View Full Version : The All-Star Debate: Love v. Griffin

alencp3
01-14-2011, 02:48 PM
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/01/14/the-all-star-debate-love-v-griffin/

I think both should make the team, but Griffin is more worthy IMO

What do u think?

Hawkeye15
01-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Love's numbers are something not seen in many years. He deserves it over Blake imo, but I wouldn't be upset in the slightest if it went the other way around. Blake is having a great season as well.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=griffbl01&y1=2011&p2=loveke01&y2=2011

Statistically, Love is simply having the better year. No way of arguing that really. However, we need to factor in the following: What do most fans like to see at all star game? Some guy hitting a couple of three's, and grabbing every board, or some dude dunking with his junk if he wanted to?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Love has better stats but Blake is more entertaining

For what I now people want to see an entertaining game at the all-star weekend and that's why I think Blake will make it.

Sadds The Gr8
01-14-2011, 03:00 PM
i honestly don't care. both of them are so sick...i'll be happy for anyone of them who gets in. It'd be great of both got in though

tangent12
01-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Blake is an all around better player and athlete than Love so he should make it over Love.

Hawkeye15
01-14-2011, 03:06 PM
Blake is an all around better player and athlete than Love so he should make it over Love.

No he isn't. Not right now. All around better player? Um, Love is the best rebounder in the game, chips in 21.5 points, and hits 3's and free throws like Nash. What are you talking about???

td0tsfinest
01-14-2011, 03:06 PM
If Melo does get traded in time, it may open up a spot for both of them. But if I had to pick one, it would be Love but Blake is having an awesome year and deserves to be there too.

DaBUU
01-14-2011, 03:08 PM
bot need to get in. Love especially, BG is still only a rookie and that should be a factor if there needs to be a choice. But both deserve a spot.

THE MTL
01-14-2011, 03:11 PM
With team's records such a factor, will either of them even make it????

I say the only reason they have a chance is because with Yao winning the West Centers, the Stern picks a replacement for him (most likely a West PF as a C). And then the coaches get to vote in a West PF as a center as well.

And then if Melo is on the East by then it opens up more space, but then again these replacements could be given to the very deserving guards like Monta Ellis, Tony Parker, etc.

DoMeFavors
01-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Love deserves it a lot more, Love is avg like 21 and 15.
Griffin will be a lot better next year and will be an all star but Love deserves it.

ChiTownPacerFan
01-14-2011, 03:17 PM
This is very simple. Who would I rather watch in an All-Star Game? Blake. Who is more deserving from a statistical standpoint? Slight edge to Love. Bottom line: they should both be in the All-Star Game.

LTBaByyy
01-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Love has average highlights and crazy numbers and stats!!! Blake has amazing highlights and just good numbers

I think you take the guy with crazy numbers and stats not highlights!

Love is so skilled its scary, dont knock him just bc ge doesnt dunk on people

Sadds The Gr8
01-14-2011, 03:22 PM
If Melo does get traded in time, it may open up a spot for both of them. But if I had to pick one, it would be Love but Blake is having an awesome year and deserves to be there too.

even if Melo is traded won't he play for the west still? Remember when AI was traded to the Pistons a couple years back, didn't he still play for the west? i can't remember

LTBaByyy
01-14-2011, 03:22 PM
Blake is a better athlete than Love, Love is a better player than Blake

I ratger have the better player and if you argue with that research the stats and advanced stats!

Tell me one thing that Blake is better than Love at? Besides athletic and dunks

MTone8788
01-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Love has average highlights and crazy numbers and stats!!! Blake has amazing highlights and just good numbers

21.8 ppg and 12.7 rbg is not "just good" hahah, that is GREAT, losing team or not.

John Walls Era
Griffin is more worthy (Love is worthy too). In an AS game I rather see the more explosive player.

arkanian215
Love is good but Blake is more entertaining.

MTone8788
01-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Their only statistical differences are Love averages 3 more rebounds and has a better free throw percentage... Griffin averages 1 more assist and has a better field goal percentage..

Lim
01-14-2011, 03:34 PM
should be love imo. whens the last time we seen someone avg 21 and 16? not to mention he is money from the 3 point and charity stripe.

thekmp211
01-14-2011, 03:37 PM

um, id say the rookie with duncan numbers is better than just good?

both these guys are gonna make a bunch in their careers, but this year give it to love. hes a vet, and hes having a better year.

Hawkeye15
01-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Their only statistical differences are Love averages 3 more rebounds and has a better free throw percentage... Griffin averages 1 more assist and has a better field goal percentage..

false. Open up my link on the 2nd page. And are you forgetting Love is a top 8 three point shooter?

