PDA

View Full Version : Denver's being too greedy, does anybody really think Carmelo will sign with NJ?

NYSpirit1
01-10-2011, 02:21 PM
According to Chris Broussard's twitter this morning, Denver is holding up the deal to try to get the Nets to take on Al Harrington.

Not only are they getting the Nets to take on Billups, they want to get rid of Harrington too, get a massive amount of draft picks, Favors and Harris.

It's ridiculous to think that Denver has this kind of leverage, because does anybody really think Carmelo is going to sign with the 10-27 Nets, who don't have that much of a promising future outside Brooklyn (which is actually only 15 minutes from where they are now in Newark)? Do people think Carmelo will think teaming with two over-the-hill vets in Billups and Hamilton and a big man who can't rebound in Brook Lopez is a formula for a championship?

Maybe for a 41-41 team.

There's no way Melo is going to sign off on this trade and as he was asked last night, he didn't think it was going to happen anytime soon, meaning, he's not signing the extension.

d00d
01-10-2011, 02:22 PM
if anyone is to be raped in this deal, it would be the Nets, the sorriest franchise in the NBA. They need Melo more than anything. I can see it happening

daleja424
01-10-2011, 02:23 PM
I agree... that seems to be Denver's tactic though...

They spend days working out a deal...then right at the end...they make a new demand... then the other team bends...then Denver makes another demand...and eventually the deal falls apart and Denver says something innocent like "we aren't going to give him away for nothing." In reality though, Denver doesn't want to trade him and most of this negotiating is starting to feel like just show.

SteBO
01-10-2011, 02:29 PM
I agree... that seems to be Denver's tactic though...

They spend days working out a deal...then right at the end...they make a new demand... then the other team bends...then Denver makes another demand...and eventually the deal falls apart and Denver says something innocent like "we aren't going to give him away for nothing." In reality though, Denver doesn't want to trade him and most of this negotiating is starting to feel like just show.
Couldn't have said it better myself, daleja. It continues to look like Ujiri's going to do whatever it takes to f up this deal. They need quit while they're ahead and get this deal done.

AddiX
01-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Nets aren't getting raped, they need Melo more than anything. Brooklyn will not show up for the Roster they have now.

And Denver isn't being greedy, they have this one opportunity to fix this mess, they need to stretch it for all its worth. The nets are in the same position are the Knicks were last year with the T-Mac trade. We know were getting screwed but at the time, we had no choice.

Only a matter of time before Detroit tries to dump more of its useless roster too. And if I'm Denver I have to get Harrington out. Who in there right mind can't figure out why they gave him that deal.

Da Knicks
01-10-2011, 02:38 PM
Denver is asking for too much...

Young and Stupid
01-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Denver is asking for too much...

Disagree. You're only asking for too much if the other party won't give up what you're asking for. The Nets will give up and/or take whatever the Nuggets want them to, as a result the Nuggets are not greedy, but shrewd.

nystandup
01-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Disagree. You're only asking for too much if the other party won't give up what you're asking for. The Nets will give up and/or take whatever the Nuggets want them to, as a result the Nuggets are not greedy, but shrewd.

That's only because its the nets and they reek of desperation.

John Walls Era
01-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Grammar Police: Title is written poorly... comma doesn't need to be used since the 2nd statement isn't being led by the 1st statement (You went from Denver being greedy to Carmelo signing with Nets).

Melo probably knows about it. I think the Nuggets made it known that they will walk through the trade process with him. No way Nuggets try this hard to get picks and then Melo says "no".

John Walls Era
01-10-2011, 02:56 PM
IMO Nets should stay firm. Nuggets have to trade Melo eventually. Only 2 teams imo that Melo will go to: Knicks and Nets. Knicks are committing to Wilson Chandler; Nets therefore get Melo eventually (even in FA, Melo isn't going to any scrub team).

benzni
01-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Grammar Police: Title is written poorly... comma doesn't need to be used since the 2nd statement isn't being led by the 1st statement (You went from Denver being greedy to Carmelo signing with Nets).

Melo probably knows about it. I think the Nuggets made it known that they will walk through the trade process with him. No way Nuggets try this hard to get picks and then Melo says "no".

i love you no homo for that comment lol

nystandup
01-10-2011, 02:58 PM

Denver could just be doing their due dilligence. If Melo says no then the Nuggets front office can show their fans that they tried. I find it funny that the Nuggets keep stalling and asking for more. It leads me to believe that melo isnt happy with what the nets team would be looking like.

John Walls Era
01-10-2011, 03:01 PM
i love you no homo for that comment lol

:)

Denver could just be doing their due dilligence. If Melo says no then the Nuggets front office can show their fans that they tried. I find it funny that the Nuggets keep stalling and asking for more. It leads me to believe that melo isnt happy with what the nets team would be looking like.

