PDA

View Full Version : PSDiscussion: Is it disrespectful to openly push for a trade?

DitchDat
01-15-2011, 10:08 AM
It happens time and time again, and with the recent Melo Drama, I want to open up a discussion about this.

Are players arrogant and disrespectful when they force trades?
What are some prime examples?
Should professional athletes be more loyal or do some soul searching?

Let's keep this it nice.

WSU Tony
01-15-2011, 10:13 AM
Would the athlete allow management to pay 70 percent of the athletes contract because management Changes their mind? If the athlete is hurt shouldn't they not get paid? What would the athlete think about that? A contract is a two way agreement but athletes only see it as a one way agreement.

rhino17
01-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Melo never requested a trade, he simply told the Nuggs ahead of time that he would not be resigning with them at the end of the season. What he is doing is a helluva lot more respectful than what Lebron did.

levignjw
01-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Melo never requested a trade, he simply told the Nuggs ahead of time that he would not be resigning with them at the end of the season. What he is doing is a helluva lot more respectful than what Lebron did.

Amen.

Teufelshunde4
01-15-2011, 10:21 AM
I dont think Melo is being disrespectful in this case... IF the man doesnt want to go to Nets or resign with Nuggets then whats the problem with Melo just playing out his contract and becoming a free agent? Why is the media so zeroed in on the 65 million dollar extension?

Recent example of disrespecting player is Manny vs the Red Sox and Manny vs the Dodgers

DitchDat
01-15-2011, 10:22 AM
I also think the whole "then you had better surrounded me with some more talent" argument makes no sense. Athletes should be able to get money, but once a contract is signed, they can not be slacking in the final year, just because they would already like a new contract. I hate when players stop trying in contract years because they're unhappy that they haven't yet gotten a new deal. Not the case with Melo, obviously, but some guys need to get their head on straight.

Flash3
01-15-2011, 10:37 AM

no he said he wont sign the extension, basically try to play out the whole lebron fiasco in the offseason. nugs said sign the extention or we will trade you.

Crackadalic
01-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Never ask for a trade and never said he wanted to be anywhere else. He just didnt sign the extension because he feels he needs to keep an open mind but everyone to label him the bad guy

SteBO
01-15-2011, 10:45 AM
I respectfully disagree. LeBron left as a free agent, meaning he had the right to leave. Granted how he did it was classless and disrespectful, but at least he honored his contract. Melo's holding his own team hostage and I've seen in games, he's isn't giving it his all. I'd say what Melo's doing isn't any better than 'Bron.

SteBO
01-15-2011, 10:45 AM
I respectfully disagree. LeBron left as a free agent, meaning he had the right to leave. Granted how he did it was classless and disrespectful, but at least he honored his contract. Melo's holding his own team hostage and I've seen in games, he's isn't giving it his all. I'd say what Melo's doing isn't any better than 'Bron.

BranWingss
01-15-2011, 10:56 AM

Melo told his team ahead of time. Melo didn't make his decision live on ESPN. What Melo is doing is sure the hell more respectful than what LeBron did in the summer.

SteBO
01-15-2011, 10:58 AM
Melo told his team ahead of time. Melo didn't make his decision live on ESPN. What Melo is doing is sure the hell more respectful than what LeBron did in the summer.
I said in my post that LeBron was classless. Melo is letting the team know, yes, but he's holding the team hostage and pushing for a trade. How is that good? :shrug:

marlinsfan24
01-15-2011, 11:01 AM

If it weren't for "The Decision", there was nothing that Lebron did wrong. He left as a free agent.

Melo hasn't done anything wrong.

Theyhateme459
01-15-2011, 11:03 AM
I said in my post that LeBron was classless. Melo is letting the team know, yes, but he's holding the team hostage and pushing for a trade. How is that good? :shrug:

It's good because the team can get something for him now, where as in a few months they get nothing because he is a FREE agent.

SteBO
01-15-2011, 11:03 AM
If it weren't for "The Decision", there was nothing that Lebron did wrong. He left as a free agent.

What Melo's doing isn't necessarily wrong, bt it isn't really that good either. It's a sticky situation, bt that's the business, unfortunately.

SteBO
01-15-2011, 11:04 AM
It's good because the team can get something for him now, where as in a few months they get nothing because he is a FREE agent.
I get that, bt even now, Melo's holding out, and his silence about whether he'll extend or not isn't helping Denver.

Theyhateme459
01-15-2011, 11:17 AM
I get that, bt even now, Melo's holding out, and his silence about whether he'll extend or not isn't helping Denver.

IMO Mello has leverage. That's what teams hate, when the players have the leverage. They want to be able to sign, trade, deal do whatever they want with them. But when the players have the control it's an issue. Mello has said he want to go to the knicks. If he waits until the off season he will go to NY for free. So if Denver wants to get something in return they should work with him in sending him where he wants to go.

Will they get an all-star deal? No, becuase this is not Mello with 4 years left on his contract, it's more like 4 months. My opinion is get what you can now, from a team he is willing to go too, NYN.

John Walls Era
01-15-2011, 11:19 AM

No its worse. Lebron has the right to not resign. Melo is causing problems, if hes not resigning theres no need for the world to know; it should be between him and the team.

ManRam
01-15-2011, 11:27 AM
My only problem comes when there are double standards involved. Carmelo, in my opinion, should have just told the team privately that he wasn't going to re-sign, and leave it at that. I have a bigger problem because of the LeBron factor. ANYONE who is upset with LeBron for leaving Cleveland (not HOW he left, but just for leaving), and doesn't have a problem with what Melo is doing, is a big hypocrite. LeBron at least honored his contract. Sure, he didn't tell Cleveland he was planning on leaving 7 months before he did...but that's because if you ask anyone around him, he just legitimately didn't know.

Melo has caused friction and small levels of animosity on that team. It's been a bit of a problem.

Again, LeBron honored his contract, deflected the questions, focused on the team and winning for the duration of his contract...until he became a free agent and rightfully was able to leave. He honored his contract. That's what you are supposed to do. Melo is NOT honoring his contract here, to an extent...and is trying to get the upper hand in all of this. If you tell the team you are not coming back next year, let them trade you wherever they want and deal with it for the rest of the year. He's become bigger than the team in all of this.

Again, I have more of a problem with the double standards than anything else. I don't mind what Melo is doing, I mind the fact that, again...the people saying he's fine and LeBron were wrong would totally flip their opinions if the roles were reversed. But hey, that's the nature of fandom...

And people acting like Melo is completetly innocent...it isn't helping when there are all these reports from him saying where he'd love to play, him commenting on the trades he's involved in etc. Just be silent.

SteBO
01-15-2011, 11:53 AM
My only problem comes when there are double standards involved. Carmelo, in my opinion, should have just told the team privately that he wasn't going to re-sign, and leave it at that. I have a bigger problem because of the LeBron factor. ANYONE who is upset with LeBron for leaving Cleveland (not HOW he left, but just for leaving), and doesn't have a problem with what Melo is doing, is a big hypocrite. LeBron at least honored his contract. Sure, he didn't tell Cleveland he was planning on leaving 7 months before he did...but that's because if you ask anyone around him, he just legitimately didn't know.

Melo has caused friction and small levels of animosity on that team. It's been a bit of a problem.

Again, LeBron honored his contract, deflected the questions, focused on the team and winning for the duration of his contract...until he became a free agent and rightfully was able to leave. He honored his contract. That's what you are supposed to do. Melo is NOT honoring his contract here, to an extent...and is trying to get the upper hand in all of this. If you tell the team you are not coming back next year, let them trade you wherever they want and deal with it for the rest of the year. He's become bigger than the team in all of this.

Again, I have more of a problem with the double standards than anything else. I don't mind what Melo is doing, I mind the fact that, again...the people saying he's fine and LeBron were wrong would totally flip their opinions if the roles were reversed. But hey, that's the nature of fandom...

