PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to say melo doesn't care about winning?

james21
01-09-2011, 09:16 PM
The reason why i ask this, is because melo to the bulls, knicks, dallas, would be instant title contenders! Him going to the nets, i'm thinking NO rings! he might not even see the ecf, with miami, knicks, orlando, boston, etc... So I think this a clearly a money, wanting to be in brooklyn decision.

thekmp211
01-09-2011, 09:20 PM
im just gonna go out on a limb and say that this thread should be closed

Flash3
01-09-2011, 09:20 PM
i dont think mello to the knicks will mean instant contenders.

Niro
01-09-2011, 09:24 PM
i agree

Jays Claw
01-09-2011, 09:27 PM
So I think this a clearly a money, wanting to be in brooklyn decision.

Carmelo wanting to play in Brooklyn as well as making more money is just the general consensus that's been put out there since the discussions of him wanting to leave Denver surfaced. But it's pretty obvious by now. I really think he needs to make a basketball-based decision and stay in Denver. He's got a terrific team there.

THE GIPPER
01-09-2011, 09:28 PM
I think carmelo wants to win but he also wants to go home (brooklyn) and as a nuggets fan im not upset with what hes doing cuz i no he could screw as over and leave us with nothing

blueplanet
01-09-2011, 09:34 PM
Here come the bulls and knicks (some) fans to support the OP!!!

LakersMaster24
01-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Is it safe to say that this is a pointless thread?

Stuckey#3
01-09-2011, 09:43 PM
The reason why i ask this, is because melo to the bulls, knicks, dallas, would be instant title contenders! Him going to the nets, i'm thinking NO rings! he might not even see the ecf, with miami, knicks, orlando, boston, etc... So I think this a clearly a money, wanting to be in brooklyn decision.

At least Melo isn't waiting for this summer to publicly shaft the team that drafted him and surrounded him with talent for years in an hour-long television special.

Atownballa5
01-09-2011, 09:46 PM
close the thread maybe next time james21

SteBO
01-09-2011, 09:46 PM
At least Melo isn't waiting for this summer to publicly shaft the team that drafted him and surrounded him with talent for years in an hour-long television special.
:facepalm: No need to be mentioned, it's over, get over it.
/thread

Two-3
01-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Since he's a free agent and has no say I'm not sure where your going with this but one thing that annoys me is people saying he's,"Going home to NY" when he was only in New York for a short time and is from Baltimore and even reps Bmore and has a couple of Baltimore Tattos

rhino17
01-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Ummm, sure

he has only won a college national championship and made the playoffs every year of his career

and a chauncy, rip, melo, Lopez team is pretty damn good

210Don
01-09-2011, 09:48 PM
nothing is safe to say

blastmasta26
01-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Ummm, sure

he has only won a college national championship and made the playoffs every year of his career

Chauncey and Rip are old, and Billups might not even play with the Nets. I don't see that team as a contender.

Knicks21
01-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Ummm, sure

Chauncy aint playing for the nets. so its more like farmar rip melo hump lopez.

smith&wesson
01-09-2011, 09:52 PM
i dont think he wants to play in newjersey, new jersey is the team that is persuing him the most. He has made it clear he wants to be in new york. carmelo and amare on new york would be a great thing. hope he goes to the knicks. and im not a knick fan i just think those two could do some damage together.

SteBO
01-09-2011, 09:55 PM
i dont think he wants to play in newjersey, new jersey is the team that is persuing him the most. He has made it clear he wants to be in new york. carmelo and amare on new york would be a great thing. hope he goes to the knicks. and im not a knick fan i just think those two could do some damage together.
It's either Denver or Miami for Chauncey at this point should the deal get finalized. As for Melo, I hope he ends up New York. I want the NY/Miami rivalry renewed.

jonline87
01-09-2011, 09:58 PM
I think we're all jumping the gun. Just because a deal is in place, doesn't mean he's going to NJ. It means that NJ will meet with him soon and try to convince him to sign the extension.

D Roses Bulls
01-09-2011, 10:01 PM
It's either Denver or Miami for Chauncey at this point should the deal get finalized. As for Melo, I hope he ends up New York. I want the NY/Miami rivalry renewed.

