PDA

View Full Version : When does stat-grubbing go too far?

D1JM
01-12-2011, 03:16 AM
http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011/01/11/when-does-stat-grubbing-go-too-far/

I was watching the Celtics-Rockets on mute Monday, and when I saw Rajon Rondo slow down to a halt with nothing but an open court in front of him during the play below, I assumed the officials had called a foul off the ball and stopped play.

Nope. Rondo had just decided he didn’t feel like cruising in for an uncontested layup, and that he’d rather pause long enough for Ray Allen to catch up so that he could toss the ball to his teammate for a dunk.

This is not an isolated thing, as any Boston fan knows. On Saturday against the Bulls, Rondo did this:

Does this bother anyone? It bothers me just a little bit, because Rondo is passing up the simplest play to pad his assist totals. Please note I said bothers me only a little bit. This is not a case of a guy failing to get back on defense or tossing up a shot on his own basket in order to secure a triple-double or picking up needless technical fouls during crunch time.

And I can hear the most passionate Celtics fans saying two things:

1) Rondo’s job as point guard is to keep everyone happy, and giving Allen a few tasty dunks helps in that regard. Fine. But Ray Allen is not some 22-year-old finding his confidence in the NBA. He’s Ray Allen. He doesn’t need anyone’s help.

2) Rondo didn’t create any real risk on either of these plays. The Bulls and Rockets blatantly failed to hustle back on defense, and no defender was near Allen even though Allen started each play far behind Rondo. With no defenders around, the chances of anything going wrong on either pass were minimal.

This second point is legit. Rondo is one of the smartest players in the league — did you see him nearly goad Aaron Brooks into an eight-second violation Monday? — and he wouldn’t gamble irresponsibly in order to pad his stats. He chronically passes up shots he should probably take, but most of those are contested looks in the lane that Rondo might be hesitant to take for other reasons — a belief that he can get a teammate a better look, his own poor foul shooting, etc.

The two plays highlighted here are different. They are blatant stat-padding with almost no risk attached. A minor thing, but slightly distasteful, and I’d rather see Rondo just finish these babies himself.

Two videos in the link.

sargon21
01-12-2011, 03:22 AM
eh, not that big of a deal, what westbrook did was classless imo, this is nbd

Kyle N.
01-12-2011, 03:22 AM
This is when it goes too far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljq59M9xXjA

Gators123
01-12-2011, 03:24 AM

:laugh2:

Some people like scoring points, others like getting rebounds, Rondo likes getting assist. No big deal IMO.

Doogolas
01-12-2011, 03:30 AM
Let's just get this out of the way now:
Rondo > Rose > Westbrook > Rondo
/Loop to Infinity

Now, to the topic at hand. Eh, I don't like it. It annoys me a little kinda like the guy who wrote it. I think it's unnecessary and has a TINY bit of risk, small as that might be. But it's not really a huge deal. :shrug:

Chronz
01-12-2011, 03:35 AM
Players do this all the time in less conspicuous ways, its really nothing new. This has nothing to do with class or any mumbo jumbo. Anyone that wants to nitpick, Rondo is hurting his FG% and PPG so him getting an assist does nothing to change his stock as a player.

Kobes a Killer
01-12-2011, 03:41 AM
There's nothing wrong with wanting to get an assist, its not like his team was up 15 with 10 seconds to go and he pulls a Westbrook, or a Turk for his trip dub. Oh hey it's a Rose fan who started this thread, big surprise

D1JM
01-12-2011, 04:02 AM
There's nothing wrong with wanting to get an assist, its not like his team was up 15 with 10 seconds to go and he pulls a Westbrook, or a Turk for his trip dub. Oh hey it's a Rose fan who started this thread, big surprise

what does it has to do with me being a bulls fan? I knew a person was going to say it within the first 10 ten post.