Melo wouldn't like a team with Billups, Rip, Melo, Kris Humphris and B. Lopez. I mean their PFs and Cs aren't anything amazing, but good enough for now.

Young and Stupid
01-10-2011, 03:03 PM
I find it funny that the Nuggets keep stalling and asking for more.

It leads me to believe that melo isnt happy with what the nets team would be looking like.

Please explain the correlation between the two above statements, I'm sure everyone would like to know. That is, aside from you being a Knicks fan.

Game_Over
01-10-2011, 03:05 PM
Hahaha Knicks fans are all bent because they "knew" Melo was going there and now that he isn't, Denver's greedy and the Nets are desperate lol.. This is funny seeing the whining from Knicks fans, I guess its Karma for harassing Nuggets forums for months and months now!!

RZZZA
01-10-2011, 03:07 PM
as a bulls fan, I can say that Melo going to the Nets seems to be in our best interests.

There was never any realistic scenario on the table where Melo would come to Chicago, and him going to the Knicks would threaten us, but out of all the teams mentioned him being a Net seems like the least-scary conclusion from our stand point imo.

Ty Fast
01-10-2011, 03:07 PM
if anyone is to be raped in this deal, it would be the Nets, the sorriest franchise in the NBA. They need Melo more than anything. I can see it happening

that title belongs to the clippers

Young and Stupid
01-10-2011, 03:08 PM
as a bulls fan, I can say that Melo going to the Nets seems to be in our best interests.

There was never any realistic scenario on the table where Melo would come to Chicago, and him going to the Knicks would threaten us, but out of all the teams mentioned him being a Net seems like the least-scary conclusion from our stand point imo.

Even if Carmelo going to Newark could be followed -- not too far after -- by CP3 taking his talents to Brooklyn? We'll see.

NYsFinest
01-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Even if Carmelo going to Newark could be followed -- not too far after -- by CP3 taking his talents to Brooklyn? We'll see.

Good luck with melo making 22 mil, hamilton making 13, harrington making 9 and Lopez due for a big extension...

nystandup
01-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Please explain the correlation between the two above statements, I'm sure everyone would like to know. That is, aside from you being a Knicks fan.

You truly believe that the Nuggets front office and melo aren't in communication over this deal?

IMO Denver already is being offered enough for Melo in return, but they keep stalling and asking for more. Ever since the beginning the deal has been contingent on melo agreeing to sign the extension with the dirty jers. So far it doesnt seem like he has. So im thinking that the reason he might not have said yes to an extension is because he isnt happy with how the nets team will look. Theres your correlation, your welcome

AddiX
01-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Hahaha Knicks fans are all bent because they "knew" Melo was going there and now that he isn't, Denver's greedy and the Nets are desperate lol.. This is funny seeing the whining from Knicks fans, I guess its Karma for harassing Nuggets forums for months and months now!!

I didn't realize the deal was done.

omdigga
01-10-2011, 03:18 PM
denver has to milk everything they can get for melo.. the nets need him badly.. and if billups and rip can keep them competitive until the move to brooklyn, then they restock with cp3 or deron... there would be a scary new team in the east...

nystandup
01-10-2011, 03:19 PM

Our team is good with or without Melo. Nothing to be bent about. We will just focus on getting a Center and back up pg if Melo is gone

Young and Stupid
01-10-2011, 03:23 PM
You truly believe that the Nuggets front office and melo aren't in communication over this deal?

IMO Denver already is being offered enough for Melo in return, but they keep stalling and asking for more. Ever since the beginning the deal has been contingent on melo agreeing to sign the extension with the dirty jers. So far it doesnt seem like he has. So im thinking that the reason he might not have said yes to an extension is because he isnt happy with how the nets team will look. Theres your correlation, your welcome

Once again, I understood what you were attempting to articulate, but the connection was without merit. If -- as you argued -- the deal is contingent on Anthony's satisfaction with the Nets roster wouldn't it beg the question: if that's the case, why would Melo be in favor of the Nuggets gutting the Nets roster even more?

latinofire21
01-10-2011, 03:27 PM
The deal with the Nets isnt finalized. I think the reason why NYstandup said he doesnt think melo is happy with the team he is traded to is a pretty good hypothesis. Adding players melo wanted to play with in Denver over to NJ would make sense if he has constantly been saying no to signing with NJ. His hypothesis helps with brining the Pistons in as well to make the team more attractive for Melo.

I still dont think this deal gets done because in the end its going against everything the "sources" have been saying in regards to Melo's stance.

Doesnt want a gutted team for him and wants to look at his options at the end of the season. Which means he would only accept a trade if the team was still intact with solid pieces or else he would just sign with them free and clear.

