PDA

View Full Version : Long-anticipated Carmelo trade expected to happen next week

John Walls Era
01-14-2011, 01:07 AM
Two sources said Thursday evening that the long-anticipated trade of Carmelo Anthony, barring last-minute snags, was expected to be consummated next week.

The three-team deal between Denver, the Nets and Detroit would send Anthony and Chauncey Billups, along with other players, to New Jersey, with the Nets sending first-round pick Derrick Favors and two future firsts to Denver. Pistons guard Rip Hamilton would join Anthony and Billups in New Jersey, with forward Troy Murphy going to Detroit. Additional players from New Jersey would go to Detroit and Denver to make the deal work.

It remains unknown whether Anthony will commit to signing an extension with the Nets if he is traded there. New Jersey owner Mikhail Prokhorov is confident that if he can acquire Anthony -- which would allow him to finally speak directly with the three-time All-Star -- he can convince Anthony on the merits of playing with the Nets. The franchise is expected to move into its new arena in Brooklyn in two years, and Anthony, through intermediaries, has made his desire to play for the Knicks well known.

But the Nuggets are determined to exhaust every possibility before making the deal, which is why the trade could still fall through. They know that the trade talk has impacted their team -- "it's been draining the team," guard J.R. Smith said Thursday morning -- but they also know they are only going to trade their franchise player once, and they're determined to get it right.

Until the deal is official, though, the talk will continue, leaving players and coaches frustrated that a team less than two years removed from the Western Conference finals--and is finally getting healthy-won't be able to try and get back to that level.

"Last game [against Phoenix on Tuesday] was the first game we all played together," Billups said Thursday morning. "First game all year, you know what I'm saying? I do believe [Denver can make a run if kept intact]. I do believe that."

Link (http://www.nba.com/2011/news/01/13/carmelo-david-aldridge/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2)

Kind of happy that I won't have to read about it anymore in the papers.

D Roses Bulls
01-14-2011, 01:09 AM
Amen

marlinsfan24
01-14-2011, 01:10 AM
I don't see the Nets pulling the trigger if Anthony doesn't agree to an extension, so this isn't even close to being done IMO.

RZZZA
yeah yeah, whatever, I'm over this Melo nonsense. NOW LETS GET J.R.!

Gators123
Hope so, but I won't believe it until I see it.

HouRealCoach
01-14-2011, 01:11 AM
Nets are destined for failure... I hope Melo goes to the Knicks just to teach them next time

king4day
01-14-2011, 01:12 AM
Yet the newest rumor is the Knicks trying to put together a deal for Melo. I don't think this is news. Just opinions

John Walls Era
01-14-2011, 01:12 AM
Mikhail Prokhorov did a really good job in his presentations during the summer (despite no one signing there); according to many sources, Lebron was impressed. Maybe Melo will be once he hears him out.

GunFactor187
01-14-2011, 01:15 AM
Not gonna lie when I say that Imma miss Richard Hamilton, but he needed to go.

Lim
01-14-2011, 01:15 AM
sooo how stupid will the nets organization feel when carmelo doesnt sign the extension?

Bucsfan
01-14-2011, 01:17 AM
i will believe it when i see it, saw the oj mayo to denver trade with the nyk, once again ill believe it when i see it

yshNYK
01-14-2011, 01:17 AM
i give it another two weeks..this deal just keeps getting more and more complicated..

..if he is ultimately going to the nets then we should expect a deal THIS WEEK ..if a deal goes down next week he's going somewhere else or won't get traded till the deadline

John Walls Era
01-14-2011, 01:21 AM
With so many moving pieces and countless variables, there are cautions everywhere, and you need only look back to last Sunday when the virtually done deal became virtually undone. But several NBA sources expressed growing optimism that the Nets are nearing a completion to the Carmelo Anthony saga with an agreement possible within a week.

One source said quite simply that a conclusion to the drama could come “soon.”

How soon?

