PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Roy to have surgery on both knees

Gibby23
01-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Portland, OR (Sports Network) - The Portland Trail Blazers announced on Thursday that guard Brandon Roy will have arthroscopic surgery on both knees.

The surgery is slated for next week and there is no timetable for his return.

http://www.kptv.com/sports/26484949/detail.html

tdunk21
01-13-2011, 06:14 PM
damn

DaBUU
01-13-2011, 06:15 PM
that sucks

tangent12
01-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Poor guy, vastly overrated, trying to live up to expectations he could've never achieved and loses both of his knees trying.

Hopefully he recovers soon and doesn't try to do or be more than he's capable of.

JPHX
01-13-2011, 06:17 PM
bummer..

Dade County
01-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Portland fans and the organization must fill like, WTF have we done to deserve this.......

He's damage goods, he's playing style will also have to change.

Bausman
01-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Poor guy, vastly overrated, trying to live up to expectations he could've never achieved and loses both of his knees trying.

Hopefully he recovers soon and doesn't try to do or be more than he's capable of.

Every time i read one of your post you seem like you get dumber and dumber.

Hawkeye15
01-13-2011, 06:23 PM
I hate any thread involving Portland. Its always bad news. I feel for that team man. They just can't catch a break.

Abel Ye
01-13-2011, 06:24 PM

how is he overrated?

ilovemyangel
01-13-2011, 06:24 PM

do you watch any nba games? have you ever?

Gibby23
01-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Isn't that teh reason (his knees) that the Wolves traded his rights on draft day?

babyshaq87
01-13-2011, 06:26 PM
poor guy.. seems a nice dude and a good player.. hopefully he gets healty again but i don't expect him to be the same again..

h2r09
01-13-2011, 06:27 PM
to be honest, he was very overrated to people who thought he was a superstar a couple years ago, but its a shame his career is gonna be derailed by his knees.

RZZZA
01-13-2011, 06:28 PM
that sucks, my sympathies to him

nstojic
01-13-2011, 06:31 PM
makes me think of a thread a couple of months ago where some were so adamant that he was fine and he could keep playing through the condition in his knees and wasn't going to have the injury hinder him realizing his potential...

hate to say, i told you so, but...

uptownfan
01-13-2011, 06:32 PM

I understand you are trying to be bold with your statements so they don't get ignored, but Brandon Roy is not overrated.

ilovemyangel
when healthy he was one of the toughest players to guard in the nba. he was that good. i would say he's underrrated rather than overrated.

Bruno

I'd disagree. When healthy two seasons ago he was clearly the 3rd best SG in the league behind Bryant and Wade. If you look at his past advanced statistics, you will see he was in that elite class.

When healthy he is far ahead of Joe Johnson, Vince Carter, and the other 2nd tier SG's.

Bruno
01-13-2011, 06:34 PM
I hate any thread involving Portland. Its always bad news. I feel for that team man. They just can't catch a break.

Likewise.

JayW_1023
01-13-2011, 06:34 PM
He will never hit his prime...which is really sad. He is such a great player when healthy. Unselfish, smart and clutch as hell. Too bad he had the knees of a 90 year old.

Maybe Oden can...never mind.

At least Matthews and Aldridge are keeping that team afloat in the lower playoff seeds. Credit McMillan for doing a great coaching job. Aldridge is really underrated this year.

Maybe Rudy Fernandez can finally prove himself.

Silent
01-13-2011, 06:37 PM

x2

u can tell hes a little kid if not that's just to damm sad plus he makes bulls fans look like *******s

GoatMilk
01-13-2011, 06:38 PM
^he already hit his prime, he wasnt going to get any better.
he plateaued early in his career imo (by early in his career, i mean as a whole. like if he played 14 years, 5 years is early)

im not saying he was overrated though

tangent12
01-13-2011, 06:38 PM

how is he overrated?

to be honest, he was very overrated to people who thought he was a superstar a couple years ago, but its a shame his career is gonna be derailed by his knees.

*Yawn* This.

I clearly remember people comparing him to Kobe and other similar star caliber players and even Kobe himself making comparisons between them two. Guy was just an undersized streaky shooter, nothing more.

TO Rapz
01-13-2011, 06:42 PM
This is terrible man, its almost like a Grant Hill v2.0. Threads like these are bummers.

SeoulBeatz
01-13-2011, 06:48 PM

Are you kidding me? Have you ever watched Brandon Play?
I'd say it's some of the most beautiful basketball I've ever seen.
No one ever gives him any credit because he isn't that flashyl.
He's Tim Duncan but a SG.

