PDA

View Full Version : How to stay sane when your team(s) suck

DerekRE_3
01-13-2011, 12:38 AM
I consider myself somewhat of an expert in the field of keeping your sanity when your team is awful. As a fan of the Kings, Bobcats, and 49ers I've had plenty of practice with it. Here are some tips to keep from losing hope in humanity:

-Laughter. Make fun of how bad your team or a certain player on your team is.
Example: Earlier this year I made my sig a short bus and said that's what Jason Thompson rode to the games (he's certifiably ********).

-Lower expectations. So you thought your team was going to make the playoffs. Woops.
Example: The Kings are awful...like really awful. Instead of my expectations being an improvement over last year, I will instead consider it a "win" if they get the ball over half court. I'm usually pleased.

-Draft position.
Unless you are a fan of the Bobcats like I am, high draft picks usually (key word is usually. Hi Adam Morrison) net good players. After yet another loss, proclaim that your team will get a higher draft pick. If by some miracle they do win, then just be happy they actually won. It's a win win.

-Root for the players, not the team.
Even bad teams have some good players. Just hope that some of your favorite players on your team have a good game.
Example: The 49ers just gave the Carolina Panthers their first win of the season and I had to watch David Carr throw a football. Well...at least Vernon Davis had a TD and 120 yards receiving.

-Hope that you have Hilton Armstrong on your team to provide you with entertainment.
Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljq59M9xXjA

-Rally against a really ****** player on your team with your fellow team posters.
Example: Andres Nocioni with the Kings last year. AWFUL. We made it through by making fun of him as much as possible and dreaming of the joy we will get seeing him traded.

210Don
01-13-2011, 12:40 AM
id go with the lower my expectations im gunna be there soon..... when timmy leaves thats what ima do. im gunna be like a crack fiend that goes cold turkey

VinceCarter
01-13-2011, 12:44 AM
I like to say "Damn........THE NET'S BLOW!!! The NET'S SUCK!!!" Then when they look good or even get a win :speechless: I can be happy.

asandhu23
I am a Warriors and 49ers fan. life sucks for me. :(. atleast the 49ers have a dynasty which keeps me sane

Hellcrooner
Ok lets lower the expectations.

beat the heat in 5 in the finals instead of sweeping :D

210Don
01-13-2011, 12:45 AM
I am a Warriors and 49ers fan. life sucks for me. :(

im sorry man.....

SFGiants4life
i am/was the same way

Kings
49ers
Giants (they sucked for a longgggggggggggggg time)

somehow the giants won this year and enabled me to allow for more sucking longer with the kings and 49ers

Mane
I'm very experienced in this topic as well, and use some of the same tactics.

Luckily, my team does have Hilton Armstrong. Watching him try to do some things, is usually entertainment in his own right. I think they should make a show that's just Hilton Armstrong running around a gym and shooting a basketball, it would most likely be more entertaining than any Wizards game.

As for rooting for players: As a Wizards and Redskins fan, i have very few selections of "good young players" to root for. I'm a John Wall/Nick Young/Javale McGee fan for the Wiz, and a Brandon Banks/Orakpo/Torain fan for the Redskins.

Watching Andray Blatche and Rex Grossman start games is nearly enough to make me sick, but anytime they fail, i get a good kick out of it, due to my hatred for them.

Sadly as a Redskins fan, i can't do the whole draft pick thing, because we usually trade ours for the likes of Donovan McNabb, or some other awful bust of a veteran.

And i like the Orioles and Nationals. Few things are redeeming in being a fan for these teams.

DerekRE_3
01-13-2011, 12:46 AM
i am/was the same way

Kings
49ers
Giants (they sucked for a longgggggggggggggg time)

somehow the giants won this year and enabled me to allow for more sucking longer with the kings and 49ers

The Giants very well may have saved your life. Let's hope Jim Harbaugh can save mine.

Hawkeye15
01-13-2011, 12:46 AM
I am a Wolves and Texans fan.

210Don, nobody is going to give your 20ish butt any sympathy as a Spurs fan hahahaha.

j/k homie :)

210Don
01-13-2011, 12:48 AM
I am a Wolves and Texans fan.

210Don, nobody is going to give your 20ish butt any sympathy as a Spurs fan hahahaha.

j/k homie :)

true. but when the spurs suck there my only team in sa!!!! lol ima needa pick up a football team at least the rangers are good lol

jetsfan28
01-13-2011, 12:49 AM
As a Knicks and Mets fan, I fully support the first and last points. Laughter is the best medicine, and nothing makes games watchable more than the ability to hate on Oliver Perez and Starbury/Curry.

StriveGreatness
01-13-2011, 01:02 AM
I like turtles.

Kakaroach
01-13-2011, 01:04 AM
Agree on all points with Derek! As a Bengals fan, it really helps doing these things.

gbrl
01-13-2011, 01:08 AM
pacer/raider fan its been a bad decade. i agree with the tips

Y2JOrdan
01-13-2011, 01:13 AM
i agree to all the above points. I'm a fan of the Ravens, Red Socks, and Rockets. I've definitely lower my expectations with the rockets, due to injuries to star players over the years.