Nets are trading away future pics and key pieces to their team for him and in essence creating a whole new team for Melo. I dont see this deal happening. If it does then NJ did a good job of due dilligence.

In the end I think Melo doesnt get traded and they lose him for nothing in the off season because the Nuggets Gm is trying to flex too much muscle.

commonsense12
01-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Nets are desperate and Denver knows this. No one would give close to what the Nets are prepared to give. Denver knows this and they are going to try and get as much as possible, its not greed its being smart. Not their fault the Nets are ready to trade anything to get him.

Thing is does he sign the extention?

AddiX
01-10-2011, 03:33 PM
What I don't get is why is Den so hell bent on getting draft picks?

Most draft picks don't last in the NBA and unless your getting a guaranteed top 5 pick who knows what your going to get? This isn't the NFL where draft picks are worth so much.

I'm not saying its a bad move, it's just not normal for nba standards. How many teams really build a good team primarily through the draft?

latinofire21
01-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Knicks Perspective:

There is no rush in getting Carmelo. If he wants to come here and he sees how good we are doing he will wait till the off season to sign. If he is chasing the money and wants a max deal then he will probably land in NJ.

I actually like the other ideas better then commiting the rest of the cap space to melo. Gasol and Mayo sound good to me if that deal can really happen. I wouldnt balk at getting Melo obviously but if it means gutting the knicks roster when they can easily get him in the offseason. HELL NO

mrblisterdundee
01-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Even though Chauncy Billups will seek a buy-out, I don't think the Nuggets are greedy:

1) The Nets won't agree to the trade unless Carmello signs the extension.
2) Carmello can lead the league in scoring, for the Nuggets or the Nets. Last time I checked, scoring is fairly important.
3) Brook Lopez isn't overrated. He's one of the best true centers in the league and will average at least 20 points and 10 rebounds in the near future.
4) Detroit already refuses to give up another first round draft pick and/or accept Johan Petro. The Nets and Nuggets are already searching for a fourth team to take Petro.

latinofire21
01-10-2011, 03:53 PM

We already beat you twice isnt that a big enough threat?

oak2455
01-10-2011, 03:53 PM

what time is the press conference:confused:

latinofire21
01-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Even though Chauncy Billups will seek a buy-out, I don't think the Nuggets are greedy:

2) Carmello can lead the league in scoring, for the Nuggets or the Nets. Last time I checked, scoring is fairly important.
3) Brook Lopez isn't overrated. He's one of the best true centers in the league and will average at least 20 points and 10 rebounds in the near future.
4) Detroit already refuses to give up another first round draft pick and/or accept Johan Petro. The Nets and Nuggets are already searching for a fourth team to take Petro.

I like this guy. Hes a smart one. I like Brook but Carmelo will be working double time to get the wins with the nets that hes currently getting with the nuggets. If the Nuggets arent good enough for him why would he go to the nets?

White_Mike
01-10-2011, 04:15 PM

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Giaps
01-10-2011, 04:31 PM

Landry Fields, 6'7, 7.4 rpg
Brook Lopez, 7'0, 5.9 rpg

lulz

NewYorkJets21
01-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Landry Fields, 6'7, 7.4 rpg
Brook Lopez, 7'0, 5.9 rpg

lulz

Landry Fields, Clown
Brook Lopez, BEAST

abe_froman
01-10-2011, 04:39 PM
What I don't get is why is Den so hell bent on getting draft picks?

Most draft picks don't last in the NBA and unless your getting a guaranteed top 5 pick who knows what your going to get? This isn't the NFL where draft picks are worth so much.

I'm not saying its a bad move, it's just not normal for nba standards. How many teams really build a good team primarily through the draft?

quite a few of them actually.okc,mem,sa,minny,portland to name a few

its completely normal for nba standards.if your trading your franchise player then the only real move to do next is to go young and slash payroll.picks allow you to do that.while you wont be getting any franchise guys with those picks you can get really good nuggets late to supplement the top 5 pick your sure to get from sucking on your own.

VinceCarter
01-10-2011, 04:41 PM

:laugh2:

Wyatt7
01-10-2011, 04:49 PM
So wait would be the line up???

Mr.Big Shot
RIP
Melo
Harrington (if he goes...)
Brook?

Giaps
01-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Landry Fields, Clown
Brook Lopez, BEAST
Wow, great analysis! Do you work for ESPN??

Giaps
01-10-2011, 04:53 PM
The Nets are 22-98 in their last 120 games. If Melo agrees to go there it's not cuz he wants to win :rolleyes:

VinceCarter
01-10-2011, 04:54 PM
So wait would be the line up???

Mr.Big Shot
RIP
Melo
Harrington (if he goes...)
Brook?