It wont be renewed unless new york gets good defensively. thats what the 90's were all about, two good defensive teams and besides it was only a rivarly back then cause pat left new york for miami and his assistant (van gundy) took over for the knicks.

td0tsfinest
01-09-2011, 10:08 PM
He's being traded dumbass. He has no say in where he goes; he's not a FA. Close this travesty of a thread.

I'm pretty sure his two options was to go to New York or New Jersey. He did have his say. He wanted out and he wanted to play in New York.

godolphins
01-09-2011, 10:08 PM
The Nets will be a playoff contender with Melo

NYKNYGNYY
01-09-2011, 10:14 PM
pretty bad thread...

jimm120
01-09-2011, 10:17 PM
It isn't Melo here.

Denver is being vERY vindictive about this situation. They don't want to trade him to the Knicks or any team HE wants.

And it is their right to trade him. He didn't say "trade me". They opted to.

Silent
01-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Chauncey allready said he staying close to home if not he's gonna retire so no miami for Chauncey No East East For Mr big Shot

benzni
01-09-2011, 10:26 PM
melo wants to go the the knicks because he thinks they can compete so i would say he wants to win. He doesnt want to go the the nets because he doesnt think they can win. close the thread.

Meatmypet
01-09-2011, 10:26 PM
He's being traded dumbass. He has no say in where he goes; he's not a FA. Close this travesty of a thread.

How does he not have any say? The reason why they're taking so long with the trade is because he's refusing to sign an extension with the team he's being traded to.

Denver wants the picks and expiring contracts from NJ. NJ is willing to give pretty much everything Denver wants, but in return, they want reassurance that Melo will stay with NJ after the season.

In my opinion, this whole NJ talk right now is just for the media to make news. It's not going to happen.

beardown78
01-10-2011, 10:14 AM
I think Melo's motivation is questionable. Does he really care about winning or just getting back to the east coast and closer to home. Melo has all the leverage with his willingness to sign an extension or not for potential trade suitors. If he truely wanted to compete for A title now the Mavs,Bulls or Knicks should top his list in no paticular order. The Nets will always play second fiddle to the Knicks in that market I dont care where you move them to. I think if hes traded to the Knicks he gets A chance to conted for a title right now and the huge endorsements thats come from winning and being in that large market

SteBO
01-10-2011, 10:16 AM
It wont be renewed unless new york gets good defensively. thats what the 90's were all about, two good defensive teams and besides it was only a rivarly back then cause pat left new york for miami and his assistant (van gundy) took over for the knicks.
True :nod:

NYLuke
01-10-2011, 10:34 AM
I have to agree. Billups has publicly stated that he will demand a buyout if he gets traded to the Nets and Rip is just old. Lopez doesnt even come close to comparing to STAT so all there is going to be left is basically Humphries... yea that's a title contending team. The facts are the Melo isn't leaving Denver cuz of the city, if Denver had won a title there's no way he would leave. So he's not leaving just to go to a worse team that what he has currently.

John Walls Era
01-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Its not that he doesn't care about winning. I think it has to do with who hes playing for. 2 likely locations: NY or NJ (for now). He wants to be the guy on the team; can't share the limelight with Rose or Dirk.

Also going to the Knicks won't make them contenders, but would put them in the top 4 (being number 4).

chuckdaily85
01-10-2011, 10:47 AM
the Knicks dont have what Denver wants in return, neither does Dal now that Butler is out for the year. Now with that being said with Melo the Nets (i am a fan) wont win a championship this year. But their eye is on getting CP3 the next year and since CP3, Melo, & Rip all have the same agent it makes sense. That right there is a contender

Mr.Harlem
01-10-2011, 10:55 AM
Chauncy aint playing for the nets. so its more like farmar rip melo hump lopez.

actually chauncey would play for the nets since they assured him he will get his 14 million next season

king4day
01-10-2011, 11:35 AM
We will have to wait until he goes somewhere before we know if it's just about money or winning. From what it sounds like, he wont go to NJ if help doesn't come with him.
Billups is playing for the Nets if he's traded there. He has no control over it and it's not like his contract expires soon.