HoopsDrive
01-13-2011, 01:26 AM
Raptors: relive the VC years. Those moments still bring joy to me even though the Raptors absolutely suck right now.

Blue Jays: nothing much to say here. Always mediocre... no pain, no joy... at least we got Baustista... for now.

That's about it for sucking teams though. SPFC doing very well in the past years and Brazil always contends for everything. Everything's well in futbol land.

JeffG20
01-13-2011, 01:28 AM
I listen to justin Bieber, his voice makes everything alright

arkanian215
01-13-2011, 01:32 AM
I watch the development of the youngins.

RipCity32
01-13-2011, 02:02 AM
Its very hard for us pistons fans but i still love everything they have done for me in the past.Still proud of the franchise though and wouldnt trade them for any other one.

Ovratd1up
01-13-2011, 02:16 AM
I listen to justin Bieber, his voice makes everything alright

If you mean that listening to Bieber's voice reminds you that there are real, horrifying things in the world besides your sports team, then I agree.

hugepatsfan
01-13-2011, 02:20 AM
That Hilton Armstrong video is ****ing hilarious!!! lol

abe_froman
01-13-2011, 02:22 AM
cheer losses.draft positioning should become your main priority as a fan,and thus follow college prospects more closely than you do your own players

JDink24
01-13-2011, 02:38 AM
I post sad faced emotions on internet forums. :(

Sadds The Gr8
01-13-2011, 02:43 AM
The Raptors ****in suck. We've sucked *** for awhile but the worst thing about it is that we're never 'worst team in the league' suck, we're like between crappity crap crap, and 8th spot in the east....we're right in the middle. That's the worst spot to be in when you're rebuilding. Right now all i care about is Derozan playing well.

NJrockPD
01-13-2011, 02:46 AM
I express my feelings about the stupid moves my team makes and then I make jokes to lighten a dark situation. I'm a Redskins fan so there is a lot to laugh about, I'm also a Bulls fan so I had some bad years there too.

Hellcrooner
01-13-2011, 02:46 AM
Anyway i remember that when my team sucked......for ten minutes in the 90s id just forget bout the nba and listen to a lot of popular music of the moment.
Wich was depressing...Grunge!!!!!!!!!

Robbw241
01-13-2011, 02:48 AM
I just watch Boki highlights.

asandhu23
01-13-2011, 02:50 AM
The Gold Rush dancers and Warriors Girls keep me sane

iFYouSeekAmy
01-13-2011, 02:52 AM
Get yourself a scapegoat for every loss. For example, us Warrior fans use Vladimir Radmanivic as our scapegoat.

iFYouSeekAmy
01-13-2011, 02:54 AM
The Gold Rush dancers and Warriors Girls keep me sane

too bad there's no mascot.. unless someone emails Lacob..:speechless:

JPHX
01-13-2011, 04:54 AM
sadly, our fanbase will be joining this club.

Duncan = Donkey
01-13-2011, 06:43 AM

We are already in the club:D

AI4MVP
01-13-2011, 06:52 AM

We are already in the club:D

were in it together fellas

el_primo_nano
01-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Im a die hard Knick fan, and then my basketball life went down the drain once Isiah arrived. When i tell you I stopped caring about basketball for almost 4 years, I'm not lying. I began rooting for the Lakers soon after Isiah began coaching. I've always loved Kobe, but I am a die hard Knicks/Lakers fan now

IamKaiserSoze
01-13-2011, 12:17 PM
listen up, none of you guys know about sports pain. this comes from a cubs fan. want to know how to stay sane...easy...absolut black russian. lots of them.

not so easy on the liver...but it makes all the bad stuff disappear

Corey
01-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Honestly, when it was the Celtics, draft prep all year :laugh2:

Obviously you're still going to watch the games, and root for the 'franchise' player if you have one, but you can't do much when the team sucks.

Hope you have some young players, so you can watch them develop.

DaBUU
01-13-2011, 12:41 PM
I like turtles.

Turtle Soup FTW!

macc
01-13-2011, 12:52 PM
I guess I look at it this way. As long as your team is entertaining you then that's what watching basketball/sports is all about. Yes everyone wants to win a championship but in reality, only one team can win each year.

So weather your team is a winning/losing team, if they keep you entertained while you're watching them then they are doing there job.

You look at the Clippers (Sorry clips fans, all 2 of you) there record sucks and they prob won't make the playoffs, but at least they can watch Blake Griffin go off every night, along with Gordon, BD showing flashes here and then.

Sports are entertainment. As long as you're entertained then that's the entire point.

Sly Guy
01-13-2011, 12:59 PM
you know, I don't find it all that hard. I'm watching the God-awful raps this season, but knowing they're gonna suck means I can watch without disappointment anymore. I like it.

(the Leafs must have beat this mentality into the very soul of the city)

CityofTreez
01-13-2011, 01:06 PM
Itch away!

smith&wesson
01-13-2011, 01:09 PM
first i was a leafs fan i lost all sanity.

now im a raps fan, and im still not gaining any back.

