Bynum simply adds more quality depth to the bigs, and they've played much better. He's had a nice impact, and if he continues to get/stay healthy at the right time of year for once, it could go a long way for the Lakers title hopes.

Hoopsadvocate
01-21-2011, 03:59 PM
12.6pts/8.6rbs/2.2blks since he's starting and play 20+ min,not that bad when you got Pau and L.O around getting major minutes,I think you'll be pleased to have him on the Heat,right?

no doubt but we wouldnt make a pointless thread about it.

Iron24th
01-21-2011, 04:19 PM
no doubt but we wouldnt make a pointless thread about it.

I'm sure an Haslem thread was made months ago...pointless isn't it?

Hoopsadvocate
01-21-2011, 04:21 PM
I'm sure an Haslem thread was made months ago...pointless isn't it?

Very considering ive never seen it.

Bruno
01-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Mark my words, once he hits his peak. Bynum will OWN the league

His lack of appreciation is the biggest reason people dont understand why Bron chose to join Wade. The ONLY way to match up talent for talent with the Lakers without joining an already established contender was to pair up with 2 guys who give him a head start in the talent department. Now if only Udonis and Miller can get acclimated it should be a hell of a playoffs

Agreed. After watching the Heat/Lakers on Christmas I think Z is going to be really important if the Heat match up against the Lakers in the finals. His size seemed to really bother the Laker front court. Haslem will get out played if he has to match up against Pau or Bynum all series, he just doesn't have the size.

I get nervous every time the Lakers play Memphis. Bynum has a history of going down when The Lakers play the Griz.

Yeah, and Shaq is playing pretty damn good this season posting a PER over 18.0 on a brilliant TS% of .666. Advanced stats. Not to mention that Bynums body is essentially still in pre-season forum. Give him a month.

Bynum, explosive? Hardly. He's like a giant sloth, so stop the Shaq comparisons.

Even injury-free, Bynum will never be as dominant or explosive as Shaq was. He just doesn't have the mentality or the physical gifts. Watch him - he barely gets off the floor. Even on his "highlight" dunks, he bends his knees to give the appearance of getting some "air" and his long arms add to the illusion, but overall, his vertical isn't great (I don't care what his HS and draft tryouts said). Maybe it's his several knee injuries, maybe not.

He'll never be as dominant or explosive as prime Shaq. No big man ever was (combination of weight and explosiveness). But Bynum does have the physical gifts to be a regular at the all-star game. He has a wing span of 7'6, can run the floor, anchor a defense, and play off the box.

jeter4president
01-21-2011, 04:59 PM

yeah, ur right. bynum is much more normal sized than yao.

Tony_Starks
01-21-2011, 05:09 PM

For a player that isn't completely healthy and is basically the last option I'd say thats fairly impressive.....

Avenged
01-21-2011, 05:13 PM
Without looking at him offensively, his defense has been superb. He's constantly clogging the lane, altering and blocking shots.

For what the Lakers need, he gives us exactly what is expected of him. He has the offensive potential, but his defense is where it's at.

TheLaRagers
01-21-2011, 05:31 PM
Looks strong. He will continue to get better. Health is key.

The Final Boss
01-21-2011, 05:42 PM
I know they were accidents but THE DAMAGE to his body is done regardless of that.

Ive been folowing the league for 25 years now and when you have SERIOUS injurys in your first years you rarely ( i dont remember a single name) get to be injury free the rest of your career, at best case scenario it slows you down EARLIER than it should ( in this case it woudl mean Bynum would start to be worthless in his mid 20s) at wost it breaks again and forces you to retire.
You can Check on the Waltons, Bowies, or Sampsons of history to see what i mean.
All of them looked ok FOR A WHILE after their first or second surgerys but eventually went down again.

I defiently woudl try to move him for a Hustle Center and an ok Pg that can stay in front of their man in defense and shoot threes ( basically our only flaws right now) while we can.-........if we can because im 50% sure that he woudl not pass the physicals to convince other teams gms to roll with the dice.

Our?

KingPosey
01-21-2011, 05:49 PM
Looks like I get to make a demarcus cousins thread now if this is all it takes. YES!

SiR Lakers III
01-21-2011, 06:01 PM
If you don't care why bother opening the thread probably read a few posts then decided to post something like this. Bynum is an important asset to the NBA right now as far as "BIGS" go. Not too many of them and theres something special developing so please dont hate

Chronz
01-21-2011, 06:06 PM
ANY team would LOVE to take Bynum off the Lakers hands for a mere hustle center and defensive PG.

Anilyzer
01-21-2011, 07:06 PM

Baron Davis
Shaq
Magic Johnson

all guys who came back from serious knee injuries to play at a high level.

Willis Mgahee, the running back from university of Miami, had two serious knee injuries, and almost had his entire knee and leg removed during the title game against Ohio state--but he came back and performed as an all star level running back in the NFL.

the list goes on and on and on. It's ridiculous to say that just because somebody had knee surgery, they will never be able to play consistently at a high level.