Hindy27
01-10-2011, 11:40 AM
I don't remember anyone calling Amare greedy, or saying he doesn't care about winning, when he left a successful team to take the max from a bad team.

el_primo_nano
01-12-2011, 11:58 PM
Yes he does, which is why he wants to go to the Knicks. They are equipped to do big things for the next couple of years if he joins them..

Tony_Starks
01-14-2011, 09:30 PM
Pretty much. The Celtics will have the east on lock for at least a season or two more and after that its Miami, Orlando, and Chicago's time to take turns making the finals. New Jersey is not competing with those teams any time soon, Melo or no Melo......

DwayneMVPwade
01-14-2011, 09:40 PM
He wants to win. The reason why Melo wants out of denver is they dont have a bright future. Nets do, Lopez, Harris, Favors
Knicks Amare, Felton, Chandler

Though some of those players will probably in the Melo deal

godolphins
01-14-2011, 10:28 PM
I don't agree

Tony_Starks
01-14-2011, 10:43 PM
If he was to be patient he could just chill out and when the Lakers decline it would've been Denvers turn. Also he could've strived for home court advantage, which he never had against LA, and perhaps they could've even beat them now.

dtmagnet
01-14-2011, 11:24 PM
Athletes are supposed to make money aren't they?

faze38
01-15-2011, 12:16 AM
i dont think mello to the knicks will mean instant contenders.

Yeah tell that to Wade and Bosh that just got spanked by a Melo lead team! Melo makes the Knicks contenders the second he walks in NY with a Knicks jersey over his shoulder!

Back on topic I really don't think Melo has agreed to a trade to NJ and if he does I'm pretty sure it will have to be an amazing pitch by the Nets ownership. I mean if the Nets want to even have a shot at Melo Brooke is really going to have to pick up his game to make it happen. On top of that the people that keep saying that the Nuggets are calling Melo's bluff and it doesn't seem to be firm I think u guys are way off because Melo can play this game to July 1st while the Nuggets only have to Feb 24 if they want to get any real value out him! I mean I really think the Nuggets are trying to play hardball with him but once June 25 comes around they will be begging the Knicks for any thing Donnie is nice enough to throw their way! The longer the Nuggets refuse to deal with the Knicks the worse that package is going to be. So in my opinion if I were the Nuggets I would wake up real quick because if they keep shutting him down it going to get to a point were Donnie completly disrespects them come signing time! I mean I don't think it could be any worse then having to lose your best player for nothing at all not even a trade exception!

faze38
01-15-2011, 12:18 AM
He wants to win. The reason why Melo wants out of denver is they dont have a bright future. Nets do, Lopez, Harris, Favors
Knicks Amare, Felton, Chandler

Though some of those players will probably in the Melo deal

and what future do the Nets have honestly I mean we are talking about a team that only won 12 games last year and this year are playing with the Lakers scraps!

Tony_Starks
01-15-2011, 12:29 AM
Melo leaving has nothing to do with winning. His best chance of winning (eventually) is in Denver.

faze38
01-15-2011, 12:56 AM
Melo leaving has nothing to do with winning. His best chance of winning (eventually) is in Denver.

Do your really believe that with an aging Billups! I mean the window for a champioship is closing in Denver and they haven't made any moves to help them win! I mean what were they thinking signing Al "I Get Buckets" Harrington. On top of that they have 43 mil on the books without Billups getting his extension! Also don't forget that yes the Lakers might be on a decline in a few years but there is a young up and coming team in the West by the name of the Thunder that have two young stars that are getting better and better. So unless Billups is getting younger I can't say I see them beating them in 2 years once the Lakers start to show their age! So in all honesty the man is better off joining a man named Amare and hoping the Knicks can add some Length and build a team in the mold of the Lakers!

Tony_Starks
01-15-2011, 01:53 AM
Lawson and Afflalo could easily be their backcourt for years to come. Lawson's shown flashes that he could take over and Afflalo is just flat out great defender and does a little of everything. Chauncey is very tradeable. Nene is still young. They have a solid bench. Expiring contracts. A great coach. All the pieces are there.