“This weekend,” another league source maintained, putting the odds strongly in the Nets’ favor while cautioning despite the favorable outlook with three teams (Nuggets, Pistons) and 14 players involved the chances of snags are always real.

LINK (http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/netsblog/nets_still_can_get_carmelo_sources_883BIVe1H7FNKxj Tj6AvSO)

Baller1
01-14-2011, 01:24 AM
Thank god... Now give us Nene!!

Hellcrooner
01-14-2011, 01:24 AM
if its a trade to the nets what they imply will happen then forget bout it.
he wont sign the extension , ( unless he is a selfish worm that only cares for money and has absolutely no marbles to stick to what he said and join who he really wants to join jsut because of feaar of the new cba). so wont be over next ewwk.

Evolution23
01-14-2011, 01:29 AM
I bet Melo doesnt sign that extension

Giraffes Rule
01-14-2011, 01:36 AM
I was hoping it'd get done this week, Friday or Saturday. Would sure make it easier on the Spurs when we play em Sunday. :p

Stuckey#3
01-14-2011, 01:36 AM
Mikhail Prokhorov did a really good job in his presentations during the summer (despite no one signing there); according to many sources, Lebron was impressed. Maybe Melo will be once he hears him out.

I hate to sound stereotypical here... but I've been to Russia... and in the time I spent there I realized that anyone with that much money has some major mob connections. If Melo does get traded you bet your *** he is going to sign that extension... otherwise it's going to be the end of Training Day all over again.

AddiX
01-14-2011, 01:38 AM
If the trade could be done tomorrow it would be. There is absolutely no reason for the teams to wait.

This is all non-sense.

blake20696
01-14-2011, 01:42 AM
the only reason for it to not be done is nets have 3 games in 4 days so there isnt enough time for a physical and the nets would only have 5 active players if it happens and they are inactive due to physicals. both teams have off tuesday

John Walls Era
01-14-2011, 01:43 AM
If the trade could be done tomorrow it would be. There is absolutely no reason for the teams to wait.

This is all non-sense.

You can't make it official until the league crunches the numbers and sees if everything works.

the only reason for it to not be done is nets have 3 games in 4 days so there isnt enough time for a physical and the nets would only have 5 active players if it happens and they are inactive due to physicals. both teams have off tuesday

This too.

Sixerlover
01-14-2011, 01:47 AM
You can't make it official until the league crunches the numbers and sees if everything works.

This too.

I bet David Stern's statistical crew just goes on the ESPN trade checker and checks to see if everything is good :laugh2:

But seriously, I won't believe any of this until it happens. This has been going on since July. It's January for crying out loud.

John Walls Era
01-14-2011, 01:48 AM
I bet David Stern's statistical crew just goes on the ESPN trade checker and checks to see if everything is good :laugh2:

But seriously, I won't believe any of this until it happens. This has been going on since July. It's January for crying out loud.

:laugh2:

I wouldn't say July. Melo didn't totally reject the Nugget's offer yet. But now the secret is out and he no longer wants to play for them; instead he wants to go to New York (Brooklyn Nets is going to be in NY).

sharqstealth
01-14-2011, 02:02 AM

If James was impressed then why didn't he sign with the nets??? You can impress anybody but not exactly convince him, you get what I mean?
Theres no way Melo is going to a loser.

nystandup
01-14-2011, 02:10 AM
i think if the nuggets cant work out a deal with the knicks melo settles for the nets to get the money

RipCity32
01-14-2011, 02:17 AM
I would say hes gonna sign the extension with the nets if he waits for the knicks in the offseason he loses alot of money.By signing with the Nets hes basically in New York with alot more money.I am also pretty sure he wants to live in NY because of his wife not because of a fantasy to play for the NewYork Knicks.

THE GIPPER
01-14-2011, 02:23 AM
I would say hes gonna sign the extension with the nets if he waits for the knicks in the offseason he loses alot of money.By signing with the Nets hes basically in New York with alot more money.I am also pretty sure he wants to live in NY because of his wife not because of a fantasy to play for the NewYork Knicks.

