PDA

View Full Version : Whats the true definition of "clutch"?

nickdymez
01-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Because i keep reading different things. Some people seem to think its hitting a shot with 3 seconds on the clock (A buzzer beater). I think clutch is the last 5 minutes of a game, to either keep a lead or gain some ground make the game close. What do you guys think?

0nekhmer
01-11-2011, 05:51 PM
inb4kobehatethread

Gators123
01-11-2011, 05:51 PM
To grasp or hold with or as if with the hand or claws usually strongly, tightly, or suddenly.

nickdymez
01-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Oh ok..

ManRam
01-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Obviously, it's the ability to play well in clutch situations. 82games defines it as "4th quarter or overtime, less than 5 minutes left, neither team ahead by more than 5 points". That works for me, but of course, there are always different levels of "clutch" within that parameter (ie. playoffs vs. non-playoffs, contender vs. non contender opponent, etc).

I personally value a player who can produce during that time as a whole more than a person who just hits last second shots (the difference between Kobe and Horry...even though Kobe obviously does both, but Horry certainly just does the latter).

Kobe and LeBron have been the clear 1 and 2 the last 3 seasons, and probably longer. And the stats suggest it has been very close between the two. Hopefully when/if LeBron gets a ring, people will realize how the two are almost indistinguishable in clutch situations.

asandhu23
01-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Jerry West

Gators123
01-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Oh ok..

I was just messing around :)

I think ManRam nailed it.

miller74
01-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Joe Montana

Chacarron
Jerry West

Mr. Clutch

PhillyFaninLA
Clutch is doing what needs to be done to take momentum, get your teammates to step up, and do what needs to be done despite the odds or situation to win.

Rego247
01-11-2011, 06:04 PM
derek fisher.

DwayneMVPwade
01-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Making big plays at times when needed

Lakersfan2483
01-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Obviously, it's the ability to play well in clutch situations. 82games defines it as "4th quarter or overtime, less than 5 minutes left, neither team ahead by more than 5 points". That works for me, but of course, there are always different levels of "clutch" within that parameter (ie. playoffs vs. non-playoffs, contender vs. non contender opponent, etc).

I personally value a player who can produce during that time as a whole more than a person who just hits last second shots (the difference between Kobe and Horry...even though Kobe obviously does both, but Horry certainly just does the latter).

Kobe and LeBron have been the clear 1 and 2 the last 3 seasons, and probably longer. And the stats suggest it has been very close between the two. Hopefully when/if LeBron gets a ring, people will realize how the two are almost indistinguishable in clutch situations.

Well said.

tdunk21
01-11-2011, 06:15 PM

this

Aapox
01-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Clutch is doing what needs to be done to take momentum, get your teammates to step up, and do what needs to be done despite the odds or situation to win.

This is pretty good. I don't think clutch should necessarily be defined as at the end of a game but in key turning point situations. For example, if you're in a dry stretch and someone hits a big shot, I'd consider that clutch. Or if another team is going on like a 6-0 or 8-0 run and someone goes for a dunk but your team blocks it, that's a clutch block. Of course, the end of games will always be the most important clutch situations, but the relationship of being clutch and the momentum of a game should not be overlooked.

jon32
01-11-2011, 06:19 PM
The mechanical device which provides for the transmission of power (and therefore usually motion) from one component (the driving member) to another (the driven member).

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-11-2011, 06:41 PM
To grasp or hold with or as if with the hand or claws usually strongly, tightly, or suddenly.

:laugh:

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-11-2011, 06:41 PM
The mechanical device which provides for the transmission of power (and therefore usually motion) from one component (the driving member) to another (the driven member).

:laugh::laugh:

Raidaz4Life
01-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Clutch is simply making plays for your team when it is needed. Nothing more and nothing less.

Kashmir13579
01-11-2011, 06:47 PM
i feel like there is another one of these threads every couple weeks

but to answer the question, for the one millionth time, Gerry McNamara is the definition of clutch.