Denver is not as far away as people think, if Melo had dedicated himself to rebounding better and passing better instead of just getting buckets who's to say they wouldnt sit atop the west? With the Lakers goofing off the regular season Denver should have been had homecourt advantage......

oak2455
01-15-2011, 02:08 AM
I don't remember anyone calling Amare greedy, or saying he doesn't care about winning, when he left a successful team to take the max from a bad team.

how are the successful suns now??

faze38
01-15-2011, 02:22 AM
Lawson and Afflalo could easily be their backcourt for years to come. Lawson's shown flashes that he could take over and Afflalo is just flat out great defender and does a little of everything. Chauncey is very tradeable. Nene is still young. They have a solid bench. Expiring contracts. A great coach. All the pieces are there.

Denver is not as far away as people think, if Melo had dedicated himself to rebounding better and passing better instead of just getting buckets who's to say they wouldnt sit atop the west? With the Lakers goofing off the regular season Denver should have been had homecourt advantage......

I can't say I'm convinced it's much easier to look good as a role player then a starter. I mean at one point people thought that Stuckey was the point guard of the future in Detriot and look what happened to them after Billups left. I think people forget that Billups brings alot of thing to a team like rebounding, elite play making, cool under stress and scoring but even all of those things aren't as big of a deal as the leadership he brings. As far as the Nuggets securing homecourt advantage I think a reason for their record is injuries. Earlier in the year the Nuggets were playing without a true big man which is another reason why Melo wants to go two years ago was the first time he played with a fully healthy team in the playoffs and with Nene, Birdman and K-mart's track record I wouldn't bet my future on them either. I mean Nene has only played one full year in his career and K-mart has been plagued with the injury bug for some time now. As far as Melo's rebounding he is giving the Nuggets 8 a game this year so how much more do you want from a SF. As far as moving Billups the Nuggets are a very fast paced out of control team and Billups is kind of the player that keeps them in control and operating in the half-court. Can they be dangerous without him of course but no way they can beat the Lakers, Thunder, Mavs or Spurs with a half court game that depends on Melo going 1 on 1 all day! Eventually the smarter teams will force him to be a pure jump shooter and let him tire himself out! So once again with Billups getting older it's only a matter of time before the wheels fall off in Denver unless they find another great PG to help that team or even just one that can run the system. I mean if u don't believe that a PG like Billups makes a big deal! Look at what happened to the Bobcats without Felton and he didn't even put up big number in Charlotte he just ran that team well and was like the floor coach over their. So now thanks to his little general role in NY him and Amare have the Knicks looking like a respectable team!

Bornknick73
01-15-2011, 02:34 AM
It isn't Melo here.

Denver is being vERY vindictive about this situation. They don't want to trade him to the Knicks or any team HE wants.

And it is their right to trade him. He didn't say "trade me". They opted to.

Are we the only few who can see this? Not many of us out there in the world of reality.

guy doesnt sign a extension, Denver says oh **** hes leaving, we better trade his *** fast or we'll get ****ed like the Cavs. And Melo gets all the heat. People are funny.

Its his right to not sign a extension if he doesnt want to continue to play for the team when his contract is up. How all the blame gets heaped on him I dont know, i guess denver is winning the PR battle with their fans. They sure have a majority of the PSD in their pocket already.

faze38
01-15-2011, 02:57 AM
Are we the only few who can see this? Not many of us out there in the world of reality.

guy doesnt sign a extension, Denver says oh **** hes leaving, we better trade his *** fast or we'll get ****ed like the Cavs. And Melo gets all the heat. People are funny.

Its his right to not sign a extension if he doesnt want to continue to play for the team when his contract is up. How all the blame gets heaped on him I dont know, i guess denver is winning the PR battle with their fans. They sure have a majority of the PSD in their pocket already.

You guys are def not alone but Denver is kind of dragging his name through the dirt and making the Denver fans turn on him so I have to think it's more likely that he leaves now!

tr3ymill3r
01-15-2011, 03:00 AM

What talent? They had an opportunity to get Amare but didn't want to give up Hixon...hmmm who would I rather have Hixon or LeBron and Amare? That's tough. Yes, they had a talented team but it was solely based on LeBron and making those guys better, getting them easy shots and taking over games. If you don't believe me see Cavs 57 Lakers 112. High school games score more than 57. Dan Gilbert had plenty of opportunities to get other star players but he was content with Antawn Jamison, Larry Hughes and an aged Shaq, those are some great talent to surround him with. Where's Ricky Davis and Darius Miles?