I agree. By not signing in nj and waiting till the offseason melo could lose like 10+ million dollars cuz the new cba over the nest three years.

Antipod
01-14-2011, 02:34 AM
It`s bee "for a week" since November ... i don`t buy anything until it`s official

blueplanet
01-14-2011, 02:35 AM
LMAO! C Webb just owned Kenny Smith on tnt about Melo. C Webb supports Melo moving out and Kenny doesn't.

Chi StateOfMind
01-14-2011, 02:37 AM
as a bulls fan i actually hope he goes to the knicks cuz with amare carmelo they would b nasty but in the beginning i hoped he came here but i like the bulls' roster minus bogans we need a sg

blueplanet
01-14-2011, 02:40 AM
I bet Melo doesnt sign that extension

The deal will go down ONLY if Melo signs the extension. Just Imagine if Melo leaves from Nets and the Nets will left with nothing. So they are not that stupid. Melo knows Nets are giving their future up to acquire him and will be the most hated player ever if he leaves the Nets in summer.

kblo247
01-14-2011, 02:43 AM
I agree. By not signing in nj and waiting till the offseason melo could lose like 10+ million dollars cuz the new cba over the nest three years.

Not just that but deals could be shortened again like the last cba

metsbulls1025
01-14-2011, 02:45 AM
IMO if Melo and Chris Paul already have talked and said they will play together then Melo will sign the extension because Paul will follow no matter what. Plus by reading the original post it sounds like the owner will trade for him and then he believes he can convince to sign after.

NYK_kidd77
01-14-2011, 02:47 AM
IMO if Melo and Chris Paul already have talked and said they will play together then Melo will sign the extension because Paul will follow no matter what. Plus by reading the original post it sounds like the owner will trade for him and then he believes he can convince to sign after.

The problem is the Nets will be cap strapped if the deal is as reported.

kblo247
01-14-2011, 02:50 AM

Billups does have that buyout that the Nets don't have to necessarily use but could route him to a place that will. Rip's last year isn't fully guaranteed either.

Sadds The Gr8
01-14-2011, 02:51 AM
i'll believe it when it happens

G-Bay New J
01-14-2011, 04:50 AM

As we learned this past summer, it's not all that difficult to create cap space when you need it. Billups and Hamilton will most likely be gone by the time CP3 is a FA. And hopefully we can find some dumby to take on Outlaw's contract.

metsbulls1025
01-14-2011, 05:49 AM

That doesn't really matter. Last year around the trade deadline and then into the off season we watched multiple teams clear contracts that were dubbed unmovable by a majority of posters on here. If Paul wants to play with Melo NJ will make it happen.

SteBO
01-14-2011, 09:56 AM
The deal will go down ONLY if Melo signs the extension. Just Imagine if Melo leaves from Nets and the Nets will left with nothing. So they are not that stupid. Melo knows Nets are giving their future up to acquire him and will be the most hated player ever if he leaves the Nets in summer.

More than LBJ?

todu82
01-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Really can't see him going to New Jersey. Think the deal with New York will probably work out as he probably would sign an extension there. Either way hope this deal gets worked out soon so that we won't have to hear about it anymore.

goose15
01-14-2011, 10:10 AM
I doudt it.. wish I could fast forward time

effen5
01-14-2011, 10:18 AM

I don't understand why people don't understand that....they are not going to give up all those players/picks for a one year rental.

Flash3
01-14-2011, 10:29 AM
I don't see the Nets pulling the trigger if Anthony doesn't agree to an extension, so this isn't even close to being done IMO.

they probably already asked him, or maybe they don't care.

John Walls Era
01-14-2011, 11:12 AM
I doudt it.. wish I could fast forward time

Going back in time is better... :cool:

Kashmir13579
01-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Amen

you actually believe this? only when i see it.