I'd start Humphries.

VinceCarter
01-10-2011, 04:56 PM
The Nets are 22-98 in their last 120 games. If Melo agrees to go there it's not cuz he wants to win :rolleyes:

I bolded the keyword for you :facepalm:

Let me use that analysis for the Knicks.

If Amare goes to the Knicks it isn't to win games.....they haven't made the playoffs for YEARS.

See.......that doesn't work.

Mudvayne91
01-10-2011, 04:57 PM

Haha. Amen.

ball4reel
01-10-2011, 04:58 PM
[QUOTE=abe_froman;16252983]quite a few of them actually.okc,mem,sa,minny,portland to name a few

its completely normal for nba standards.if your trading your franchise player then the only real move to do next is to go young and slash payroll.picks allow you to do that.while you wont be getting any franchise guys with those picks you can get really good nuggets late to supplement the top 5 pick your sure to get from sucking on your own.[/QUO

The spurs are the only 1 to win a championship, and the only reason they did it was David Robinson got hurt and the they got TImmy the next yr. You can become good through the draft, but building a Contender is very hard

lkingratedr
01-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Good luck with melo making 22 mil, hamilton making 13, harrington making 9 and Lopez due for a big extension...

just put it this way if the knicks dont get melo and jersey does... lopez is a free agent and the knicks will just take him away from them LOL either way jersey is screwed

Giaps
01-10-2011, 05:10 PM
I bolded the keyword for you :facepalm:

Let me use that analysis for the Knicks.

If Amare goes to the Knicks it isn't to win games.....they haven't made the playoffs for YEARS.

See.......that doesn't work.
lol so they both haven't made the playoffs means they are on the same level? Really?

Nets: 22-98 in last 120 games + no star in place
vs
Knicks: 52-68 in last 120 games + star in place

The Knicks have not made the playoffs either, but still managed to win over 2x more than the Nets have. The Knicks added Amar'e Stoudemire & Raymond Felton this summer. The Nets added Travis Outlaw and Anthony Morrow. Do you see the difference yet??

It's not even about Melo. The Nets should get him if they are willing to trade that much for him and you can check my previous posts and see that I don't want to trade for him. But let's not compare the Nets to the Knicks because that ship has sailed.

AddiX
01-10-2011, 05:12 PM
quite a few of them actually.okc,mem,sa,minny,portland to name a few

its completely normal for nba standards.if your trading your franchise player then the only real move to do next is to go young and slash payroll.picks allow you to do that.while you wont be getting any franchise guys with those picks you can get really good nuggets late to supplement the top 5 pick your sure to get from sucking on your own.

Thats interesting, Memphis is ok at best (I dont think anyone fears there core in coming years or now), Portland is a complete wreck, Minny is one of the worse teams in the league and has been rebuilding through the draft since forever.

Okc grabbed all of there top players in the top 5.
SA built there core through the draft, Ill give you that one.

All I'm saying is most "young" teams don't amount to anything, and bulk picks in the draft don't usually pan out to much.

29$JerZ
01-10-2011, 05:13 PM
This is going to drag on until the final minute of the Trade deadline.

NJ needs a player like Melo at all cost, however dumping the only good talent on your previous 12 win team isn't exactly smart.

I only see Melo in Denver or coming as a FA to NY, its getting ridiculous with the demands. Denver is going to shoot itself in the foot demanding a ton.

Nikeman
01-10-2011, 05:21 PM
The Nets would actually look pretty nice!

They'd have their own mini big three

Melo, Billups and Lopez. PG, Scorer and Bigman is nicely formed!

Add Harrington to that and you got a 6th man 15 ppg guy

BigBlueCrew
01-10-2011, 05:21 PM
lol so they both haven't made the playoffs means they are on the same level? Really?

Nets: 22-98 in last 120 games + no star in place
vs
Knicks: 52-68 in last 120 games + star in place

The Knicks have not made the playoffs either, but still managed to win over 2x more than the Nets have. The Knicks added Amar'e Stoudemire & Raymond Felton this summer. The Nets added Travis Outlaw and Anthony Morrow. Do you see the difference yet??

It's not even about Melo. The Nets should get him if they are willing to trade that much for him and you can check my previous posts and see that I don't want to trade for him. But let's not compare the Nets to the Knicks because that ship has sailed.

You better not make jokes, that's the blueprint for greatness!!!

haha couldnt even finish typing that without laughing

Everyone keeps telling me how much great potential Brook Lopez has, does he ever plan on converting that potential to something useful?

SluggeR
01-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Lopez
Humphries
Melo
Rip
Billups

With no draft picks nor cap space, does this team=titles?

lkingratedr
01-10-2011, 05:26 PM

Lopez
Humphries
Melo
Rip
Billups

With no draft picks nor cap space, does this team=titles?