ManRam
01-13-2011, 01:11 PM
This is what bandwagons are for, duh. When my team sucks, I just pick a new and improved one. What's wrong with that ;)

But seriously, while my teams are all seeing relative success now, but like every team, they had their bad stretches.

For the Magic, I just pulled for players, and for draft picks. I was dragged to Magic games before I could even remember. My dad took me to a game the first year they existed...which was the second year I existed. Shaq was my first memory really, and he was why I cared at first. Then came T-Mac a little later, and he especially made rooting for a bad team easy. Grant enhanced the story lines. T-Mac put on a show every night, sacrificed his body playing 40 minutes a night for the worst team in the NBA...and now he's paying for it. I respect him admirably for that, and it made those terrible years okay.

With the Sox, it was kind of a build your hopes up, and then just watch them crumble thing. And while that isn't fun, it certainly is entertaining...and keeps you interested. They always were competitive enough, and had enough players to keep you satisfied. Yes, we were "cursed", but no, we were never the Royals.

I became a Pats fan when Pete Carroll was in charge. Went to a game when I was 9 or 10 and got a jersey for both Bledsoe and Milloy. I had a weird boy-crush on them...so really I just was a fan of those two first and foremost. That made non-playoff years tolerable.

For the Gators this year...John Brantley kept me interested. He sucks so bad to the point that it was cruel entertainment.

But I've been pretty lucky lately. Hurray for positive parental pressure in picking teams from two areas! Thank God Florida didn't have baseball teams when I was young (although, both have had success) and thank God my dad never let me root for the Bucs!

Phenomenonsense
01-13-2011, 01:13 PM
I always root for the Piston's to do well, but not win. I love seeing Greg Monroe get his 4th double double in a row. He's not athletic and it speaks to his ability to play and hsi IQ when he gets double doubles. If you can't jump higher than everyone out there to get rebounds, you have to have great positioning and know how. Basically I just like seeing the young core play well and learn from the crafty vets.

drama1386
01-13-2011, 01:18 PM
as a lifelong bucks & brewers fan, I can agree with all of those points. man, the bucks & brewers had a rough 90's & early 00's...at least the packers keep me sane!

FadeAwayLikeMJ
01-13-2011, 01:22 PM
watching the Celtics pre-2007 was just plain ol' heartbreaking year after year.

i would just root for The Truth and hope for the C's to upset every night

Kashmir13579
01-13-2011, 01:22 PM
Syracuse Orange

xbrackattackx
01-13-2011, 01:23 PM
I am a fan of Lakers(1st and foremost, me and my dad have been fans for life)/Clippers and Knicks/Magic. So I had to be upset before the Pau Gasol Era. And I am scared cause every time the clippers start playing well i am scared something happens or someone get injured. I am sure the Gym will collapse and everyone will survive but Blake Griffin and Eric Gordon.

THE WALL
01-13-2011, 01:26 PM
I like turtles.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

tbone2171
01-13-2011, 01:27 PM
As a Knicks and Mets fan, I fully support the first and last points. Laughter is the best medicine, and nothing makes games watchable more than the ability to hate on Oliver Perez and Starbury/Curry.

But wait, you didn't mention the Jets. ;)

Da Knicks
01-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Agree with the tips and love the sig like the faces!

John Walls Era
01-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Fan of Raptors, Rockets & Lions (not during Hakeems run, too young). You don't have it worse than me.... imo just appreciate other players, thats the only way I can bypass cheering for such bad teams.

iliketurtles24
01-13-2011, 02:57 PM
I like turtles.

what is this supposed to mean?????

iliketurtles24
01-13-2011, 03:01 PM
and im a wolves fan, soooooo, enough said there, and the vikings have never won a super bowl, sadly, should have last year, another topic though. i am always just optimistic in my team, always hoping them to get better. making fun of the bad players is fun too, or blaming the gm, mchale, or coach Brad Childress haha, like u could make fun of sprewell, i cant feed my family on 12 mil a year, granted that was when they were good, but sucked soon after, ya once they win you can always hate on the people who call themselves fans but really are bandwagons

Rivera
01-13-2011, 03:21 PM
that hilton armstrong video maybe the greatest video ever made hahahahaa

king4day
01-13-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm still not sure how to handle it with the Suns fall. It's been a long time and it's hard to root against my team to do well in the draft.

DerekRE_3
01-13-2011, 03:55 PM
I'm still not sure how to handle it with the Suns fall. It's been a long time and it's hard to root against my team to do well in the draft.

Don't worry after awhile you become numb to the losing. This year my pro teams are are a combined 29-59.

nycsports2
01-13-2011, 04:14 PM
im a yanks knicks jets fan all my teams r good at this point but the knicks just got done sucking for a decade i could barely watch it was so embarrassing. jets havent been 2 bad for the last decade unless itwas bc penni noodlearms got injured i just try to root for the stars on the team to help