PDA

View Full Version : Zone D

TheVillain
01-15-2011, 12:09 AM
If you were going to build the best zone d, what type of players would you want? What current NBA players would you take? Strictly defensive purposes don't worry about offense.

Corey
01-15-2011, 12:21 AM
I wouldn't.

Shooters are too good in the NBA. An effective zone can't work on a nightly basis as the main defensive set.

Joshtd1
01-15-2011, 12:22 AM
Yep, zones are just too easy to beat if you have good movement, and knowing where to be.

However just for the threads sake, I'd want my two quickest players up top, and good length at the bottom.

CHANGO
01-15-2011, 12:25 AM
Speed and athleticism.

D-Rose
D-Wade
Lebron
Josh Smith
D-Howard

A deffensive BEAST.

sp1derm00
01-15-2011, 03:48 AM
Rondo
Ariza
Lebron
KG
Dwight

Basically, on the perimeter you've got players that play the passing lanes very well in Rondo, Ariza, and Lebron. Too much passing would increase the percentage of turnovers, making the zone more effective. Lebron and Ariza are also long enough to affect a lot of shots. In the middle, KG is very effective with his agility and length to stop penetration and force jumpers, much like he does on the Celtics right now. Last line of defense would be Dwight, it's like a no brainer.

John Walls Era
01-15-2011, 04:54 AM
Speed and athleticism.

D-Rose
D-Wade
Lebron
Josh Smith
D-Howard

A deffensive BEAST.

I like this, probably have to choose Rondo instead since hes a better defender.

But I don't like Zone D... you can't camp in the lane (D-3 secs) like in college, which makes it difficult when teams move the ball and find cutting players. ALso like people have mentioned, too may great shooters in the NBA. In HS, my team used a 1-2-2, but that would get ripped apart in the nba. 2-3 is probably the most used zone, but no one uses it all the time.

The Final Boss
01-15-2011, 05:26 AM
Speed and athleticism.

D-Rose
D-Wade
Lebron
Josh Smith
D-Howard

A deffensive BEAST.

Lol D' Rose... You're cute.

JiffyMix88
01-15-2011, 05:51 AM
Steve Nash
Ben Gordon
Corey Maggette
Amare' Stoudemire
Andrea Bargnani

its zone wth

redsox0717
01-15-2011, 05:58 AM
Zones are good to mix it up, but building a primary defense around it in the NBA is a recipe for disaster, even if you could hand pick players like in this horribly unrealistic scenario.

Storch
01-15-2011, 06:23 AM
Zone defense? Okay

Jason Kidd
Shane Battier
Ron Artest
Kevin Garnett
Dwight Howard

Storch
01-15-2011, 06:23 AM
Zone defense? Okay

Jason Kidd
Shane Battier
Ron Artest
Kevin Garnett
Dwight Howard

KnicksorBust
01-15-2011, 05:52 PM
Shout-outs to the unmentioned:

Chris Paul
Thabo Sefolosha
Tayshaun Prince
Lamar Odom
Tyson Chandler

nightBULL
01-17-2011, 03:28 AM
Steve Nash
Ben Gordon
Corey Maggette
Amare' Stoudemire
Andrea Bargnani

its zone wth

Lol, replace Nash with Calderon and you have championship level D.

Giraffes Rule
01-17-2011, 04:05 AM
Does zone D ever work? Every time I see a team go to it it's because a team is getting their ***** kicked, and it doesn't ever seem to turn a game around...

TylerSL
01-17-2011, 05:48 AM
I hate Zone D, wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to easy to break......

JermanJaysFan
01-17-2011, 09:28 AM
Does zone D ever work? Every time I see a team go to it it's because a team is getting their ***** kicked, and it doesn't ever seem to turn a game around...

It works when a team drops into it for a possession or two- it can throw off the other team's attack. But if they stick with it too long, it gets exploited.

NYKalltheway
01-17-2011, 03:50 PM
An actual zone defense and not what is portrayed as zone defense:

Rondo
Wade
Iguodala
Love
Howard

DerekRE_3
01-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Like people said, zones are best used as a changeup or against a poor shooting lineup. Playing zone also makes defensive rebounding tougher. It's not something you want to use every possession of every game.