D Roses Bulls
01-11-2011, 06:51 PM
i feel like there is another one of these threads every couple weeks

but to answer the question, for the one millionth time, Gerry McNamara is the definition of clutch.

I agree, does seem like it. But if anyone wants to know what clutch is, just look at MJ.

NYKalltheway
01-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Ball is on fire, hands are cool as ice - you picture that on a game and you'll see a "clutch" player in action

Hustlenomics
01-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Michael Jordan

finalverse
01-11-2011, 07:01 PM
IMO there are 2 levels of clutchness. The first level is someone like Derrick Rose (yes I'm a Bulls fan so I'm going to use him as an example). Rose will get you a basket when you need it. He will create something out of nothing when you need it. He will drive by his guy or get that block (see vs Rondo) when you need it. He will help you win that game but might not be totally clutch where he hits the final game winning shot. He is level 1 clutchness.

Then you have the primetime clutch players. In this example I'll use Kobe and to a greater extent Jordan. These guys will get you last second game winning shots and do it continuously. They hit those buzzer beaters with 2 people on them fading away and don't even break a sweat. That is prime clutch.

mttwlsn16
01-11-2011, 07:03 PM
nickdymez im no laker fan but i love ur sig...f lebron and f the heat.

to answer the question, a lot can define clutch, keeping/gaining a lead within the last few minutes, hitting a winning shot w 5 sec left...theyre all clutch

basically kobe=clutch
lebron=not

ManRam
01-11-2011, 07:10 PM

to answer the question, a lot can define clutch, keeping/gaining a lead within the last few minutes, hitting a winning shot w 5 sec left...theyre all clutch

basically kobe=clutch
lebron=not

Why do you say so?

poleandreel
01-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Lebron 2 nights ago against the blazers

Lebron against the wizards in the playoffs

lebron buzzer beater against the magic

Lebron against the pistons to take his team to the finals

Lebron this whole year so far

D Roses Bulls
01-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Why do you say so?

well according to the site you used and I really hate using stats like these, kobe is number 1 and lebron is 13th

http://www.82games.com/1011/CSORT11.HTM

KingPosey
01-11-2011, 07:30 PM

i was gonna make this joke, but you beat me to it. Which i am thankful for, because, now I see it didnt work...

CHANGO
01-11-2011, 07:35 PM
well according to the site you used and I really hate using stats like these, kobe is number 1 and lebron is 13th

Look the +/- stats, the FG% and the FGA.

If kobe=clutch, what is Dirk? Or Lebron in this:
http://www.82games.com/gamewinningshots.htm

Hawkeye15
01-11-2011, 07:36 PM
quite honestly, there isn't one. Its one of the most misused statements in all of sports.

D Roses Bulls
01-11-2011, 07:37 PM

http://www.82games.com/gamewinningshots.htm

dude thats a two year old stat page, I'm using the most current one

knicks4life33
01-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Michael jordan

ManRam
01-11-2011, 07:43 PM

I meant more in terms of career-wise, not just the 40 or so games this year. And yes, obviously LeBron isn't going to score as much per 48 minutes as a lot of other guys because he now has Wade and Bosh to help him out. He hasn't been as clutch this year as in the past. His FG% are down a lot. He was phenomenal the other night though, and he'll get better.

LeBron, hate him or not, is not the one guy to use as an example as being not clutch; there are far better examples. That's why I asked. I also like when people say such bold things that they think about it and back it up.

CHANGO
01-11-2011, 07:44 PM
dude thats a two year old stat page, I'm using the most current one

I understand, but you are saying that this user(mttwlsn16)

Originally Posted by mttwlsn16 View Post

basically kobe=clutch
lebron=not
base his comment on this page

And you say that Kobe is first there

Originally Posted by D Roses Bulls View Post

so he is clutch, and Lebron not, but these old statistics (
Originally Posted by CHANGO View Post

http://www.82games.com/gamewinningshots.htm), it shows what they have done both, and clearly, Lebron is ahead, then why Lebron is not clutch?