And people acting like Melo is completetly innocent...it isn't helping when there are all these reports from him saying where he'd love to play, him commenting on the trades he's involved in etc. Just be silent.
Couldn't have said it better myself ManRam. :clap:

obcha22
01-15-2011, 11:56 AM
[QUOTE=DitchDat;16318593]It happens time and time again, and with the recent Melo Drama, I want to open up a discussion about this.

Are players arrogant and disrespectful when they force trades? No. It is their career. If you didn't like your job wouldn't you find a new one? In the same or very similar field? Or if you wanted to move from the West to east coast, is that disrespectful?
Should professional athletes be more loyal or do some soul searching? Soul searching for what? Maybe their soul searching is the thing that leads them to realize they are unhappy where they are and want to be somewhere else. Loyalty should be two sided. If an owner wants to trade a young player, he can. As the players grows and gets another contract, the player can start calling his shots as well. Melo has 6 months left on his contract, he has been loyal to Denver and honored his contract. Denver wanted him to sign an extension and he said no. Is that disloyal? No. He wants to play elsewhere.
Another point made was if all contracts were guaranteed this would be a bit different but they are not. Owners want to make money off the players and the owners' loyalties extends as far as the players potential value. They will look for ways to void the contract or get rid of the player (save for a few Mark Cuban I believe would take care of his players. Which is why no one tries to get traded from Dallas)
Even lebron was entitled to play elsewhere. He wasn't disloyal because of that, he is just a giant douche for the way he did it. That is why he is disloyal. He straight out lied to his team.
Unfortunately, pro sports are becoming more and more commercially driven and the players are really just advertisements on a certain level. They represent what the owners and their interests are selling. This is causing the never ending marketing and product developments like ( I have no negative opinion of this just an example) Amare Cologne. This has become way more than playing BBall. Everybody is looking to get theirs and that's fair, because they are being used for the same reason. And we watch and pay 100 bucks a seat to pay for all of it. And soon when we watch it on tv there will be more commercials than game. It is a business and these guys need to have the command over their product and have the right to place it in whatever market they choose as long as they honor the present arrangement there is nothing wrong with asking or demanding a change.

LakersIn5
01-15-2011, 12:09 PM

THIS.

MELO DOESNT WANT TO RESIGN WITH THE NUGGETS. SO INSTEAD OF HIM JUST LEAVING AS A FREE AGENT WITH THE NUGGETS NOT GETTING ANYTHING IN RETURN HE DECIDED TO TELL THE NUGGETs MANAGEMENT IN ADVANCE SO THAT THE TEAM CAN ACTUALLY GET SOMETHING FOR HIM. HE IS ACTUALLY DOING THE DENVER FRANCHISE A FAVOR BECAUSE HE CAN ACTUALLY JUST SHUT UP AND LEAVE IN FREE AGENCY AND LEAVE THE NUGGETS WITH NOTHING BUT HE DOESNT WANT THAT TO HAPPEN. HE ATLEAST WANT THE NUGGETS TO GET SOMETHING IN RETURN FOR HIM.

BigBlueCrew
01-15-2011, 12:11 PM

How do you know that Melo isnt honoring the contract?

He seems to be honoring fine to me. It isnt like he has shut it down or anything.

You expect athletes to wait for their free agency period to go where they want to and do want they want. You forget that Carmelo has an option for an extension this is his TRUMP CARD and he has given the Denver front office one of the nicest things (if you ask me) you can given someone CHOICE!!!!!

Denver can turn down every offer from New York, New Jersey or whatnot. That's their choice. But at least Carmelo gave them that choice whereas Lebron (at least I dont believe) ever gave the Cavs a choice.

As for your Melo should shutup mantra. Is he slave labor? Should he toil on the field for the masta til the contract is done. I dont know about you. But I dont turn on the tube to watch the front office. I watch the athletes play. I dont give a damn about the contracts. The contacts dont put in 30 points a night. The contracts dont slam dunk. The contracts dont put in three points. So if Melo wants to use the power of the media so be it.

P.S. if you believe for a second that lebron didnt know where he was going then you probably also believe that the tweet wasnt from him and he doesnt know what contraction mean cuz I sure as hell dont believe him.

PhillyFaninLA
01-15-2011, 12:36 PM

Business is business. To ownership and front offices its business and the sole responsibility is profitability and winning. As long as whatever they do focuses on those and does not violate rules or laws than its what they need to do.

Players are employees. Employees have the right to request transfers (or trades in this case), look for new employment, or a new career. I think using the press is irresponsible and I think your hurt your value by publicly handling what should be handled behind closed doors, but its there right. Also players cannot force a trade all they can do is request one. The ownership, GM, and front office could always just not trade them and either hope things get worked out or let them walk at the end of the contract. Disrespect only comes into the equation when a player is taking shots at fans, his team, or teammates.

Loyalty is reserved for the fans. I've been a Sixers fan for as long as I can remember and I've seen multiple owners, many coaches, and countless players come and go. A fan is the only one loyal because no one else will be around rooting and showing passion for decade after decade. A player need to loyal to themselves and their loved ones. Ownership, GM, and front office need to be loyal to the business side.

John Walls Era
01-15-2011, 12:38 PM
O yeah... Forgot about the decision.

PhillyFaninLA
01-15-2011, 12:40 PM

I may be alone on this one, but I never blamed Lebron for the Decision. I blamed ESPN. ESPN producers and management needed to think it was a good idea and approve it other wise it wouldn't have happened. I don't get why people always blame Lebron but never ESPN, because if ESPN says no then all this Lebron hate never happens.

latinofire21
01-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Honestly after the whole offseason mess and now the Melo mess I have really changed my perspective on all the offseason acquisitions.

The Athletes owe nothing to their respective teams or fans. Its a business and its great when you can back a team and make that team your own but the athletes dont care and they shouldnt because its their job and their lives.

As a Fan I really dont respect players who leave their teams for greener pastures when the organization clearly wants to keep them, but thats a personal opinion.

I thought Bosh was a moron the whole offseason but its understandable why he left Toronto. The franchise was going nowhere.

Dwade was a moron this offseason as well but at least he woke up and resigned with the team that mirrored their whole image behind him.

Lebron is a pathetic excuse for a human being and I dont really agree at all with what he did but it is his life and he is the only one who can decide whats best for him. Globally alienating your hometown fans on a 1 hour special might be one of the worst though of ideas I have ever witnessed. Then using Boys and Girls Club of America as a fallback is even a bigger cheapshot to try and save face for your stupidity.

Melo is by far the most reasonable out of Bosh Lebron and him because he never said a word. Denver tried to force the issue of the extension and he said he wanted to weigh his options. Everything is being blown out of porportion because of what we witnessed in the offseason.
If its anyones fault why Denver is in such a tight squeeze its Denver for making everything public in the Carmelo Anthony resigining process.

He isnt higher in light then Dwade because Dwade resigned with his team but at least hes giving his team a heads up instead of Lebron and Bosh. At least he isnt masquerading on twitter starting poles where he should go like Bosh or using the media as a frenzy with every little hint or suggestion hes leaving Cleveland like Lebron.

I think the offseason was exciting for all the winners and frustrating for the losers. The Athletes dont need to appease the fans and just their families so what they are doing isnt wrong I just wont ever agree with them.

faze38
01-15-2011, 01:07 PM
What Melo's doing isn't necessarily wrong, bt it isn't really that good either. It's a sticky situation, bt that's the business, unfortunately.