Any other player would of probably just taken the layup. Rondo, on the other hand, does care about his assist. I bet if lebron or rose did this, hell would of broken lose. I dont think ray allen needs a no contested dunk to gain his confidence.

MackShock
01-12-2011, 04:16 AM
LOl at hilton armstrong..

Kyle N.
01-12-2011, 05:08 AM
I think Westbrook's was understandingly annoying. But I think if the other team isn't going to run back on defense, you should be able to do whatever you want. It's not like he was hurting his team in any way.

Hustlenomics
01-12-2011, 05:10 AM
you Bulls fans really needa hop off Rondo's jock it's becoming sickening

redsox0717
01-12-2011, 05:27 AM

This. x100. They're obsessed with hating on Rondo and quite frankly it's getting pathetic.

redsox0717
01-12-2011, 05:37 AM
what does it has to do with me being a bulls fan? I knew a person was going to say it within the first 10 ten post.

Any other player would of probably just taken the layup. Rondo, on the other hand, does care about his assist. I bet if lebron or rose did this, hell would of broken lose. I dont think ray allen needs a no contested dunk to gain his confidence.

And stuff like this happens all the time, like in tonight's Cleveland game, Kobe had a wide open dunk but he bounced it off the backboard to his teammate. Time to make a thread about that too.

MelkyNYY
01-12-2011, 05:45 AM
For the record:

Rose is a better basketball player than Rondo.
Rondo is a better point guard than Rose.
Westbrook is a better basketball player than both of them.
Rondo is a better point guard than all three of them.

I feel like everyone has to state where they stand before they can be heard on any issue regarding Rondo or Rose.

I think it's cheap and Rondo should take the layup and stop stat-padding.

MelkyNYY
01-12-2011, 05:46 AM
And stuff like this happens all the time, like in tonight's Cleveland game, Kobe had a wide open dunk but he bounced it off the backboard to his teammate. Time to make a thread about that too.

Kobe didn't do it for the assist. That's the difference. Kobe finished with a 13/8 line. He was just having fun. Rondo was clearly looking for assists in both of those clips.

Crackadalic
01-12-2011, 08:02 AM
um no and even if he was whats wrong we wanting to pad your assist total. i play pg when i play pickup games and i actually enjoy getting the assist for my teammate then jacking up a shot like a ****** so kudos to rondo for being a pg

colinskik
01-12-2011, 08:47 AM
As much as I'd like to find a reason to hate on him, there's nothing wrong with this in the grand scheme of things. Sure it's a little annoying cause he gets like 17 assists a night it seems, but there ain't nothing wrong with it.

Testaverde16
01-12-2011, 09:05 AM
Did he? Sure. Does EVERY young player? Yeah.... maybe not every single one, but stats are part of the game, and a lot of players love their stats. It is not a big deal at all.

When Ricky Davis shot at his own basket for a rebound, that was too far. When that dude on Washington yelled at his teammate for getting a rebound instead of letting him get it so he'd get a triple double, that was a little nuts. But this is no big deal.

magichatnumber9
01-12-2011, 09:15 AM
Stat padding are you ****ing serious are just stupid. If he gets a steel and a teammate hustles behind him he always gives them the ball and the 2 points. He's a true point guard which is something the Bulls have never had so they wouldn't understand.

avrpatsfan
01-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Who cares? Maybe Rondo likes to make his teammates look good rather than make himself look good. It's a breath of fresh air in the NBA.

heatbb
01-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Who the hell cares really. I don't like him getting 15assists a night but he has every right to do whatever he likes and decides, as long as it doesn't hurt the team.

Reversed86Curse
01-12-2011, 09:55 AM
Super surprised to see this from a bulls fan.....:yawn: Get over it, our point guard gets assists and plays defense; your point guard takes a crap load of shots and scores..... just the way it is

Hawkeye15
01-12-2011, 10:08 AM
happens all the time, who cares.

