PDA

View Full Version : Why would anybody call San Antonio a small-market team?

mrblisterdundee
01-12-2011, 04:17 PM
I swear that I've heard comments about the San Antonio Spurs being a model for a successful "small-market" team. While scanning Wikipedia, I noticed that San Antonio is the seventh most populous city in the U.S. Dallas, Detroit, Indianapolis, Boston and countless other cities - all less populous than San Antonio - have teams that I've never heard mentioned as "small-market." Do most people in San Antonio not like basketball? Is that why a team in one of the country's most populous cities is still sometimes mentioned as "small-market"?

(As a side note, Salt Lake City, with 183,000 people (127th), is the least populous city with an NBA team.)

celtsballa21
01-12-2011, 04:20 PM
The "small-market" is because San Antonio is not necessarily a popular place for sports. Boston has the Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics, and Patriots which makes it one of the largest markets in the USA. Even though Boston has a smaller population, it is all about the size of the population dedicated to the sports industry.

IDB Josh M
01-12-2011, 04:33 PM
The "market" that is referred to is the metropolitan population, Media market as established by the FCC, and also cultural identity. Using detroit as an example, the Piston's market would be the city of detroit, all of the detroit suburbs AND the entire state of Michigan. In regards to Boston, they have Boston and its suburbs, the state of Massachusettes, and all of the New England states (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and even connecticut).

Now San Antonio's market would reasonably be just the City of San Antonio and its surburbs, and not expand as dramatically as Detroit's or Boston's market. This doesn't even take into account that the Maverick's and Rockets have their own market share in Dallas and Houston respectively. If the Mavs and Rockets did not exist, the Spur's market can conceivably include the Houston and Dallas markets.

Flash3
01-12-2011, 04:33 PM
we call them as we see them.

Hellcrooner
01-12-2011, 04:35 PM
They are really respectable for what they do like the jazz props to both.

And i loved San Antonio when i was there.

LTBaByyy
01-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Its a tourist city, people go there for vacation, not to live like other cities

They are one of the top 15 cities in visits in the US, its like basically like Austin w/ an NBA team

They have the alamo, sea world, river walk, and six flags and other stuff

Thats why they only have one professonal team out of all sports

CBCable
01-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Have you ever been to San Antonio?

Wade>You
01-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Interestingly enough: 42. Miami Florida 433,136 ppl

I here a lot of people say we're a big market city. I'm still waiting for ESPNFlorida.com or ESPNMiami.com

abe_froman
01-12-2011, 04:46 PM
I swear that I've heard comments about the San Antonio Spurs being a model for a successful "small-market" team. While scanning Wikipedia, I noticed that San Antonio is the seventh most populous city in the U.S. Dallas, Detroit, Indianapolis, Boston and countless other cities - all less populous than San Antonio - have teams that I've never heard mentioned as "small-market." Do most people in San Antonio not like basketball? Is that why a team in one of the country's most populous cities is still sometimes mentioned as "small-market"?

(As a side note, Salt Lake City, with 183,000 people (127th), is the least populous city with an NBA team.)

because markets are counted as larger than the direct population of said city.you have to look at the merto area....in which sa is 28th.alot of people live in the burbs and not the city direct when talking us living habits

like you mentioned dallas,your only counting dallas proper and not the entire dallas-fort worth metroplex area,discounting the people who live in arlington,ft. worth,irving,ect. which a great many people live(most of the mav fans)and also make up the market for

Hellcrooner
01-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Market i guess has to do more with FAAME of the city than inhabitants

If you would ask here in spain for the average joe to tell you the biggest ten usa citys theyd probably tell

1 NY

2 L.A

3 Washington

4 Chicago

5 San Francisco

6 Boston

7 Miami

8 Philadelphia

9 Houston

10 Dallas.

Or something of the like.