Guys like Yao and Oden... I mean, I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV, but to me it looks like they have some kind of genetic abnormality, that they're connective tissue and/or bones aren't strong enough to support the immense size of their bodies. Or at least not enough to play in the NBA. If you look at all of their injuries, they were just stress injuries. They walked off the court with "soreness" and then miss the season or whatever.

Shawn Bradley, who suffered one or two dislocated knees early in the NBA, and was 7'6", came back and played many good years in the NBA and was quite durable.

Bynum doesn't seem to have the ultra-fragile bones and ligaments of a Yao or Oden, nor does he have the chronic foot problems of some other bigs.

All good signs.

From watching him play, I noticed that he was somewhat out of control with his body early on... which maybe made him more vulnerable to coming down on somebody's foot, or having Kobe drive a shoulder straight through his knee at high speed while he's hyper-extended. That kind of stuff doesn't happen to a Dennis Rodman, for example, because he is crazy athletic and always on balance and kind of guarding himself.

Bynum does start to look more balanced... not so gangly... not so out of control. Like he's maturing and feeling comfortable in his body... like his brain can talk to his feet more effectively or something... he bends his knees, doesn't come down on straight legs, doesn't lean way over to the side while going up for a rebound, etc. If I was the coach, I'd have somebody just training him all day only to jump and come down solid, and work on stances and lift weights a lot etc. Teach him karate or something, I don't know.

But he looks MUCH more solid now, and looks somewhat unstoppable when he gets the ball down low. If he catches the ball deep, it is 2 points virtually automatic. If Lakers find a rhythm with that, the SA, Miami, Boston are all going to have really difficult time against Lakers.

Bruno
01-21-2011, 07:20 PM
ANY team would LOVE to take Bynum off the Lakers hands for a mere hustle center and defensive PG.

Funny you mention that. Earlier in the season I was asking my buddies what they thought of a Bynum/Vujacic for Mo/Anderson V. trade.

Hellcrooner
01-21-2011, 07:21 PM
Our?

im a laker fan-.... so lakers is my team....

sp1derm00
01-21-2011, 07:59 PM
im a pau fan-.... so lakers is my team....

fixed

Teeboy1487
01-21-2011, 08:17 PM
I agree with Crooner. This might be the best time to trade him :hide:.

footballer2369
01-21-2011, 08:20 PM

IBleedPurple
01-21-2011, 08:30 PM
Wait 3 months, there will be another injury

Hellcrooner
01-21-2011, 08:43 PM
fixed

no, not fixed.
Ive been folowing the lakers since mid 80s.

Bruno
01-21-2011, 08:53 PM
If the Lakers can make a good deal for Bynum happen, then I say go for it. But I'm against giving him up for mediocre players.

TheHoopsProphet
01-21-2011, 10:23 PM
The only person you dont trade Bynum for is Chris Paul. You're essentially moving all of your issues and questions to the point guard position. For Bynum's ceiling, the value we'd get in return for him wouldn't match up. Bynum is a unique talent in a unique place and a stand out player in a shallow position in the league. I would trade him for a sure perennial-all-star, but keep him otherwise. I say roll the dice with Bynum, its not like the Lakers can't sign big name free agents. Why not just stick with him? Nothing better than a home-grown star

justinnum1
01-21-2011, 10:30 PM
Wait 3 months, there will be another injury

probably

Anilyzer
01-21-2011, 11:26 PM

I said that for a long time, trade Bynum, trade Bynum, trade him while he got value... but now we are only a few months from the playoffs starting... Bynum is looking strong; Bynum knows the Laker system; Bynum seems to get stronger and more durable and mature every season; Bynum fits well with the chemistry of the team.

I've kinda come around on this... while I don't hate the idea of trading him for good value (say, Bynum + Artest for Carmelo, or Bynum for Marc Gasol + PG, or something) it LOOKS like the Lakers are in real good shape, and it is probably the best play to just roll through the season with Bynum.

I've said it before, this is the 3Peat for ALL the marbles. Phil Jackson as GOAT... Lakers tying Chicago's feat of two 3peats... Kobe getting #6 to tie Jordan... passing Boston... maybe Phil's last season... Kobe saying he might not play too many more seasons...

I mean, this is it. This season is HUGE for the Lakers. This season is for immortality, for ultimate scoreboard and hall of fame credentials.

If Bynum is healthy and playing well... that helps the Laker cause a ton

Anilyzer
01-21-2011, 11:36 PM

sorry you're wrong. Shaq had a serious knee injury and came back 100% for a 3peat, and Magic had a serious season ending knee injury in his second year and came back also. There's just too many example of this to even begin counting. And surgeries have gotten better. And Bynum never tore an ACL or something like that.

He's playing strong; his knee is stable and probably considerably stronger than it was last year; plus he is getting really good coaching from the Lakers, and is probably doing tons of rehab strengthening exercises; plus he is less spazzy and more controlled; plus he just got 1/2 the season off, and is ready to ramp it up and roll into the playoffs.

He matches up WELL with Tim Duncan, and he will be virtually unguarded against a team like Miami in a 7 game series.

It's ******** to say he can't play past his mid twenties--- there's absolutely no reason to say that now realistically.