Last time I checked Melo didn't do anything except for not sign a contract! As far as not come to work everyday are u really going to tell me that LBJ didn't give up on Cleveland in the playoffs? Come on now! To say Melo is not giving his all is a push because last time I checked Melo is putting up a career best in boards and is only down 1 point from his career ppg avg and that is after an 8 point game. I mean what else do u want the man to do last time I checked the Nuggets got stuck playing small ball due to injuries and Melo carried them through an injury plagued start! What makes it even worse is that all this Melodrama has started and the man never even said he wanted a trade he just said he wanted to leave his options open and rather then Denver being like hey were going to try and bring in CP3 or someone that gets us one step closer to a ring they panic and say we have to get rid of Melo before it's to late. So if u ask me Melo's situiation is more poorely handled more then him mistreating Denver like Lebron did the Cavs. If Denver was smart they would try and handle it like LA did and bring in more help. I mean they even have Kobe helping them out by giving his best friend advice and telling him "don't leave just to leave."

faze38
01-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Honestly after the whole offseason mess and now the Melo mess I have really changed my perspective on all the offseason acquisitions.

The Athletes owe nothing to their respective teams or fans. Its a business and its great when you can back a team and make that team your own but the athletes dont care and they shouldnt because its their job and their lives.

As a Fan I really dont respect players who leave their teams for greener pastures when the organization clearly wants to keep them, but thats a personal opinion.

I thought Bosh was a moron the whole offseason but its understandable why he left Toronto. The franchise was going nowhere.

Dwade was a moron this offseason as well but at least he woke up and resigned with the team that mirrored their whole image behind him.

Lebron is a pathetic excuse for a human being and I dont really agree at all with what he did but it is his life and he is the only one who can decide whats best for him. Globally alienating your hometown fans on a 1 hour special might be one of the worst though of ideas I have ever witnessed. Then using Boys and Girls Club of America as a fallback is even a bigger cheapshot to try and save face for your stupidity.

Melo is by far the most reasonable out of Bosh Lebron and him because he never said a word. Denver tried to force the issue of the extension and he said he wanted to weigh his options. Everything is being blown out of porportion because of what we witnessed in the offseason.
If its anyones fault why Denver is in such a tight squeeze its Denver for making everything public in the Carmelo Anthony resigining process.

He isnt higher in light then Dwade because Dwade resigned with his team but at least hes giving his team a heads up instead of Lebron and Bosh. At least he isnt masquerading on twitter starting poles where he should go like Bosh or using the media as a frenzy with every little hint or suggestion hes leaving Cleveland like Lebron.

I think the offseason was exciting for all the winners and frustrating for the losers. The Athletes dont need to appease the fans and just their families so what they are doing isnt wrong I just wont ever agree with them.

+1 people have to realize this is a buisness I think any player should be able to do as they please but they need to handle it in a respectful manner!

ManRam
01-15-2011, 01:13 PM

It's hard to believe your stance is based on sound reason and thought, and isn't based on hate when you use "moron", "moron" and "pathetic excuse for a human" about three people you've never met, walked a day in their shoes or really know at all.

Hate is such a juvenile and reason-clouding emotion. It's a shame PSD is overflowing with hate.

marlinsfan24
01-15-2011, 01:18 PM
I may be alone on this one, but I never blamed Lebron for the Decision. I blamed ESPN. ESPN producers and management needed to think it was a good idea and approve it other wise it wouldn't have happened. I don't get why people always blame Lebron but never ESPN, because if ESPN says no then all this Lebron hate never happens.

Why would ESPN turn down a chance to make money and get more viewers for one night.

jimm120
01-15-2011, 01:20 PM
It happens time and time again, and with the recent Melo Drama, I want to open up a discussion about this.

Let's keep this it nice.

I believe that if you're a veteran and your team is going to rebuild, then yes, you can ASK to be traded.

As long as the player doesn't start getting grumpy, handles things with respect, and is a long time veteran on his "last legs", then yes, I think they can request to be traded.

PhillyFaninLA
01-15-2011, 01:24 PM
Why would ESPN turn down a chance to make money and get more viewers for one night.

Excellent point.

jimm120
01-15-2011, 01:31 PM

Look, I still say that this is ALL DENVER.

They are pretty much saying:

-Take our extension
or
-Take an extension to WHICHEVER team we want to send you to

They DON'T WANT

-Him leaving during free agency
or
-Sending him to a team without extension (since the Nuggets won't get a good package)

I'm sorry, but Melo has NOT said "trade me!" He has just NOT SIGNED THE EXTENSION and has NOT SIGNED AN EXTENSION WITH WHICHEVER TEAM DENVER WANTS TO SEND HIM.

The facts are in:

It is Melo's right to sign an extension with whichever team he wants
It is Melo's right to to sign with whichever team in the offseason

It is Denver's right to keep him this year
It is Denver's right to trade him
It is Denver's right to offer him an extension

But they DON'T want those rights only! They want to take one of Melo's rights away from him.

Don't be fooled guys.

Melo has never said trade me.
Melo has never said he isn't going to re-sign.
Melo has ONLY ignored the extension (and I'm sure in the internal discussions said he won't sign it NOW).

This is ALL on Denver.
Instead of competing with Melo this year (Like Amare and the Suns last year), Denver has opted to trade him.

DENVER OPTED TO TRADE HIM.

...not Melo.

faze38
01-15-2011, 01:35 PM
It's hard to believe your stance is based on sound reason and thought, and isn't based on hate when you use "moron", "moron" and "pathetic excuse for a human" about three people you've never met, walked a day in their shoes or really know at all.

Hate is such a juvenile and reason-clouding emotion. It's a shame PSD is overflowing with hate.

I thinking u should just look past the name calling and see he makes a good point. These players have a right to do as they please! It's a buisness and the players are in it for the samething the owners are profit and gain! Doesn't always mean money but they are looking to make moves that benefit them and their families!

latinofire21
01-15-2011, 02:35 PM

Again I can see why your feeling this way with Carmelo. Its because your completely misinformed on whats going on.

He is allowing the Nuggets to trade him. He simply isnt going to sign an extension with the team unless its one he wants to go to. Nuggets want the world for him and thats rightfully so but they only way they will get that return from any team is if the team gets Melo to extend. In the end your telling me the right thing to do is let the Nuggets trade him to a team he doesnt want to go to and lose his right to free agency because they had him first and dont want to lose him for nothing?

LBJ situation and Melo situation isnt even remotely close. Front office started all this media frenzy and they are trying to impose their will on Melo is if he is a slave of the organization.

KnicksorBust
01-15-2011, 02:43 PM

-Take our extension
or

They DON'T WANT

or
-Sending him to a team without extension (since the Nuggets won't get a good package)

I'm sorry, but Melo has NOT said "trade me!" He has just NOT SIGNED THE EXTENSION and has NOT SIGNED AN EXTENSION WITH WHICHEVER TEAM DENVER WANTS TO SEND HIM.

The facts are in:

But they DON'T want those rights only! They want to take one of Melo's rights away from him.

Don't be fooled guys.

Melo has ONLY ignored the extension (and I'm sure in the internal discussions said he won't sign it NOW).

This is ALL on Denver.
Instead of competing with Melo this year (Like Amare and the Suns last year), Denver has opted to trade him.

...not Melo.

Great post. :clap:

To me it really depends on the situation:

1. Rookie Draftee - What Kobe did was wrong. You play for whatever team drafts you and you play out that contract.
2. Re-Signed Contract - If you are a rookie and you re-sign you play out that new contract like Dwyane Wade and don't ask to be traded no matter how bad your supporting cast.
3. Superstar at the End of his Prime - If you play out 2 full contracts at the team still can't get it done, I think privately it's okay to ask to be traded. Garnett would agree.
4. Vet at the End of his Career - Grant Hill... Just ask out of Phoenix. The Lakers or some other team could use you and you deserve a ring. I'm completely fine with them asking too.