Giraffes Rule
01-12-2011, 04:52 PM

They are one of the top 15 cities in visits in the US, its like basically like Austin w/ an NBA team

:facepalm: Because tourists totally count as part of the population.

jezzyman05
01-12-2011, 04:56 PM

Fail Post of the month right here :facepalm:

I can tell you have never been or lived in San Antonio

- San Antonio ranks 7th (or 8th depends on what report you read) as the largest cities in the nation
- the Alamo, Sea World, Riverwalk and Six Flags are great but you forgot that SA has one of strongest economies in the country.
- We only have one professional team, but San Antonio is the second largest Cowboy fan base in the country that why when the Cowboys come to town the Alamodome is a packed house and thats just for thier practice. This town can easily supprot an NFL team (remember 2005 Saints) however most San Antonians love the Cowboys.
- The MLB has inquired about San Antonio numerous times and eventlually we will have a MLB Team

please research your material before you post :facepalm:

sargon21
01-12-2011, 05:04 PM
All I know is that I went there to see a game, and the arena is a shithole.

knicksfan42
01-12-2011, 05:05 PM
The "market" that is referred to is the metropolitan population, Media market as established by the FCC, and also cultural identity. Using detroit as an example, the Piston's market would be the city of detroit, all of the detroit suburbs AND the entire state of Michigan. In regards to Boston, they have Boston and its suburbs, the state of Massachusettes, and all of the New England states (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and even connecticut).

Now San Antonio's market would reasonably be just the City of San Antonio and its surburbs, and not expand as dramatically as Detroit's or Boston's market. This doesn't even take into account that the Maverick's and Rockets have their own market share in Dallas and Houston respectively. If the Mavs and Rockets did not exist, the Spur's market can conceivably include the Houston and Dallas markets.

^ This

smith&wesson
01-12-2011, 05:06 PM
ppl think toronto is a small market and we have a population of over 6 million ppl and were the 5th largest city in north america,

mexico city
new york
LA
chicago
toronto

only uneducated and miss informed ppl make statements about small markets in here before doing any kind of research. these points have been made a million times and theres always some ignorant comment.

jezzyman05
01-12-2011, 05:09 PM

I here a lot of people say we're a big market city. I'm still waiting for ESPNFlorida.com or ESPNMiami.com

No you guys are a small market team like it or not you are the only citiy thats not in the top 10 that I would consider a large Market town is Minneapolis-St Pual and thats becuase of the TV Market but even that a stretch

ATX
01-12-2011, 05:10 PM
It's called Metro area. These populations are not considered in Census city poulations. While SA is 7th largest or whatever, I can assure you it is a very small city in comparison to cities such as Houston, Dallas, Miami, Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston, etc. It is a small market. Seattle for example may only have a city limits population of say 750 thousand, but the greater Metro area is much closer to 3.5 million. SA on the other hand, has roughly a city limits population of 1.1 million, but a metro of only 1.8 million.

Corey
01-12-2011, 05:12 PM
All I know is that I went there to see a game, and the arena is a shithole.

Really? I've been to the AT&T center, I didn't think it was that bad.

jezzyman05
01-12-2011, 05:12 PM
I actually like being labeled a small market town, very quiet and peaceful I take that over Chicago or Los Angeles (just my preference)

Love this town (San Antonio)

Giraffes Rule
01-12-2011, 05:17 PM

Admittedly the AT&T center isn't on the best part of town. I think the building itself is pretty nice though. Seats are a little smaller than I'd like, but it's a hell of a lot better than the Alamodome.

joeym
01-12-2011, 05:19 PM

The first time that I heard the term "small-market" it was in baseball and it was applied to describe the smaller, less populous teams that were at a financial disadvantage in tersm of budget as compared to the alrger marekts due to the lack of a salary cap in baseball....

By this definition, we could not refer to the spurs as small market because there is a cap in basketball and most teams spend roughly the same amount of money....I have some family there and I do know that the Spurs are well-supported...small market or not....

