PDA

View Full Version : NBA Most Consistent Scorers - CBSSports

Baller1
01-13-2011, 04:12 PM
http://nba-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/27030243

I'll post the actual article when I get home later.

Durant (By Far) and Eric Gordon are the most consistent, while as expected, Melo and Monta are toward the lower end of high volume scorers.

xbrackattackx
01-13-2011, 04:19 PM
http://nba-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/27030243

I'll post the actual article when I get home later.

Durant (By Far) and Eric Gordon are the most consistent, while as expected, Melo and Monta are toward the lower end of high volume scorers.

Scoring in volume has been long been appreciated in the NBA. Wilt Chamberlain's 100 points, Kobe Bryant's 81. Michael Jordan's 63 points in the playoffs against the Boston Celtics. Each of these scoring outbursts, and countless others, are front and center in NBA lore.

In recent years, scoring efficiently has been all the rage, with emphasis placed on players that shoot well from the field, get to the free throw line and don't require tons of shots to get their points. Players like Carmelo Anthony and Monta Ellis have drawn some criticism for their (relatively) inefficient chucking, while Chris Paul, LeBron James and Dwight Howard have received praise for their overall offensive efficiency.

But one critical aspect of scoring has been generally overlooked: consistency. Basketball coaches at every level are endlessly frustrated by players that don't bring it every night, and the NBA is no exception. Even among the NBA's elite scorers there can be a vast inconsistency from night to night in their output.

Case in point: Miami Heat guard Dwyane Wade, currently the NBA's No. 6 scorer at 25.1 points per game, scored 17 points, 11 points and 3 points in a three-game stretch in November. A little more than a month later, Wade exploded for 40 points, 45 points and 25 points in a different three-game stretch. In all six games, Wade played at least 36 minutes and took at least 13 shots. Imagine how difficult those inconsistent results are for Miami Heat coach Eric Spoelstra to plan around.

Keep in mind: Wade is one of the league's most consistent and voluminous scorers, and he would never be able to average 25 points per game if he wasn't. The inconsistency headaches for coaches only increase as you move down the depth chart or into a team's bench. Of course, there are plenty of reasons to explain scoring inconsistency: specific defensive match-ups, an opponent's defensive gameplan, nagging injuries, streaky shooting, foul trouble, the list goes on and on.

With that said, some players are going to be more consistent than others. And that consistency would seem to be valued by coaches. So let's ask and answer an interesting question: Of the league's top scorers, who truly represents the cream of the crop? Who brings it the most consistently on a night-in, night-out basis?
Let's take a look.

Scoring Consistency

Perhaps the cleanest way to calculate a player's scoring consistency is to use his game log to calculate his average scoring variance. This reflects how far from his scoring average he is on any give night. This sounds complicated, but it's really not.

For example, let's say I average 30 points. My two scoring totals were 20 points and 40 points. The average difference from each of those points to the average (40 minus 30 and 30 minus 20) is 10. Now, let's say I average 30 points but I scored 39 points one night and 31 points the next. The average difference between those points and the average (31-30 and 30-29) is 1. Obviously, I would be scoring more consistently in the second example, when my average variance is 1, rather than the first example, when my average variance is 10.

To further emphasize consistency, simply divide that average variance by the player's points per game. This gives a percentage between 0% and 100%. 0% is perfectly consistent, while 100% is completely inconsistent. In the first example, my percentage would be 33% (10/30). In the second example, my percentage would be 3.3% (1/30). We'll refer to that percentage as a player's Shake. The lower the Shake, the more consistent the player's scoring.

When you analyze the league's top scorers or No. 1 scoring options, almost all of them fall between 20% and 30% on this Shake scale. In other words, they won't always produce totally consistently, but they will produce within a fairly narrow range. If you move to reserve players, that number usually falls to 40% to 50%, a reflection of changing minutes and a generally lower talent level. If you move to the deep, deep bench players, a 60%+ isn't totally uncommon.

The League's Best Scorers, By Consistency

In this analysis, Shake was calculated for each of the NBA's top 20 scorers in games played through Tuesday, Jan. 12.

When we look at a scatterplot of the league's elite scorers in terms of their consistency, a few interesting pieces jump out. (Click here for the full-size version.) On this chart, the X-axis refers to points per game. The further to the right you go, the more a player scorers. The Y-axis represents scoring consistency: the lower you go, the more consistent a player is, the higher you go, the more inconsistent a player is. The best place to be on this chart is the lower right hand corner and its vicinity. Conversely, the worst place to be on this chart is the upper left hand corner and its vicinity.
http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/visual/whatshot/shake-table.jpg

I got you :)

Baller1
01-13-2011, 04:21 PM
http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/visual/whatshot/shake-table.jpg

I got you :)

This is not the whole article but the chart they use to display it.

Cool, thanks man.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-13-2011, 04:23 PM
nice stats

xbrackattackx
01-13-2011, 04:24 PM
cool, thanks man.

go seahawks!

Baller1
01-13-2011, 04:26 PM
go seahawks!

:laugh2:

Hell yeah! We're takin' it.

Hawkeye15
01-13-2011, 04:36 PM
hopefully those pumping Beasley will give this a gander.

xbrackattackx
01-13-2011, 04:47 PM
hopefully those pumping Beasley will give this a gander.