Wildcard
5. Superstar at the End of a Contract - I believe this is the reason why we're here. Carmelo handled it fine. He doesn't have to re-sign with Denver. That's his choice. I think the honorable thing is to give them an opportunity to get value for him and whether it's Derrick Favors and picks or what, it's better than nothing.

arkanian215
01-15-2011, 02:44 PM
From a legal standpoint, if Melo did ask for a trade, that's worse than what Lebron did. From a basketball standpoint, it's nice of Melo to tell the Nuggs that he is going to leave and they should trade him while they can get solid value back for him.

latinofire21
01-15-2011, 02:58 PM

Nothing in my previous post was juvenile or filled with reason-clouding emotion. Its a shame that these athletes dont understand they are rolemodels to the young community whether they like it or not. The idiotic antics that took place this offseason was by far the most unappealing part of the NBA since I have been watching. I grew up playing basketball with my brother using guys like Magic, Bird, MJ, Ewing, Olajuwon, and newer faces at that time like Shaq and Penny hardaway as role models. I liked the way the league was balanced then. I liked the way the league conducted themselves then. It just seems now its like WWE. Its more of a show then a sport.

When athletes are acting like they are Reality TV stars to gain endorsements and crap it just mirrors off on the youth playing sports today. I laughed because my AAU team beat really good teams in the nationals. We beat David Lees team, Al Jeffersons team, Glen Davis team, A,J, Prices team among others. We used teamwork and hard nosed defense that the previous Era taught us growing up. I went to an AAU tournament recently to help recruit for a local college and its a joke. Every kid is trying to go 1 on 1 and showcase their talents. I was surprised there wasnt a camera crew and the mvp of the tournament didnt announce which college he was "taking his talents" too. Its all a joke these days and these athletes further strengthen my arguement with these idiot antics they pull of on a day to day basis.

the example above is really just something you see in the way kids are growing up. Mirroring their idols and I just dont like where the league is headed if we start using these antics as a stepping stone to whats going to come down the road when its no longer a bad thing to do what Bosh or Lebron did and its more a way of the free agent process.

I am just scared to see that day because I know its right aroudn the corner!

dtmagnet
01-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Behind closed doors to your management, no. Publicly to the media? Yes absolutely.

latinofire21
01-15-2011, 03:07 PM
No its worse. Lebron has the right to not resign. Melo is causing problems, if hes not resigning theres no need for the world to know; it should be between him and the team.

It is nto melos fault why the story is out. I see you blogging all the time on this site you should know better then anyone why the story is out. Denver from day 1 has been publically chronicalling the Melo signing. The longer the period without the sign the more questiosn arose fromt he media. If Denver has this stance that they sdont want their trades public knowledge they shouldnt have made the resigining process public knowledge. Its all Nuggest Front Office fault as to why this story is as big as it is today.

Sadds The Gr8
01-15-2011, 03:16 PM

how? Lebron played out his contract. They sure as hell weren't gonna trade him at the deadline last year because they thought they had a championship team. Melo is askin for trades and tellin his team he doesn't wanna play there.

Giraffes Rule
01-15-2011, 03:59 PM

Melo isn't holding his team hostage. He told them he won't be signing an extension or resigning with them as a free agent. If they want to get something for him, then they can trade him now. If not, they lose him and get nothing for him. Again, he isn't asking to be traded. He's giving his team notice that this is his last season with them. It's all up to them whether they want to trade him or not. Him refusing to sign an extension with the Nets or whoever else they trade him to isn't him holding them hostage. He has the right the enter free agency when his contract is up.

SteBO
01-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Melo isn't holding his team hostage. He told them he won't be signing an extension or resigning with them as a free agent. If they want to get something for him, then they can trade him now. If not, they lose him and get nothing for him. Again, he isn't asking to be traded. He's giving his team notice that this is his last season with them. It's all up to them whether they want to trade him or not. Him refusing to sign an extension with the Nets or whoever else they trade him to isn't him holding them hostage. He has the right the enter free agency when his contract is up.
The fact that he isn't signing the extension doesn't tell you that he's pushing a trade? That's the way I see it.

Redbull
01-15-2011, 04:06 PM
What Melo is doing is not disrespectful, he has let them know time and time again he won't resign and for that he is helping the Nuggets in some sort.

Giraffes Rule
01-15-2011, 04:20 PM
The fact that he isn't signing the extension doesn't tell you that he's pushing a trade? That's the way I see it.

You see it wrong. It tells me he wants to see if he can get more money in free agency or pursue other opportunities. Nothing wrong with that. By your logic every player that has ever played out their contract and became a free agent was pushing for a trade.

rhino17
01-15-2011, 04:23 PM
how? Lebron played out his contract. They sure as hell weren't gonna trade him at the deadline last year because they thought they had a championship team. Melo is askin for trades and tellin his team he doesn't wanna play there.

Again, No, he did not ask for a trade, he just told Denver that he will not be resigning at the end of the season, he is not leaving his team out to dry like Lebron did

SteBO
01-15-2011, 04:24 PM
You see it wrong. It tells me he wants to see if he can get more money in free agency or pursue other opportunities. Nothing wrong with that. By your logic every player that has ever played out their contract and became a free agent was pushing for a trade.
Don't you think Melo knows that by not signing the extension, that Denver is going to trade him?

Sadds The Gr8
01-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Again, No, he did not ask for a trade, he just told Denver that he will not be resigning at the end of the season, he is not leaving his team out to dry like Lebron did

but how did Lebron leave his team out to dry? he fulfilled his contract and was free to leave. He didn't owe the team anything.

KnicksorBust
01-15-2011, 04:29 PM

So what is he supposed to do? The guy isn't bound to them for life just because they got a high draft pick when he was coming out of Syracuse.

KnicksorBust
01-15-2011, 04:32 PM
but how did Lebron leave his team out to dry? he fulfilled his contract and was free to leave. He didn't owe the team anything.

If he told them earlier they could have come up with some kind of re-building strategy. You don't wait till halfway through the summer and announce it on national television. That's leaving them out to dry.

Sadds The Gr8
01-15-2011, 04:35 PM
If he told them earlier they could have come up with some kind of re-building strategy. You don't wait till halfway through the summer and announce it on national television. That's leaving them out to dry.

why did he have to tell the Cavs? he doesn't have to tell anyone where he's going. it might seem like the 'nice guy' thing to do, but he didn't have to do it.

SteBO
01-15-2011, 04:41 PM
So what is he supposed to do? The guy isn't bound to them for life just because they got a high draft pick when he was coming out of Syracuse.
I don't mean to blame him for it, I;m just stating what I'm seeing.

Kevj77
01-15-2011, 04:43 PM
There is a history of players pushing for trades. For instance Kareem pushed to be traded to LA. Of course this was before free agency and it was the only way to change teams and end up in a destination of your choosing. Today with free agency it seems a little more disrepectful. Play out your contract and you are free to go.

Having said that there is nothing wrong with Melo not signing the extension to test free agency. The second he didn't sign it this was going to become a media circus. Nuggets know he will walk for nothing so they are forced to trade him or ride his contract out and let him walk. If they were a legit title contender like the Cavs were last year I say let it play out and go for the trophy, but they aren't. So it's better to get something of value and move on.

The 24 hour news coverage makes it look much worse then it really is.

KnicksorBust
01-15-2011, 04:43 PM
why did he have to tell the Cavs? he doesn't have to tell anyone where he's going. it might seem like the 'nice guy' thing to do, but he didn't have to do it.

And now his home state team and all it's fans, who used to be his fans and love him, are watching the worst team in the NBA and openly detest him. How's that for a reason?

KnicksorBust
01-15-2011, 04:45 PM
I don't mean to blame him for it, I;m just stating what I'm seeing.

Well if you want to criticize a guy for something I feel like you should be able to offer some kind of alternative for him. I think he's done the right thing and the Denver Nuggets have a legitimate chance to re-tool themselves because of it. They hit their ceiling with that WCF finals run and now everyone gets to shake hands and move on.