He does everything right and his shot is so smooth and i'd say (when healthy) he's a top 5 scorer in the league behind Kobe, Lebron, Durant, and Melo (yeah even better than Wade)

Korman12
01-13-2011, 06:50 PM

*Yawn* This.

I clearly remember people comparing him to Kobe and other similar star caliber players and even Kobe himself making comparisons between them two. Guy was just an undersized streaky shooter, nothing more.

Most SG's in the league are his height or smaller.

OaklandsFinest
01-13-2011, 06:52 PM
Brandon Roy is very talented, and has a TON of heart, but he was no superstar... An All Star yes, and very good player of course, but he is now showing that he was not meant to carry that load. It's ok not everybody is supposed to do that, he is a complimentary player to a superstar or a very good post player. He and Dwight would have been a perfect match.

tangent12
01-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Brandon Roy is very talented, and has a TON of heart, but he was no superstar... An All Star yes, and very good player of course, but he is now showing that he was not meant to carry that load. It's ok not everybody is supposed to do that, he is a complimentary player to a superstar or a very good post player. He and Dwight would have been a perfect match.

+1 :cheers:

*Yawn*

Neeeeext.

kblo247
01-13-2011, 06:55 PM

I don't feel for them since they kept the same damn medical staff that Walton, Drexler, Bonzi, Van Exel, Mighty Mouse, Sabonis, Pippen, Sheed, Z-bo, and other players have *****ed about being piss poor. They get what they pay for in that sense and have no one to blame for their guys breaking down but themselves.

I feel sorry for Roy, but the poor guy was damned the minute he landed there with already questionable knees. It wasn't a matter of if, but when they would give out there.

Gibby23
01-13-2011, 06:55 PM

Winning makes Superstars. He was on his way if him and Oden wouldn't have been hurt.

Gators123
01-13-2011, 06:56 PM

A mod needs to ban this clown.

GoatMilk
01-13-2011, 06:57 PM
you know whats being overlooked about this?
this is the first year of his max extension (knew it was a bad idea at the time...)

ilovemyangel
01-13-2011, 06:58 PM

*Yawn* This.

you seemed very confused. i dun think kobe would ever make comparisons between himself and a player like say, ryan bowen. the difference is like comparing a healthy adult mind to a certain tangent.

macc
01-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Didn't he just sign a max extension to? Ouch...

Gilly1254
01-13-2011, 07:03 PM
Undersized? How lol... So Kobe Bryant is undersized? Brandon Roy was a superstar but injuries cause him not to be on the court... If healthy the blazers are a great team but **** happens. I do really feel bad for them though.

kblo247
01-13-2011, 07:08 PM
Undersized? How lol... So Kobe Bryant is undersized? Brandon Roy was a superstar but injuries cause him not to be on the court... If healthy the blazers are a great team but **** happens. I do really feel bad for them though.

He was an all star. A superstar is someone that transcends the sport and receives global recognition. Roy didn't achieve that feat in his NBA career.

Superstar perimeter players of the last decade - Kobe, T-Mac, AI

Roy is more in the Ray Allen, Manu Ginobili, Rip Hamilton, etc. perennial all star group imo

ilovemyangel
01-13-2011, 07:10 PM
hey tangent12, can i ask you a question?

Gilly1254
01-13-2011, 07:14 PM
He was an all star. A superstar is someone that transcends the sport and receives global recognition. Roy didn't achieve that feat in his NBA career.

Superstar perimeter players of the last decade - Kobe, T-Mac, AI

Roy is more in the Ray Allen, Manu Ginobili, Rip Hamilton, etc. perennial all star group imo

I'm saying he was on his way to doing that but injuries made that impossible.

JayW_1023
01-13-2011, 07:17 PM
I still think Manu in his prime was better than Roy ever was. Tearing through a Pistons defense that slowed Kobe as good as any team in history in the 2005 finals is a good indication.

Klivlend
01-13-2011, 07:18 PM

how is he overrated?

I understand you are trying to be bold with your statements so they don't get ignored, but Brandon Roy is not overrated.

I'd disagree. When healthy two seasons ago he was clearly the 3rd best SG in the league behind Bryant and Wade. If you look at his past advanced statistics, you will see he was in that elite class.

When healthy he is far ahead of Joe Johnson, Vince Carter, and the other 2nd tier SG's.

Are you kidding me? Have you ever watched Brandon Play?
I'd say it's some of the most beautiful basketball I've ever seen.
No one ever gives him any credit because he isn't that flashyl.
He's Tim Duncan but a SG.