Hawkeye15
01-14-2011, 03:40 PM
should be love imo. whens the last time we seen someone avg 21 and 16? not to mention he is money from the 3 point and charity stripe.

1982-83' was the last time.

BrahCake954
01-14-2011, 03:41 PM

that is ridiculous.. love is better.. only thing blake is better in is making highlights and dunks

love has an efficiency rating of almost 30..

that is lebron like..

love should get the allstar nod..

ashyzup
01-14-2011, 03:43 PM
The West is really crammed with good forwards for the all-star game right now. Durant, Gasol, Dirk, Melo, Griffin, Duncan, Griffin, Love. All of them deserves to be all-stars and I wouldn't mind anyone of them getting a slot.

Pistol_Pete
01-14-2011, 03:45 PM
I just read the article and saw this "Kevin Love leads the league in rebounds (15.8) and double doubles (35) and is also averaging 21.5 points while shooting a wicked 46 percent from beyond the 3-point line."

Averaging 21 and 15 and leading the league in rebounds and double doubles with a damn hi 3pt %? How can you NOT have him in the all-star game?

Both are playing at all-star caliber levels and should be in the game, but not having Love in would be ridiculous.

NBAfan4life
01-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Love deserves it more due to the fact his numbers have not been seen since the early 80's.

Not to mention all star nods usually go to vets vs rookies. BG still has to pay his due in this league.

MTone8788
01-14-2011, 03:49 PM
false. Open up my link on the 2nd page. And are you forgetting Love is a top 8 three point shooter?

No, I'm not forgetting... but a point is a point and they average nearly the same amount.

BIG worm
Blake is a better athlete than Love, Love is a better player than Blake

I ratger have the better player and if you argue with that research the stats and advanced stats!

Tell me one thing that Blake is better than Love at? Besides athletic and dunks

Umm ballhandling? Defence? Basketball?

MTone8788
Love deserves it more due to the fact his numbers have not been seen since the early 80's.

Not to mention all star nods usually go to vets vs rookies. BG still has to pay his due in this league.

I'm not saying Love isn't deserving... but a third year player is not a vet.

NBAfan4life
01-14-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm not saying Love isn't deserving... but a third year player is not a vet.

Were discussing whether to send Love or Griffin to the all star game.

A rookie or a third year player with better numbers.

Do you get what I was saying now?

Hawkeye15
01-14-2011, 03:55 PM
No, I'm not forgetting... but a point is a point and they average nearly the same amount.

go look at the link. Love is more efficient, higher offensive rating, better win shares, better at a lot of things.
A point is not a point btw. Its thinking like that where we get "Monta for the all star game!" b.s.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-14-2011, 03:58 PM

:nod:

Both have the same eFG%

Hawkeye15
01-14-2011, 04:01 PM
:nod:

Both have the same eFG%

Love rips him apart with TS% however

canigetawitness
01-14-2011, 04:02 PM
If Love is a beast, Griffin is an ALIEN.

thenyknicks
01-14-2011, 04:02 PM
i want to see blake griffin, kevin love would be boring.

NBAfan4life
01-14-2011, 04:04 PM
i want to see blake griffin, kevin love would be boring.

I suppose Tim Duncan should not of ever been invited then?

da wood
01-14-2011, 04:05 PM
i dont even know why we are going back and forth about this they will both be in the alstar game. and if anything they will pick blake because remember yall all star weekend is in LA this year and they will put him in to rep the clips.

MTone8788
01-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Were discussing whether to send Love or Griffin to the all star game.

A rookie or a third year player with better numbers.

Do you get what I was saying now?

It doesn't matter if it's your first, second, third, or tenth year in the league, a player deserving to get into the all star game should be in the all star game. Do you get what I was saying now?

If I had to pick between Griffin and Love, it'd be Love.

DubiousCustomer
01-14-2011, 04:07 PM
I suppose Tim Duncan should not of ever been invited then?

I think it would be better for the Spurs if Timmy didn't make it this year. Maybe worse for the legacy of Duncan, but not that much worse...

sportscrazy34
01-14-2011, 04:43 PM
It doesn't matter if it's your first, second, third, or tenth year in the league, a player deserving to get into the all star game should be in the all star game. Do you get what I was saying now?

If I had to pick between Griffin and Love, it'd be Love.

x2
So what if he is a rookie every player is one injury from retirement.

xbrackattackx
01-14-2011, 04:48 PM

Wrong like usual.

Baller1
01-14-2011, 04:50 PM
The allstar game is about highlights and the fans... I'll say Griffin. It's really a toss up though.

Rego247
01-14-2011, 04:51 PM
blake. its in LA, plus love isnt an exciting player like BG, so for that i think blake should make it.

could u imagine cp3, throwing him allyoops during the whole game? gotta go with blake.

ChiSox219
01-14-2011, 04:55 PM
C Gasol
C Duncan
F Durant
F Dirk
F Love
F Odom
F Griffin

We can see Blake posterize the sophomores so if the West goes with only 4 F's or Carmelo is not traded, we can see Griffin next year.

SteBO
01-14-2011, 05:04 PM
Kevin Love is more deserving imo.

AI4MVP
01-14-2011, 05:13 PM
i think they both deserve to make it.

This year, Love is having the better year and he should make it. But ill say this.

There is ONE power forward i would take on my team ahead of Kevin Love to start my team with, and that is Blake Griffin

Swashcuff
01-14-2011, 05:16 PM
When was the last time we've seen a player average 21 and 16 while shooting 40% from the 3? Never

When was the last time we've seen a rookie PF average 22 and 13 along with 3 assists per game in the NBA? Never

As far as flash goes I'd say Blake hands down but as far as production there's no way Love can be snubbed.

Rather see Blake in there but Love is more deserving.

Swashcuff
01-14-2011, 05:18 PM

Oh really

AI4MVP
01-14-2011, 05:21 PM
the league is definitely in good hands for years to come in the pf department

Stunner
01-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Love deserves it more than Blake but both should make it.

Hawkeye15
01-14-2011, 05:22 PM
the league is definitely in good hands for years to come in the pf department

imagine how much better Love will be when he has the man in your sig to outlet it to, and will get 2-3 uncontested looks a night down low instead of having to fight for everything like he does now cause his PG's suck so badly

:drool:

Dol-Fan
01-14-2011, 05:24 PM

Which makes it all the more incredible that he is averaging 16 RPG. Love deserves it more, but I really hope that both of them get in.

Swashcuff
01-14-2011, 05:24 PM
go look at the link. Love is more efficient, higher offensive rating, better win shares, better at a lot of things.
A point is not a point btw. Its thinking like that where we get "Monta for the all star game!" b.s.

Sometimes I really have to question the reasoning of some of these posters. If a point was a point Carmelo Anthony last season should have been as dominant on the offensive end as prime Shaq. Right? :confused:

Rivera
01-14-2011, 05:45 PM
gotta go with love slightly ahead of blake

cwilson21
01-14-2011, 06:03 PM
Love's more deserving but both should make it. I'll understand if Blake makes it over him though considering the excitement he brings to the court every game as well as the game being played in LA.

Mplsman
01-14-2011, 06:05 PM
The way Kevin Love is playing, he better get voted in by the coaches.

AI4MVP
01-14-2011, 06:05 PM
imagine how much better Love will be when he has the man in your sig to outlet it to, and will get 2-3 uncontested looks a night down low instead of having to fight for everything like he does now cause his PG's suck so badly

Rubio, Love, and Beasley WILL eventually be the nba's best big three

Dodgers99
01-14-2011, 06:07 PM
blake. its in LA, plus love isnt an exciting player like BG, so for that i think blake should make it.

could u imagine cp3, throwing him allyoops during the whole game? gotta go with blake.

This.

Mplsman
01-14-2011, 06:08 PM

I could die a happy man.

jacobwilson222
01-14-2011, 06:12 PM
Griffin is a Beast IMO... Give the kid what he has earned

Hustlenomics
01-14-2011, 06:17 PM

won't be better than the big three in Miami and Rubio gotta prove himself in the NBA first

Hawkeye15
01-14-2011, 06:19 PM
won't be better than the big three in Miami and Rubio gotta prove himself in the NBA first

no doubt

Ebbs
01-14-2011, 06:40 PM
In my mind both should go.

Durant
Dirk
Melo
Love
Blake
Gasol

Should go as the 3,4,5's in my mind.

Swashcuff
01-14-2011, 06:43 PM
In my mind both should go.

Durant
Dirk
Melo
Love
Blake
Gasol

Should go as the 3,4,5's in my mind.

This should and would be the correct answer as of right now but in all likeliness Melo may no longer be in the West.

dtmagnet
01-14-2011, 06:55 PM
They should both go, if only one of them though it should be Love he is unreal this year.

cargobox
01-14-2011, 07:02 PM
Both, over Tim Duncan. lmfao

Tony_Starks
01-14-2011, 09:18 PM
Blake Griffin easy. His game is built for allstar. Plus with it in LA it would make it even sweeter.......

ragee
01-14-2011, 09:41 PM
How can they get in when there are guys like Dirk, Duncan and Melo? If Melo gets traded, maybe one of them can get in but if not, neither deserves to be in there...