HoopsDrive
01-15-2011, 04:47 PM

Bingo.

LeBron didn't need to tell anybody what he planned to do, much less his former team. The one and ONLY thing he needs to get **** for is for that 1hr show and that's it.

SteBO
01-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Well if you want to criticize a guy for something I feel like you should be able to offer some kind of alternative for him. I think he's done the right thing and the Denver Nuggets have a legitimate chance to re-tool themselves because of it. They hit their ceiling with that WCF finals run and now everyone gets to shake hands and move on.
I guess you're right. I've just seen many situations similar to Melo's and the same criticism comes up: "He's bailing out and now he wants out cuz he's spoiled". The only difference here is that CBA is playing a huge factor.

Tony_Starks
01-15-2011, 04:54 PM
I used to think so but at the end of the day management has no real loyalty to the player its all about how much money he can make for them. As soon as he is not a hot commodity, gets hurt, or they can save money with a better contract he's on the next thing smoking. The player has to look out for himself because no one else will.

If anything its disrespectful to the fans, but then again we have no idea of whats going on behind closed doors. Only what we hear from "unnamed sources."

Sadds The Gr8
01-15-2011, 04:55 PM
And now his home state team and all it's fans, who used to be his fans and love him, are watching the worst team in the NBA and openly detest him. How's that for a reason?

well that's his and their prerogative. They may hate him, but that doesn't mean he's wrong.

THE GIPPER
01-15-2011, 04:56 PM
When lebron says to larry king that cleveland is in the lead for signing him then like two weeks later he goes on live tv and embarasses cleveland, thats disrespectful.

Carmelo is actually going TO his hometown, not leaving his hometown like lebron did. Melo is being honest and not leading his team to believe they have a chance to sign him, he's telling them straight up so they can get somethin for him. So no i dont think he's being disrespectful.

abe_froman
01-15-2011, 04:57 PM
not really.i liken it to any job,is it disrespectful to want out.quit or try to get fired if you dont want to work there anymore?

as well i dont think its bad for fans either,why would you want to have/root for a guy you know doesnt want to be there.i've always taken the attitude of my sports teams and players like this "if you dont want to play for my team,than i dont want you here"

Sadds The Gr8
01-15-2011, 04:59 PM
When lebron says to larry king that cleveland is in the lead for signing him then like two weeks later he goes on live tv and embarasses cleveland, thats disrespectful.
he said they had an advantage because it was his hometown. he never said they were in the lead. Of course he was gonna say that they had an advantage what did u expect him to say?

JasonJohnHorn
01-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Its a lose-lose situation. Players, as free agents, have a right to choose where they want to go. Melo spoke privately to the nuggets management and told them he would not re-sign with the team. I see that as open and honest. He has not come out and claimed that he wants to be traded, but at the same time Denever made it known they had offered him an extension, and that he turned it down.

He is still playing the best basketball he can, and he is still playing to win. You cant ask much more than that.

If he doesn't tell the team his plans, then where does that put the team? LBJ? Bosh? Shaq? All these players have waited until free agency has started to make their intentions known, and their resepctive franchises have in turn been left to dangle in the wind. The players have a right to choose where they want to go, so as long as a player is honest, and gives a 100% on the floor, there is not much more one could ask for.

If Melo kept his thoughts to himself and left for NY or somewhere else in the offseason, then people would make him out to be like Bosh or LBJ. If he is honest with the team about his long-term intentions, it creates drama. If he tanks his performance, he's the next VC. Melo has handled the situation well, has been straight with his team, and its just a personal choice he is making, and its going to mean a loss for Denver. That is just the way it is, but he's been a man about the situation, certainly more so than some have been in the past.

Its lose-lose either way. This way at least everybody knows where they stand.

Giraffes Rule
01-15-2011, 05:34 PM
Don't you think Melo knows that by not signing the extension, that Denver is going to trade him?

Again, that is up to the Nuggets to decide. There's no reason for him to sign an extension if he doesn't want to, and by letting them know that he's giving them a chance to make the best decision for the franchise. Why should he sign an extension with a team he doesn't want to play for?

jimm120
01-15-2011, 08:10 PM

no. of course not.

Not signing the extension means (to me) that he either:
-has reservations about continuing playing in Denver after his contract is over or,
-wants to put that whole process at the end of the season

It does not mean "trade me now". He knows that he's going to free agency at the end of the season. The ONLY reason people are thinking the way you are thinking is because of the whole CBA uncertainty at the end of the season.

jimm120
01-15-2011, 08:12 PM
I'm going to continue to post this response always. It is the ONE thing that is 100%.

-Take our extension
or

They DON'T WANT

or

The facts are in:

Don't be fooled guys.

This is ALL on Denver.

...not Melo.

Raps08-09 Champ
01-15-2011, 09:03 PM

Lebron might have been classless about the way he left.

But he left as a FA. His contract was done meaning he HAD the right to do whatever he wanted. If he didn't leave via "The Decision", you can't even claim anything against Lebron.

Raps08-09 Champ
01-15-2011, 09:06 PM

I think it is disrespectful and arrogant to force a trade because you signed a contract to play for them and I believe you should live up to the deal you signed with them.

Vince Carter, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett and a couple of other players have all demanded a trade in recent years.

I say if you can't stand being with a team, don't sign some long *** contracts.

Raps08-09 Champ
01-15-2011, 09:07 PM
The facts are in:

Bingo

Raps08-09 Champ
01-15-2011, 09:18 PM

Carmelo is actually going TO his hometown, not leaving his hometown like lebron did. Melo is being honest and not leading his team to believe they have a chance to sign him, he's telling them straight up so they can get somethin for him. So no i dont think he's being disrespectful.

1. Who's to say that Cleveland wasn't in the running to sign him?

2. Cleveland, isn't Lebron's hometown. Akron is. It's like saying San Antonio is your hometown when you live in Austin because it's only an hour away.

3. Carmelo is still being disrespectful by demanding a trade AFTER he made a commitment(contract) to play there.

4. Like I said, obviously Lebron considered all his options. He made it clear he liked being a Cav. It's when the Cavs lost that everything started to fall apart for the Cavs.

5. And if Lebron DID tell the Cavs he was leaving, then what? It still would have been a sign and trade. I doubt they would have tried to trade Lebron midway through the season anyways and would have gotten a lot in return. Had Lebron demanded a trade before the deadline, he would be in the exact same position as Carmelo. Where no team would want to trade for them unless Lebron signs an extension and the only teams where he could possinly have signed with had nothing to offer in return.

Bruno
01-15-2011, 09:30 PM

This is along the lines of what I think. Melo is being a realist, he's not bs-ing anybody, he is being honest, and at least giving his current team a chance to get some valuable assets in return. We now all see what happens when a star leaves a team and they get nothing in return (Cavs). To me, honesty is always more respectable than deception. Be it a superstar basketball player making his franchise and home town truly believe he was going to resign, a superstar telling his franchise that he'll play out the year but won't resign in the off-season, or in any other facet of life, honesty is always more admirable than deception.

To those of you who think Melo has quit on his team, that's a fair notion considering 20 point losses to the Clippers and Kings. But you go back to last years semis, Boston, Cavs, and tell me James didn't quit. That's the only possible explanation for him getting outplayed by Rondo. I didn't buy the injured elbow talk then, still don't now.

I think it is disrespectful and arrogant to force a trade because you signed a contract to play for them and I believe you should live up to the deal you signed with them.

Vince Carter, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett and a couple of other players have all demanded a trade in recent years.

I say if you can't stand being with a team, don't sign some long *** contracts.

