PDA

View Full Version : Does Denver actually think they have leverage?

NYSpirit1
01-19-2011, 07:18 PM
This should not be merged with the Prokhorov thread.

It's a question on it's own.

It's quite obvious Denver has been blind and they think that Carmelo is on a 2 or 3 year contract and are trying to be greedy and get everything they can for Carmelo.

They don't have leverage. At all. Especially now that the Nets dropped out.

The Nets aren't in the race anymore. The Bulls don't want to be. And it's just the Knicks, who the Nuggets could have just been negotiating with this entire time.

The Nuggets got what they deserved. Just like the Cavaliers, they didn't put the pieces around Carmelo they needed to. And now they are pretending to themselves they have leverage, when they don't.

Anyway, Chandler, Fields and an expiring Curry is a way better package than an underachieving Favors and a bunch of late first round picks. The Nuggets are just a pathetic organization. This is like the second version of the Cavs.

It's just stupid when organizations like the Cavs, Raptors, Suns and Nuggets can't accept their star wants to leave, so they are ignorant and stubborn. It's just annoying. Bosh and Amare could have been traded for years, but the Raptors and Suns refused. Now Carmelo could have been gone in September, but the Nuggets dragged this out.

SteBO
01-19-2011, 07:21 PM
I never though Denver had much leverage here, because the only way Denver could have pulled the trigger was Melo agreeing to an extension. That was the biggest factor in all this.

ChiSox219
01-19-2011, 07:23 PM
CBA expires after this season.

Nuggets have some leverage.

They've also put together a lot of talent to help Melo win.

bal_ravens
01-19-2011, 07:27 PM
Zzzzzz.

TheWatcher34
01-19-2011, 07:27 PM
IPost.

kingkenny01
01-19-2011, 07:34 PM
i feel bad for melo a choice between d rose's ***** or amare's *****

Y2JOrdan
01-19-2011, 07:37 PM
denver did surrond melo with some talent, but sadly they ran into more talented teams like the lakers and spurs; i never thought they had any levearge to begin with lol

GodsSon
01-19-2011, 07:38 PM

It's quite obvious Denver has been blind and they think that Carmelo is on a 2 or 3 year contract and are trying to be greedy and get everything they can for Carmelo.

The Nets aren't in the race anymore. The Bulls don't want to be. And it's just the Knicks, who the Nuggets could have just been negotiating with this entire time.

The Nuggets got what they deserved. Just like the Cavaliers, they didn't put the pieces around Carmelo they needed to. And now they are pretending to themselves they have leverage, when they don't.

Anyway, Chandler, Fields and an expiring Curry is a way better package than an underachieving Favors and a bunch of late first round picks. The Nuggets are just a pathetic organization. This is like the second version of the Cavs.

It's just stupid when organizations like the Cavs, Raptors, Suns and Nuggets can't accept their star wants to leave, so they are ignorant and stubborn. It's just annoying. Bosh and Amare could have been traded for years, but the Raptors and Suns refused. Now Carmelo could have been gone in September, but the Nuggets dragged this out.

Didn't put pieces around him??? They signed Andre Miller who they flipped for Iverson and then Billups, traded for Kenyon Martin, Afflalo and JR Smith, drafted Ty Lawson two years ago and signed Harrington this past off-season...not to mention having bigs like Camby, Nene and Birdman...the Nuggets have given him MORE than enough pieces to work with and yet Carmelo hasn't been able to do anything with them (barring a WCF appearance two years ago)...The reason? He's simply not good enough to will his team to win and is vastly overrated.

Y2JOrdan
01-19-2011, 07:38 PM
i feel bad for melo a choice between d rose's b+tch or amare's b+tch
one or the other :laugh:

hotpotato1092
01-19-2011, 07:44 PM
It's not that they didn't put talent around him, it's that they didn't do it the right way. The biggest failure of both the Nuggets and the Cavs was attempting to win too quickly to appease their stars, rather than doing it the right way. Look at the OKC model, they're in a position not just to compete now, but to do so for the next decade, because they did it right. They built through the draft, never took on bad contracts, and never tried to skip a phase in the rebuilding process. That's why their star stayed. I hope this is a lesson to future teams with young stars, do it the right way not the fast way.

BigBlueCrew
01-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Denver has leverage.

