PDA

View Full Version : NBA Center's

HouRealCoach
01-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Whats wrong with them? Bynum, Bogut, Lopez, Marc Gasol, and Kaman's numbers are all down from last year... Not to mention Oden (with his injuries)

Hibbert is growing but at a very slow pace, Cousins is very immature and doesnt look like he'll have a job after his contract is up, Thabeet has become NOTHING in the NBA, McGee is growing at a slow pace also...

Camby, Shaq, Wallace are doing as veterans should :D

Dwight is really the only star center in the league at the moment tho

I consider Amare, Duncan, Pau, Nene as PF's

Is the Center position cursed this era? because I look at the recruit classes ands draft sheets and see no upside either

irishkid1691
01-20-2011, 12:39 PM
amare is a center. wilson chandler plays the 4 for the knicks
other than that they really are the only two huge stars i can think of

The Jokemaker
01-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Thabeet doesn't get a lot of playing time and everyone knew he was raw when he came into the league. If anyone expected him to become a beast right off the bat was sorely mistaken.

Also, Gasol is not the primary lowpost scorer on the Grizzlies. Zach Randolph is having another All-Star season and is the main lowpost threat on that team. So it's not unexpected to see a drop in his numbers but he is still playing very well this season.

asandhu23
01-20-2011, 12:40 PM
NBA rules favor the little men.

Hellcrooner
01-20-2011, 01:38 PM
Sgs and Pgs being extra hoggign extra chuky lately.

Avenged
01-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Bynum plays with a all-star PF, a superstar SG, and a bunch of good role players..

That may result in his numbers, also since he just got back from injury. His defense is GREAT though, I cannot stress that enough.

OrderOfCook
01-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Maybe the problem is that people continue to use the arcane positional assignments which makes it easy to pigeon-hole a category.

How about this, the NBA is made up of ball-handling guards, wings and bigs. There is no 1-2-3-4-5 spots anymore and haven't been for at least a decade. Virtually every player in the NBA can play at least 2 of the original positions, and lots of wings can play the 2,3,4. That, in turn, makes it completely irrelevant to call them one or the other. It's just guards, wings, bigs.

Hellcrooner
01-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Maybe the problem is that people continue to use the arcane positional assignments which makes it easy to pigeon-hole a category.

How about this, the NBA is made up of ball-handling guards, wings and bigs. There is no 1-2-3-4-5 spots anymore and haven't been for at least a decade. Virtually every player in the NBA can play at least 2 of the original positions, and lots of wings can play the 2,3,4. That, in turn, makes it completely irrelevant to call them one or the other. It's just guards, wings, bigs.

No the current positions are

CHuking Guard that some times tries to pass the ball

Chuking Hogging Guard.

Small Ballhog

Tall Ballhog.

Dude that is there just to rebound and wack Chuking guards that try to go inside.

h2r09
01-20-2011, 01:54 PM
the back to the basket portion of a big mans game is fading into obscurity, and they are all being taught to have jumpshots.

wileyisTOFU
01-20-2011, 02:05 PM
I blame europe

Bravo95
01-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Can't speak on the rest but Horford's PPG, FG%, FT% and APG are all up from last year - he could be a 20-10 player next season. The idea of guarding Shaq made most would-be true centers have a change of heart, I guess

TChef02
01-20-2011, 02:19 PM
amare is a center. wilson chandler plays the 4 for the knicks
other than that they really are the only two huge stars i can think of

He plays Center for the Knicks but he's a PF by nature. The lack of size in NY has forced him to play C but that's not his natural position. Kirk Hinrich plays SF in Washington a lot but he's NOT a SF haha.

To me the defense in the NBA is extremely suspect compared to what it was in the 80's and early 90's so the league became flooded with guards and forwards who can create their own shot and get up and down the floor quickly which hurts the development of the bigger guys who can play on the blocks.

The funny thing is the teams that seem to win with consistency are teams with centers and pf's that can play with their back to the basket like L.A., San Antonio, Boston, Miami (with Shaq), Detroit (When Wallace was a defensive player of the year), etc. Since Jordan left Chicago I think every team that has won the finals had a big man that could either score almost at will or could shut down opponents in the paint. It surprises me that with that obvious fact so many teams still continue to build their rosters around athletic ability and a run a gun style of play rather than fundamentals and skill.

sep11ie
01-20-2011, 02:21 PM
Is it wierd that one of the top defensive centers in the league is 6'6"?

Hellcrooner
01-20-2011, 02:26 PM
I blame europe

Care to explain.?

Because here in euroe we still use back to the basket centers all the time....

macc
01-20-2011, 02:28 PM

I agree. People say "where are all the Centers these days?" I say, they're here, they are Staudamear, Duncan, Gasol, Jefferson. They are just more adverse now.

Big men these days don't just sit in the paint anymore, they learn some ball handling skills as well as a jump shot. It's the evolution of the NBA. I don't think we'll see many pure C's anymore. As dominant as Dwight Howard is downlow is having to adjust his offensive game and develop and jumpshot. It's not the same NBA as it was 10-15 years ago.

fadedmario
01-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Greg Monroe has been great since becoming a starter!!

AIRMAR72
01-20-2011, 02:52 PM
Care to explain.?