DaBlurr34
01-11-2011, 07:45 PM
a pedal or lever that engages or disengages a rotating shaft and a driving mechanism

D Roses Bulls
01-11-2011, 07:47 PM
I meant more in terms of career-wise, not just the 40 or so games this year. And yes, obviously LeBron isn't going to score as much per 48 minutes as a lot of other guys because he now has Wade and Bosh to help him out. He hasn't been as clutch this year as in the past. His FG% are down a lot. He was phenomenal the other night though, and he'll get better.

LeBron, hate him or not, is not the one guy to use as an example as being not clutch; there are far better examples. That's why I asked. I also like when people say such bold things that they think about it and back it up.

actually it was last updated april of 2010, so they are taking the stats of all last year. so both lebron and kobe played in the 4th quarter or overtime, less than 5 minutes left, neither team ahead by more than 5 .

D Roses Bulls
01-11-2011, 07:48 PM
I understand, but you are saying that this user(mttwlsn16)
base his comment on this page

And you say that Kobe is first there

so he is clutch, and Lebron not, but these old statistics (), it shows what they have done both, and clearly, Lebron is ahead, then why Lebron is not clutch?

I never said lebron wasn't cluth, the other guy said, but no one in my mind is more clutch then kobe. you know that by just watching the games.

Avenged
01-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Everyone has their opinion on what clutch really means, so me personally I've always referred to it as the last 2 minutes of a game rather than 5 but that's just my opinion.

LakersA's49ers
01-11-2011, 07:52 PM
to hit the big shots and play amazing defense at crucal parts of the game

kobe24>lebron23
01-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Clutch=Kobe

Alright let me have it lol

krest213
01-11-2011, 07:58 PM
just look at manu ginobili
highlights
and you will get it.

Avenged
01-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Being clutch doesn't necessarily mean making plays.. Defense also comes into play, and making a shot as well.

Fisher is generally considered to be clutch, not because he makes plays [because he doesn't] more so because he makes clutch shots.

Trevor Ariza, when he was in the Lakers, in the playoffs had a handful of defensive clutch moments that most likely wouldn't have named the Lakers champions without them. There's a couple of circumstances and situations that goes into it, it just depends on what you value to be clutch or not.

ManRam
01-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Being clutch doesn't necessarily mean making plays.. Defense also comes into play, and making a shot as well.

Fisher is generally considered to be clutch, not because he makes plays [because he doesn't] more so because he makes clutch shots.

Trevor Ariza, when he was in the Lakers, in the playoffs had a handful of defensive clutch moments that most likely wouldn't have named the Lakers champions without them. There's a couple of circumstances and situations that goes into it, it just depends on what you value to be clutch or not.

Agreed. I'll steal this video from D Roses Bulls. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACZnF87Iy84&feature=related) Just as an example. The Ariza plays vs. my Magic in the Finals also show that, like I think you were alluding to.

If Smush doesn't steal that ball, Kobe can't make the shot. They have to both be considered clutch...perhaps equally clutch. That was a huge play from Smush...and I'd call it clutch. Then, in overtime, which the first video doesn't even show, so here's another one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TE3tUy6UMY)...Walton forces a jump ball on Steve Nash. Again, without that, there is no game winning shot from Kobe. Clutch can be on both sides of the ball, and like most every other argument, defense is left out more often than it should be.

Evolution23
01-11-2011, 08:16 PM
LEbron, Kobe, Wade, Stat, Melo, Pierce, Ray Allen, Red Rocket :)

gfixer33
01-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Kobe mj larry bird even gil arenas more clutch than lebron

Hawkeye15
01-11-2011, 10:16 PM
I see most posters list players they feel are clutch. But there are few definitions of what clutch is. I honestly don't think there is one.

ChiSox219
01-11-2011, 10:17 PM
I see most posters list players they feel are clutch. But there are few definitions of what clutch is. I honestly don't think there is one.

A player who performs at or above his career efficiency in high pressure situations.