PDA

View Full Version : Teams Most Likely to Get a Departing NBA Team

mrblisterdundee
01-15-2011, 09:51 PM
The first thing I look at when thinking about which cities could get a departing NBA team, such the Kings, is existing facilities, namely hockey arenas. It's doubtful many people and/or cities are willing to build new stadiums, save for the one in New York City; look at Seattle's situation.
Let's look at NBA-less cities with existing hockey arenas. I include New York City, which has another stadium, that while big enough, is unused for basketball. All capacities listed are for basketball, not hockey:

San Jose: HP Pavilion (18,500)
Anaheim: Honda Center (17,608)
Pittsburgh: Consol Energy Center (19,100)
Vancouver: Rogers Arena (19,700)
New York City: Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum (capacity unknown)
St. Louis: Scottrade Center (22,612)
Tampa Bay: St. Pete Times Forum (20,500)
Montreal: Bell Centre (22,114)
Buffalo: HSBC Arena (19,200)
Columbus: Nationwide Arena (19,500)
Nashville: Bridgestone Arena (19,395)

Of those, I think San Jose and St. Louis are the likeliest of locations. San Jose, Anaheim, New York City and Vancouver have the best economic climate for investing in a basketball team. I don't think a third team in the Los Angeles metro area would work; it wouldn't be able to pull away enough fans from the Clippers and Lakers; same with New York City. I'd actually like to see a return of basketball to Vancouver, which is quickly becoming the northern Hollywood. What do you all think? Do you think there are other cities on here without hockey arenas that are in serious contention for a basketball arena?

asandhu23
01-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Actually if you know the location of HP Pavilion San Jose, you would know that it is only 37 miles from San Francisco and 35 miles from Oracle Arena ( where the Warriors play ). it might create a problem from new teams coming in because Warriors fans are very loyal and won't switch teams.

San Jose drops low.
Anaheim drops low because of two teams in LA already. Same for NY because Nets are moving to Brooklyn....

I can see Vancouver being a big part because its pretty close to Seattle and Sonics fans need their team back.

mrblisterdundee
01-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Actually if you know the location of HP Pavilion San Jose, you would know that it is only 37 miles from San Francisco and 35 miles from Oracle Arena ( where the Warriors play ). it might create a problem from new teams coming in because Warriors fans are very loyal and won't switch teams.

San Jose drops low.
Anaheim drops low because of two teams in LA already. Same for NY because Nets are moving to Brooklyn....

I can see Vancouver being a big part because its pretty close to Seattle and Sonics fans need their team back.

Did you know that San Jose is the third largest city in California? It's larger than both San Fransisco and Oakland. Besides, maybe some of the yuppies from San Fransisco will become San Jose fans to avoid one of their greatest fears: mingling with the poor people in Oakland. Either way, the Bay Area has more than enough people to support a second basketball team, and your argument isn't very well-formed.
Also, I'm sure Seattle residents are going to pack the border and go through security screenings approximately 41 times a year just to assuage their bruised egos (can you sense the sarcasm?).

asandhu23
01-15-2011, 10:19 PM
Did you know that San Jose is the third largest city in California? It's larger than both San Fransisco and Oakland. Besides, maybe some of the yuppies from San Fransisco will become San Jose fans to avoid one of their greatest fears: mingling with the poor people in Oakland. Either way, the Bay Area has more than enough people to support a second basketball team, and your argument isn't very well thought out.

uh I live halfway between SF and San Jose. Yes it is bigger than SF and that's because there is no space in San Francisco to expand.

Also SF fans are not afraid of the so called poor people of Oakland. don't talk about things you know nothing about.

TheTrueGM08
01-15-2011, 10:30 PM
I think the Clippers need to move from underneath the Lakers shadow, so I would move them to either anaheim or San Jose.

mrblisterdundee
01-15-2011, 10:38 PM
uh I live halfway between SF and San Jose. Yes it is bigger than SF and that's because there is no space in San Francisco to expand.

Also SF fans are not afraid of the so called poor people of Oakland. don't talk about things you know nothing about.

I know that the Bay Area has almost 7.5 million people, which is more than enough for another NBA team. I know that in addition to being the third most populous city in California, San Jose is also the tenth largest city in the United States. The Bay Area is the sixth largest Combined Statistical Area in the U.S. I'm pretty sure it can dredge up enough fans for a second team. Look at a free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_Area), check the U.S. Census Bureau's data (http://www.census.gov/population/www/metroareas/metrodef.html) and stop being so ignorant.

mrblisterdundee
01-15-2011, 10:41 PM
I think the Clippers need to move from underneath the Lakers shadow, so I would move them to either anaheim or San Jose.

Personally, I'd like to see them back in San Diego, but I don't see it happening.

