PDA

View Full Version : Do Players on Losing Teams Deserve a Place in the ASG?

Swashcuff
01-16-2011, 09:11 AM
Do they.

IMO YES they surely do.

The ASG is a popularity contest. If it wasn't the fans vote would not count for %100 of the starters vote. As much as I love A.I. he did not deserve a place last season, neither did McGrady but they almost made the team.Andrew Bynum while playing for a winning team does NOT deserve a place this season mainly because of the limited minutes he has played and mostly because he has done nothing to merit him being an all star despite how weak the west is in that department. Yao? Well we all know the case with Yao.

Point is if the fans are allowed to vote for whomever they want and as history has shown us the starters aren't generally the players who play on team's with the best records but they are the players who are most popular and entertaining. So why say now that the reserves must ONLY come from the best teams. Quite frankly some player DO NOT deserve to make the team over another.

When a player dominates another in every sense of the word in performance, production, basic and advanced statistics, is more entertaining and is making history while doing it he should make the All Star team no questions asked.

Don't fault a man because his coaching staff is not doing a good job (eg Jim O'brien and the 08-09 Pacers when people were saying Granger didn't deserve a spot because he played on a bad team), or his front office hasn't done a good job of putting a good enough team together (eg Kevin Love this season) or because his team has suffered a multitude of injuries (eg Andrew Bogut this season though he hasn't been much of an All-Star on the offensive end), or because his team is just flat out not good (eg Dwyane Wade's Miami Heat of 07-08 when people were saying he shouldn't be there because of how badly his team was performing).

If a player's performance's make him deserving of being an all-star he is deserving of being an All-Star team record has very little to do with it IMO. Team record should be used as the tie breaker if it has to be used.

aussie
01-16-2011, 09:30 AM
this is a stupid question

KnicksorBust
01-16-2011, 09:40 AM

Great contribution.

My opinion is the same as all the other people who voted. Yes they deserve a place in the ASG but that's on a case by case basis. Some losing players get their stats in a way that is detrimental to the team and some losing players are just stuck in a bad situation.

Crackadalic
01-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Idk what winning has to do with putting up all star numbers. If your beasting regardless if your team is winning or not shouldn't stop them from getting a spot on the team

Gram
01-16-2011, 11:07 AM

Aren't you the guy who comes up with a bunch of stupid trades?

J-Relo
01-16-2011, 11:32 AM
IMO YES they surely do.

sometimes players do whatever they can but their contribution just isn't enough to get the team winning...

basketball is a team game.

nickdymez
01-16-2011, 11:38 AM
so the "asg" is the all star game?

Confusious
01-16-2011, 11:40 AM
I think every team should have at least one representative...

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-16-2011, 11:50 AM

Ugh....cavs too?

MiamiWadeCounty
01-16-2011, 12:01 PM
if every team had one rep. there would not be enough spots for great players with other great players on their teams. Pau gasol, dwyane wade, pierce/rondo/kg (two of them), boozer, and maybe a few others would not make the team.

AntiG
01-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Idk what winning has to do with putting up all star numbers. If your beasting regardless if your team is winning or not shouldn't stop them from getting a spot on the team

Agreed.

Not if none of them are beasting.

Avenged
01-16-2011, 12:08 PM
If the player is blowing everyone out of the water statistically, then I'd say yes.. He deserves a spot. You can't or shouldn't really fault a player for being on a bad team even though he's playing great..

I mean take a player like Kobe for example.. With all the rep he has, and lets say the Lakers suddenly become a below .500 team.. Do you guys think he won't make the all-star game? More than likely he'll make it.

But if you have a player like .. Rudy Gay/Monta Ellis .. players who don't necessarily have that type of rep, will most likely not make it.

I'd like to call that a double standard. Rep plays heavily on the ASG.

Redbull
01-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Yes they do, if you put up great stats a team record should mean nothing for a all-star game.

HoopsDrive
01-16-2011, 04:05 PM

Even the Cavs? Or the Nets (sans Melo)?

Hellcrooner
01-16-2011, 04:42 PM
if they are doing fine withouth being detrimental to the team because they are filling up stats sheets then yes they could have a place.

If they are just puting up empty stats by ballhoging and forgeting bout team play and continuosly ignoring open teamates so they can have a flashy average of ppg then **** them.

topdog
01-16-2011, 04:54 PM
It's "all-star" not "all-winner." Are there stars on losing teams? Sure.

mikantsass
01-16-2011, 04:55 PM
All star is an individual acccomplishment... team record should not matter

AddiX
01-16-2011, 05:38 PM
No they don't.

If your on a bad team youll get a lot more opportunities to rack up stats than you would on a good team. If your truly an all star, eventually you'll get there on a good team.

Swashcuff
01-16-2011, 05:48 PM
No they don't.

If your on a bad team youll get a lot more opportunities to rack up stats than you would on a good team. If your truly an all star, eventually you'll get there on a good team.

Your logic makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever.

Did Dwyane Wade in 07-08 or Kobe in 04-05 deserve to go to the ASG?

This logic is so wrong on so many levels.

Care to explain because what you just said made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Jamiecballer
01-16-2011, 06:13 PM
Your logic makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever.

Did Dwyane Wade in 07-08 or Kobe in 04-05 deserve to go to the ASG?

This logic is so wrong on so many levels.

Care to explain because what you just said made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

i'm sure he meant that if you are a good player on a crappy team you will get plenty of opportunities because your teammates suck but i'm pretty sure you already knew that

Swashcuff
01-16-2011, 06:18 PM
i'm sure he meant that if you are a good player on a crappy team you will get plenty of opportunities because your teammates suck but i'm pretty sure you already knew that

So if the next season you get better teammates your team gets better and you have a better season?

Where's the reasoning behind that?

Because by that logic if you have better teammates your production will go down. Right?

Mudvayne91
01-16-2011, 06:30 PM
No they don't.

That's right.... If Kevin Love was on a + .500 team, he'd average 6 and 6, huh? I'm sorry, your logic is very flawed.

F*(&"Next Year"
01-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Blake Griffin
Monta Ellis
Kevin Love
Steve Nash
All could make strong cases to be allstars and they don't play on teams with a winning record. Their are others too

asandhu23
01-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Some of you don't realize that if you are the only good person on your team, your opponents gang up on you. Ellis has that problem every single night and he still shines out there.

For 95 percent of those nights, he has played like all star. Overloaded teams have kept him down when they gang up.

See here: http://www.nba.com/playerfile/monta_ellis/season_splits.html

WizFan3
01-16-2011, 07:21 PM

same way i feel