Because here in euroe we still use back to the basket centers all the time....I AGREE euro guys can ball there game really has evolve the problem here i think theres just not enuff legit 6/10 -7 footers around on US soil now back in days for some strange reason we had more taller SKILLED players in league 20-30yrs ago every team had 2-3 legit 7footers were in a diffrent era but these young guys today still get the job done

MiKE-THE-FUTURE
01-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Well Okc needs a Center :)

HouRealCoach
01-20-2011, 03:11 PM
I agree. People say "where are all the Centers these days?" I say, they're here, they are Staudamear, Duncan, Gasol, Jefferson. They are just more adverse now.

Big men these days don't just sit in the paint anymore, they learn some ball handling skills as well as a jump shot. It's the evolution of the NBA. I don't think we'll see many pure C's anymore. As dominant as Dwight Howard is downlow is having to adjust his offensive game and develop and jumpshot. It's not the same NBA as it was 10-15 years ago.

They are forced to play center becuase there are no true centers on their squads... Amare didnt play Center when he played alongside Shaq and Lopez, Duncan didnt play Center along with Robinson, Mohammed, Nesterovic, Elson, Oberto, Gasol didnt play Center alongside Wright or Bynum, I never watched him on Timberwolves and C's but if he played Center there it isnt liked he helped them win much by doing so and also outside of him, Okur and Milsap Idk any other Jazz Big men

Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, Mourning, Mutombo, and Shaq of the 90s would wipe out these small frontcourts nowadays

Crackadalic
01-20-2011, 03:21 PM
A lot of the centers today are really pf nowadays. Noah Horford Jeffersion Amare Lee Duncan are all force to play at that spot because of the lack of talent at that position

GreatMustachio1
01-20-2011, 03:24 PM
times are changing. centers are just on teams to get rebounds and get the ball to the playmakers.

blueplanet
01-20-2011, 03:41 PM
the back to the basket portion of a big mans game is fading into obscurity, and they are all being taught to have jumpshots.

Reminds me of Shaq! Ah good ol' days!

Klivlend
01-20-2011, 03:59 PM
Is it wierd that one of the top defensive centers in the league is 6'6"?

I'm drawing a blank...please enlighten me. Who?

gilly
01-20-2011, 04:08 PM
^ Chuck Hayes

drama1386
01-20-2011, 04:09 PM
bogut has not been 100% all season, still feeling the effects from his arm injury last season. plus, he's been sick for the past month with a viral infection so that takes into account his medicore play lately...

sep11ie
01-20-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm drawing a blank...please enlighten me. Who?

^ Chuck Hayes

yup

BradytoGronkTD
01-20-2011, 04:13 PM
well if u look at it if Yao was ok, Oden never got hurt and Thabeet lived up to his draft pick we could have 4 superstar centers.

smith&wesson
01-20-2011, 04:15 PM
bargs is a beast on the offensive end
22 ppg 6 rpg 2 apg

howard is a beast on both ends
21 ppg 13 rpg 2.2 bpg

al horfod producing very nice numbers
16 ppg 10 rpg 3.4 apg

joakim noah very consistant
14 ppg 11.7 rpg 2.7 apg

brook lopez still young and improving
19 ppg 6 rpg 1.5 bpg

Players like shaq and yao are not very common. we have grown used to seeing these crazy large big men who dominate based on size but they are really a rare comododity. shaq was rare for even his time so its no suprize that we dont have a league full of big men like him. howard is of acception too, you just dont see ppl that big and athletic its very uncommon.

mttwlsn16
01-20-2011, 04:30 PM

Chuking Hogging Guard.

Small Ballhog

Tall Ballhog.

Dude that is there just to rebound and wack Chuking guards that try to go inside.

lol

Phenomenonsense
01-20-2011, 04:34 PM
Deandre Jordan and Greg Monroe seem to be two nice young Centers this year. Cousins is definitely a big body down low if he can stay out of effin foul trouble.

AlvaROD
01-20-2011, 05:54 PM
NBA rules favor the little men.

^this, The league allowes a zone defense, and included the same stupid 3 second rule as there is on the offensive end for guys in the paint. The league did this so that a big guy can't clog up the lane (which is really the point of a zone defense) and keep the slick offense from doing some dipsy-doo dunk-aroo (did I really just quote Dick Vitale?). Plus, they put that ring on the floor beneath the hoop (what genius came up with that, something that can't be found in international, college, or high school ball) where you can't take a charge, again to encourage dunks. How about letting the game be played the way it should be, not tayloring the rules to make it flashier.

Another thing. The league tries to "speed up" the game by reducing the shot clock to 24 seconds (a full 11 seconds less than in college) and reducing the backcourt time to 8 seconds (2 less than college). This does not speed up the game it just leaves coaches NO time to set up an offense if they so choose; now there is no choice but for some guard to launch a 3 and hurt the shooting percentage, because there is no TIME for more than one pick and roll. To make the game more enjoyable, let the NBA players run some semblance of an offense, and give them time to do it.

Klivlend
01-20-2011, 07:16 PM
^ Chuck Hayes

yup

But of course! The one and only. Thank you.

sunsfan88
01-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Marcin Gortat.

Anilyzer
01-20-2011, 07:50 PM

Chuking Hogging Guard.

Small Ballhog

Tall Ballhog.

you forgot:

"the facilitator" -- the Luke Walton type guy who just runs around on the court watching the coach and being careful not to make a mistake; moving without the ball; passing the ball within 1 second of touching it; diving for any loose ball; grunting with effort every time he gets burned on D or boxed out.

"the kickout" -- doesn't commit or get position in hi or low post, so he kicks the ball out to guard at the 28 ft line with 2 seconds on the shot clock.

Raph12
01-21-2011, 01:57 AM
Injuries...