Let me answer that question for you. In the nets world yes... in the real world hell no

Giaps
01-10-2011, 05:27 PM
I really don't want to come off as bashing the Nets, but if some people are going to act like children and call out Knicks fans then you are going to hear it from me.

Just like last time Melo got "traded" to the Nets with all the corny "U Mad?" sigs from Nets fans to Knicks fans lol. You guys better hope he gets traded this time because that will be really embarrassing... again.

lkingratedr
01-10-2011, 05:29 PM
the nets would actually look pretty nice!

They'd have their own mini big three

melo, billups and lopez. Pg, scorer and bigman is nicely formed!

Add harrington to that and you got a 6th man 15 ppg guy

and i repeat... Billups will not play for the nets

Giaps
01-10-2011, 05:35 PM
and i repeat... Billups will not play for the nets
He might, but even if he does the guy is turning 35 years old this year.

NewYorkJets21
01-10-2011, 05:36 PM
deal is DEAD.

BigBlueCrew
01-10-2011, 05:44 PM
deal is DEAD.

Just reading about it as well.

I knew Adrain Wojo from yahoo would jump the gun on reporting this deal. Its like he has some personal stock in this deal going thru. What a stupid arse.

lkingratedr
01-10-2011, 05:48 PM
He might, but even if he does the guy is turning 35 years old this year.

he wont its already been stated if he is traded he is requesting a buyout or he could do a no-show move

AddiX
01-10-2011, 06:03 PM
LoL at Denver now saying Harrington has to be included in this deal.

This deal isn't done, or close to done. It's just a lot of posturing by all sides involved.

Nets2010
01-10-2011, 06:03 PM
So since I've noticed a handful of bitter Knicks fans in this thread..bashing the Nets..let me throw this stat out there ! Since the 2001-2002 Season...The Nets have posted a W-L record of 360-378...in the last 3 years the record has been 80-166...where the MOST RECENT drop off in team success has occurred...While the Knicks have posted a WHOOPING 279-459 record since 2001-2002 & not even achieving a .500 record ONCE ! Since. I think its great that the KNICKS ARE BACK ! I love what they've been doing, but DO NOT lose sight of the fact they've been the mediocre franchise in the metropolitan area for the last decade.

arkanian215
01-10-2011, 06:06 PM
he wont its already been stated if he is traded he is requesting a buyout or he could do a no-show move

This shows you've been keeping up.

Nets2010
01-10-2011, 06:06 PM
The Knicks landed Amare & have built up a very competitive team ! But you haven't won a playoff series in 11years ! and in the last 20years the only significant thing you've done is go to the finals in '94 & '99...Other than that you were getting crushed by Indiana & Chicago.

rurichie
01-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Let me answer that question for you. In the nets world yes... in the real world hell no

Actually We would still have 3 picks in the next two years.

29$JerZ
01-10-2011, 06:09 PM
LoL at Denver now saying Harrington has to be included in this deal.

This deal isn't done, or close to done. It's just a lot of posturing by all sides involved.

Too me it looks like Denver wants to literally be the NJ Nets, swapping all their bad contracts for Cap space and picks :laugh2:

DetroitBadBoy
01-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Too me it looks like Denver wants to literally be the NJ Nets, swapping all their bad contracts for Cap space and picks :laugh2:

lol thats funny, sure seems like it.

NewYorkJets21
01-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Actually We would still have 3 picks in the next two years.

Im pretty sure i stand for a good amount of nets fans. WERE DONE WAITING!!!!!!!!!

Had to wait two years for lebron and tank the season and deal with sooo much hate & sadness watching the team, but for the true fans who have been here for it all, im not waiting another ****ing 2 years for first round draft picks which arent guarenteed team savers, theres a thing called busts and players that dont live to expectations. We need change and we need something now whether its carmelo or anyone. Im moving to los angeles in a few years and if the nets dont take the joke off themselves im switching to my second favorite team, the lakers.

Im so appalled

rurichie
01-10-2011, 06:20 PM
Im pretty sure i stand for a good amount of nets fans. WERE DONE WAITING!!!!!!!!!

Had to wait two years for lebron and tank the season and deal with sooo much hate & sadness watching the team, but for the true fans who have been here for it all, im not waiting another ****ing 2 years for first round draft picks which arent guarenteed team savers, theres a thing called busts and players that dont live to expectations. We need change and we need something now whether its carmelo or anyone. Im moving to los angeles in a few years and if the nets dont take the joke off themselves im switching to my second favorite team, the lakers.

