PDA

View Full Version : Should Heat eye Greg Oden this summer?

SNYmets86
01-10-2011, 09:50 PM
Questions over the Heat's center position resurfaced during Miami's hard-fought win over the Portland Trail Blazers. And interestingly enough, Portland employs a center who could become Miami's long-term answer:

Greg Oden can become a free agent this summer.

Should the Heat pursue the former No. 1 overall pick to bolster their front line?

Itís a complicated question with layers upon layers of uncertainty. But itís an intriguing proposition, nonetheless -- especially given that the Heat chose to play LeBron James at the 5 in Sunday nightís battle against Portland more than any member of their center rotation.

Why? Before going under the knife last season, Oden quickly established himself as one of the leagueís best centers. He was an absolute monster on the boards, collecting 12.8 rebounds every 36 minutes during his 21-game campaign. The former Buckeye was also a fantastic finisher around the basket; his 60.5 percent field goal percentage ranked among the leagueís best and his capabilities as a free throw shooter make hackathons a fruitless strategy. Odenís offensive game reminds us that dunking continues to be a really effective way to score the rock.

Defensively, he has some work to do. Heís an able ball-swatter who, like many young shot-blockers, is prone to foul trouble, as his 3.4 blocks and 6.0 fouls per 36 minutes suggest. His lateral mobility isnít up to par in a league that demands agility from big men to defend the pick-and-roll. But still, heís one of the best at altering opponent shots and anchoring the paint.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoopmiamiheat/post/_/id/3373/should-heat-eye-greg-oden-this-summer

210Don
01-10-2011, 09:52 PM
can we finish this season please?

goblazers7
01-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Portland is goin to sign him. There is a shortage of quality bigman in this league

kjoke
01-10-2011, 09:59 PM
better options for big men imo for the heat

Silent
01-10-2011, 10:02 PM
better options for big men imo for the heat

who that u can afford?

nickdymez
01-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Portland is goin to sign him. There is a shortage of quality bigman in this league

Yea and he counts as one of them because he never plays

Bluffmasta
01-10-2011, 10:12 PM
better question is should the heat eye carmelo anthony this summer LOL sign him to a one year deal for the mle then resign him to a multiyear afterwards allowing him to join the draft class.

to be serious i think they going to stick with the Anthony they have at center and maybe look for a legit pg maybe someone like billups who can mentor chalmers for two years or less and then retire allowing him to run the team.

mark1125
01-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Heat forum?

xxcubs22xx
01-10-2011, 10:14 PM
:facepalm:

The question is:

Should anybody eye Greg Oden this summer?

benzni
01-10-2011, 10:18 PM
why are knicks fans all over the heat. This has to be the 3rd thread about the heat started by a knicks fan. Man they must love lebron. They are following him everywhere he goes

Cano4prez
01-10-2011, 10:19 PM

The question is:

Haha

nickdymez
01-10-2011, 10:19 PM
^^^Knowing Lebron, he might find some way to quit on the heat and go to the knicks.. You never know.. Actually, you do...

Swashcuff
01-10-2011, 10:23 PM

The question is:

EVERYONE should eye Greg Oden this summer. Name one C this off season who a higher ceiling and could be had for as cheaply as Oden could.

Oden has the potential to be one of only 3 defensive stalwarts are centers in the NBA. Teams are going to be all over him.

xxcubs22xx
01-10-2011, 10:23 PM
^^^Knowing Lebron, he might find some way to quit on the heat and go to the knicks.. You never know.. Actually, you do...

cough-quitness-cough

Anyways. Hey the Heat can go for it, idc, just seems like too much of a gamble to me. Idk.

thekmp211
01-10-2011, 10:24 PM
miami would make sense, because there would be no regular season pressure on oden. he could focus on rehabbing for the playoffs.

doubt it would happen though.

nickdymez
01-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Anyway.. He aint going to Miami..

MrfadeawayJB
01-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Oden in miami would be a perfect fit for him, just give 20-25 min and let the big 3 do the rest....i heard that miami might go after Tyson Chandler and sign him to MLE, anyone hear about that?

HouRealCoach
01-10-2011, 10:36 PM
I think they should eye Samuel Dalembert first but Oden wouldnt hurt but if they go after Oden they could maybe get Yao also

Swashcuff
01-10-2011, 10:37 PM
I think they should eye Samuel Dalembert first but Oden wouldnt hurt but if they go after Oden they could maybe get Yao also

Horrible BBIQ not a good choice but in the grand scheme of things won't be the worst thing in the world. His athleticism would be major plus.

dwadefan03
01-10-2011, 10:47 PM
i hope so, he would be a great addition. However there are a lot of quality free agent big men next year so they make take a safer, more reliable route

SNYmets86
01-10-2011, 10:57 PM
why are knicks fans all over the heat. This has to be the 3rd thread about the heat started by a knicks fan. Man they must love lebron. They are following him everywhere he goes

if it was a heat article talkin only about lebron , bosh , or wade i would of not even make a thread about it . but seeing it had oden on it i just posted it .

Swashcuff
01-10-2011, 10:57 PM
i hope so, he would be a great addition. However there are a lot of quality free agent big men next year so they make take a safer, more reliable route

If the Heat fail to win a ship the post season you could bet your bottom dollar that he'd be target #1 on that list of big men.