This is where I don't think its so clear-cut, so black and white, with a universal standard. Using Kobe as the example. When he signed his deal in 2004, he did so with the promise that Dr. Bus would surround him with the proper talent to win, and keep the Lakers title contenders. A man to man promise. Kobe Bryant has referred to this in interview, and Dr. Bus has confirmed this notion as well, that he signed with the condition that Bus would surround him with championship level talent.

Why wouldn't Kobe believe Dr. Bus when he promised to do that? Dr. Bus had a 25 year history of doing so up to that point, what would things suddenly change? So of corse Kobe took him for his word and agreed to sign (although the team didn't have that contending roster at the time of his signing). You fast-forward three wasted seasons later (Of Kobes physical prime, mind you) and the Lakers still had a core including the likes of Smush Parker, Luke Walton, Brian Cook, Chris Mihm, Kwame Brown, and Devan George.

Now, was it wrong for Kobe to request a trade when Dr. Bus had up to that point broken his verbal agreement with Bryant? Did Kobe still play lights out in 2006/2007 despite the fact that their full agreement had yet to come to fruition? My point is, there are certain situations when a trade request isn't intrinsically wrong. Especially when you consider the end result, Bryant remaining with the team, becoming the longest tenured player with one team currently in the NBA, and back-to-back championships.

Obviously Melo never had that kind of verbal agreement with his management that Bryant had with Dr. Bus, so it's a different situation, but at least he's giving his team the chance to receive some assets in return. If Melo wanted to he could just wait out this year and go to NY, and leave Denver with nothing.

Raps08-09 Champ
01-15-2011, 09:59 PM
This is along the lines of what I think. Melo is being a realist, he's not bs-ing anybody, he is being honest, and at least giving his current team a chance to get some valuable assets in return. We now all see what happens when a star leaves a team and they get nothing in return (Cavs). To me, honesty is always more respectable than deception. Be it a superstar basketball player making his franchise and home town truly believe he was going to resign, a superstar telling his franchise that he'll play out the year but won't resign in the off-season, or in any other facet of life, honesty is always more admirable than deception.

To those of you who think Melo has quit on his team, that's a fair notion considering 20 point losses to the Clippers and Kings. But you go back to last years semis, Boston, Cavs, and tell me James didn't quit. That's the only possible explanation for him getting outplayed by Rondo. I didn't buy the injured elbow talk then, still don't now.

This is where I don't think its so clear-cut, so black and white, with a universal standard. Using Kobe as the example. When he signed his deal in 2004, he did so with the promise that Dr. Bus would surround him with the proper talent to win, and keep the Lakers title contenders. A man to man promise. Kobe Bryant has referred to this in interview, and Dr. Bus has confirmed this notion as well, that he signed with the condition that Bus would surround him with championship level talent.

Why wouldn't Kobe believe Dr. Bus when he promised to do that? Dr. Bus had a 25 year history of doing so up to that point, what would things suddenly change? So of corse Kobe took him for his word and agreed to sign (although the team didn't have that contending roster at the time of his signing). You fast-forward three wasted seasons later (Of Kobes physical prime, mind you) and the Lakers still had a core including the likes of Smush Parker, Luke Walton, Brian Cook, Chris Mihm, Kwame Brown, and Devan George.

Now, was it wrong for Kobe to request a trade when Dr. Bus had up to that point broken his verbal agreement with Bryant? Did Kobe still play lights out in 2006/2007 despite the fact that their full agreement had yet to come to fruition? My point is, there are certain situations when a trade request isn't intrinsically wrong. Especially when you consider the end result, Bryant remaining with the team, becoming the longest tenured player with one team currently in the NBA, and back-to-back championships.

Obviously Melo never had that kind of verbal agreement with his management that Bryant had with Dr. Bus, so it's a different situation, but at least he's giving his team the chance to receive some assets in return. If Melo wanted to he could just wait out this year and go to NY, and leave Denver with nothing.

I understand that it isn't so black and white and that there are other factors involved.

Like if you are a star and sign a contract when your team is winning but demand a trade when your team is sucking, I can understand that maybe you can demand a trade because you had th idea that the team would be a contender. But at the end of the day, it's still disrespectful.

Bruno
01-15-2011, 10:46 PM
I understand that it isn't so black and white and that there are other factors involved.

Like if you are a star and sign a contract when your team is winning but demand a trade when your team is sucking, I can understand that maybe you can demand a trade because you had th idea that the team would be a contender. But at the end of the day, it's still disrespectful.

I can get behind that to a certain extend, but as long as the given player is playing hard he is fulfilling the contract he signed. Each situation should be looked at individually. It's difficult to paint all trades with a wide brush because they might have different circumstances surrounding them.

I brought up Kobe because everyone loves to lump him into group of "disrespectful" players who requested a trade, without considering that there was a lot going on underneath the request. Such as team owner Dr. Bus not coming through on his man to man promise to surround Bryant with a title contending cast, which was what enticed Bryant to re-sign in the first place.

kblo247
01-15-2011, 11:09 PM

Is it also disrespectful for an executive to be telling you and your coach two different things. The problem with Kobe wasn't Kobe vs the Lakers it was Kobe/Jeanie/Phil vs Jim.

Jim felt Kwame and Smush were enough to win with. He wouldn't sign off on any deals to add talent to them an their was an article published blaming Kobe for the team not winning with an undisclosed team source (some say Magic and some say Jim). Kobe felt disrespected as you said and went off. The catch was when he went off his GM (Mitch), VP of Business (Jeanie), and coach (Phil) backed his demand which was "Trade me or give me the talent that you promised I'd have in 3 years time, and if I can't win with that talent, blame me". That was what he declared to the world on 570. His 3 main supporters all said that Jim handcuffed the chance of giving him talent and they spent a whole summer fighting for improving the team around Kobe. Kobe out right praised Lamar Odom and Luke Walton that very summer during his hold tirade as well for how hard they played and how they were always the only two guys in the gym that came early and left late like him.

After a summer of constant jabs at one another, Jerry Buss stepped back in and heard Kobe out. He chose Kobe and he also gave the power to make basketball decisions to Jeanie Buss and Mitch instead of giving Jim veto power. Kobe went to that training camp and said "Hi! My name is Kobe Bryant and all I want to do is win another ring." By the admission of Farmar, Bynum, Turiaf, and Vujacic he took them all aside and explained the situation to all of them before the season even started. He also apologized to the Los Angeles fans, the front office, and his teammates for letting his frustration over being blamed by an "insider" get to him.

He went through the season and never underperformed. He played hard at all times. He would go on and retract said request long before the team even had the number 1 record out west and before Pau was dealt there. He never let it be a distraction or mentioned it at all during the season besides in his MVP speech when he said he felt the need to once again thank Mitch for giving him the team to win with.

LA would go on to lose to Boston that Finals and when everyone else blamed Pau or Odom, Kobe said to the LA media "it is on me, they gave me talent and I didn't get it done, so it is on me"

Citing Kobe as a case of disrespect ignores that their was a political power struggle between the Buss siblings who were both trying to prove they should be given the reigns.

Also, anyone who knows their Laker history understands that what Kobe did came straight from the Magic Johnson playbook as said outright to the media "trade me or fire the coach" to get his teammates and himself the play style that he wanted implemented as well as Riley the job.

Anilyzer
01-15-2011, 11:54 PM

It's just the same. In fact, Lebron said that there was a possibility for him to stay in Cleveland, and he let them try to sell him on the idea of staying in Cleveland, to make their case.

So, whether you think Lebron really meant that, or was just using that as a ploy so Cleveland wouldn't freak out all season and try to trade him and talk him into sign and trades and demonize him in the media, or just to let Gibson and Cleveland play themselves out in the media like a bunch of tricks... is up for debate.

But Carmelo is definitely being upfront and honest, and telling Denver "thank you, but I won't be re-signing." Which is totally TOTALLY his right.