Depends on how Donnie Walsh wants them to bend over, bend backwards or forwards

John Walls Era
01-19-2011, 07:48 PM

Your thinking is extremely simple. If the Cavs know Lebron has only 2 seasons left, there is still NO WAY they trade him. You lose millions in tickets, merchandise and endorsements.

:laugh: at the fact that Bosh and Amare were for sure going to leave 3 years ago....

Keep threads like this in the Knicks forum.

bholly
01-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Denver actually has plenty of leverage. We know that Melo wants his extension AND to go the the Knicks, but nobody knows yet which he values more than the other. It's still possible that he'd take the money in Denver rather than give up the money and sign in NYK.

We also know the Knicks could have trouble getting him in the offseason due to their cap figure and the new CBA coming in, so Denver know they should be able to get at least something back in an off-season sign and trade.

With all that in place, if NYK lowball Denver they could very well just hold onto him, try and make another run this year, hope he decides to sign the extension and stay rather than walk in FA, and if worst comes to worst and he decides to walk, they can sign and trade him for not that much less than whatever package NYK are offering already.

Seems like plenty of leverage to me.

Khalifa21
01-19-2011, 07:56 PM
Denver has leverage.

Depends on how Donnie Walsh wants them to bend over, bend backwards or forwards

:laugh2:

Denver has nothing now... The Knicks can offer whatever they want in the knowledge that Melo will only re-sign with them... Don't trade him to us? Fine, we'll get him in the offseason...

Khalifa21
01-19-2011, 07:57 PM
Denver actually has plenty of leverage. We know that Melo wants his extension AND to go the the Knicks, but nobody knows yet which he values more than the other. It's still possible that he'd take the money in Denver rather than give up the money and sign in NYK.

We also know the Knicks could have trouble getting him in the offseason due to their cap figure and the new CBA coming in, so Denver know they should be able to get at least something back in an off-season sign and trade.

With all that in place, if NYK lowball Denver they could very well just hold onto him, try and make another run this year, hope he decides to sign the extension and stay rather than walk in FA, and if worst comes to worst and he decides to walk, they can sign and trade him for not that much less than whatever package NYK are offering already.

After everything that's happened do you really think him re-signing in Denver is a possibility?

John Walls Era
01-19-2011, 07:59 PM
:laugh2:

Denver has nothing now... The Knicks can offer whatever they want in the knowledge that Melo will only re-sign with them... Don't trade him to us? Fine, we'll get him in the offseason...

I heard this before....

Just saying.

AddiX
01-19-2011, 08:01 PM

Your nuts dude, Melo is already halfway out the door. You keep him there hes gonna stand around and shoot 3's all game.

The only leverage they have is his extension. It's huge leverage, but if Melo sticks to his guns about where he will and won't sign, there is really nothing they can do.

Melo will get traded, and he will sign an extension one way or another. Knicks fans saying well get him in the off-season are delusional.

$KnicksAndKobe$
01-19-2011, 08:02 PM
I heard this before....

Just saying.

Before there were like 5 teams competing. Now there's basically only one team with cap space for him, it's a different situation.

Khalifa21
01-19-2011, 08:03 PM
I heard this before....

Just saying.

Please, please, PLEASE don't try and compare this to the LeBron situation. Never did LeBron once state he wanted to play for New York. Melo has made it clear as daylight he wants to play for the Knicks.

There is absolutely no correlation between the two scenarios.

Flash3
01-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Please, please, PLEASE don't try and compare this to the LeBron situation. Never did LeBron once state he wanted to play for New York. Melo has made it clear as daylight he wants to play for the Knicks.

when

D Roses Bulls
01-19-2011, 08:09 PM
the nuggets do have leverage. well for one with the uncertainty of whats going to happen this summer and the fact that they could play the bulls and knicks against each other. both of those teams aren't going to trade unless they know he is going to sign a contract extention and ive read that the owner doesnt wanna do business with new york really for some reason. so if the knicks were to get him, i think they will have to give up quite a bit or they might ship him off to chicago and the knicks might give up a lot to keep chicago from getting him, but who knows. I just want it to be over with.

John Walls Era
01-19-2011, 08:12 PM

No Melo has never ever said that. Articles say that they "think" Melo wants to (which he could). I was playing Devil's Adv. tbh. But I do recall Lebron wearing those I love NY shoes and everyone was basically saying its a sure thing.... funny how quickly some forget.