LeBitteNoir
01-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Did you know that San Jose is the third largest city in California? It's larger than both San Fransisco and Oakland. Besides, maybe some of the yuppies from San Fransisco will become San Jose fans to avoid one of their greatest fears: mingling with the poor people in Oakland. Either way, the Bay Area has more than enough people to support a second basketball team, and your argument isn't very well-formed.
Also, I'm sure Seattle residents are going to pack the border and go through security screenings approximately 41 times a year just to assuage their bruised egos (can you sense the sarcasm?).

Dude, you come across as a huge tool in this post. Don't get all butt hurt because another poster criticized your list. You're better than that. On one level or another, we can all learn from each other.

Two-3
01-15-2011, 10:44 PM
I think San Jose is a great city for a NBA franchise, although the warriors are close to san jose I know there would be tons of fans that switch teams. 50%g of the people I know in the bay force themselves to like the Warriors just because its the only team in the Bay especially people from San Jose.

LakersA's49ers
01-15-2011, 10:54 PM
if the kings move to san jose, the debate wont be huge. all sacramento fans will be more than willing to stick to their beloved team (even if they have the lowest attendance in basketball)

CB29
01-15-2011, 10:55 PM
montreal has the most loyal fan base in hockey. If it works out in scheduling and they embrace the team, a team could really flourish there....

jon32
01-15-2011, 11:00 PM
^^^ true for sure...they dont get much more loyal and crazy than montreal. Id love to see a team back in Vancouver too.......I dunno about there past history with the time they spent in the league in the 90's but didnt they have alright attendance? what was the reason for leaving?? Vancouver is an unreal place so i would think players would really love playing there? close to seatle too...so either a vancouver or seattle team would be great.....unfortunatly dont see it happining tho

LanceUpperCut
01-15-2011, 11:13 PM
Would love to see a team in Montreal. The only problem is NBA players are big Divas who would not be able to handle the language barrier even though most of Montreal is bilingual. The Bell center is an awesome arena that holds a lot of people.

I think a team in Van city would be better, players would like the weather, which seems to be so important. The Grizzly's shouldn't be any kind of benchmark for if a team could succeed in Vancouver The management was horrible and would of failed anywhere.

MaHaRaJaH
01-15-2011, 11:15 PM
Population only accounts for maybe 50-60% of the revenue for a NBA team, you gotta factor in primetime tv spots and corporate investment- would they want one there.

td0tsfinest
01-15-2011, 11:26 PM
^^^ true for sure...they dont get much more loyal and crazy than montreal. Id love to see a team back in Vancouver too.......I dunno about there past history with the time they spent in the league in the 90's but didnt they have alright attendance? what was the reason for leaving?? Vancouver is an unreal place so i would think players would really love playing there? close to seatle too...so either a vancouver or seattle team would be great.....unfortunatly dont see it happining tho

It was really bad management. Mostly on the part of Stu Jackson.

I'd love to see a team back in Seattle before any other city.

Pens_fan_21
01-15-2011, 11:28 PM
Montreal..Bring back the Expos ;) But seriously...Montreal could work in canada if they were serious about it UNLIKE the first time around in Vancouver, what a joke as far as management went...But I'm sure it could work both places up north. I'm not sure we can accept the excuse of the weather is too cold..too much snow...I think they get more snow in teh USA this winter than most places here..even ATL!?

mrblisterdundee
01-15-2011, 11:55 PM
Dude, you come across as a huge tool in this post. Don't get all butt hurt because another poster criticized your list. You're better than that. On one level or another, we can all learn from each other.

I'm just stating facts.

THE GIPPER
01-16-2011, 12:02 AM
A team back in Vancouver would be awsome. The northwest needs another team anyway.

MackShock
01-16-2011, 12:04 AM
Seattle....../thread

lakerboy
01-16-2011, 12:05 AM
Would love to see a team in Montreal. The only problem is NBA players are big Divas who would not be able to handle the language barrier even though most of Montreal is bilingual. The Bell center is an awesome arena that holds a lot of people.

I think a team in Van city would be better, players would like the weather, which seems to be so important. The Grizzly's shouldn't be any kind of benchmark for if a team could succeed in Vancouver The management was horrible and would of failed anywhere.

If I were an NBA player I would love to sign with a Montreal basketball team. The Quebecian french speaking p*****s would be too hard to pass on.

The only problem IMO is that in a city as small as Montreal (i mean compare to NY/LA,) NBA players are still not going to be as big as hockey players.

Korman12
01-16-2011, 12:10 AM
Please god no Tampa Bay. Nothing against the city, but Florida is horrible for professional teams not named the Dolphins.

krazylegz
01-16-2011, 12:19 AM
pittsburgh will never have an nba team

mrblisterdundee
01-16-2011, 12:52 AM
Population only accounts for maybe 50-60% of the revenue for a NBA team, you gotta factor in primetime tv spots and corporate investment- would they want one there.

Vancouver is "Hollywood North." There's no media problem.