He does everything right and his shot is so smooth and i'd say (when healthy) he's a top 5 scorer in the league behind Kobe, Lebron, Durant, and Melo (yeah even better than Wade)

I cant' stand this guy, either.

A mod needs to ban this clown.

For sure, is there some way to get a petition started on PSD? Maybe create a please ban thread and get a couple hundred posts?

Gibby23
01-13-2011, 07:20 PM
I still think Manu in his prime was better than Roy ever was. Tearing through a Pistons defense that slowed Kobe as good as any team in history in the 2005 finals is a good indication.

manu never had a better year than Roy's 08-09 year. Manu is having his best or second best year ever this year.

Gilly1254
01-13-2011, 07:22 PM
apparently Manu is still in his prime if you couldnt tell from this year... Peak is a different argument but I definitely believe hes still in his prime.

JayW_1023
01-13-2011, 07:23 PM
manu never had a better year than Roy's 08-09 year. Manu is having his best or second best year ever this year.

Statistically maybe...but Manu didn't have to carry as much of a load seeing Duncan was in his prime too in 2005.And arguably the best player in the league then.

Now Duncan is slowing a bit, so Manu has to take more of a scoring burden, so his numbers look pretty. But in no way is Manu better now than in 2005. Not a chance. In his prime he was a top 3 SG, and yes, better than Roys best year...even if he did come off the bench.

As for Roy, he is one of the genuine good guys in the league...choosing 20 points and 10 dimes over 28 and 5 dimes...he was just terrific before the injury bug hit.

DitchDat
01-13-2011, 07:36 PM
I read somewhere that this is the type of injury that will prevent him from ever being the same player. That's a dam shame, because when healthy he is one of my favorite guards in the league.

NYman15
01-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Terrible

AddiX
01-13-2011, 07:40 PM
It really sucks to see Roy's career probably over.

He was one of the few players who was a great scorer but played the game right. He was never one of the faster athletic guys, but he could get buckets on anyone.

There is a lot less true franchise players than most people believe. But he was definitely one of them.

smith&wesson
01-13-2011, 07:48 PM
every time i read one of your post you seem like you get dumber and dumber.

x2

smith&wesson
01-13-2011, 07:50 PM
tuff times for roy, tuff times for the blazers all together. first oden now roy

blueplanet
01-13-2011, 07:50 PM

I have serious doubt about healthiness of your brain.

Hugbees
01-13-2011, 07:57 PM

The Derrick Rose thread is actually down the hallway, to the left, first door down.

valade16
01-13-2011, 08:08 PM
The Derrick Rose thread is actually down the hallway, to the left, first door down.

HAHAHAHA

That was so funny I think I just **** my pants!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

RayRay
01-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Grant Hill 2.0... poor guy.

KingPosey
01-13-2011, 08:22 PM
this poor kid.... It used to amuse me that Portland was always getting boned but I like Roy, and his career is in SEROUS trouble...

Infamous916
01-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Damn that sucks major ballz

Kakaroach
01-13-2011, 08:32 PM
Really tough break for him and Portland. Hopefully he is able to recover, don't even worry about this season though.

showtym24
01-13-2011, 08:56 PM
Feel so bad for him and the portland fans.

dtmagnet
01-13-2011, 08:58 PM
Isn't that teh reason (his knees) that the Wolves traded his rights on draft day?

It's why he fell to 5th instead of the Raps taking him #1.

OaklandsFinest
01-14-2011, 01:41 AM
Winning makes Superstars. He was on his way if him and Oden wouldn't have been hurt.

Excuses... about what if this had happened or that had happened... you can't change the stars to make them say what you want. Yes if Oden was healthy, he would have probably been the super star and Roy the complimentary offensive minded player. Its not winning that makes superstars, what makes superstars is doing EVERYTHING, and still managing to be a personality that draws people to them... KG was a superstar, and even though Tim Duncan is probably the second best pf of all time was never a superstar. Its that exact excuse making like in our sig, that show prevalent. "If winning 72 games were a championship the Lakers would win 72"? Are you for real? If thats the case and Kobe is the greatest competitor of all time he would win 72 just to shut people up.. You can't have it both ways.

ilovemyangel
01-14-2011, 03:20 AM
Excuses... about what if this had happened or that had happened... you can't change the stars to make them say what you want. Yes if Oden was healthy, he would have probably been the super star and Roy the complimentary offensive minded player. Its not winning that makes superstars, what makes superstars is doing EVERYTHING, and still managing to be a personality that draws people to them... KG was a superstar, and even though Tim Duncan is probably the second best pf of all time was never a superstar. Its that exact excuse making like in our sig, that show prevalent. "If winning 72 games were a championship the Lakers would win 72"? Are you for real? If thats the case and Kobe is the greatest competitor of all time he would win 72 just to shut people up.. You can't have it both ways.

