PDA

View Full Version : Chicago's Support Players

Tony_Starks
01-15-2011, 12:14 AM
I made a remark a while back that Chicago had a nice bench and support guys such as Thomas, Gibson, Watson....etc. and many Bulls fans totally bit my head off! The very mention of Thomas was scoffed at, "Gibson doesn't even play" and blah blah blah.

Well fast forward with Noah out and Boozer having been out old man Thomas is holding it down. 18 brds tonight. Very solid D. Gibson has been doing his thing as well. Watson also.

So the question is now with all that do you still feel their support players are inadequate?

RZZZA
01-15-2011, 12:18 AM
Watson, not Watkins.

We actually had an argument in the Bulls forum earlier about Watson. I said I liked him, others disagreed vehemently with me. I like him for many reasons but his biggest drawback is that he sucks at running the offense. He's a shoot-first PG. Some people even seem to half-seriously suggest making him our SG.

As for Kurt Thomas, he's been a pleasant surprise, definitely holding it down for us with Noah out.

Taj Gibson has been in quite a slump since his concussion especially with his short and mid range jumpers.

Kyle Korver has been in a shooting slump for over a month now, I'm losing patience with him though few others seem to be. Overall, everyone is optimistic about him and say that he'll come out of his slump soon.

Ronnie Brewer is a damn stud, he does so many little things to help this team, things that aren't even reflected in a stat line.

Omer Asik is kinda clumsy and sometimes seems shy about going straight up and dunking when he gets the ball under the hoop, but I think he's been showing improvement and doing a pretty good job. He's been practicing his free throws, too, and it shows.

Tony_Starks
01-15-2011, 12:24 AM
Watson, not Watkins.

We actually had an argument in the Bulls forum earlier about Watson. I said I liked him, others disagreed vehemently with me. I like him for many reasons but his biggest drawback is that he sucks at running the offense. He's a shoot-first PG. Some people even seem to half-seriously suggest making him our SG.

As for Kurt Thomas, he's been a pleasant surprise, definitely holding it down for us with Noah out.

Taj Gibson has been in quite a slump since his concussion especially with his short and mid range jumpers.

Kyle Korver has been in a shooting slump for over a month now, I'm losing patience with him though few others seem to be. Overall, everyone is optimistic about him and say that he'll come out of his slump soon.

Ronnie Brewer is a damn stud, he does so many little things to help this team, things that aren't even reflected in a stat line.

Omer Asik is kinda clumsy and sometimes seems shy about going straight up and dunking when he gets the ball under the hoop, but I think he's been showing improvement and doing a pretty good job. He's been practicing his free throws, too, and it shows.

My bad, good looking out. Yeah I always thought Watson had a nice lil game when he was with Golden State. He's no superstar but he's very capable.

Thomas is always going to hold it down, he's the kind of guy you love to have in the playoffs. Can defend the 4 and 5, occasionally knock down the jumper, and rebounds like a mother!

Im actually shocked Brewer doesn't start over Bogans. Im guessing the coach feels that Bogans is a more versatile defender but offensively he brings nothing to the table......

RZZZA
01-15-2011, 12:26 AM
Brewer is a superior defender to Bogans, I honestly don't see anything Bogans does better than Brewer. Thibs is weird, he has his reasons to keep starting/playing Bogans but I don't know if I could agree with them...or even explain them, really.

D1JM
01-15-2011, 12:46 AM
watson is more like like a combo guard. I see him more as a SG than a PG. When he is on the floor he isnt required to score, but more distribute the ball (which probably isnt his thing). The only game he was a starter, he scored like 30+ plus. Kurt thomas has been a blessing. We've missed noah, but kurt can hold his own.

however, our bench is very inconsistent.

Aapox
01-15-2011, 12:46 AM
Thibs has said that he likes Brewer coming off the bench (probably due to his energy and all-around game): http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bulls/post/_/id/2810/thibs-likes-brewer-off-the-bench

Personally, as a Bulls fan, I've been happy with every single player on this team, even Bogans. Bogans, Taj, and Korver have all struggled, but they haven't hurt us either. There's a big difference between not playing well and playing to the point where you're detrimental to your team.

chicago lulz
01-15-2011, 12:49 AM
I'd like to see some consistency from out bench. There have been games where we received little to no help from them. They played great today, and if they can do that consistently, I'll be muy happy.

Bullsfan22
01-15-2011, 12:50 AM
good bench but horribly inconsistent.

RZZZA
01-15-2011, 12:52 AM
for whatever reason, it seems like people will get it into their heads that they're going to forgive or overlook one guys mistakes more than someone elses.

When Korver or Rose miss a ton of shots, it's ok, they coast by on their reputations, ignore it, forgive it.

When CJ or Deng do something to mess up it seems people are much quicker to say "They suck!".

CJ Watson isn't the greatest PG, no. He isn't great at running offense or creating shots for others, but he seems to do his job well enough... to maintain the lead for us while Rose gets some rest. He did that job well enough tonight. Thats all we really use him for, and i think he's pretty reliable in that regard.

You can make an argument that we don't use him correctly though, I definitely like to see him play alongside Rose more often

kingbrentg
01-15-2011, 01:05 AM
good bench but horribly inconsistent.

And horribly misused at times.