PDA

View Full Version : Does a player on a sub .500 team deserve to be an All-Star?

Korman12
01-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Apologies if this thread or something similar has already been created.

Listening to the Mavs/Spurs game, Jeff Van Gundy adamantly pointed out his opinion that no player from a losing team should ever be an All-Star.

Thinking about it, out of the four major professional team sports, the NBA is the only one where this idea is an essential component to the thought process of "What is an All-Star?"

For example, Cowboys OLB DeMarcus Ware is on the starting Pro Bowl roster (along with several of his teammates) after having an unquestionably good season, despite his team going 6-10 on the year. The same can be said about players in the NHL and MLB.

Probably the biggest reason for the philosophy is the fact that the NBA All-Star team is much smaller than the other sport's All-Star teams, but even if the rosters expanded (say, to 18-20 players), would the ideas change?

Anyway, do players on sub .500 teams deserve to play in the All-Star game?

chicago lulz
01-14-2011, 10:47 PM
i think if the player is truly playing like an all-star and his stats aren't based on inflation from being on a sub 500 team, then sure, they deserve to make it. But how do you measure that?

JPHX
01-14-2011, 10:48 PM
i dont think its fair if a guy is putting up insane numbers but it doesnt translate into wins cause his supporting cast is worth a sack of nickels. if your stats show your tearing it up, then you should be recognized for it.

...Or they can add an "Almost All Star Game". So everyones happy. :)

Khalifa21
01-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Yes, they do.

Being an All-Star isn't a team accolade, so it shouldn't really factor in record. Of course a teams record is gonna be a deciding factor but it's rather to celebrate a player's individual play.

asandhu23
01-14-2011, 10:50 PM
Yes, two players I believe who deserve an All Star spot are Kevin Love and Monta Ellis.

They are being judged on how the rest of their team is playing. They have been playing at All Star levels while rest of their teams go through hot and cold runs.

Look at Ellis's case. Find one player on the Warriors who's been consistent other than him and Dorell Wright?

kblo247
01-14-2011, 10:54 PM
Out East? Perhaps
Out west? Hell no

The fact is the precedent out west has been set that you need to be 500 or better. If you didn't Al Jefferson, Zach Randolph pre-Memphis, and Monta would have made it yearly. I get that the main question is does Nash, Love, and Blake deserve to be all stars?

Blake - Nope as he faces a double precedent(rookie and west's past selections)
Love - Maybe but in terms of his lack winning and defense, nope not over Aldridge, Odom, or even Z-bo for that matter if he gets to 500.
Nash - Nope as Westbrook, Parker, and Deron are helping their teams win more.

Out west winning is valued and harder so the winning teams and their players should be honored.

Out east, sure you can have players from losing teams since playoff teams are under 500.

* I'd love for Monta to make it but Kobe, Deron, Paul, Westbrook, and Manu deserve it more at this time because of their contributions to a winning team

asandhu23
01-14-2011, 11:02 PM
* I'd love for Monta to make it but Kobe, Deron, Paul, Westbrook, and Manu deserve it more at this time because of their contributions to a winning team

Thing is these guys have way way way better teams than Monta or Kevin.

JPHX
01-14-2011, 11:06 PM
its more of a popularity contest anyway. Or if your native country has a billion people like Yao then youll get in everytime.

Phenomenonsense
01-14-2011, 11:07 PM
Lol arguing precedent is stupid. Slavery should have never been abolished because of precedent! :O

Just because something happens in the past doesn't mean it shouldn't change. Blake is an All-star if I've ever seen one.

MrfadeawayJB
01-14-2011, 11:13 PM
The allstar game is an absolute joke anyways....half the time it isnt even about the stats a player is putting up, but rather a popularity contest....can someone tell me why Shaq is an allstar? There is no statistical reasoning behind that

ccugrad1
01-14-2011, 11:22 PM
Kevin Love answers this question as yes!

Chronz
01-14-2011, 11:25 PM
What bugs me is that the magical cutoff is at .500 winning %, who the **** came up with that?

Sadds The Gr8
01-14-2011, 11:28 PM
yes. its not his fault his team sucks ***.

mzgrizz
01-14-2011, 11:34 PM
^^^ Precisely; it's an arbitrary cutoff.
If you are putting up the stats; get the votes from the fans or coaches; you ought to be in the beauty contest.
Personally, I think 66-75% of each team should be selected by the coaches and the others by popular vote.

Vinny Mac
01-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Yea Kevin Love and Blake Griffin deserve to make the game, and for that matter, START for the West. Griffin could get voted in as a starter cause hes so popular, but its gonna be a crying shame cause Love prob won't even make it.