PDA

View Full Version : 69% of NBA players choose Lakers to 3 peat

Swashcuff
01-13-2011, 09:50 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1180673/index.htm

WHO WILL WIN THE NBA CHAMPIONSHIP IN 2011?

Los Angeles Lakers 69%

Boston Celtics 22%

Miami Heat 3%

Orlando Magic 2%

San Antonio Spurs 1%

FAST FACTS

SI's survey was conducted throughout the month of December. The Lakers fell to 21--10 on Dec. 28, the earliest they have reached double-digit losses since '07; meanwhile, the Heat had won 21 of 22 through Monday, its best 22-game stretch ever years... . Only five other teams received votes. Neither the Mavs (who, at 26--10, sit in second place in the West) or the Jazz (25--13; No. 4 in the West) were among them.

Based on 157 NBA players who responded to SI's survey

Evolution23
01-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Every NBA player should pick their own team to win a championship no mater how bad they are. Gota have that confidence.

Swashcuff
01-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Every NBA player should pick their own team to win a championship no mater how bad they are. Gota have that confidence.

I agree, partly. I mean how can the Spurs only have 1% when they've been playing this well. Don't at least 3 of their player's believe that they could go all the way. This is assuming however that each team has around 5 players who voted that may not have been the case however.

Hawkeye15
01-13-2011, 10:13 AM
The Spurs are at 1%?
Many of you wonder why I don't hold players opinions with the highest value, and this kind of thing is why.
Players, whether current or retired, evaluate things differently, and not always correct. They think rings are the ONLY thing you use to evaluate, or winning, etc.
I am all for agreeing that until the champs are knocked off, they should be favorites. But giving the Spurs a 1% chance is laughable.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-13-2011, 10:16 AM

no

Hawkeye15
01-13-2011, 10:20 AM
no

haha, agreed. Otherwise we would have a poll where every team has a 0.033% chance of winning it. What is the point?

Swashcuff
01-13-2011, 10:21 AM
no

How about every player on a contending team. I mean if 5 Maverick players was interviewed I'd think that they'd be confident enough to think the could go all the way.

Hawkeye15
01-13-2011, 10:32 AM
How about every player on a contending team. I mean if 5 Maverick players was interviewed I'd think that they'd be confident enough to think the could go all the way.

well, that is different. Everyone on the Mavs SHOULD pick themselves. But if my Wolves voted for themselves, I would applaud their loyalty, and question their sanity...

Swashcuff
01-13-2011, 10:37 AM
well, that is different. Everyone on the Mavs SHOULD pick themselves. But if my Wolves voted for themselves, I would applaud their loyalty, and question their sanity...

:laugh2:

Baller1
01-13-2011, 12:59 PM
The Lakers will not 3peat.

asandhu23
01-13-2011, 01:02 PM
thats because NBA is rigged and they know it.

xbrackattackx
01-13-2011, 01:13 PM

Hahaha <333

The Lakers will not 3peat.

Sure.

Sure thing! Is it rigged cause Monta Ellis isn't a allstar? lol

Avenged
01-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Not surprised.. The Lakers and Celtics have garnered the respect among peers around the league the past couple of seasons. Until they get knocked off, expect this type of "respect" to continue.

Da Knicks
01-13-2011, 01:32 PM
They have the pieces in place, but im not feeling them this year and will stay with the team i said since the beginning of the season. Spurs eventhough i really dont like that turtle looke alike duncan, caveman tony parker, and sam tucan ginobli.

Hellcrooner
01-13-2011, 01:32 PM

Then the heat woudl ahve won the votation

bctgg27
01-13-2011, 01:40 PM

Well usually in these polls, players are not allowed to vote for their own team. So....

JayW_1023
01-13-2011, 01:42 PM
They are a safe pick...even when they stink, they are still the Lakers. They limped in the playoffs last season as well...and still won it all.

The NBA seems to like the Lakers...

Baller1
01-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Hahaha <333

Sure.

Sure thing! Is it rigged cause Monta Ellis isn't a allstar? lol

They won't.

Avenged
01-13-2011, 01:56 PM
They are a safe pick...even when they stink, they are still the Lakers. They limped in the playoffs last season as well...and still won it all.

The NBA seems to like the Lakers...

Same thing happened with the Spurs. When you earn that respect, it doesn't go away easily. Heck, the Spurs still have that respect because they have their 3 main guys during their championship runs.

shep33
01-13-2011, 02:01 PM
I don't see why calling the Lakers to win it all is a bad pick. Considering they're not even healthy and they're 2nd out west seems pretty decent to me.

Celts, Spurs, Heat are the other contenders IMO... also gotta watch out for the Bulls, scary when Noah gets back. Magic still need a big IMO, Mavs losing Butler was big IMO, but they're also a team to watch out for, just as long as they stay healthy.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-13-2011, 03:33 PM

how lol?

xbrackattackx
01-13-2011, 04:55 PM
They won't.