He has no obligation or reason to sign an extension in Denver or anywhere else. He is free to play where he wants, for whatever team he wants. Denver trying to push him to sign somewhere he doesn't want to be (and we will see the name calling and blame game by Denver heat up SOON) is quite classless.

I like that Carmelo stays out of the limelight on this one. Trade him to NY, or ask him if he'd go to LA, or else just trade him to a team willing to "rent" him for the rest of the season.

Denver is making it hard on themselves... yes we all KNOW Denver wants everything from Carmelo for their franchise--either all of Carmelo's star power, or else a stack of 1st round picks and players to rebuild their whole team. But where is the loyalty in THAT? Why is Denver so much better?
All they did was get lucky in the draft that he was so good.

If Denver REALLY cared about Carmelo, if they REALLY cared about the fans and he meant so much, they'd play one last great year with Carmelo and then let him go, or stay, and be friendly about it. No... instead they're trying to weasle as much draft picks and other players as they can grab.

I really, truly hope that Carmelo REFUSES to sign any extension except to the Knicks... or to the Lakers if he wants to come here.

And Denver... yeah I still remember the Kobe Bryant case and that ugly fraud of a sham... so yeah, I think they should just wave by to Carmelo, and then get those rainbow uniforms back.

Anilyzer
01-15-2011, 11:58 PM

Maybe... but Cleveland and Gibson the owner showed by their own actions afterwards that they REALLY had it coming. And still do, I guess, until they shut up about it. I mean, it's an all-you-can-eat kind of deal. You want more? Lebron will just give you some more, 35 pts at a time, and if you still miss him you can pop in a tape of "the decision" LoL

Anilyzer
01-16-2011, 12:01 AM
I mean, whatever happened to team pride?

One player leaves a team, and the whole team collapses and says "it's not fair."

*sheesh* Would any GOOD team, with pride, whether on the high school, college or pro level, in any sport, act that way?

Seriously

Raps08-09 Champ
01-16-2011, 12:15 AM
Is it also disrespectful for an executive to be telling you and your coach two different things. The problem with Kobe wasn't Kobe vs the Lakers it was Kobe/Jeanie/Phil vs Jim.

Jim felt Kwame and Smush were enough to win with. He wouldn't sign off on any deals to add talent to them an their was an article published blaming Kobe for the team not winning with an undisclosed team source (some say Magic and some say Jim). Kobe felt disrespected as you said and went off. The catch was when he went off his GM (Mitch), VP of Business (Jeanie), and coach (Phil) backed his demand which was "Trade me or give me the talent that you promised I'd have in 3 years time, and if I can't win with that talent, blame me". That was what he declared to the world on 570. His 3 main supporters all said that Jim handcuffed the chance of giving him talent and they spent a whole summer fighting for improving the team around Kobe. Kobe out right praised Lamar Odom and Luke Walton that very summer during his hold tirade as well for how hard they played and how they were always the only two guys in the gym that came early and left late like him.

After a summer of constant jabs at one another, Jerry Buss stepped back in and heard Kobe out. He chose Kobe and he also gave the power to make basketball decisions to Jeanie Buss and Mitch instead of giving Jim veto power. Kobe went to that training camp and said "Hi! My name is Kobe Bryant and all I want to do is win another ring." By the admission of Farmar, Bynum, Turiaf, and Vujacic he took them all aside and explained the situation to all of them before the season even started. He also apologized to the Los Angeles fans, the front office, and his teammates for letting his frustration over being blamed by an "insider" get to him.

He went through the season and never underperformed. He played hard at all times. He would go on and retract said request long before the team even had the number 1 record out west and before Pau was dealt there. He never let it be a distraction or mentioned it at all during the season besides in his MVP speech when he said he felt the need to once again thank Mitch for giving him the team to win with.

LA would go on to lose to Boston that Finals and when everyone else blamed Pau or Odom, Kobe said to the LA media "it is on me, they gave me talent and I didn't get it done, so it is on me"

Citing Kobe as a case of disrespect ignores that their was a political power struggle between the Buss siblings who were both trying to prove they should be given the reigns.

Also, anyone who knows their Laker history understands that what Kobe did came straight from the Magic Johnson playbook as said outright to the media "trade me or fire the coach" to get his teammates and himself the play style that he wanted implemented as well as Riley the job.

I know everyone has a different situation. I just grouped Kobe with other players who have demanded a trade regardless of situation.

But if you read my state afterward, I do understand that Kobe did play to his fullest and the team wasn't competing with him. But at the end of the day, demanding a trade from a team is always disrespectful. Different levels of disrespectful but disrespectful even in the smallest of ways. In terms of Kobe, he didn't have success after being promised so I can understand why he would demand a trade. But Kobe was really set on leaving the Lakers and called out the FO to trade him which is disrespectful even if he had a reason to want to leave.

ElMarroAfamado
01-16-2011, 12:19 AM
Well its funny to watch "NBA experts" defend what Lebron James did....and even Carmelo to a certain extent and say "its like a job...if you didnt like your job wouldnt you leave?"

blah blah blah....if they want to relate these two situations to jobs...
(melo)
If you are an employee and you have worked somewhere 8 years would you go around telling other people you want to go work somewhere else...would would you guys think then? Dont you think you would get in trouble if your employer found out?

Raps08-09 Champ
01-16-2011, 12:28 AM
Well its funny to watch "NBA experts" defend what Lebron James did....and even Carmelo to a certain extent and say "its like a job...if you didnt like your job wouldnt you leave?"

blah blah blah....if they want to relate these two situations to jobs...
(melo)
If you are an employee and you have worked somewhere 8 years would you go around telling other people you want to go work somewhere else...would would you guys think then? Dont you think you would get in trouble if your employer found out?

Normal jobs do not really have options like the options Lebron and Carmelo have.

If you want to compare a job to those guys situation, compare them to deals where you need a contract. Like if you hire a business man to make deal and hire him on contract, he has the right to leave after his contract is done.

Or like if a small company decides to rent a great worker to larger companies to make a profit, but the employee doesn't want to work with a specific big company, the small company can either stop trying to make them work for that certain big company and let them work with another big company they want to work with or let the employee go.

Kinda like Carmelo's situation. Either the Nuggets wait and let his contract
run out, or trade him to a company they want to work with.

And don't even tell me that my situation isn't possible. Because my mom's company rented her to a next door company which was bigger because she was a great employee and her company would have made a great profit from her.

kblo247
01-16-2011, 08:09 AM
I know everyone has a different situation. I just grouped Kobe with other players who have demanded a trade regardless of situation.

But if you read my state afterward, I do understand that Kobe did play to his fullest and the team wasn't competing with him. But at the end of the day, demanding a trade from a team is always disrespectful. Different levels of disrespectful but disrespectful even in the smallest of ways. In terms of Kobe, he didn't have success after being promised so I can understand why he would demand a trade. But Kobe was really set on leaving the Lakers and called out the FO to trade him which is disrespectful even if he had a reason to want to leave.

I get what you are saying and I respect that, but I do think he was more set on getting Jim Buss thrown out of power and that is why Mitch, Phil, and Jeanie all backed him from day 1 of his demand. Jim was the route problem and wouldn't allow them to make any deals or moves at the time, so I think he would have settled for being dealt over dealing with him on a daily basis. Phil didn't even extend his contract until Jim was removed from power as well, so it was like they had a political pact.

junion
01-16-2011, 08:21 AM
"it's a business"

what would make a player asking for a trade any different than a team's management just trading a player?

JayW_1023
01-16-2011, 08:58 AM
The problem is that Denver was winning before this drama started, and Melo is subduing his teammates and the organisation to a whole lotta unnecessairy distractions they simply do not NEED.

As a franchise player, it just shows alot of immaturity from Melo's side. He just cared more about being in a big marked then helping his CURRENT team win and making everyone succeed.