Geargo Wallace
01-19-2011, 08:13 PM
I think Melo wants this season to finish soooooooooooo badly.

BigBlueCrew
01-19-2011, 08:21 PM
No Melo has never ever said that. Articles say that they "think" Melo wants to (which he could). I was playing Devil's Adv. tbh. But I do recall Lebron wearing those I love NY shoes and everyone was basically saying its a sure thing.... funny how quickly some forget.

You make seem as though Lebron is the most upfront and honest person in the world. If Knicks fans thought he was coming it was an honest mistake from a dishonest person. Now we know how two-faced he can get.

"I don't know what contraction means" -- Yeah right

"That tweet didn't come from me" -- Uh huh

You gonna hold it over our heads forever?

baghdadbob
01-19-2011, 08:40 PM
denver has leverage.

Depends on how donnie walsh wants them to bend over, bend backwards or forwards

rotflmao!

bholly
01-19-2011, 08:57 PM
After everything that's happened do you really think him re-signing in Denver is a possibility?

Sure. This is from an SI guy who interviewed Melo last week:

The last option would be for Anthony to relent and sign the three-year, $65 million extension offered to him by Denver. This would be difficult for all sides to swallow, including fans of the Nuggets who for months have been hearing reports that Anthony wants out.
But in my interview with Anthony last week, he never explicitly ruled out re-signing with the Nuggets, and he and his agent, Leon Rose, have worked to maintain a decent relationship with the team. To repeat: Anthony has acknowledged that signing the $65 million extension is his goal. If the Nuggets refuse to send him to New York or Chicago because they don't like what they're receiving in the exchange, and if Anthony doesn't like the identity of the team that is offering Denver the best trade on a rental basis, then what's to stop him from re-signing with the only team he has known? Because if he doesn't sign the $65 million extension before July, he will never be able to sign it thereafter.
Source:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/ian_thomsen/01/19/carmelo.deal.off/index.html

Almost everything we know has been media-driven and at least part speculation. We don't know what Melo really wants.

And even if he doesn't agree to sign the extension now, they can still hold onto him past the trade deadline in hopes he'll change his mind. The less the Knicks offer, the more likely that becomes.

If the Nuggets think he wants the extension bad enough to stay in Denver, or that the Knicks want him bad enough to break the bank getting him in an offseason sign and trade, then Denver have absolutely no rush, and plenty of leverage.

LA_Raiders
01-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Den will lower their asking price and he will be traded to NJ... Trust me

bholly
01-19-2011, 09:40 PM
^^ Also still a possibility if it really is Prokhorov just deciding to pull out. If he pulled out because he doesn't think Melo will sign the extension, then they won't get back in it unless they're told otherwise.
There's no real reason for Melo to allow a Nets trade, though, and there's been no indication so far that he would.

king4day
01-19-2011, 09:42 PM
not anymore.
It might be why Melo's agents are trying to get the Bulls involved. Denver Might have asked them to do whatever they can to get something else going. Otherwise they will be forced to deal with NY or no one at all.

masalex1205
01-19-2011, 09:52 PM
didn't put pieces around him??? They signed andre miller who they flipped for iverson and then billups, traded for kenyon martin, afflalo and jr smith, drafted ty lawson two years ago and signed harrington this past off-season...not to mention having bigs like camby, nene and birdman...the nuggets have given him more than enough pieces to work with and yet carmelo hasn't been able to do anything with them (barring a wcf appearance two years ago)...the reason? He's simply not good enough to will his team to win and is vastly overrated.

+1

bholly
01-19-2011, 09:53 PM
not anymore.
It might be why Melo's agents are trying to get the Bulls involved. Denver Might have asked them to do whatever they can to get something else going. Otherwise they will be forced to deal with NY or no one at all.

NJ is still definitely a possibility. Prokhorov hasn't bound them to anything. They were HIGH on Melo. If there comes a point that they think they can get back in the game for a better price, then there's no way they're not doing it just because he said they weren't going to. And that's only if they're genuine about pulling out - it's entirely possible he still has every intention of getting him, and this is just a negotiating tactic.

