PDA

View Full Version : When does the "when healthy" argument lose credibility?

beasted86
01-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Kind of NBA related since this is thrown around a lot on this forum.

Does it mainly lose credibility when you no longer feel the player has the ability to recover to the level they were before?

For example, would it be false to say, when healthy, Michael Redd is a top 10 SG in the NBA? Is it false because we all know Redd probably won't be a 22 PPG guy again, or is it because of the time span of being out almost 2 seasons. Is it false because during his time back last year he looked nothing like his former self?

Is it now false for McGrady because we believe he is now healthy? Is it false for Yao because his injury is so severe? When does the "when healthy" argument lose it's value.

Hellcrooner
01-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Pay a visit to lakers forum bout bynum to get ill bout "when healthy"

JordansBulls
01-12-2011, 04:55 PM
When they are hardly ever healthy.

macc
01-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Where is Michael Redd these days?

sargon21
01-12-2011, 05:05 PM
when people mention Greg Oden and his potential... or good play shown through advanced statistics over what, 20 games, please

dtmagnet
01-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Always because no team or player is ever 100% healthy.

beasted86
01-12-2011, 05:12 PM
When they are hardly ever healthy.

So how do you define that. How many games or seasons of missing a lot of games would it take? For example, would a "when healthy" argument for Chris Kaman lack credibility?

Also how do you define when a player is actually healthy? What if I said Baron Davis is a top 10 PG when healthy?

Hawkeye15
01-12-2011, 05:14 PM
whenever you need to use that term a large portion of the time when describing a player, he should be dropped from whatever debate he is involved in.

Giraffes Rule
01-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Any chronic injury (like Yao Ming or Brandon Roy) can make that argument lose credibility. Sure Brandon Roy was one of the most dangerous scorers before his knees started breaking down, but now it's been 2 seasons of him having problems and he just can't be ranked up there. Maybe he can recover and reclaim his high status, but right now he's not a big threat.

beasted86
01-12-2011, 05:39 PM
How about an "out of shape" injury like Baron Davis or (drum roll) Eddy Curry (:rimshot:)?

Can they still get the "when healthy" or does healthy and out of shape have two seperate categories?

Slimsim
01-12-2011, 05:49 PM

That's a Name i haven't heard in a while.

He might be the next Grant hill If healthy

sep11ie
01-12-2011, 06:05 PM
When they are defending a broken heart.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-12-2011, 06:07 PM
When it is used to defend Andrew Bynum.

drama1386
01-12-2011, 06:22 PM

redd is at his home in ohio, rehabbing from tearing his mcl & acl in the same knee a 2nd time. it happend last january while playing against the lakers. he should be be back by february...and that's only if the bucks do not trade his expiring $18 mil contract.

Lucky Junior
01-12-2011, 06:58 PM
This is a very good question. My initial thought was that it never is, because you're really just saying that at that players max, thats what they are capable of. But then I think of guys like Grant Hill, and I don't think he fits in the Redd or Odem category at all. I mean, this guy was hurt for years, and it seemed like his maximum ability to contribute was down, and then all of the sudden he's back to being an all star and has almost maintained that level of play over the following years. The human body is the most complicated computer ever, and you just never know exactly what's going on within an individuals body.

John Walls Era
01-12-2011, 07:00 PM
When its not true.

blastmasta26
01-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Almost always. An example of it being credible is if last year someone were to say Chris Paul is the best PG when healthy. It loses credibility on any player with recurring injuries (Oden, Yao) or regression post-injury (T-Mac).