PDA

View Full Version : establish your core nba beliefs here

AlvaROD
01-14-2011, 06:36 PM
-The PER stat is overrated.

-Clear roles... and players who accept those roles... will often trump talent.

-No team can win a championship without an identity AND clear roles for its top 9 players. (See Cleveland's rotating players in and out of the lineup in the middle of the playoffs.)

-PG is the most exciting, creative "position" in all of sports.

-99% of players who cannot execute a pick-and-roll successfully will have minimal long-term value in the L. Oddly enough, that percentage drops to 27% for guys who can't defend the pick-and-roll.

-Most NBA players are athletic enough to be (at the very least) solid defensively. The difference is intelligence, effort and will.

-It is OK for NBA arenas to go an entire game without playing "Welcome to the Jungle". It is also OK for their to be relative silence as the PG walks the ball up the court with 4 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter. The 7-second blast of music isn't helping anything.

-Beware the guy who posts career highs in a contract year.
Beware the guy who posts good stats on bad teams (with low efficiency).

-The 22-foot shot is STILL the worst shot in basketball.

-Home teams in the middle of a big run will ALWAYS be rewarded with a phantom "and-one" call. 87% of the time, this will be followed by a timeout by the away team and Abe scoffing at the call as they show the replay going into commercial.

-Most NBA fans are rubes.

-If winning in the regular season to you is the main thing, Lebron is the best player in the nba....If winning in the playoffs is your cup of tea then Kobe is still the best player in the nba.

ect.

sep11ie
01-14-2011, 06:44 PM
Most NBA players are African American

Refs suck

Stern is tuuurrribbbbble

The ball is round(for now)

MackShock
01-14-2011, 06:47 PM
- PG is like the QB..hardest position to play

- I like big men who can stretch defenses and hit threes

- Most NBA fans are surface fans

- Most NBA fans only like the player and not the team

- Superstars will always get the and1's calls in crunch time (see Kobe)

- Many players are overpaid. People want to make the NBA for money. =(

- Large market/reputable/historical teams will always have the favor of the refs (Lakers, Celtics, Spurs)

chicago lulz
01-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Stern is the devil
the refs are his demons
everyone's going to hell

magichatnumber9
01-14-2011, 07:02 PM
My core NBA belief is this.... God should never allow Chicago another championship as long as I live.

jrm2054
01-14-2011, 07:03 PM
1.Lebron is worshiped like a god by Stern and if you attack him Nike will have you murdered.
2. If you shoot a shot backwards you get the ball back because backward shots are cool.
3. There will be a lockout next year.
4.Chris Paul is the best point guard in the league.
5. Chris Bosh looks like a predator.
6. Stern is the devil

ModusOperandi
01-14-2011, 07:06 PM
1. The NBA has less parity than the MLB.

2. The Game is more entertaining when it is played as a team-game rather than as a collection of individuals.

3. The NBA has become a joke and is only concerned with ego and marketing; it has become morally bankrupt.

GeekInThePink
01-14-2011, 07:22 PM
1. The Referees are jokes.
2. PG is by far the hardest position to play.
3. "Superstars" get more calls, which is unfair.
4. You will NEVER see a player play 15 years+ on a team ever again. Due to injuries or wanting to team up with their friends.

GeekInThePink
1. The Referees are jokes.
2. PG is by far the hardest position to play.
3. "Superstars" get more calls, which is unfair.
4. You will NEVER see a player play 15 years+ on a team ever again. Due to injuries or wanting to team up with their friends.

whitemamba33
Being a ref is the hardest position on the court...period. Every call is repeatedly scrutinized and questioned They are going to get yelled at if they make the call, and they are going to get yelled at if they don't.

It doesn't help that most of the rules are subjective, and often based on force. It's not easy to judge force when you are dealing with players that are 7 feet tall and almost 300 pounds.

Not only that, they need to put up with the players that lean on the rules to try and draw fouls...a.k.a: the floppers.

Every team in the league has fans that think the refs are out to get them. If you ask the Lakers fans, they'll tell you the refs dont' want the Lakers to 3-peat because that is bad for the NBA. If you ask the Heat fans, they will tell you that the NBA hates the refs and are out to get them. If you ask fans of the smaller market teams, they will tell you that the refs are always trying to keep them down because there is no room for them at the top. What's more likely? That every team has refs that are purposely out to get them, or that sometimes our bias gets the best of us and we blame the refs for a tough loss?

If I had to pick one core belief I have, it's that the refs "don't get no respect" . (Rodney Dangerfield reference).

Korman12
01-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Of the four major professional sports, the NBA is more despised than any other by non-NBA fans.

An extreme lack of league parity is partly to blame for the preceding statement.

David Stern, although hated, is not a horrible commissioner. He did a lot more for this league than 99% of fans will ever give him credit for.

After the goalie in hockey and quarterback in football, no position is more important than the point guard.

The run and gun style of offense, while exciting, probably will never produce an NBA champion.