Bornknick73
01-19-2011, 10:02 PM
Denver needs to stop being so vindictive and stubborn and just trade him to us already.

Chandler is a player very much on the rise and hes only 23. Fields is a do everything kinda player and hes 22, Currys fat *** is a 11 mil lottery ticket and we can probably get 2 first rounders.

All the Knicks have is young players with potential and we can come up with the draft picks they want and we give them salary cap relief.

Everything they are asking for, they just dont want to trade him to us out of spite. They dont want to send him exactly where he wants to go to show they are in control.

And if they wait past the trade dealine they are gona get even less in a off season S&T when we can just sign him outright. Stop being stubborn.

Chandler is a perfect team player, he has class, hes quiet and hes a hard worker. I hate to even want to trade him but....

Bornknick73
01-19-2011, 10:05 PM
NJ is still definitely a possibility. Prokhorov hasn't bound them to anything. They were HIGH on Melo. If there comes a point that they think they can get back in the game for a better price, then there's no way they're not doing it just because he said they weren't going to. And that's only if they're genuine about pulling out - it's entirely possible he still has every intention of getting him, and this is just a negotiating tactic.

Its not gonna happen, Proky is the new Steinbrenner. If he went public and said **** you very much, I dont see him going back on those words.

bholly
01-19-2011, 10:10 PM
Its not gonna happen, Proky is the new Steinbrenner. If he went public and said **** you very much, I dont see him going back on those words.

Maybe, but I don't think anyone knows enough about him yet to know if that's true.

Also, as an objective, unbiased observer, I can tell you that what the Knicks are offering is not as good as what the Nets are offering, or what others could possibly offer. There are a lot of good, genuine reasons for the Nuggets not to have traded him to the Knicks. It's not spite.

dangrant75
01-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Does anyone really think the Knicks can get a potential lottery first rounder for Anthony Randolph? Azubuike? I just don't see it unless it's with a team slated for mid to late 1st round, and Denver wants lottery picks. Or at least early to mid picks.
I get the feeling NJ felt that Denver knew he wouldn't go there, but they needed a partner to drive up the price a bit. The ole Yankee/Red Sox tactic.

xxplayerxx23
01-19-2011, 10:47 PM
They have some levarge. They can say **** you im ganna call your bluff. Not trade him and see if he leaves ALL that money on the TABLE. I dont think he leaves alll that money on the table and would want to do A sign and trade to get the extra money. Thats just me. Say you know what screw this the knicks ganna try and lowball us lets just keep him and do a sign and trade melo is going to want to do IMO if he isnt traded he will resign because it is all about the money

WizFan3
01-19-2011, 11:17 PM
wizards will prob get into they have pieces to offer

faze38
01-19-2011, 11:47 PM
Didn't put pieces around him??? They signed Andre Miller who they flipped for Iverson and then Billups, traded for Kenyon Martin, Afflalo and JR Smith, drafted Ty Lawson two years ago and signed Harrington this past off-season...not to mention having bigs like Camby, Nene and Birdman...the Nuggets have given him MORE than enough pieces to work with and yet Carmelo hasn't been able to do anything with them (barring a WCF appearance two years ago)...The reason? He's simply not good enough to will his team to win and is vastly overrated.

Yes I will agree that the Nuggets put talent around Melo but they never put better talent around Melo then the Lakers and Spurs did for Kobe and Duncan. The thing about were Melo played in the West is that he had to go thru Kobe and Duncan and he didn't have enough talent around him to beat them. Also the other part about the Nuggets talent is that they are always injured come playoff time and the only time they weren't they made it to the WCF if not for a few bone head plays they could have gone to the finals.

Crackadalic
01-20-2011, 12:06 AM

A couple plays here and there in they could have went to the finals that year. Sadly thats behind them now

sunsfan88
01-20-2011, 01:13 AM

You have no idea what your talking about in regard to the Amare situation.

I selfishly wish they resigned him to a big deal but in all honesty the management knows he's not a max player.

Amare is a dynamic scorer. That's about it. He's not a good rebounder, not a good defender, not a good passer either. Plus Amare is extremely fragile. NY will learn this the hard way.