LTBaByyy
01-12-2011, 05:20 PM

- San Antonio ranks 7th (or 8th depends on what report you read) as the largest cities in the nation
- the Alamo, Sea World, Riverwalk and Six Flags are great but you forgot that SA has one of strongest economies in the country.
- We only have one professional team, but San Antonio is the second largest Cowboy fan base in the country that why when the Cowboys come to town the Alamodome is a packed house and thats just for thier practice. This town can easily supprot an NFL team (remember 2005 Saints) however most San Antonians love the Cowboys.
- The MLB has inquired about San Antonio numerous times and eventlually we will have a MLB Team

please research your material before you post :facepalm:

I have been to San Antonio twice, dont get your panties in a bunch buddy just bc this thread is about your city

Flash3
01-12-2011, 05:32 PM

we're not.

Flash3
01-12-2011, 05:35 PM

i've been there also and it was pretty bad.

Flash3
01-12-2011, 05:36 PM
I actually like being labeled a small market town, very quiet and peaceful I take that over Chicago or Los Angeles (just my preference)

im the same way. it just makes what we accomplished this summer even better.

Giraffes Rule
01-12-2011, 06:01 PM
For those bashing the AT&T Center: What's so bad about it? And what are the nicest basketball arenas (so if I ever get the opportunity to check them out and compare them myself).

LTBaByyy
01-12-2011, 06:30 PM
The Spurs have a great team! But one of the worst if not worst arenas in the league, you can research that "Girrafes Rule"

If they are such a big market with all the money like you say girrafes rule they would have a new arena by now

Nets, Spurs, T Wolves, and Hornets have the worst arenas in the league

Pacers, Jazz, and Magic have the best arenas

And I guess Knicks if you wanna just go off history, even though its not the nicest right now cant wait to see their renovations on MSG this summer

LTBaByyy
01-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Copy

Giraffes Rule
01-12-2011, 07:13 PM
The Spurs have a great team! But one of the worst if not worst arenas in the league, you can research that "Girrafes Rule"

If they are such a big market with all the money like you say girrafes rule they would have a new arena by now

Nets, Spurs, T Wolves, and Hornets have the worst arenas in the league

Pacers, Jazz, and Magic have the best arenas

And I guess Knicks if you wanna just go off history, even though its not the nicest right now cant wait to see their renovations on MSG this summer

First off; calm down homeslice. I'm not debating that the AT&T center is some amazing facility that's greater than anything else. I literally have nothing to compare it to, other than my own experiences with it which I've enjoyed. Just asking for people to explain why it's so bad, since all anyone else has said (including you) is that it sucks. Just looking for actual reasons to help me understand their point of view. :)

Second; I don't recall ever saying the Spurs are a big market team with a lot of money to spend. Not sure where you got that from at all, because they are a small market team with a generally lower payroll than the other teams competing for a championship. Even when they got the AT&T Center built it was because the city sold it as being funded by tourists' money.

Thanks for the list of other nice arenas, though I doubt I'd ever find myself visiting the cities they're in.

kfranks22
01-12-2011, 08:05 PM
San Antonio is the 37th ranked media market, it's not strickly about the city limits, it's also about the surrounding area's. Sacramento is a larger market for Christ sakes, and Sacramento is the biggiest piece of crap town that owns a professional team (trust me I live there).

SouthSideRookie
01-12-2011, 08:48 PM

Even though some have disagreed with this statement here but in reality it is the prevailing thought among many.

- The MLB has inquired about San Antonio numerous times and eventlually we will have a MLB Team please research your material before you post :facepalm:

San Antonio just doesn't have the corporate backing that's needed to support multiple sports franchises. Selling out a game or several games is not the same as supporting a franchise for the duration of a lease which would equate to decades long, there is a reason why the Spurs are the only team in town.

I agree with you here, I visit SA quite alot since I have family living there. I would put it right up there amongst the second-tier cities.

BlondeBomber41
01-12-2011, 11:12 PM
They are a small market team. Have you ever been to San Antonio?

Poor and overcrowded doesn't make it a "big market".