PDA

View Full Version : Where's the Love for Derrick Favors?

topdog
01-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Derrick Favors is a 6'10" 250lb freakishly athletic power forward. Only 19 years old. Great kid who wants to learn and get better. And has drawn comparisons to Amare and Dwight.

Yet...

-The fastbreaking 76ers pass up on the athletic big they need to fill out a roster full of non-shooting wings with Evan Turner.

-New Jersey reluctantly picks him at #3 and is fielding trade offers for him almost immediately, while also needing a PF.

-Now, Favors has played the whole season essentially as Denver trade bait but isn't nearly enough for a deal that seems to be destined to include star PG Devin Harris and at least 2 1st round picks.

My question is why is there so little love for Derrick Favors? He's a project yes, but what athletic big man isn't (besides Blake Griffin)? Theoretically, the Nets could keep him, get another high draft pick this year and draft a notable SF and be 4/5ths of the way to a potential-packed starting line-up but they'd rather trade everyone but Brook for Melo and mediocrity. WHY?!

lkingratedr
01-10-2011, 04:58 PM
the new jersey nets want to be relevant in the basketball word so badly right now there willing to give up their future for the right now ... its sad but true... id honestly take derrick favors on the knicks or the thunder and im sure denver would have loved to take him if they didnt have to give up melo or billups

210Don
01-10-2011, 05:03 PM
give him to the spurs

Swashcuff
01-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Derrick Favors is a 6'10" 250lb freakishly athletic power forward. Only 19 years old. Great kid who wants to learn and get better. And has drawn comparisons to Amare and Dwight.

Yet...

-The fastbreaking 76ers pass up on the athletic big they need to fill out a roster full of non-shooting wings with Evan Turner.

-New Jersey reluctantly picks him at #3 and is fielding trade offers for him almost immediately, while also needing a PF.

-Now, Favors has played the whole season essentially as Denver trade bait but isn't nearly enough for a deal that seems to be destined to include star PG Devin Harris and at least 2 1st round picks.

My question is why is there so little love for Derrick Favors? He's a project yes, but what athletic big man isn't (besides Blake Griffin)? Theoretically, the Nets could keep him, get another high draft pick this year and draft a notable SF and be 4/5ths of the way to a potential-packed starting line-up but they'd rather trade everyone but Brook for Melo and mediocrity. WHY?!

Right there is where I stopped taking this post seriously.

The only comparison with Favors to Howard was size and athleticism. He has also drawn comparisons to Stromile Swift.

Here was an interesting article on him

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2010/12/31/favors-nba-start-in-line-with-past-phenoms/

Sactown
01-10-2011, 05:12 PM
Shoulda drafted the better cousins

Malz28
01-10-2011, 05:19 PM
Why is New Jersey giving up so much to get Carmelo? He is a very good player, but not great. He doesn't play good defense and lacks hustle at times. Just think it's a very stupid move on their part.

Atownballa5
01-10-2011, 05:21 PM
derrick favors is the future, i have faith in the kid

arkanian215
01-10-2011, 05:23 PM
I got a lot of love for the kid.

Robbw241
01-10-2011, 05:24 PM
He's 3-5 years away from being anything close to a finished product.

arkanian215
01-10-2011, 05:25 PM
derrick favors is the future, i have faith in the kid

Shoulda drafted the better cousins

And have the slowest front court in the history of basketball? To have Avery and Cousins clash and ship him out at lower than market rate because of his personality?

bahama0811
01-10-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm ready for Favors in Denver!

Giaps
01-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Nets are better off keeping him than trading for Melo simply because the price is so high. Favors, Harris, Murphy, 2 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder to Detroit?

The team is young. Use your picks and draft well or package them and trade up and let the team grow. Prokhorov won't build the right way because he wants to make a splash for Brooklyn and if the deal goes through, I honestly think it will cost them in the long run.

Knicks21
01-10-2011, 05:35 PM
He is young. Personally i think nets should keep him. So much potential, hes got the body, hes got the size. And he is only 19. In 5 years time, the option to keep him would be better than having melo.

Sactown
01-10-2011, 05:48 PM
And have the slowest front court in the history of basketball? To have Avery and Cousins clash and ship him out at lower than market rate because of his personality?

21 points 9 rebounds per game in the last 6 games :rolleyes:

gilly
01-10-2011, 05:56 PM
The Nuggs need to do this trade. Harris, Afflalo, (the player they draft with the Nets pick, Jones or Barnes?), Favors and Nene will be an awesome young line up.

arkanian215
01-10-2011, 06:03 PM
21 points 9 rebounds per game in the last 6 games :rolleyes:

What does that have to do with what I said?

Swashcuff
01-10-2011, 06:13 PM

That is what certain posters do when they have been trumped and have nothing worthwhile to say dude.

D2theJ
01-10-2011, 06:35 PM
He has potential but potential won't buy fans. They need the big names for Brooklyn, and the surprising play of Kris Humphries has made it easier for the Nets to let go of Favors.

Giaps
01-10-2011, 06:44 PM
He has potential but potential won't buy fans. They need the big names for Brooklyn, and the surprising play of Kris Humphries has made it easier for the Nets to let go of Favors.
This is as good as Kris Humphries is going to get. In 2 years Favors could be much better than Humpries is now and just in time for Brooklyn.

Thegame187
01-10-2011, 06:49 PM

U see the numbers, deal with it

D2theJ
01-10-2011, 06:55 PM
This is as good as Kris Humphries is going to get. In 2 years Favors could be much better than Humpries is now and just in time for Brooklyn.

I agree. But the bottom line is Anthony is already the proven superstar and scorer the Nets need. And in 2 years the Nets could be regretting this trade, but at the same time they are giving up 1 proven star in Harris and getting back 3. If the Nets are able to get Chris Paul and put him along side Carmelo and Lopez then a guy like Humphries can be perfect at Power Forward.