Tim Duncan was a demon on both ends of the floor for a very long time. I dun see why he is not a superstar. the guy won 4 championships with a nucleus built around him. just becoz he has a quiet demeanor and doesn't do flashy stuff doesn't not make him a superstar.

Chronz
01-14-2011, 03:32 AM
WTF? He is now showing that injuries can rob ANYONE of their greatness, that you correlate this with what he was capable at his best is foolish. Tangent should be embarrassed that you agreed with him. That you followed this gem by saying Duncan wasnt a superstar cements your place in the PSD Hall of Shame.

Different rules, different focus. Roy obliterated a defense that featured Battier/Artest and keyed on him and only him. They are definitely comparable but Manu wasnt this good at 24 or however young Roy was.

Statistically maybe...but Manu didn't have to carry as much of a load seeing Duncan was in his prime too in 2005.And arguably the best player in the league then.

Now Duncan is slowing a bit, so Manu has to take more of a scoring burden, so his numbers look pretty. But in no way is Manu better now than in 2005. Not a chance. In his prime he was a top 3 SG, and yes, better than Roys best year...even if he did come off the bench.

Statistically means alot, luckily for you its a deadlock tie at their peaks.

jasonbird
01-14-2011, 04:19 AM
portland is over from now on...

Roy has finished his 2010-2011 season

jiggin
01-14-2011, 04:38 AM
Yet they will still make the playoffs without him.

Lose in the playoffs but thats all he could do IN the lineup...

...so what's the difference? How long does a player have to be shelved for insurance to cover part of that salary. You know Paul Allen will cover his *** financially on this somehow...

jimbobjarree
01-14-2011, 05:07 AM
shouldn't have overpaid for our Wes then....oh wait

Antipod
01-14-2011, 06:04 AM
Oden, here comes your "buddy" :(

Next year, with Oden and Roy back, Blazers will rock, right? :(

Rosh
01-14-2011, 06:08 AM
Goodbye, Brandon Roy.

JayW_1023
01-14-2011, 07:26 AM
WTF? He is now showing that injuries can rob ANYONE of their greatness, that you correlate this with what he was capable at his best is foolish. Tangent should be embarrassed that you agreed with him. That you followed this gem by saying Duncan wasnt a superstar cements your place in the PSD Hall of Shame.

Different rules, different focus. Roy obliterated a defense that featured Battier/Artest and keyed on him and only him. They are definitely comparable but Manu wasnt this good at 24 or however young Roy was.

Statistically means alot, luckily for you its a deadlock tie at their peaks.

I agree that if Roy would stay healthy, his prime would've prolly surpassed Manu's. He was that good. But if Manu in his prime was in Roys situation, I guarantee he would put up similair numbers if not better and produce an equal amount of wins in the process.

Even at 33, he is showing what he can do when being more a focal point on offense. Imagine being in this situation five years ago. He would put up elite numbers.

Chronz
01-14-2011, 12:52 PM
I agree that if Roy would stay healthy, his prime would've prolly surpassed Manu's. He was that good. But if Manu in his prime was in Roys situation, I guarantee he would put up similair numbers if not better and produce an equal amount of wins in the process.

Even at 33, he is showing what he can do when being more a focal point on offense. Imagine being in this situation five years ago. He would put up elite numbers.

Hey I always wished he would make it to Denver all those years back but you dont need to guarantee anything, hes already put up similar numbers. The thing about Manu was always if he could stay healthy, given that hes had problem doing so in limited minutes perhaps he landed in a role best suited for his game.

Still I cant help but think your making too much of this situation thing, what Manu is doing now is no different than any other season, in fact statistically its not even his best season. His usage% has always been high so its not like having Duncan held him back hes just getting more MPG now. So much so that hes actually deferring more because of the fact that he shares more time with the starters.

All Manu being traded would have done is make him more recognizable, he would have either put up higher per game averages (the kind necessary for the average fan to take notice) or he wouldve gotten hurt from carrying the load. It definitely wouldnt have made him a different player altogether.

MackShock
01-14-2011, 08:15 PM
Senor Roy, say goodbye to the NBA. Your done-zo.

cargobox
01-14-2011, 08:24 PM

oooooooookaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay