PDA

View Full Version : Should the Suns "Free Steve Nash"?

DenButsu
01-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Below are the last three paragraphs of what I think is a great column by Bruce Arthur. I'd strongly encourage you to read the entire piece here:

http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/columnists/Free+Steve+Nash/4101036/story.html

What do you think? Is it best for both Nash and the Suns that he play out his career in Phoenix? Or would it be better for them to part ways so that the Suns can get on with their next phase, and Nash can have a shot at a title?

---------------------------------------

[...]

Maybe the Suns really won't trade their best asset, and maybe Nash -- in the midst of a divorce, with an infant son -- really doesn't want to go anywhere. Maybe while Hall of Fame-bound contemporaries Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant, Shaq, Kevin Garnett, Kidd and Dirk Nowitzki get to chase one more ring while Nash runs in circles in the desert.

But if this is how it ends, it's just a shame. Nash has played 118 playoff games without ever reaching the Finals; only one other player, Terry Cummings, had ever played more than 100. Maybe penny-pinching Suns owner Robert Sarver needs Nash to sell tickets; maybe Phoenix just can't stomach a real rebuild yet.

It would be best for the Suns, and best for basketball, if he really was freed. The Suns already squandered a dynasty on Sarver's watch; now they're all set to squander the end of Nash's career. In that radio interview, Babby said, "I'm not saying it's too late, but it's getting late soon." Steve Nash's twilight, in a nutshell.

Chronz
01-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Depends, if he joins a team that he can make a contender then yea, if hes already joining one then that cheapens it because hes not at that Gary Payton stage yet.

Where could he go that would make his team a contender with his addition

Flash3
01-14-2011, 12:34 PM
i think it was classless when the tnt crew were chanting that.

ewing
01-14-2011, 12:40 PM
I didn't even realize he was enslaved!!!:speechless::speechless:

SteBO
01-14-2011, 12:44 PM
i think it was classless when the tnt crew were chanting that.

How? :confused:
Anyway, yes, they should free him. They aren't going anywhere and they need to rebuild at some point anyway. He should go somewhere where he can get a ring. Wouldn't be surprised if he went to like ATL.

DenButsu
01-14-2011, 12:55 PM
Depends, if he joins a team that he can make a contender then yea, if hes already joining one then that cheapens it because hes not at that Gary Payton stage yet.

Where could he go that would make his team a contender with his addition

Arthur mentioned the Hawks. I kind of like that idea.

Pierzynski4Prez
01-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Hasn't nash repeatedly stated he does not want to leave the Suns?

LeonFSU
01-14-2011, 01:23 PM

If the Hawks could get Nash without giving up Horford, Johnson, or Smith, then the Hawks would be an extremely exciting team to watch. Would be even better if the Hawks could get Lopez or Gortat from the Suns so they could move Horford to PF.

xbrackattackx
01-14-2011, 01:34 PM
If the Hawks could get Nash without giving up Horford, Johnson, or Smith, then the Hawks would be an extremely exciting team to watch. Would be even better if the Hawks could get Lopez or Gortat from the Suns so they could move Horford to PF.

I think the trade i heard "rumored" was Grant Hill,Steve Nash and Childress for Crawford(Don't know which one just said J Crawford lol) Evans and Teague. Could be picks and things also. Don't know.

Still

Nash
Johnson
Hill
Smith
Horford

shep33
01-14-2011, 01:45 PM
He still has a lot of money on his contract right? That's gonna be tough to move IMO, especially cause of his age.

tdunk21
01-14-2011, 01:53 PM
yes trade him ..... no point in wasting his talents on a struggling team

jetsfan28
01-14-2011, 01:56 PM
Probably. Get some team to take one of the ridiculous contracts they gave out this summer (I've never seen a team destroy itself in one summer like they did) and let him go to a winner. Houston (for Yao?) and Atlanta come to mind.

GodsSon
01-14-2011, 02:01 PM

I don't quite know if that bolts them into contender status, but that would sure be exciting to watch.

Sadds The Gr8
01-14-2011, 02:04 PM
the problem is that pretty much every contending team has a good PG already. Good PG's are very common today.

thephoenixson28
01-14-2011, 02:15 PM
No. Why do the suns owe anything to Nash. Nash knew that 2010 free agency was right around the corner. We are only 3 games out of the 8th spot, anything can happen.

king4day
01-14-2011, 02:16 PM
Unless the Suns get someone in return that'll help with attendance they can't simply just help out his own cause.

smith&wesson
01-14-2011, 02:33 PM
i can see nash in an orlando jersey feeding dwight all these assists. or even in miami where he can get the big three e z touches all day.

MJ-BULLS
01-14-2011, 02:44 PM
if he were to get traded to another team. I would love to see him in Orlando.

Flash3
01-14-2011, 02:50 PM
the problem is that pretty much every contending team has a good PG already. Good PG's are very common today.

no they're not,

Sadds The Gr8
01-14-2011, 02:50 PM
no they're not,

which contending team has a bad PG?

Flash3
01-14-2011, 02:51 PM
i can see nash in an orlando jersey feeding dwight all these assists. or even in miami where he can get the big three e z touches all day.

the big three can create for them selves already, though wouldnt hurt having his shooting skill :)

Geargo Wallace
01-14-2011, 02:51 PM
I really think they owe it to him. He's willing to go down with the ship in Phoenix, but I'd rather see him go out with a ship somewhere else.