There's a big man in Toronto that's very similar to him. Excellent scorer but below average at everything else....

evadatam5150
01-20-2011, 01:31 AM

When you have the piece that other teams covet or want then you have leverage.. Simple supply and demand quotient.. Denver has all the leverage and can decide to do as they see fit even if it means asking too much in return.. Obviously they hurt their own chances of moving melo but that choice is theirs to make and not any other teams..

THE MTL
01-20-2011, 01:44 AM
DEN leverage is disappearing more and more each day. The closer it gets to the deadline, the less they have. Pretty soon they'll just be clinging to the fact, that he can get 65 million guaranteed while the open market with the new CBA agreement has no guarantees.

Mudvayne91
01-20-2011, 01:51 AM

So let me get this straight? You decided to make a thread just to ****** how stupid Denver is? Fantastic.

Mudvayne91
01-20-2011, 02:04 AM
I know the whole CBA situation is a little sticky, but I've heard some talks of a possible franchise tag. Not sure how it'd work or if Melo would be eligible, but it's a possibility, so he may not be able to walk for free after this year.

However, the Nugs control his rights till the end of the season. They can tell him if he wants that extension, here are his possible destinations. There has been multiple reports saying he would like that extension.

So yeah, it's not as if they have zero leverage.

IversonIsKrazy
01-20-2011, 02:32 AM
Feel bad for the Nugz organization to be honest. They put great talent around him. But always ran into teams like Lakers or Spurs. 2 years ago, could've been something special for the Nugz. I still think if they keep Melo, and stay healthy, they can make a deep run, but eventually run into Spurs or Lakers. Denver did their best, but always had dynasty's to compete with.

Metsboi69
01-20-2011, 02:41 AM

Billy Martin anybody?

colinskik
01-20-2011, 02:41 AM
You have no idea what your talking about in regard to the Amare situation.

I selfishly wish they resigned him to a big deal but in all honesty the management knows he's not a max player.

Amare is a dynamic scorer. That's about it. He's not a good rebounder, not a good defender, not a good passer either. Plus Amare is extremely fragile. NY will learn this the hard way.

There's a big man in Toronto that's very similar to him. Excellent scorer but below average at everything else....
Compare Amare's stats with Bargnani's stats and then get back to us.

Amare is tied for #3 in the league in blocked shots. Now I'm not saying he's a defensive monster, but he ain't no Bargnani ... get that straight, homie.

Mudvayne91
01-20-2011, 03:39 AM
For those that think Melo will sign as a FA, it may not be as likely as you might think.

Leon Rose (Melo's agent) and his agency are set to lose out on 6.5 million if Melo doesn't sign that extension. I don't think this changes Melo's stance with Denver, but they'll probably do all they can to push a trade to a team he'll sign long-term with.

MackShock
01-20-2011, 04:32 AM
denver is definitely asking way too much

robdizzle3
01-20-2011, 06:00 AM
The Nuggets are losing leverage as the day goes... Melo isnt coming back, barring a big time trade not involving Melo, they arent winning a title either, so get what you can now... The package just went down 2 items for Melo, because the Nuggets are getting greedy... They've got to be smart here.

flclfanman
01-20-2011, 06:05 AM
THE Nuggets got Greedy, plain and simple. They were trying to get 3+ draft picks, Favors, AND Harris.They even had the balls to threaten NJ to back out if they didn't keep the talks private (kinda too late for that :facepalm:) NJ called their bluff and made Denver look stupid.

Now they'll be lucky to get any real value outta Melo b/c Chicago wont deal, don't believe the hype.

sunsfan88
01-20-2011, 06:09 AM
Compare Amare's stats with Bargnani's stats and then get back to us.

Amare is tied for #3 in the league in blocked shots. Now I'm not saying he's a defensive monster, but he ain't no Bargnani ... get that straight, homie.

My bad. Amare is also very athletic.

There. Happy?

nolin
01-20-2011, 06:35 AM

you must be a nets fan really. Do you honestly think its denver? Hell no. its melo. he will not sign an extention with the nets . that is the reason for this trade not going through. come on would you want to play for a 10 and 30 team?

Antipod
01-20-2011, 08:11 AM
The only leverage Denver has is that the CBA is this summer ... and by refusing every trade and becoming FA, Melo could lose a lot of $. Either then that, there is nothing...(but he`ll recover the losses in NYC)
I think sooner or later they will accept and offer around Gallo or Wilson+pick(s)+Curry.