I know I feel you, a lot of my fellow Lakers fan feel that they think they are just gonna get it and will get upset, That is why they are playing lazy and complacent they need to have more desire.They think they can just turn it on and win when they want too. But Since the Lakers are a year older, younger teams may can out run them. I think it all depends on if Gasol and Bynum are getting 20 a game along with Bynum and Ratliff staying healthy and our bench needs to perform and Odom needs to be playing like he is. Kobe will be the x factor if he can get it going then yea I think they have a good chance. If Gasol and Bryant struggle they could be early exits.

Hustlenomics
01-13-2011, 05:06 PM
the Spurs have no chance against the Celtics so this is ok

Mile High Champ
01-13-2011, 05:07 PM
I find this number hilarious. There is no way in reality 69% of the league thinks the Lakers will win the championship this year.

kswissdaf
01-13-2011, 05:11 PM
The Spurs are at 1%?
Many of you wonder why I don't hold players opinions with the highest value, and this kind of thing is why.
Players, whether current or retired, evaluate things differently, and not always correct. They think rings are the ONLY thing you use to evaluate, or winning, etc.
I am all for agreeing that until the champs are knocked off, they should be favorites. But giving the Spurs a 1% chance is laughable.

But yet you probably hold the little sports announcers on ESPN or someone on PSDs opinion who never have played the game. Players Knowledge>>>> any fans

Hawkeye15
01-13-2011, 05:17 PM
But yet you probably hold the little sports announcers on ESPN or someone on PSDs opinion who never have played the game. Players Knowledge>>>> any fans

why are some of the worst coach's, commentators, GM, etc, ex players?

Doing something doesn't always mean you understand it, can explain it, or know how to teach it. It gives you a head start, but nothing more

btw, I think most so called, "experts" are idiots, and you are right, I do hold a small number of posters here in higher regard than most media and many ex players believe it or not. Being subjective is very important when discussing sports, something many ex athletes are not capable of.

blueplanet
01-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Good now stop the season and give the championship to the Lakers..let's worry about the survey of next season.

Bruno
01-13-2011, 06:05 PM
The Spurs are at 1%?

But the core of this Spurs team does have rings, they have a lot of them. I'm not gona sit here and say the players are right 100% of the time, but this game is their life. IMO when the regular season is such a regular thing, such a given in your daily life, the end result will be emphasis on the importance of the post season. NBA fans value the regular season a lot more than the players do.

In the eyes of the players, the Spurs are a team that has gotten knocked out in the second and first round the past two years. Last post-season Duncan posted a playoff PER of under 20.0 for the first time in his entire career. They did pretty well in the regular season the year they got bumped in the first round, they had an SRS of 7th, and they posted a regular season SRS 4th last year when they got knocked out by The Suns in round two. This season they have an SRS of 2nd and the best record in the league?

I think it's silly to say the Spurs can not win it, and I'd give them more than a 1% chance to win it, but history says they go as far as Duncan can take them. He's 34. Ginobli has been playing out of his mind thus far, but can he keep it up for 100+ games? Has the core of their team changed that much since getting knocked out in the early rounds the past two years? Personally, I'll be a skeptic until Ginobli proves me wrong come playoffs, or until Duncan shows he can increase his post-season production relative to his regular season production, again.

JayW_1023
01-13-2011, 06:12 PM
But the core of this Spurs team does have rings, they have a lot of them. I'm not gona sit here and say the players are right 100% of the time, but this game is their life. IMO when the regular season is such a regular thing, such a given in your daily life, the end result will be emphasis on the importance of the post season. NBA fans value the regular season a lot more than the players do.

In the eyes of the players, the Spurs are a team that has gotten knocked out in the second and first round the past two years. Last post-season Duncan posted a playoff PER of under 20.0 for the first time in his entire career. They did pretty well in the regular season the year they got bumped in the first round, they had an SRS of 7th, and they posted a regular season SRS 4th last year when they got knocked out by The Suns in round two. This season they have an SRS of 2nd and the best record in the league?

I think it's silly to say the Spurs can not win it, and I'd give them more than a 1% chance to win it, but history says they go as far as Duncan can take them. He's 34. Ginobli has been playing out of his mind thus far, but can he keep it up for 100+ games? Has the core of their team changed that much since getting knocked out in the early rounds the past two years? Personally, I'll be a skeptic until Ginobli proves me wrong come playoffs, or until Duncan shows he can increase his post-season production relative to his regular season production, again.

Still if it was a young flashy team like OKC with The Spurs' record, they would at least get 30%. Just saying.

Bruno
01-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Still if it was a young flashy team like OKC with The Spurs' record, they would at least get 30%. Just saying.

You're probably right. The Spurs have always been knocked for being boring, even when they were younger.

JayW_1023
01-13-2011, 06:38 PM
Still I see nothing wrong with a team playing consistent good team basketball for 48 minutes...when a great team is clicking it's a great thing to watch.