You mean just cause he scores alot of points he's not good? :p

Hawkeye15
01-13-2011, 04:49 PM
You mean just cause he scores alot of points he's not good? :p

essentially, yes. I am sick of seeing him on all these MIP threads, or Surprise Player threads, etc.
He is on my team for crying out loud, but I see his game regardless. High volume shooter who is all over the place

DaBUU
01-13-2011, 04:52 PM
:laugh2:

Hell yeah! We're takin' it.

:eyebrow:

thekmp211
01-13-2011, 05:25 PM
interesting. eric gordon is a hell of a player.

Hawkeye15
01-13-2011, 05:27 PM
interesting. eric gordon is a hell of a scorer.

fixed it for ya

thekmp211
01-13-2011, 05:29 PM
interesting. eric gordon is a hell of a scorer.

fixed it for ya

haha fair enough. the poor guy is like 6'3 playing the 2, tough task for guys not named dwyane wade.

Avenged
01-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Amar'e ranks 2nd? that's news to me. :p

Hawkeye15
01-13-2011, 05:46 PM
[QUOTE=Hawkeye15;16297424]

haha fair enough. the poor guy is like 6'3 playing the 2, tough task for guys not named dwyane wade.
true, but with a 6'9" wingspan, and a vertical of 40", Gordon has a one step jump touch point of a 6'6" player easily.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2008&source=All&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=

Hawkeye15
01-13-2011, 05:47 PM

Amare has always been the definition on an efficient scorer, not to mention as consistent as they come (which this formula uses to measure effectivness)

masalex1205
01-13-2011, 05:48 PM
interesting

Avenged
01-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Amare has always been the definition on an efficient scorer, not to mention as consistent as they come (which this formula uses to measure effectivness)

No doubt, but what surprises me more is that he ranks 2nd.. Ahead of players like LBJ, Wade, Kobe, Dirk etc.. players who get more recognition for their scoring.

Hawkeye15
01-13-2011, 05:53 PM
No doubt, but what surprises me more is that he ranks 2nd.. Ahead of players like LBJ, Wade, Kobe, Dirk etc.. players who get more recognition for their scoring.

I have always said Amare is an absolutely great scorer. Its the other end that kills his overall ranking. He doesn't take bad shots, he draws a lot of fouls, hits his free throws, and doesn't have many games where he scores 13, or 45. He is just flat out as consistent as they come.

Lloyd Christmas
01-13-2011, 05:55 PM
According to this article Monta and Wade are the same scorer. I can dig it.

RZZZA
01-13-2011, 05:56 PM
Why isn't Wilt Chamberlain on this list?

Hawkeye15
01-13-2011, 05:57 PM
According to this article Monta and Wade are the same scorer. I can dig it.

For THIS season only. Wade was way ahead of him over the past number of seasons, and if you haven't noticed, they are going opposite directions now. Wade will again finish a good amount ahead of Ellis

Hawkeye15
01-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Why isn't Wilt Chamberlain on this list?

cause its been updated since 1973

Geargo Wallace
01-13-2011, 06:02 PM
so does this mean that KD is gonna' get his points any given night regardless of how poor he's shooting?

sargon21
01-13-2011, 06:02 PM
what's shake?, don't plan on reading the article

metsfanssince05
01-13-2011, 06:07 PM
I think he deserves were he is, he could be number 1, but then theres durant. 11 straight games with 30+ points, and is still currently on a 22 straight games with 20+. It alost ended last night, with 11 seconds left or so he had 17 i think or 19 and shot a 3 and made it.

RZZZA
01-13-2011, 06:07 PM
cause its been updated since 1973

it's a joke, most consistent 'scorers'. y'know? :eyebrow:

Hawkeye15
01-13-2011, 06:09 PM
it's a joke, most consistent 'scorers'. y'know? :eyebrow:

I don't joke on PSD son

RZZZA
01-13-2011, 06:09 PM
yeah, you're right. PSD is serious business.

Allstar21
01-13-2011, 06:37 PM
serious risky business

Lloyd Christmas
01-13-2011, 06:43 PM
For THIS season only. Wade was way ahead of him over the past number of seasons, and if you haven't noticed, they are going opposite directions now. Wade will again finish a good amount ahead of Ellis

You have to admit though so far I was right about Monta playing much more efficiantly this year.

Hawkeye15
01-13-2011, 06:45 PM
You have to admit though so far I was right about Monta playing much more efficiantly this year.

I believe our conversations on how bad Monta has been were before this season started. And I agreed, in principal, if he accepted a role instead of just looking for his own, his play would go up. He isn't play near all star level, but at least he isn't sucking up the floor while getting those 25 a night.

Hawkeye15
01-13-2011, 06:45 PM
why do you have Radmonovich as your sig? hahahaha. Awesome

Lloyd Christmas
01-13-2011, 07:06 PM
why do you have Radmonovich as your sig? hahahaha. Awesome

Because he is the Chuck Norris of the NBA.

xbrackattackx
01-13-2011, 07:45 PM
essentially, yes. I am sick of seeing him on all these MIP threads, or Surprise Player threads, etc.
He is on my team for crying out loud, but I see his game regardless. High volume shooter who is all over the place

That was sarcasm haha I knew what you meant.