Slimsim
01-12-2011, 10:19 AM

And this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MezCclCSjNw

magichatnumber9
01-12-2011, 10:37 AM
NBA's top 10 number 3.... Kobe Bryant does the same thing. This is why PSD was glad the Heat got Lebron and not Chicago

ZHawk1123
01-12-2011, 10:50 AM
He's unselfish, who cares?

NYKNYGNYY
01-12-2011, 10:56 AM
its an 11 11 game at the time.........

Double_R
01-12-2011, 11:28 AM
What Rondo did is no big deal, he rewarded Ray for running the floor... What Westbrook did was absolutely as wack as it gets; if there was 1 minute left, I have no problem, but when that happened the game was over and everyone had quit playing. He didn't have a triple double, he was an ast short in my mind.

gaughan333
01-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Stat padding are you ****ing serious are just stupid. If he gets a steel and a teammate hustles behind him he always gives them the ball and the 2 points. He's a true point guard which is something the Bulls have never had so they wouldn't understand.

If you are going to call someone stupid, read your post first.

DaBUU
01-12-2011, 12:32 PM

We're talking about the Celtics and Bulls, but since you've never seen a winning team you wouldn't understand this convo.

and i'll whisper so no one else notices, (you spelled steal wrong) shhhhhhhhh

DaBUU
01-12-2011, 12:36 PM
Super surprised to see this from a bulls fan.....:yawn: Get over it, our point guard gets assists and plays defense; your point guard takes a crap load of shots and scores..... just the way it is

I'm really not that shocked you dont know what you're talking about.

gaughan333
01-12-2011, 12:36 PM
We're talking about the Celtics and Bulls, but since you've never seen a winning team you wouldn't understand this convo.

and i'll whisper so no one else notices, (you spelled steal wrong) shhhhhhhhh

Beat ya to it. Your whisper was not needed.

Klivlend
01-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Really not an issue. PG's do this all the time. Even in pick-up games

RocketPower2010
01-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Like I say to every showboat/stat paddle opponent:

If you don't like DeSean falling into the endzone backwards, tackle him!

If you don't like Westbrook getting a last minute assist, don't walk off the court!

If you don't like Rondo getting a cheap assist in fastbreak, get back on defense!

RZZZA
01-12-2011, 01:50 PM
I don't see the big deal either. He was gonna score any way, so it's either he scores or he gets an extra assist, whats the difference?

I don't see this as making Rondo better or worse in my eyes as a player or person

rickshaw
01-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Kobe didn't do it for the assist. That's the difference. Kobe finished with a 13/8 line. He was just having fun. Rondo was clearly looking for assists in both of those clips.

but if he went for the layup he "pads" his scoring stats. no matter what he does his stats go up.

maybe he was just rewarding his teammate for hustling like many people do on a 2-0 break?

beasted86
01-12-2011, 01:53 PM

:clap:

RZZZA
01-12-2011, 01:53 PM
what the, it's not a united front. Some bulls fans actually like Rondo. Like me.

or at the very least, we don't hate him.

blastmasta26
01-12-2011, 01:54 PM
but if he went for the layup he "pads" his scoring stats. no matter what he does his stats go up.

maybe he was just rewarding his teammate for hustling like many people do on a 2-0 break?
Exactly.

magichatnumber9
01-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Poll don't lie. Please I hope the Celtics play the Bulls in the Playoffs.

RZZZA
01-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Nothing can be discussed on this forum without it all coming back to "what team do you support?"

D1JM
01-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Poll don't lie. Please I hope the Celtics play the Bulls in the Playoffs.

Should you hope your team finally makes the playoffs?

macc
01-12-2011, 02:18 PM

Haha that is funny. That reminds me of a UFC fight I watched where at the beginning of the round the guy put his hand up to high five the other guy and when the other guy put his hand up, the other guy punched him in the face..lol. It's cheap but smart.

PC
01-12-2011, 02:21 PM
I'm closing this thread, too much baiting going on