Im so appalled

Exactly I'm just saying that because someone said we would have no draft picks after this trade

Giaps
01-10-2011, 06:23 PM
So since I've noticed a handful of bitter Knicks fans in this thread..bashing the Nets..let me throw this stat out there ! Since the 2001-2002 Season...The Nets have posted a W-L record of 360-378...in the last 3 years the record has been 80-166...where the MOST RECENT drop off in team success has occurred...While the Knicks have posted a WHOOPING 279-459 record since 2001-2002 & not even achieving a .500 record ONCE ! Since. I think its great that the KNICKS ARE BACK ! I love what they've been doing, but DO NOT lose sight of the fact they've been the mediocre franchise in the metropolitan area for the last decade.
What's a better barometer for future success? The Knicks over the last 10 years or the Knicks over the last 3 years? Or the Knicks of this season? Should we also go back and compare the Knicks of the 90s to the Nets of the 90s? It's no use throwing Scott Layden, Isiah Thomas and Donnie Walsh in the same pot. Doesn't mix.

The fact is that the Nets and Knicks both sacrificed 2 seasons for capspace last summer. The Knicks came away with Amar'e and Felton and are 6th in the east. The Nets' best acquisitions were Outlaw and Morrow and they are 5th worst in the NBA. The most recent results will give you an indication of the direction of the team.

------------- 2009-2010 ------------- 2010-2011 ---------- % change
Nets: ------- 12-70 (14.6%) ---------- 10-27 (27%) ------------ +12.4%
Knicks: ----- 29-53 (.354%) --------- 21-15 (.583%) ----------- +22.9%

We shouldn't be comparing. This isn't to bash but the facts are the facts.

bringinwood
01-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Too greedy ???

that's pretty damn funny...

There is no such as greed in American sports... You have an asset that, regardless of the haul back, will leave your organization in shambles for years to come once he departs...

Denver's plan should be to get as many marketable assets back as possible while getting rid of all the garbage they can tack on for Anthony's services...

But, sure, Denver should think of how fair they are being to the Nets... :facepalm:

oak2455
01-10-2011, 06:45 PM
The Knicks landed Amare & have built up a very competitive team ! But you haven't won a playoff series in 11years ! and in the last 20years the only significant thing you've done is go to the finals in '94 & '99...Other than that you were getting crushed by Indiana & Chicago.

while the Knicks were getting crushed as you say.....what were the Nets doing?

rurichie
01-10-2011, 08:12 PM
while the Knicks were getting crushed as you say.....what were the Nets doing?

idk going to the finals 2002 and 2003

netsgiantsyanks
01-10-2011, 08:16 PM
i hope this trade fails. the nets are getting absolutely raped in this deal it's not even ****ing funny.

oak2455
01-10-2011, 08:36 PM
idk going to the finals 2002 and 2003

the 90's was what I was asking....well?

DenButsu
01-10-2011, 10:24 PM
As a Nuggets fan, I'm kind of worried about the Nuggets asking for too much and blowing the deal.

But that said, what is "too greedy" when making trades in the NBA? Shouldn't the goal in making any deal be to get as much value back for whatever asset(s) you're trading away as you possibly can?

Maybe the Nuggets are overplaying their hand. But, maybe not. And if Ujiri does end up swinging a deal with additional young players and better cap relief, it will be he, and not the people who are criticizing him for not pulling the trigger yet (and settling on a lesser trade package), who comes out of this looking smart.

I think his pushing for more is less risky than a lot of people are making it out to be. No way in hell does NJ pull the basic offer off the table.

Crackadalic
01-10-2011, 10:28 PM
If this goes through melo is better off staying in denver because the nets team after the trade is not better then the nuggets team and will not contend for anything. They will be stuck in salary cap hell for 3 more years and have to sign Lopez to an extension

rurichie
01-10-2011, 10:50 PM
If this goes through melo is better off staying in denver because the nets team after the trade is not better then the nuggets team and will not contend for anything. They will be stuck in salary cap hell for 3 more years and have to sign Lopez to an extension

Explain to me how ? Same PG better SG possibly same PF and better Center better bench thats it

THE GIPPER
01-10-2011, 10:59 PM
http://twitter.com/chris_broussard

This makes more sense. Denver has no need for harris.

Crackadalic
01-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Explain to me how ? Same PG better SG possibly same PF and better Center better bench thats it

Nuggets
Billups/Lawson/Carter
Gary Forbes/JR/Afflalo
Melo/balkman
Harrington/Martin/Williams
Nene/Birdman

Nets
Billups/Farmer
Rip/Sasha
Melo/Outlaw
Kris/??
Lopez/??

Nene is better then Lopez he cant rebound for nothing and shoots 44%
If your gonna sit there and tell me Kris is better then Harrington/Martin you smoking something

The nuggets overall have a better team then the nets if the trade happens

Bornknick73
01-10-2011, 11:36 PM
Lets look at it from Carmelo's POV.

