PDA

View Full Version : When Are The Pacers Going To Fire Jim O'Brien?

JasonJohnHorn
01-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Firstly, please don't move to Pacer's forum, I'm hoping to get a reponce from fans around the league:

The Pacer are a great team on paper. I know the last few years O'Brien has had to deal with injuries, but they have been relatively healthy this season. They got Dunleavy and Granger on the wing, which gives them a size advantage at those positions against most teams, they have a strong young center who is steadily reaching his potential in Hibbert, Hansborough has got some game, showed it last year, but seems to be struggling for minutes this season, Foster remains one of the league best rebounders (though he has missed some times), they have a decent PG rotation with Collison and TJ Ford, and they have veteran experience with Posey and depth with guys like Rush and McRoberts. But they are still on pace to their fourth straight season with no improvement under O'Brien. I realize he took over at a rough time in the franchises history, and that he did alright his frist season there, but this team should be in the playoffs! They have the talent and the dpeth and the experience, they should be over .500! How long are Pacers fans going to watch a team loaded with talent wallow in the dulrdums of the eastern conference! I mean the eastern conference for crying out loud! Seriously?

IndyRealist
01-12-2011, 01:00 PM
You've just encapsulated the frustration of every Pacers fan for the last 4 years.

Jim O'Brien is a stubborn, ego-driven, hardcase who has never been, nor ever will be, a winner. His offense is a gimmicky 3pt shooting nightmare. His defense sends opponents to the line like crazy.

I feel really bad for Darren Collison. He should be having an all-star year, yet because of O'Brien's refusal to run pick n' roll (until last night), Collison has looked like a fluke. And what happens when O'Brien finally relents and lets Darren run the show? He goes for 21pts, 13asts, 1 turnover.

tangent12
01-12-2011, 01:07 PM
I think the team agreed that they wanted to stay mediocre for the rest of their franchise life.

beasted86
01-12-2011, 01:07 PM
I have no clue. 4 straight losing seasons and the guy still has his job. Larry Bird must be just as stubborn.

I think the reality is though, that the Pacers are in such financial distress they can't afford to fire him and pay two coaches at the same time.

jtsunami
01-12-2011, 01:17 PM
I've been in Indianapolis for about 9 months. I'm a Bulls fan as you may tell. But I can tell you that the overwhelming opinion is that everyone hates Jim O'Brien. I personally don't think he's a good coach either.

You could see flashes of a playoff team earlier in the season. They have some talented players on the roster. But when it comes down to it, you need an all-star to compete. Granger is good, but he's not good enough to be the best player on a playoff team.

It's been a long time since the Pacers have had a good team, and each year it seems as if the city is casting them off because there is no improvement. I remember back when Reggie, Chris Mullin, the Flying Dutchman, and Mark Jackson were leading the Pacers. It was exciting. Something needs to change. I would honestly start with trying to get draft picks. Collison, Granger, and Hibbert is a good core. But the other starters are role players, not starters on playoff teams.

I would trade one of Collison, Granger, and Hibbert for a lottery pick at the deadline if it would be possible (plus a player, of course).

Fire Jim O'Brien and get a new head coach and move Bird into Player Development.

Swashcuff
01-12-2011, 01:41 PM
I would trade one of Collison, Granger, and Hibbert for a lottery pick at the deadline if it would be possible (plus a player, of course).

Fire Jim O'Brien and get a new head coach and move Bird into Player Development.

I don't live in Indianapolis hell I don't even live in the US but I would be of the opinion that the Pacers fans has had enough of their team building through the draft I mean after all they've been doing it for 6+ years. What they need to do is sign a player like Al Horford in the off season, fire their coach and continue on from there.

Now signing a big name FA is a real long-shot for the Pacers so they may eventually end up trading Granger for somewhat equal calibre player and trying to head in a different direction. A player like Kevin Love would be ideal but in all honesty Andre Iguodala :pray: and fillers may be the most likely trade piece.

Hellcrooner
01-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Man, maybe it is that the players are not that good┐

LanceUpperCut
01-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Well the Raps would love Granger, Hibbert or possibly Collision we have picks we have big expering contracts and a TPE.
I agree something is wrong in Indy the have talent and should be better always like Dunleavy and though if he could stay healthy he would be a force in this league mind you I never seen him play to much.

Sadds The Gr8
01-12-2011, 02:16 PM
i've been wondering this too

IndyRealist
01-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Well the Raps would love Granger, Hibbert or possibly Collision we have picks we have big expering contracts and a TPE.
I agree something is wrong in Indy the have talent and should be better always like Dunleavy and though if he could stay healthy he would be a force in this league mind you I never seen him play to much.

Every player on the Pacers over 25 is an expiring contract except for Granger, Dahntay Jones and James Posey. I doubt expirings or TPE's would be that inticing. Draft picks and players.

FinsSuperBowl
01-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Jim obrien is trying to run an offense that rarely runs pick n roll (pick n roll is the strength of Collison, Ford, and Price). Last nite really showed that. Hibbert need to be more involved with pick n rolls as well. The lack of pick n roll just leads to bad shot attempts which brings down the whole teams shooting percentage. Dunleavy cant guard a soul (he is like a bigger slower version of nash on defense). Granger got the green light to jack up shots and our George needs some playing time. If we run pick n rolls more often we will be a good team heading into next offseason with a bunch of cap room to get any other player we want

kurivaimu
01-12-2011, 02:49 PM
I must agree with the popular opinion that Jim O'brien isn't much of a coach. In my opinion the team looks good on paper, they have various pieces to make it work and be a team over .500. First off, Collison isn't playing his game. He really shined last year when Paul was injured and i really thought he would tear the league up this year but under Jim O'brien it is unlikely to happen.
Second, they arent't really playing to their strengths. Dunleavy/'Granger are nightmare matchups.. Hibbert can contribute. What i want to say is that they have a lot of options but just aren't using them because their offensivse sets are so one-sided.

John Walls Era
01-12-2011, 04:07 PM
I think the team agreed that they wanted to stay mediocre for the rest of their franchise life.

:laugh:

John Walls Era
01-12-2011, 04:08 PM
TBH they shouldn't. I doubt anyone was even expecting them to make the playoffs.