MickeyMgl
01-16-2011, 05:19 AM
Seattle. For me, the topic of future NBA cities (by relocation, presumably, rather than expansion) begins and ends there. They got screwed.

jimbobjarree
01-16-2011, 05:26 AM
Seattle were screwed big time. Get them a team and the loyal Seattle based owner (that isnt a complete ******) they deserve.

Tommyh1331
01-16-2011, 05:41 AM
Please god no Tampa Bay. Nothing against the city, but Florida is horrible for professional teams not named the Dolphins.

What's wrong with you man, the Orlando Magic are horrible?? Seriously, I'll let that slide due to ignorance, brand new arena that fills the house every night..and as much as I hate to say, but the Heat are much more popular than the horrible Dolphins. Think before you speak:facepalm:

Tommyh1331
01-16-2011, 05:43 AM
And to answer the question, Louisville is a great basketball city that deserves to showcase a pro team.

MackShock
01-16-2011, 05:43 AM
What's wrong with you man, the Orlando Magic are horrible?? Seriously, I'll let that slide due to ignorance, brand new arena that fills the house every night..and as much as I hate to say, but the Heat are much more popular than the horrible Dolphins. Think before you speak:facepalm:

props to the O-Zone! dwight howard snatches/swats anything that goes up! im wondering how magic fans feel about the big 3 in miami.

btw...the dolphins have sucked since marino..so homeboy is trippin

BuddhaMONK
01-16-2011, 06:26 AM
The first thing I look at when thinking about which cities could get a departing NBA team, such the Kings, is existing facilities, namely hockey arenas. It's doubtful many people and/or cities are willing to build new stadiums, save for the one in New York City; look at Seattle's situation.
Let's look at NBA-less cities with existing hockey arenas. I include New York City, which has another stadium, that while big enough, is unused for basketball. All capacities listed are for basketball, not hockey:

Of those, I think San Jose and St. Louis are the likeliest of locations. San Jose, Anaheim, New York City and Vancouver have the best economic climate for investing in a basketball team. I don't think a third team in the Los Angeles metro area would work; it wouldn't be able to pull away enough fans from the Clippers and Lakers; same with New York City. I'd actually like to see a return of basketball to Vancouver, which is quickly becoming the northern Hollywood. What do you all think? Do you think there are other cities on here without hockey arenas that are in serious contention for a basketball arena?

Are you American? If you are i'm impressed your not ignorant like most Americans on these forum you actually recognized two huge markets outside the US (Montreal, and Vancouver). And yes i agree with you Vancouver is the most deserving they were absolutely screwed by that ******* heisley.

BuddhaMONK
01-16-2011, 06:27 AM

Are you American? If you are i'm impressed your not ignorant like most Americans on these forum you actually recognized two huge markets outside the US (Montreal, and Vancouver). And yes i agree with you Vancouver is the most deserving they were absolutely screwed by that ******* heisley. Also, the Canadian dollar is worth more than the US dollar so it be cheaper to run a team in Vancouver.

MackShock
01-16-2011, 07:12 AM
Are you American? If you are i'm impressed your not ignorant like most Americans on these forum you actually recognized two huge markets outside the US (Montreal, and Vancouver). And yes i agree with you Vancouver is the most deserving they were absolutely screwed by that ******* heisley. Also, the Canadian dollar is worth more than the US dollar so it be cheaper to run a team in Vancouver.

i think the us dollar is stronger by 60 cents or so

BuddhaMONK
01-16-2011, 07:21 AM
i think the us dollar is stronger by 60 cents or so

i think you should check your info, Canada has a stronger dollar than the US look it up.

MackShock
01-16-2011, 08:06 AM
i think you should check your info, Canada has a stronger dollar than the US look it up.

Hmmm..times are changing.

the CAD is stronger than USD by one penny.

lincecum=future
01-16-2011, 08:09 AM
HP pavilion would sell out every night if they put an NBA team there.

MackShock
01-16-2011, 08:11 AM
^^ cant...i love the warriors too much..this wood be asking me to cheat..

lincecum=future
01-16-2011, 08:12 AM
^^ cant...i love the warriors too much..this wood be asking me to cheat..

yeah i know what you mean. i would probably support both teams. definitely wouldny bail on the dubs though

BuddhaMONK
01-16-2011, 08:25 AM
Hmmm..times are changing.

the CAD is stronger than USD by one penny.

yea it's supposed to keep climbing though

Gram
01-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Seattle deserves their team back.

soonabooma
01-16-2011, 09:58 PM
Don't feel too bad for Seattle. They screwed themselves. And they left on bad terms. Instead of trying to preserve their relationship with the league the way Charlotte did, they tried to create as many bad feelings as they could. David Stern and the board of governors are not gonna forget that. Will Seattle ever get another team? Probably. Will it be any time soon? NO! There are plenty of cities with hard working people that would love to have a team and would be more than willing to support one. The league doesn't need Seattle.