Jets012
01-14-2011, 10:07 PM

Isnt Ridnour playing pretty solid recently? But I totally get what your saying if Love had a great distributor at point guard he would be extremely good. Right now I would say that Love is more deserving just because of the amount of rebounds he gets per games and how good of a shooter he actually is for a guy that plays the 4. The only thing that I would say Griffin is better at is passing.

Hawkeye15
01-14-2011, 10:30 PM
Blake Griffin easy. His game is built for allstar. Plus with it in LA it would make it even sweeter.......

BG easy? How so?

Hawkeye15
01-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Isnt Ridnour playing pretty solid recently? But I totally get what your saying if Love had a great distributor at point guard he would be extremely good. Right now I would say that Love is more deserving just because of the amount of rebounds he gets per games and how good of a shooter he actually is for a guy that plays the 4. The only thing that I would say Griffin is better at is passing.

yep, ideal backup. Can't guard a fly though.

Man, have you watched Love pass? He is the best outlet passer in years, and is a very good passer in the halfcourt. And if you haven't watched his outlet passing, I will refer you to Rose, Westbrook, Curry, Ridnour, Flynn, and pretty much anyone, who says Love is the best outlet passer since Wes Unseld.

Chronz
01-14-2011, 11:38 PM

you exaggerate

Crackadalic
01-14-2011, 11:41 PM
both but love is putting up godly numbers 18-15 shoots over 40% from three

topdog
01-14-2011, 11:42 PM
I actually think Love could be very entertaining to watch in the All-Star game (especially w/ Griffin participating in the Rookie Challenge and dunk contest). He's nothing flashy, but I'd love to see him try to get every rebound he can and set some sort of record or go toe-to-toe from the 3 pt. stripe with Ray-Ray.

Tony_Starks
01-14-2011, 11:44 PM
BG easy? How so?

BG easy based on impact on the game and excitement factor. Him and Love both have the numbers to qualify so thats a wash, he's helping the Clippers win more games so thats an edge. But the total edge goes that BG is arguably one of the most exciting players in the league to watch. Your boy Love is the man, don't get me wrong, but if I had to pay money to watch one of the two it would be BG.

topdog
01-14-2011, 11:51 PM
BG easy based on impact on the game and excitement factor. Him and Love both have the numbers to qualify so thats a wash, he's helping the Clippers win more games so thats an edge. But the total edge goes that BG is arguably one of the most exciting players in the league to watch. Your boy Love is the man, don't get me wrong, but if I had to pay money to watch one of the two it would be BG.

Here's the thing though: it's not about who the fans want to watch but the coaches. Crafty old school fundamental rebound machine or fiery athletic superfreak?

Tony_Starks
01-14-2011, 11:59 PM
Here's the thing though: it's not about who the fans want to watch but the coaches. Crafty old school fundamental rebound machine or fiery athletic superfreak?

Well from a coaching standpoint Love is a better shooter, Griffin is a better defender. If they had to chose from the two I think they'd roll with Griffin.

sportscrazy34
01-15-2011, 12:27 AM
The all star game really isn't about playing defense. I mean lets be honest here its a score fest.

NokomisLiving
01-15-2011, 12:36 AM
Griffin and Love are both awesome. I actually find it very entertaining watching Love sometimes, especially when he fights two guys tipping the ball back and forth grabbing it one handed and then chucking the ball all the way down the court to a streaking man... sometimes I sit and go " how in the hell..."

Lakerfrk
01-15-2011, 12:41 AM
Should they both make it? yes... Here is the problem....

Dirk Nowitzki
Paul Gasol
Carmello Anthony
Kevin Durant

all are for sure I would think.... Pau MAY get shifted to Center. IF he does.. then,

Lamar Odom
Kevin Love
Blake Griffin

will all be fighting for two spots... and as a Laker fan, I think it should be Griffin and Love. HAHA. Odom will get it if Dirk doesnt play.

topdog
01-15-2011, 12:47 AM
Well from a coaching standpoint Love is a better shooter, Griffin is a better defender. If they had to chose from the two I think they'd roll with Griffin.

I honestly don't know what the coaches will do. If it was up to the everyday ordinary fan, I think it'd be Blake hands down.

Hawkeye15
01-15-2011, 12:52 AM
you exaggerate

obviously. But not more than I should....

Hawkeye15
01-15-2011, 12:53 AM
obviously. But not more than I should....

read the #2 post in this thread. I covered this. Love has been better this season, but Blake plays a sexier game that fans want to see. I am good either way, but Love has played better this year