Flash3
01-14-2011, 02:53 PM
which contending team has a bad PG?

miami, lakers, orlando ( jameer isnt that good), some others that have good pg's but not on nash's level.

Sadds The Gr8
01-14-2011, 02:55 PM
miami, lakers, orlando ( jameer isnt that good), some others that have good pg's but not on nash's level.

Wade and Lebron dominate the ball anyways...they just need a guy who will stand in the corner and shoot 3s. Nash there would be pointless.

Lakers system doesn't need a ball dominating PG....thats why they've never had one.

Orlando just traded with Phoenix...i doubt they trade with each other again this season.

Obviously Nash is better than some teams' PG's....but that doesnt mean they're willing to give up on them for a 37 year old...

Hoopsadvocate
01-14-2011, 02:58 PM
How about this. http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=47vx4ku

Hawks- (give up 2 starters and take on 2 heavy contracts in nash and warrick but also get lopez to play center and allow harford to play pf in smiths abscence. There bench becomes that much better with warrick, bibby, and crawford coming off. Nash gets another title shot with a nice team he can help)

Give up: J Smoove, M williams, 1st round pick

Get: Nash, Lopez, Warrick

Phx - (They begin to rebuild around 2 good young players in smith and OJ mayo plus a solid player in williams thats 3 starters and as incentive and replacement at center in the future Thabeet (he needs a change), but they still have gortat who has been avg good numbers there. Vasquez is a cap filler)

Give up: Nash, Lopez, Warrick, Frye

Get: Oj Mayo, J Smoove, Thabeet, vasquez, and a 1st round pick from the hawks

Memphis- (They needed a reliable center behind gasol and one for randolph, Frye provides and answer to both. Marvin Williams gives them a much needed back up to rudy gay. Makes there bench pretty deep with williams and frye added to it and it can help them solidify a playoff spot. OJ mayo wasnt working out there he needs a change of scenery)

Give up: Oj mayo thabeet and vasquez (all players they dont really use much of)

Get: Marvin Williams and Frye.

Everyone wins:

Atl becomes contenders, Phx gets exciting young talent and a pick to build around, Memphis gets better and has solid playoff hopes.

JPHX
01-14-2011, 03:11 PM
geez how many threads do we need on this topic? guys make it sound like he gets locked in a basement after games.

JOSKOMANG4
01-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Though he wouldn't be anywhere close to a ring this season, when BIllups mentioned he would ask for a buyout from the Nets, I thought rather than taking Billups, we should made a deal w/the Suns!

- Melo, Rip, Nash, Sheld Williams, and A.Carter to Nets
- Favors, Morrow, Uzoh, Graham, and 2-2011 1st rd picks to Nuggets
- Murphy, Petro, & 2012 2nd to Pistons
- Suns receive SF/SG Q.Ross, PG D.Harris, & 2012 1st rd pick(V/Nets)

AI4MVP
01-14-2011, 03:32 PM
im down to get D Harris

Lim
01-14-2011, 03:36 PM
i cant even tell you how much i want them to free steve nash and grant hill! TRADE THEM TO A CONTEDER ASAP!! THEY NEED RINGSSSS

Redbull
01-14-2011, 04:46 PM
Yes I think they should trade him but there are not many options IMO.

Hellcrooner
01-14-2011, 05:35 PM
I didn't even realize he was enslaved!!!:speechless::speechless:

Dont pull my tongue

Mplsman
01-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Yes, imo. He is not getting any younger. He deserves a ring and Phoenix does not have the firepower they used to.

jacobwilson222
01-14-2011, 06:17 PM
I want to see him stay in Phoenix, he fits in so well there...

chicago lulz
01-14-2011, 07:00 PM
Didn't he mention something along the lines of wanting to finish his career in Phoenix or something? If he's content then why 'free' him unless the Suns can get some talented young assets in return.

DenButsu
01-14-2011, 08:53 PM
No. Why do the suns owe anything to Nash. Nash knew that 2010 free agency was right around the corner. We are only 3 games out of the 8th spot, anything can happen.

If your answer to the thread question is "no", that's cool, I can respect that.

But "why do the suns owe anything to Nash"? Really?

kblo247
01-14-2011, 09:06 PM
Wade and Lebron dominate the ball anyways...they just need a guy who will stand in the corner and shoot 3s. Nash there would be pointless.

Lakers system doesn't need a ball dominating PG....thats why they've never had one.

Orlando just traded with Phoenix...i doubt they trade with each other again this season.

Obviously Nash is better than some teams' PG's....but that doesnt mean they're willing to give up on them for a 37 year old...

We had one, he was just a god awful playoff performer in that system after going through a regular season where he didn't have to run the offense because of Kobe, Shaq, and Malone being injured. Fisher is just a better fit than Nash on this team though.

As for Orlando, I agree with what you said, but I will add that they don't need him to take the ball out of Hedo's hands since his and their success rate with Hedo being the primary playmakers trumps Nash's success rate.

----

I'll say the only teams he could possibly fit are OKC (move Russ to 2) and Atlanta as long as they don't give up their big 3s.

mttwlsn16
01-14-2011, 09:06 PM
if he wants out, yes. if hes happy in phoenix, no.

llemon
01-14-2011, 09:10 PM
If Nash wants out, all he has to do say so, and it will get done.