A true NBA superstar will always be bigger and more popular than one in any other professional team sport in the US.

Sacrificing is extremely crucial to the actual game.

And about 4,000 other things I can't write right now.

MackShock
01-14-2011, 07:46 PM
What's more likely? That every team has refs that are purposely out to get them, or that sometimes our bias gets the best of us and we blame the refs for a tough loss?

If I had to pick one core belief I have, it's that the refs "don't get no respect" . (Rodney Dangerfield reference).

Damn..this is treal talk..I havent seen a post this blunt in a while...props.

We are probably all bias and will always scapegoat the referees for a tough loss..

I honestly do think superstars get calls though..the NBA isnt for the fans..its to make money..although this is no secret.

Tim Donaghy explained it pretty well..but I dont believe every game is rigged like the 2002 playoffs.

If it were all equality, you wouldnt see the Lakers, Celtics, Spurs and powerhouse teams on ESPN and TNT all the time. they would show more of the weak teams and everyteam would get an equal share at a national audience..

Except it doesnt work that way..the NBA is out to make money/ratings..of course they will get higher ratings showcasing the high profile teams..

sad but true.

AI4MVP
01-14-2011, 07:47 PM
Hard work, chemistry, brother-hood, heart > talent

Dr. RPG
01-14-2011, 08:07 PM
That nba fans in general (hardcore or casual) talk about which player is better and have fights about it when it's the TEAM or which team is better they should talk about. In other words...

90% of nba fans like players more then the team
5% of nba fans care about the other team failing then there own team succeeding (aka hate on lakers and heat)
5% of nba fans who actually care about their own team more then the players.

ManRam
01-14-2011, 08:09 PM
Being a ref is the hardest position on the court...period. Every call is repeatedly scrutinized and questioned They are going to get yelled at if they make the call, and they are going to get yelled at if they don't.

It doesn't help that most of the rules are subjective, and often based on force. It's not easy to judge force when you are dealing with players that are 7 feet tall and almost 300 pounds.

Not only that, they need to put up with the players that lean on the rules to try and draw fouls...a.k.a: the floppers.

Every team in the league has fans that think the refs are out to get them. If you ask the Lakers fans, they'll tell you the refs dont' want the Lakers to 3-peat because that is bad for the NBA. If you ask the Heat fans, they will tell you that the NBA hates the refs and are out to get them. If you ask fans of the smaller market teams, they will tell you that the refs are always trying to keep them down because there is no room for them at the top. What's more likely? That every team has refs that are purposely out to get them, or that sometimes our bias gets the best of us and we blame the refs for a tough loss?

Well said.

Ref-bashing is dumb: that's my belief.

I forget who said it, but I think every player should be forced to ref a game once, and face the scrutiny, the multiple angles, slow mo, etc that we have the luxury of seeing...and see how much they whine then.

Also, the PG position is being incredibly overrated here.

Oh, and conspiracy theorists usually are in their mid-teens, especially those who think Stern is to blame for everything and fixes games.

abe_froman
01-14-2011, 08:13 PM
too many fans are to inlove with the idea of "purity" for position players(a pure/real center,pure/real sg,ect.)...in fact there's no such thing

MackShock
01-14-2011, 08:14 PM
That nba fans in general (hardcore or casual) talk about which player is better and have fights about it when it's the TEAM or which team is better they should talk about. In other words...

90% of nba fans like players more then the team
5% of nba fans care about the other team failing then there own team succeeding (aka hate on lakers and heat)
5% of nba fans who actually care about their own team more then the players.

im the latter 10 percent..not gonna lie..i love watching my warriors...and i want to see them win.. but im a lakers basher..only cuz they win all the time..gotta give em credit though.

Dr. RPG
01-14-2011, 08:24 PM
im the latter 10 percent..not gonna lie..i love watching my warriors...and i want to see them win.. but im a lakers basher..only cuz they win all the time..gotta give em credit though.

in a way that makes a lot of sense since your team is in the same division as the lakers so the hate is understandable :D.

EDIT: I'm talking about for example lakers fans last year wanted the cavs to lose more so then the celtics....ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! and why is that...because they want lebron to fail. Think about that for a second, lakers fans want Lebron to fail more then the celtics, there rival since the 60s for crying out loud. Now it's the heat for the same reason. That's pathetic.

Not all lakers fans were like that and im sure a good number have more hate for the celtics but the majority...not even close.

Klivlend
01-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Hard work, chemistry, brother-hood, heart > talent

I think Keven Durant said it, "When talent fails to work hard, hard work beats talent"

It was something to that affect, at any rate.

Korman12
01-14-2011, 09:19 PM
too many fans are to inlove with the false belief of "purity" for position players(a pure/real center,pure/real sg,ect.)...in fact there's no such thing

This is a really good one.

D Roses Bulls
01-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Well said.

Ref-bashing is dumb: that's my belief.