You can't spell Melo without ME I guess.

JayW_1023
01-16-2011, 09:04 AM
And NO you really can't blame Denver...no one wants to give up a player of Melo's caliber for peanuts. They need to act in their interest too you know.

latinofire21
01-16-2011, 09:46 AM
The problem is that Denver was winning before this drama started, and Melo is subduing his teammates and the organisation to a whole lotta unnecessairy distractions they simply do not NEED.As a franchise player, it just shows alot of immaturity from Melo's side. He just cared more about being in a big marked then helping his CURRENT team win and making everyone succeed.You can't spell Melo without ME I guess.

Where are you getting your information? The Bolded part is completely inaccurate.

Denver publicized the resigining of Carmelo all summer. When he refused to sign to "weigh his options" at seasons end, Denver went into panic mode and started looking for trades which they publicized as well.

The way you subdue these distractions you speak of is by Melo just resigining with the Nuggets so the team is happy and he stays a good franchise player?

Thought slavery was over a long time ago... didnt know it still exists!

Your portion thats in italics should read like this.

As a franchise player, it just shows alot of maturity from Melo's side. He just doesnt want to be a distraction so he is not making his true desires open to the public. He is playing out his contract and weighing all his options. He cares more about being on a contender and due to the current status of the Nuggets he wants to avoid being on another rebuilding team.[/I]You can't spell Carmelo without More I guess. He isnt satisfied without going to the ship and he needs more opportunity to win the ring he desires!

kblo247
01-16-2011, 10:21 AM
The problem is that Denver was winning before this drama started, and Melo is subduing his teammates and the organisation to a whole lotta unnecessairy distractions they simply do not NEED.

As a franchise player, it just shows alot of immaturity from Melo's side. He just cared more about being in a big marked then helping his CURRENT team win and making everyone succeed.

You can't spell Melo without ME I guess.

You are still going on about something you know nothing about.

Melo never made his situation a distraction. He never publicly asked for a trade or even said I won't re-sign with Denver. He went to his front office and said I'm not signing an extension. The fact is he shouldn't when Kenyon Martin, Billups, Nene, and JR could all be gone at the end of this year with the way their deals are structured. His front office and rookie GM made the fact he wouldn't extend public and has tried to force him into extending with Denver or any team he sends him to, which goes against the CBA and the contract that he signed in the first place.

If Carmelo didn't care about helping his team win, he wouldn't have played PF more this year than in year's past. He wouldn't lead all Sfs in rebounding. He wouldn't hold opposing SFs to a PER well below the league average. He wouldn't have been the one carrying that team when Billups, JR, andNene all started off poorly and were dinged up. If he didn't care about the team he wouldn't be the guy openly saying "we can compete for a ring if we are healthy" like multiple players on the team have said.

As for the last line, Denver can't spell win without Carmelo. He unlike anyone in his draft class has always led his team to a winning season and never missed the playoffs. He turned around a team that had a losing record for 8 straight years from the day he entered the league. He is still wearing a Nugget uniform, he is still their best player, and they still have a winning record without having their starting PF the majority of the year and without their primary backup big for most of the year because he carried that weight and banged down their with the bigs in their absence. He still to this day says he is willing to play the year out in Denver and hopefully compete for a title if his bigs are healthy. He also says he will play for wherever they send him to, but he won't extend just anywhere which it is well within his rights to do as according to that very contract that you speak about honoring.

Before you continue talking about a matter you don't even half way understand do some research. Don't vilify a guy under a scenario that you have made up in your head because you don't feel like reading and listening about the matter and just want your 5 minutes of fame on a soapbox.

DudeItsZoltan
01-16-2011, 10:55 AM
What exactly has Carmelo done wrong here? There are no parallels with him or LeBron period...

Both entered the League in the 2003 draft
Carmelo led his team to the playoffs immediately, LeBron didn't (took him two years)
LeBron, Wade and Bosh all signed short extensions in 2007 so they could do exactly what they did this summer
Carmelo signed a full extension with an option for the last year which at the time surprised the media that he didn't do what the future Heatles did
LeBron put constant pressure on the Cavs front office to bring in players via trades or free agency, which is why every year they always did something (the huge Cleveland-Chicago trade for Ben Wallace, Mo Williams, Shaq, Jamison)
Carmelo never put that pressure on his front office and played with whoever they brought in. He played with Andre Miller, AI, and Billups. He didn't over-react when Camby got dumped. He has backed every player he has ever played with. People thought he would feud with AI but instead they became friends
LeBron misled his team all the way until the summer of 2010, when he stabbed them in the back on national TV. He DIDN'T tell the front office or the players that he was leaving. He ignored his teammates, never mentioned them once.
Carmelo told the team he won't sign the extension, which is his right, and henceforth gave the team the heads-up that it would be in their best interest to trade him. Cleveland never had that opportunity. Carmelo never made a public trade request. All he has ever said is that he would like to play in New York, but he's not wearing Yankees hats or making New York themed shoes. He apologized that Chauncey has been pulled into this mess. he has been an absolute pro. So the whole point of this thread is irrelevant as Carmelo has done nothing wrong. As long as he steps on that court everyday he by far is honoring his contract.

Chronz
01-17-2011, 05:04 PM
OK someone make sense of this for me, if Melo isnt trying to get traded and truly intends on honoring his contract. Whats up with his poor play? Seems to me the guys heart just isnt in it anymore and hes playing not to get injured.

Chronz
01-17-2011, 05:11 PM
What exactly has Carmelo done wrong here? There are no parallels with him or LeBron period...

Both entered the League in the 2003 draft
Carmelo led his team to the playoffs immediately, LeBron didn't (took him two years)
LOL Bron and Melo were comparable in year one but after that it was a runaway. Dont make the mistake of assuming team play = individual contributions.

LeBron, Wade and Bosh all signed short extensions in 2007 so they could do exactly what they did this summer
Carmelo signed a full extension with an option for the last year which at the time surprised the media that he didn't do what the future Heatles did
In all likelihood Melo regrets not leaving an out clause the way they have. He has since fired his greedy agent and hired the same guy who got the 3 amigos their contracts. If Melo had the same foresight he would have spared his team their current fiasco.

LeBron put constant pressure on the Cavs front office to bring in players via trades or free agency, which is why every year they always did something (the huge Cleveland-Chicago trade for Ben Wallace, Mo Williams, Shaq, Jamison)

What does this even mean? Bron said ok to moves they made he never FORCED the moves to be made. How is this relevant?

Carmelo never put that pressure on his front office and played with whoever they brought in. He played with Andre Miller, AI, and Billups. He didn't over-react when Camby got dumped. He has backed every player he has ever played with. People thought he would feud with AI but instead they became friends

LOL its kind of easy to have faith in your management when they keep hitting home runs. This wasnt the case with Cleveland who often just took whatever they could.

LeBron misled his team all the way until the summer of 2010, when he stabbed them in the back on national TV. He DIDN'T tell the front office or the players that he was leaving. He ignored his teammates, never mentioned them once.

Prove that he misled them because to me it seems like he gave them all the time they needed and decided against resigning when the time came.

Carmelo told the team he won't sign the extension, which is his right, and henceforth gave the team the heads-up that it would be in their best interest to trade him.
LOL So telling your team ahead of time that your quitting is honorable?

Cleveland never had that opportunity.
False, they just refused to S&T.

Carmelo never made a public trade request. All he has ever said is that he would like to play in New York, but he's not wearing Yankees hats or making New York themed shoes. He apologized that Chauncey has been pulled into this mess. he has been an absolute pro. So the whole point of this thread is irrelevant as Carmelo has done nothing wrong. As long as he steps on that court everyday he by far is honoring his contract.So long as his performance in those games lags beneath his abilities and everyone in the building knows his heart isnt in these regular season games he has already dishonored his contract.