His team is in decline, he has 65 mil on the table. If he signs he might never make the kind of moves towards a championship other players seem to be making. Hes 26 and not getting younger. If he goes to the Nets its 2 years till Brooklyn playing for a subpar team that just gave up their rebuilding power and cap space to get him and all the crap pieces they had to take just to get him.

Chicago is more of a sure shot as far as contending but they arent gonna give up the pieces, namely Joakim Noah to get him and the Nuggets have no interest in Deng's contract. And their picks will be in the low first rounds as long as they have their core together. They will be contending for years Melo or no Melo.

Unfortunately the only team that makes sense for Melo is the Knicks. Lets see...

All-Star Bigman....CHECK
Young up and coming PG....CHECK
Good young players to fill out the bench....CHECK
Winning Coach....CHECK
Established Big Market Franchise.....CHECK
Flexibility to add another big piece in 2012.....CHECK

Diss Dantoni if you want but he is a winning coach in this league. Even if you trade Fields/Chandler/Gallo the Knicks are still in good shape to compete in the East. And would probably be a top 3-4 seed with Melo/STAT/Felton. This whole ordeal is about putting himself in a better position to compete with Lebron and Miami and the other heavy hitters in the league.

Going to NJ is almost the same as staying with the Nuggets. Sure they will get better and you'll be the man but your still not gonna win the title without the All-Star help ala James. He wants to leave to go to a stronger team to have a better chance. Why the hell would he want to go to NJ and waste 2 prime years of his career?

If he ends up in NJ im sure it will be good to have 2 Superstars in NYC in 2 years. But why throw 2 years away? It just doesnt make sense to me. Unless its all about the money in which case it makes perfect sense. The bottom line is if he is serious about winning and competing with those guys (LBJ,Kobe,D12,Pierce) for a championship then there is no way he goes to NJ.

No disrespect intended NJ fans. But if you do land him and all the salary cap albatrosses that might come with him, and trade away a good portion of your future picks....how do you expect to build a team around him? No youth, no cap, no picks. The Nets are just trying to make a splash out of desperation due to their failure to acquire a big name FA.

But with their team I would continue to build through the draft with all those picks. Develop Favors and Lopez and go for a solid PG in 2012. CP3 or DWill. The Nets have all the assets to build a winner over the next few years. Trading it all away for one player seems desperate to me. The minute he signs there the rebuilding starts. How many years can he wait for the Nets to be contenders? At least 2 for the FA class of 2012. So again 2 wasted years playing for a rebuilding team. When the whole reason you wanted out to begin with was to play for a contending team or to add your talents to a team that will become a contender. Realistically its not the Nets, not for a few years at least.

Im trying to be as unbiased as I can be. But if he is as serious as Lebron was about winning and money isnt everything then he wont go to NJ.

Bornknick73
01-10-2011, 11:42 PM

Billups wants a buyout if traded to NJ so PG out the window. Or even worse he'll want a big time extension for more cap hell.

RIP is in decline and is nothing like what he used to be

Harringtons contract is disgusting and he cant rebound.

Lopez cant rebound. And for a C his shooting % being so close to the rim is not good.

He might as well stay in Denver, Nene is 10x better then Lopez. JR Smith is probably better than anyone on your entire team right now. Birdman rebounds and blocks shots better than anyone on your team currently.

F-Mart26
01-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Billups would stay if he got an extension tho..
but i agree why doesnt denver just try and trade for rip

DwayneMVPwade
01-11-2011, 12:08 AM
itll be funny if NJ trades for melo and gives up favors, harris, first round picks only to watch him walk at the end of the season.

Hindy27
01-11-2011, 12:47 AM
Lets look at it from Carmelo's POV.

His team is in decline, he has 65 mil on the table. If he signs he might never make the kind of moves towards a championship other players seem to be making. Hes 26 and not getting younger. If he goes to the Nets its 2 years till Brooklyn playing for a subpar team that just gave up their rebuilding power and cap space to get him and all the crap pieces they had to take just to get him.

Chicago is more of a sure shot as far as contending but they arent gonna give up the pieces, namely Joakim Noah to get him and the Nuggets have no interest in Deng's contract. And their picks will be in the low first rounds as long as they have their core together. They will be contending for years Melo or no Melo.

Unfortunately the only team that makes sense for Melo is the Knicks. Lets see...