I forget who said it, but I think every player should be forced to ref a game once, and face the scrutiny, the multiple angles, slow mo, etc that we have the luxury of seeing...and see how much they whine then.

Also, the PG position is being incredibly overrated here.

Oh, and conspiracy theorists usually are in their mid-teens, especially those who think Stern is to blame for everything and fixes games.

thats not true, you being a magic fan you should remember everyone talkin about the magic-cavs two years ago and how the NBA was trying to make sure it was kobe vs. lebron. it was even covered on ESPN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-J4mZOcdDE

Testaverde16
01-14-2011, 09:29 PM
anyone who loses will always blame the refs.

Testaverde16
01-14-2011, 09:31 PM
in a way that makes a lot of sense since your team is in the same division as the lakers so the hate is understandable :D.

EDIT: I'm talking about for example lakers fans last year wanted the cavs to lose more so then the celtics....ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! and why is that...because they want lebron to fail. Think about that for a second, lakers fans want Lebron to fail more then the celtics, there rival since the 60s for crying out loud. Now it's the heat for the same reason. That's pathetic.

Not all lakers fans were like that and im sure a good number have more hate for the celtics but the majority...not even close.

I think a lot of us wanted that because we wanted to beat the celtics.

krazylegz
01-14-2011, 09:49 PM
the nba is as fake a pro wrestling
david stern is a reptilian in human form

John Walls Era
01-14-2011, 09:51 PM
-David Stern isn't that bad :hide:
-Reffing isn't terrible, but they are affected way too easily by fans, coaches and players
-The days of building a team via draft and years together are over

Tony_Starks
01-14-2011, 09:54 PM
- The mid-range jumper is dying.

-The low post game is dying.

-Lots of psd'ers google stats to win arguments instead of just actually watching games.

-Laker fans are hated and stereotyped more than any other fan base.

-A legit "hater" is someone that finds a way to discredit a player no matter how good he is i.e. "Derrick Rose doesn't get to the line enough" or "(So and so) is only good because....." blah blah blah......

-A team that doesn't play D will never win a championship. EVER.

- Rebounding and Defense win championships.

-MVP is a popularity contest and has lost credibility.

-Blaming refs is for suckas.

-As much as I hate Boston, they are one of the best teams in the league and actually play the right way.

- Apparently Kobe is the only player to ever win a championship with help from teammates. Every other great player won completely and utterly on their own.

MickeyMgl
01-14-2011, 10:17 PM
- Superstars will always get the and1's calls in crunch time (see Kobe)

Among the worst examples you could have chosen. Might be the superstar who gets the fewest superstar calls. If he gets the call, video will usually show he earned it. It also often shows many he should have gotten but didn't.

Better examples: Wade, Iverson, James

- Large market/reputable/historical teams will always have the favor of the refs (Lakers, Celtics, Spurs)

Spurs fans used to complain about this back when they first started contending. It's interesting that now they're considered to be among the teams favored by refs. You didn't mention the Bulls, Sixers, Pistons, or Rockets though. Could it be that GOOD teams get the calls because they tend to get fouled more?

asandhu23
01-14-2011, 10:44 PM
1. NBA is rigged.

2. Miami Heat Trio act along with The Decision and the return of Lakers - Celtics rivalry was orchestrated by the NBA. Stern wanted LeBron to become the NBA villain because having two good guys in him and Kobe wasn't working out. People love " Evil defeated by Good" scenarios.

3. Spurs won all those championships as an attempt by Stern to gain popularity in Spain. This is also why Pau is on the Lakers.

4. Blake Griffin is the Stern's new toy. Expect a lot of BS "superstar calls".

Sixerlover
01-15-2011, 12:21 AM
David Stern isn't as bad as people are making him out to be.

MackShock
01-15-2011, 02:21 AM
Among the worst examples you could have chosen. Might be the superstar who gets the fewest superstar calls. If he gets the call, video will usually show he earned it. It also often shows many he should have gotten but didn't.

Better examples: Wade, Iverson, James

Hmmm good observation, but its a little faint to say that the best player in the game gets the least foul calls

Spurs fans used to complain about this back when they first started contending. It's interesting that now they're considered to be among the teams favored by refs. You didn't mention the Bulls, Sixers, Pistons, or Rockets though. Could it be that GOOD teams get the calls because they tend to get fouled more?

maybe..but these teams still get the calls when theyre in rebuilding mode (kinda)

:shrug:

MackShock
01-15-2011, 02:24 AM
Stern is a douche...he wont even let players wear their headbands upside down anymore cuz they think its disrespectful to jerry west..wth is that.....bs...

abe_froman
01-15-2011, 02:24 AM
David Stern isn't as bad as people are making him out to be.

this is actually a pretty good one,or as i was going to say "david stern isnt an evil mastemind,running a giant conspiracy thats out to get you"

koLohe2133
01-15-2011, 02:42 AM
Rigged.

End thread.

MackShock
01-15-2011, 09:29 PM
The All Star Game is a popularity contest.

^^ Realest statement ever made.