But the NBA culture puts emphasis on individual highlight reels which is why what the Spurs do will always be underappreciated.

Hawkeye15
01-13-2011, 06:44 PM

I think anyone would. Which is why I say the players sometimes have a skewed way of looking at things.

Bruno
01-13-2011, 07:05 PM
I think anyone would. Which is why I say the players sometimes have a skewed way of looking at things.

I think it's one of those instances where players know the Spurs are good, but they were asked to pick one team who they favored. If the voting process was expanded to rank you're 1-5, like MVP voting the Spurs would be represented by a higher number. Maybe a lot of those players ranked SA 2nd behind the Lakers? That doesn't get represented in the numbers.

Also, awesome sig quote.

D Roses Bulls
01-13-2011, 07:14 PM
The Spurs are at 1%?

well you gotta think about it this way..... if they were former players I could understand, but these are current players that play against every single one of these teams. I'm sure some of it has to do with respect and I'm sure a little has to do with the fact that im sure most are still mad about the heat joining up like they did, but yet again, they know what the lakers a capable of, more so then these analysts who have never played basketball in their life or who haven't played in 5-10 years.

SteBO
01-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Still I see nothing wrong with a team playing consistent good team basketball for 48 minutes...when a great team is clicking it's a great thing to watch.

But the NBA culture puts emphasis on individual highlight reels which is why what the Spurs do will always be underappreciated.
I agree. At the end of the day, the way the Spurs play wins championships and on offense, they play as a team and they don't play that one on one BS.

JayW_1023
01-13-2011, 07:48 PM
An example of how great team basketball is to watch:

I remember in 2006, Game 1 of the first round series against the Sacrament Kings...pure collective team brilliance. That was like the perfect game for San Antonio. That was Shakespearian basketball right there. That game. Beautiful ball movement, everyone knew exactly where to be on both ends. It was 5 guys moving as one for 48 minutes and no second less, even in friggin' garbage time.

It was this game: http://espn.go.com/nba/recap/_/id/260422024/sacramento-kings-vs-san-antonio-spurs

I was never more proud to be a Spurs fan watching that game. I remember Bonzi taking it to us that series, but Game 1 was just basketball poetry in motion. And it was great to watch. I proclaim this game as the best Spurs game in the Duncan era.

I still cherish that game on April 22, 2006...even though the Mavericks beat us the next round. The playoffs were epic that year despite the fact the the Spurs didn't win it. Sorry for the homergasm...just couldn't help myself.

But if you wanna see great team basketball, to me that's the game to watch. Beautiful.

ElMarroAfamado
01-13-2011, 07:48 PM
I agree, partly. I mean how can the Spurs only have 1% when they've been playing this well. Don't at least 3 of their player's believe that they could go all the way. This is assuming however that each team has around 5 players who voted that may not have been the case however.

The Spurs are at 1% cause the players know what they are talking about. The Heat are also 3% for a reason. Regular season records mean nothing. Come back to this when the Spurs and Heat both get eliminated early in the playoffs..Great Thread.

John Walls Era
01-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Are people joking? Obviously they couldn't pick their own team......

Players in the NBA are going to be wrong like usual.

cez
01-13-2011, 09:17 PM
They have the pieces in place, but im not feeling them this year and will stay with the team i said since the beginning of the season. Spurs eventhough i really dont like that turtle looke alike duncan, caveman tony parker, and sam tucan ginobli.

Come on playa.....you know the Lakers will be a difficult out in the playoffs....as a Laker fan, I love the position we're in considering our starting center was out for an extensive amount of time. Like you said they have the pieces in place and are the 2 time defending champs and as such deserve the respect and love they are getting from Sports Illustrated subscribers. As much as non-Laker fans hate to admit....the road to the Championship goes through the winningest coach of all-time and the Kobe-led Lakers!:clap:

Da Knicks
01-13-2011, 11:15 PM
Come on playa.....you know the Lakers will be a difficult out in the playoffs....as a Laker fan, I love the position we're in considering our starting center was out for an extensive amount of time. Like you said they have the pieces in place and are the 2 time defending champs and as such deserve the respect and love they are getting from Sports Illustrated subscribers. As much as non-Laker fans hate to admit....the road to the Championship goes through the winningest coach of all-time and the Kobe-led Lakers!:clap:

They have the best team on paper but im not feeling them, i havent seen the fire from the past two years. If they feel like they can turn it on at any time now is the time to start turning it on. Bynum needs to stay healthy and Pau needs some needed rest, if by turning it on means Kobe shoots more they are really in trouble. just my humble opinion.;)

kArSoN RyDaH
01-13-2011, 11:54 PM
Aren't players NOT allowed to vote for their own team?

Bulls_fan90
01-14-2011, 12:27 AM

Michael Beasley thought they could...

Geargo Wallace
01-14-2011, 12:31 AM
69 haha

AddiX
01-14-2011, 12:33 AM
The Lakers size is built for winning in the playoffs. No matter what players another team has, no one can contend with that size.