All-Star Bigman....CHECK
Young up and coming PG....CHECK
Good young players to fill out the bench....CHECK
Winning Coach....CHECK
Established Big Market Franchise.....CHECK
Flexibility to add another big piece in 2012.....CHECK

Diss Dantoni if you want but he is a winning coach in this league. Even if you trade Fields/Chandler/Gallo the Knicks are still in good shape to compete in the East. And would probably be a top 3-4 seed with Melo/STAT/Felton. This whole ordeal is about putting himself in a better position to compete with Lebron and Miami and the other heavy hitters in the league.

Going to NJ is almost the same as staying with the Nuggets. Sure they will get better and you'll be the man but your still not gonna win the title without the All-Star help ala James. He wants to leave to go to a stronger team to have a better chance. Why the hell would he want to go to NJ and waste 2 prime years of his career?

If he ends up in NJ im sure it will be good to have 2 Superstars in NYC in 2 years. But why throw 2 years away? It just doesnt make sense to me. Unless its all about the money in which case it makes perfect sense. The bottom line is if he is serious about winning and competing with those guys (LBJ,Kobe,D12,Pierce) for a championship then there is no way he goes to NJ.

No disrespect intended NJ fans. But if you do land him and all the salary cap albatrosses that might come with him, and trade away a good portion of your future picks....how do you expect to build a team around him? No youth, no cap, no picks. The Nets are just trying to make a splash out of desperation due to their failure to acquire a big name FA.

But with their team I would continue to build through the draft with all those picks. Develop Favors and Lopez and go for a solid PG in 2012. CP3 or DWill. The Nets have all the assets to build a winner over the next few years. Trading it all away for one player seems desperate to me. The minute he signs there the rebuilding starts. How many years can he wait for the Nets to be contenders? At least 2 for the FA class of 2012. So again 2 wasted years playing for a rebuilding team. When the whole reason you wanted out to begin with was to play for a contending team or to add your talents to a team that will become a contender. Realistically its not the Nets, not for a few years at least.

Im trying to be as unbiased as I can be. But if he is as serious as Lebron was about winning and money isnt everything then he wont go to NJ.

That's the thing though, the money difference is massive, it's not like LeBron taking a small paycut to join his mates. if Melo doesn't sign his extension there is a huge difference in cash. Not only that, his current management team make 0% of his current deal, they will be pressuring him into signing the extension so they can get paid.

If NY want him then they'll have to trade for him, there is zero chance he waits until the off season, none whatsoever. He will sign that extension wherever he goes.
So the Knicks need to outbid other teams to get him, so they'll have to give up some nice pieces to beat a Nets deal.

Sadly, the Nets desperation has Denver forcing them to bid against themselves, which is stupid, but King/Proky just keep bending over.

itll be funny if NJ trades for melo and gives up favors, harris, first round picks only to watch him walk at the end of the season.
:facepalm:

RDBK514
01-11-2011, 01:04 AM

You do realize that this deal won't get done unless Melo signs an extension? It's been said like 68584838239646343747373 times.

tommyt15
01-11-2011, 01:10 AM
I think the nuggets are asking for a lot but they deserve a lot for melo

As for will he sign the extension I'm pretty sure the trade hinges on Carmelo signing an extension

masalex1205
01-11-2011, 01:10 AM
He's not signing w/ the Nets...

much ado about nothing

KDM1986
01-11-2011, 01:44 AM

That would be a very tough pill to swallow.

DenButsu
01-11-2011, 07:09 AM

That's a total non-issue. The Nets won't give up those assets without the assurance that Melo will extend with them. So that possibility is just out of the question.

Metsboi69
01-11-2011, 07:28 AM
He's not signing w/ the Nets...

much ado about nothing

These posts are getting to annoying. HIS AGENT IS THE ONE PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER HE WOULD SIGN WITH THE NETS.

Giaps
01-11-2011, 11:26 AM
i hope this trade fails. the nets are getting absolutely raped in this deal it's not even ****ing funny.
You're in the minority of Nets fans but I agree with you. I think they're better off keeping Favors and all those picks. Melo and an old Chauncey and Rip isn't going to win titles.

LA_Raiders
01-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Greedy? They aren't getting **** for Melo. Why are they greedy? If Melo is going to the Easy, Its going to cost...

Young and Stupid
01-11-2011, 11:32 AM
You're in the minority of Nets fans but I agree with you. I think they're better off keeping Favors and all those picks. Melo and an old Chauncey and Rip isn't going to win titles.

No, he's not. All logical Nets fans understand that this trade is absolutely horrendous from a basketball-standpoint, but they also understand the repercussions of this deal falling-through. I was 100% against this trade from the beginning, not because the Nets shouldn't pursue Carmelo, but because they can obtain him for a lot less than is currently being proposed. They had to be patient and not show their hand, it's too late for that. Now the Nets have to find a way to get this done because the damage of not getting it done will be monumental.

I still think Melo ends up on the Knicks, but we'll see.