PDA

View Full Version : Looking back at the Pau Gasol trade

hovyboo
01-10-2011, 09:06 PM
I recognize there is a conception held that the Lakers bedazzled the Grizzlies in that Pau Gasol trade. Kwame is a bum and Critterton almost got shot... I recognize it was a salary dump but Pau's younger bro is looking really good.

I know Pau is better but with the way Marc has been playing is the trade still as one-sided as people make it seem?

Not to mention had they not done this trade Rudy Gay wouldnt have developed the way he did and they may not have been in draft position to take OJ Mayo..

Long story short... Is the Pau Gasol trade as one-sided as ESPN will tell us it is

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-10-2011, 09:08 PM
It was a highway robbery for sure

Giraffes Rule
01-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Regardless of how Marc Gasol is playing now, the trade was awful at the time.

hovyboo
01-10-2011, 09:10 PM
I know it was lopsided... but there have been more one-sided trade... a lot more

Sixerlover
01-10-2011, 09:29 PM
The Lakers still pecker slapped the Grizzlies and ran out of the room. Marc Gasol is good, but the Grizz gift wrapped two titles for the Lakers, because they traded a top 5 big man for 0 talent that was on that Lakers squad. They were a middle of the playoffs type team that got a top 5 big man for free.

Think how bad it would be if the Clippers handed Blake Griffin to the Thunder for a player that will be pretty good 3 years from now... Yeah..

hovyboo
01-10-2011, 09:31 PM
not sure why they moved this to KNICKS forum... no mention of knicks

AddiX
01-10-2011, 09:50 PM
Lakers been to the finals 3 times since than. Good job Memphis.

nickdymez
01-10-2011, 10:06 PM
It was one sidded at the time. Now its a little better.. Lakers still obviously got the better. But sometimes i kinda wish we had marc instead of pau.

mzgrizz
01-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Definitely FedEx'd gift wrapped on time delivery to the Lakers

Bruno
01-10-2011, 10:11 PM
People who are still pissed off about this trade are probably also completely ignorant to the history of trades regarding super-stars throughout the history of the league.

If you wana see a lop-sided trade google "Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, 1975, Lakers, traded".

Avenged
01-10-2011, 10:47 PM
It was a robbery, simple as that.

At that time, hardly anyone knew who Marc was other than "Pau's brother". Sure, he's playing well now, but Memphis had no idea of knowing he'd turn into the player he has turned into. Even without looking at what that trade did for the Lakers (championships) it's still a robbery.

Joshtd1
01-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Yes.

Crittenon = bum, Kwame is probably a backup at best (even though he was an expiring..which still didnt do much for them IMO, form what I remember) and Gasol is a good player. He isnt close to his brother though.

Hellcrooner
01-10-2011, 11:18 PM
People who are still pissed off about this trade are probably also completely ignorant to the history of trades regarding super-stars throughout the history of the league.

If you wana see a lop-sided trade google "Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, 1975, Lakers, traded".

ˇ? you mean the trade that gave the bucks two players that have their number retired for the franchiseż?

Id point to Fat chuck to suns as a really lopsided trade.

Bruno
01-10-2011, 11:23 PM
It was a robbery, simple as that.

At that time, hardly anyone knew who Marc was other than "Pau's brother". Sure, he's playing well now, but Memphis had no idea of knowing he'd turn into the player he has turned into. Even without looking at what that trade did for the Lakers (championships) it's still a robbery.

Okay, but I've seen dozens of posters say "It has resulted in three straight finals appearances, nuff-said". If it gets gauged by the results rather than the in-coming and out-going talent at the time, then we should recognize that Marc has turned into a pretty damn good player. He finished last season with the 3rd highest TS% in the league.

Being a GM is about having vision and making the right bets on who will turn out good a few years down the road. Pau has been great, but he's already 30. How much longer will he be elite for with his 7'0 frame?

In Paus last full year with the Grizz they finished 22-60. Last season the Grizz finished 40-42. It's easy to over look the cap flexibility the Grizzlies received, and the options it has given them over the past few years.

Bruno
01-10-2011, 11:30 PM
ˇ? you mean the trade that gave the bucks two players that have their number retired for the franchiseż?

Id point to Fat chuck to suns as a really lopsided trade.

Regarding the Bucks retiring Junior Bridgemans number, touche Crooner. But lets remember we're talking about the Bucks, and that Bridgeman was a 6th man for almost his entire career; it's not like with the Lakers how they only retire HOFers numbers.

I don't mean to disrespect Smith or Winters either, both made an all-star team or two. But were talkin' about KAJ, arguably the greatest player of all time.

Good call.

310Casper
01-10-2011, 11:41 PM
Highway Robbery, yes.

Great Lakers GM, yes.

If you wanna cry about it, blame it on your gm for not getting a killer deal on Pao.

SB1
01-10-2011, 11:45 PM
It was a highway robbery for sure

Agreed!

Giantwarrior
01-10-2011, 11:56 PM
i believe the lakers gave up two or three 1st round picks as well.

Dol-Fan
01-11-2011, 12:07 AM
To say that the Grizz had no idea that Marc would turn into the player he has is asinine. Just because you haven't watched every single game he's ever played, including overseas, doesn't mean that Memphis scouts hadn't seen what he could do before he came to the NBA.

Giantwarrior
01-11-2011, 12:09 AM
who cares about the trade, i cant believe you guys still care after all these years.

iggypop123
01-11-2011, 12:36 AM
bad trade at the time today its decent. sort of like the shaq trade. lakers looked like crap, instead they turned it into odom, farmar, gasol

el_primo_nano
01-12-2011, 11:56 PM
two words. highway robbery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYFNhjVWQKk
best describes it