Tyson Chandler, Samuel Dalembert, Nazr Mohammed, DeAndre Jordan and Joel Przybilla are the other good FA Cs this coming off season who may be in the Heat's spending bracket. None of whom provides as much possible upside as Oden.

dwadefan03
01-10-2011, 11:04 PM
^ yea but they may not be looking for upside, maybe they just want someone that can man the spot reliably come playoff time

justinnum1
01-10-2011, 11:08 PM

keep dreaming

Swashcuff
01-10-2011, 11:09 PM
^ yea but they may not be looking for upside, maybe they just want someone that can man the spot reliably come playoff time

Point taken.

daleja424
01-10-2011, 11:09 PM
list should go:

Chandler
Jordan
Dalembert
Oden

as FA targets for Miami...

RCarlson85
01-10-2011, 11:14 PM
The real question is will Oden ever be healthy? I don't think so. I wouldn't want the Heat to waste money on him unless he came really cheap. He won't be that cheap though, so I say no to him on the Heat.

richiesaurus310
01-10-2011, 11:15 PM
They can't waste whatever cap they have or their MLE on him.

D Roses Bulls
01-10-2011, 11:19 PM
EVERYONE should eye Greg Oden this summer. Name one C this off season who a higher ceiling and could be had for as cheaply as Oden could.

Oden has the potential to be one of only 3 defensive stalwarts are centers in the NBA. Teams are going to be all over him.

thats what they said 3 years ago. he obviously has a knee problem, he is not worth the risk of giving a long term contract to

Geargo Wallace
01-10-2011, 11:22 PM
The Heat should eye Oden the way Donald Sterling eyes shlongs in the Clippers' team showers.

Chronz
01-10-2011, 11:23 PM
Ignoring the ignorance in this thread, yes they should throw the full MLE at him, if it still exists

Chronz
01-10-2011, 11:25 PM
thats what they said 3 years ago. he obviously has a knee problem, he is not worth the risk of giving a long term contract to

Uhh 3 years ago they passed on this guy by the name of Kevin Durant, so someone is going to take the risk. High Risk High Reward

Swashcuff
01-10-2011, 11:26 PM

I am just saying that if he can be had for a short term contract its a gamble that most GMs would be willing to take. The brief period time in which he sustained any form of health during his NBA career his impact was undeniable. I don't think it's a bad gamble to take.

I know it doesn't make sense giving him a long term contract but if there is a possibility that he can be had for a short/cheap deal I think damn near every team will be giving his agent a call. Unlikely however.

idrinkpepsi
01-10-2011, 11:46 PM
Heat Forum
:mad:

D Roses Bulls
01-10-2011, 11:51 PM
Uhh 3 years ago they passed on this guy by the name of Kevin Durant, so someone is going to take the risk. High Risk High Reward

Yes, I know that. even before he had knee problems, I saw him in the tournament and knew he was over hyped and that with his knee problems, I don't think its worth it. I mean if its a one year deal, okay, but dont give the guy a 2-3 year deal. waste of cap right there. and by the way, the blazers drafted more for the need of a center like they did when they took bowie over MJ.

thekmp211
01-11-2011, 01:00 AM
Ignoring the ignorance in this thread, yes they should throw the full MLE at him, if it still exists

i'd rather take a chance on oden than pay that money to a guy like, oh, brendan heywood. especially if you're the heat.

Chronz
01-11-2011, 01:29 AM
Yes, I know that. even before he had knee problems, I saw him in the tournament and knew he was over hyped and that with his knee problems, I don't think its worth it. I mean if its a one year deal, okay, but dont give the guy a 2-3 year deal. waste of cap right there. and by the way, the blazers drafted more for the need of a center like they did when they took bowie over MJ.
The point remains nothings changed except that hes proven what he could do in the NBA now, hes always been questionable health wise, but now that hes proven hes an elite center, there will be far more interest in him than a simple 1 year deal.

Yanks All Day
01-11-2011, 01:40 AM
Everyone should eye Greg Oden this summer. He will come rather cheap but have an insanely high ceiling. When he was healthy, which wasn't much, he was an absolute beast. Maybe a change of scenery and trainers can keep him on the court. If he does get healthy, watch out NBA. He is legit.

TopsyTurvy
01-11-2011, 01:42 AM
Abosultely, though I doubt he will be a mid-level player. His offer sheet will be pretty high.

THINKBLUE15
01-11-2011, 01:44 AM
WHy the **** isn't this in the Heat forum? Like...seriously. Damn.

Chronz
01-11-2011, 01:55 AM
Abosultely, though I doubt he will be a mid-level player. His offer sheet will be pretty high.
He can either take the high one year offer Portland can extend, or take a long term deal. MLE will be the bar watch

ChiSox219
01-11-2011, 03:05 AM
He can either take the high one year offer Portland can extend, or take a long term deal. MLE will be the bar watch

I imagine Portland would make the QO and then match whatever offer he receives. They'd have to be happy getting him for the MLE.

beasted86
01-11-2011, 03:07 AM
Portland will tender him his $8M qualifying offer, which is above the mid-level.

Heat can't get him if they wanted him... and I don't want him BTW. Samuel Dalembert is the safer option, and he's been an iron man who doesn't get injured.

AIRMAR72
01-11-2011, 03:47 AM
another sam bowie he would have to play a full season to convince me

MTar786
01-11-2011, 06:38 AM
that would be a really smart move with tons of up side

Gambeezy
01-11-2011, 01:17 PM

At this point, if he's offered a multi-year deal, it'll be at the mid-level. I doubt anyone would give him 7 mil+/yr on a multi-year deal. His qualifying offer is $8 mil which will probably get picked up, but if he can't stay healthy next season, he's mid-level.