PDA

View Full Version : LaMarcus Aldridge's All-Star motivation

Gators123
01-14-2011, 06:44 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=Aldridge-110114

The scout notices a difference in LaMarcus Aldridge that wasn't there when Aldridge entered the NBA 4 years ago.

"I see something in his eyes," the scout says. "I can see he's really motivated.

"I think he's hell-bent on getting the chance to get an All-Star spot."

The scout couldn't be more right. And the scout has no idea why.

Perhaps if the scout had been in Portland for the Trail Blazers' game against the Miami Heat last Sunday he would have seen the reason. He would have seen Aldridge's best stat line of the season, with 31 points, 14 rebounds and seven assists. He would have seen Aldridge score six of Portland's final eight points in regulation, on a night Aldridge said he "had a little more energy."

The story could be found in the stands. Aldridge's mother, Georgia, was at the Rose Garden. Usually she'll pick spots on the schedule when the Trail Blazers have a cluster of home games and leave her home in Dallas to come watch her son play. The Heat game was her first of the season. Traveling has become much more difficult.

"She has cancer," Aldridge says. "It started out as breast cancer. It spread under the lymph nodes under her arms. She's fighting cancer."

She was diagnosed during the preseason, and Aldridge received permission to leave the team to be with her. Even after he returned to Portland his mind was still back in Dallas. He scored only eight points in the season opener against Phoenix and shot 38 percent in the first three games.

"At first it did kind of get to me a little bit," Aldridge says. "I wasn't playing as good. [Now] I've taken it as motivation to go out and play hard and taking out my frustration on the court. The other thing is to do as much as I can to put myself in the All-Star light. If I make it, that would give her something to look forward to other than having chemo."

(Click the link for the full article)

poleandreel
01-14-2011, 06:55 PM
durant
carmelo
dirk
gasol
duncan
griffin
love
scola
jefferson
millsap

there are so many forwards ahead of him or just forwards in general. This is a sad story though

chicago lulz
01-14-2011, 06:55 PM
I really have no idea why the Bulls gave this guy up for Tyrus. But that's over now. Always been a fan, and he certainly deserves some all star recognition if he isn't getting any.

LTBaByyy
01-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Should go to the East!! David lee made it for crying out loud

If he was on the bucks, that would be a dangerous team with him jennings and bogut!

Im gonna play as tge bucks in 2k and trade Redds huge expiring contract and Larry sanders for him

Sadds The Gr8
01-14-2011, 07:03 PM
durant
carmelo
dirk
gasol
duncan
griffin
love
scola
jefferson
millsap

there are so many forwards ahead of him or just forwards in general. This is a sad story though

I dont think Jefferson, scola, and Millsap are ahed of him.

tangent12
01-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Damn, touching story... Wish his mom the best and i'm sure she'll beat that *****.

My good wishes to Aldridge and his family as well.

210Don
01-14-2011, 07:22 PM
i hope his mom is gunna be okay. he seems like a cool dude. hope they get through it.

Klivlend
01-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Damn, touching story... Wish his mom the best and i'm sure she'll beat that *****.

Wow, this is the first post of yours I don't hate.

+1

KingPosey
01-14-2011, 07:33 PM
my mom is going through the EXACT same thing right now. No bull ****.

goblazers7
01-14-2011, 07:42 PM
Never knew this until now. Hopefully he makes it

MackShock
01-14-2011, 07:54 PM
got LA on my fantasy team. HES BEASTIN! esp since oden, pryzbilla and roy are out..hes the number one option and has picked up the scoring load...id give him the nod..except the blazers record isnt the best

iCOOKiE MONSTER
01-14-2011, 07:57 PM

Hope she gets well bro

Gators123
01-14-2011, 07:59 PM

Hope she gets well soon!

JayW_1023
01-15-2011, 05:13 AM
He has been so underrated this year. He is the reason Portland is stayin in the win column after Roy went down.

JiffyMix88
01-15-2011, 05:33 AM
I really have no idea why the Bulls gave this guy up for Tyrus. But that's over now. Always been a fan, and he certainly deserves some all star recognition if he isn't getting any.

hindsights 20/20.... I for one have been coming to the website since 06(but use to just read other ppls opinions) and A LOT of bulls fans now r acting as if they wanted Aldridge the whole time when I honestly can't remember one being upset. Most ppl were happy either way and the others were excited about getting tyrus and i for one was one of those ppl. knowing what i know today(us getting rose and noah via draft) wouldn't change anything

JiffyMix88
01-15-2011, 05:33 AM
He has been so underrated this year. He is the reason Portland is stayin in the win column after Roy went down.

eh matthews more or less imo

ilovemyangel
01-15-2011, 06:20 PM

your first sensible post. kudos

Bruno
01-15-2011, 07:58 PM
He's been playing lights out recently.

The west has a lot of fringe all-star forwards (Love, Odom, Aldridge) who nobody expected to be in the discussion before the year started.

heathonater
01-15-2011, 10:02 PM
i doubt he gets an all star bid, but he's completely changed his game ever since playing in dallas a few weeks ago. when roy went out for perhaps the season, aldridge became more of a low post scorer as opposed to the jump shooter he was in his first few seasons. aldridge's rebounding has improved also, especially his offensive rebounding.

mrblisterdundee
01-15-2011, 10:18 PM
His mom's cancer isn't going to get LaMarcus Aldridge to the All-Star game, although maybe Pau Gasol and Blake Griffin will stop by and give her some flowers.

JayW_1023
01-16-2011, 07:32 AM
eh matthews more or less imo

Matthews is playing great. But LaMarcus is the focal point. They run pretty much very play through him and he is responding.

If the West wasn't so loaded on great forwards, Aldridge would be an all-star.