He already went straight up with Kendrick Perkins with both their weight, and when they came down it was Perkins who snapped in half, not Bynum.

superkegger
01-22-2011, 01:14 AM

If he stays healthy, and continues to improve, at the deadline, yeah, there probably won't be a better time to trade him.

BUT, he's got a hefty contract, and injury history. While he is a talented big, the injury history is still there. Who exactly is going to pony up what it takes to match his contract with the talent the Lakers would require for him? What team is going to say, "You know, despite his injury problems, we really like this guy, and we'll give up some quality players for him, because it's worth the gamble." Who?

Trading him is an intriguing idea in principle. But his value to the Lakers is probably higher than it is to most other teams, because he doesn't have pressure on him there. He can just be the 4th-5th best player and play a role and that's all. Sure he's paid a lot to do so, but a team like LA can "afford" it.

Another contender isn't going to trade for Bynum, because they'd have to give up too much, and LA isn't going to trade him to a fellow contender. Simple as that.

Which leaves lotto-ish teams to trade for him. What bad team out there is going to take the gamble that Bynum can be their 1st or 2nd best player and in a couple years help them be a top tier team? Is there anyone out there that really believes that this guy can be a guy they can build around? I doubt it.

He's got value, but I really don't think he's got as much value to anyone but the Lakers. I don't think they'd ever get equal value in a trade for him, especially not this year. If the Nuggets can't get more than Chandler/Fields and a pick for Melo, can the Lakers really get more for Bynum? I doubt it. And we've seen that he really helps them. Probably not worth his contract, but the Lakers have a window here over the next 3 years, and they need to exploit it. They're simply not going to get a package of players for Bynum that gives them a better chance at winning over the next 3 years or so than Bynum does.

Simply put, Bynum is much more valuable to the Lakers than his trade market value is.

idrinkpepsi
01-22-2011, 02:52 AM
Lakers forum

Iron24th
01-22-2011, 03:06 AM

Grant Hill and Amar'e Stoudemire showed it's possible to recover and play at a high level then.

AsiandudePH
01-22-2011, 04:32 AM
Grant Hill and Amar'e Stoudemire showed it's possible to recover and play at a high level then.

Don't forget Griffin.:clap:

And then there's Oden.:injury:

Anilyzer
01-22-2011, 04:43 AM
If he stays healthy, and continues to improve, at the deadline, yeah, there probably won't be a better time to trade him.

BUT, he's got a hefty contract, and injury history. While he is a talented big, the injury history is still there. Who exactly is going to pony up what it takes to match his contract with the talent the Lakers would require for him? What team is going to say, "You know, despite his injury problems, we really like this guy, and we'll give up some quality players for him, because it's worth the gamble." Who?

Trading him is an intriguing idea in principle. But his value to the Lakers is probably higher than it is to most other teams, because he doesn't have pressure on him there. He can just be the 4th-5th best player and play a role and that's all. Sure he's paid a lot to do so, but a team like LA can "afford" it.

Another contender isn't going to trade for Bynum, because they'd have to give up too much, and LA isn't going to trade him to a fellow contender. Simple as that.

Which leaves lotto-ish teams to trade for him. What bad team out there is going to take the gamble that Bynum can be their 1st or 2nd best player and in a couple years help them be a top tier team? Is there anyone out there that really believes that this guy can be a guy they can build around? I doubt it.

He's got value, but I really don't think he's got as much value to anyone but the Lakers. I don't think they'd ever get equal value in a trade for him, especially not this year. If the Nuggets can't get more than Chandler/Fields and a pick for Melo, can the Lakers really get more for Bynum? I doubt it. And we've seen that he really helps them. Probably not worth his contract, but the Lakers have a window here over the next 3 years, and they need to exploit it. They're simply not going to get a package of players for Bynum that gives them a better chance at winning over the next 3 years or so than Bynum does.

Simply put, Bynum is much more valuable to the Lakers than his trade market value is.

Yes ^^^

It's really somewhat of a twisted situation... I was completely sure that they should trade Bynum... even during the Finals, when he played great I was thinking "yes, win-win" because I saw his trade value going straight up. I really thought they'd trade him. Then when he sat out half the season I thought it was absurd that they didn't find a way to trade him.

But now he's playing so good... you have to factor in the probability that he'll play right through the season healthy for the most part, and be immensely valuable to the Lakers. In a sense, when he plays like he is starting to play, he's irreplaceable. He is like an Hakeem at times on defense, and from 2-4 feet is completely automatic.

His projected value in the near term (this season) for the Lakers is extremely high... but his long term value is more of a question mark. I mean, if he is sitting on the bench, then any trade for him is good for the Lakers--but if he is playing really well, then there are few players that bring the equal value.

And it's hard to know what trades the Lakers could actually make for him, if they were so inclined. I noticed that, the same people who were saying "we'd NEVER trade Bynum for [CP3, Deron, Carmelo, Lopez, Gasol]" etc, were never able to give a good example of a trade that another team would actually make.

So in other words, from a certain vantage point, the Lakers would lose value trading Bynum, even if it was for a very elite player; but on the other hand, no team is going to send an elite player for Bynum anyway.

so the result is, he doesn't get traded. But the good news for the Lakers is, that Bynum is looking really good right now.