JiffyMix88
01-15-2011, 03:08 AM
has to be they have everything a team needs to win besides a real post threat outside of nene and he wants to go to the nets.... or the knicks (which isnt as bad but the nuggest have depth) just dont understand y someone would to leave a team built around them?

pd1dish
01-15-2011, 03:14 AM

first of all, if melo is traded, the trade has nothing to do with what carmelo wants. it has to do with what denver wants. denver is just going to trade him to the team that can get them the right players in return.

second of all, just because melo is traded to a team, it doesnt make a difference on where he plays long term because he can choose to leave after this year as a free agent. he would then be open to whatever team he wants.

Hindy27
01-15-2011, 03:14 AM
how are the successful suns now??
Probably as successful as Denver will be when Melo leaves. When you take out a player like Amare of course they're going to go backwards.

You've completely missed the point by the way.
The Suns were a good team and Amare left for the money offered by a team that has been pathetic for a decade, no one mentioned him being greedy and not wanting to win.
Now because it looks like there's a chance Melo goes to the Nets all this 'he'd rather money than winning' stuff starts up. Just about any player put in the same situation would take the money. there's no point bringing up LBJ, Bosh and Wade as their paycut was minimal compared to the paycut Melo would have to take to go to the Knicks.

Knicks fans are just getting butt hurt because it's almost impossible for their team to bring Melo there on max money.

Also, people keep saying stuff like 'add Melo to this Nets team and they're still not contenders'. I for one don't think they will trade for Melo and then leave the team as it is for the next few years, Proky will be making more moves in the off season or next season.

Tony_Starks
01-15-2011, 04:48 PM
I can't say I'm convinced it's much easier to look good as a role player then a starter. I mean at one point people thought that Stuckey was the point guard of the future in Detriot and look what happened to them after Billups left. I think people forget that Billups brings alot of thing to a team like rebounding, elite play making, cool under stress and scoring but even all of those things aren't as big of a deal as the leadership he brings. As far as the Nuggets securing homecourt advantage I think a reason for their record is injuries. Earlier in the year the Nuggets were playing without a true big man which is another reason why Melo wants to go two years ago was the first time he played with a fully healthy team in the playoffs and with Nene, Birdman and K-mart's track record I wouldn't bet my future on them either. I mean Nene has only played one full year in his career and K-mart has been plagued with the injury bug for some time now. As far as Melo's rebounding he is giving the Nuggets 8 a game this year so how much more do you want from a SF. As far as moving Billups the Nuggets are a very fast paced out of control team and Billups is kind of the player that keeps them in control and operating in the half-court. Can they be dangerous without him of course but no way they can beat the Lakers, Thunder, Mavs or Spurs with a half court game that depends on Melo going 1 on 1 all day! Eventually the smarter teams will force him to be a pure jump shooter and let him tire himself out! So once again with Billups getting older it's only a matter of time before the wheels fall off in Denver unless they find another great PG to help that team or even just one that can run the system. I mean if u don't believe that a PG like Billups makes a big deal! Look at what happened to the Bobcats without Felton and he didn't even put up big number in Charlotte he just ran that team well and was like the floor coach over their. So now thanks to his little general role in NY him and Amare have the Knicks looking like a respectable team!

I see what you're saying but people are acting like they have to trade Billups right now this second. He's looking bad but in the playoffs is where he earns his money. People were saying Ray Allen was washed up last year and he had some pretty huge playoff games. Like you said health is the main issue, but a healthy Denver team in the playoffs has a legit shot, more than the Nets or Knicks ever would.....

My main thing is Denver has pieces, a lot of teams don't. Im of the opinion had Karl not have had his situation last year that was one of their best shots at it all. But beyond all that anywhere he goes in the east is not going to compete with Boston, not going to compete with Miami, Orlando, the Bulls and hell maybe even the Hawks. Someone made a good point the other day that new school players don't have that great player mentality of the past of "let these players come to me so we can win...." With the Miami debacle it seems like everyone wants to just build a fantasy team asap and go for it. Doesnt always work that way.

If he seriously wants a chip his best bet is to let Denver re-tool and give the Lakers a run for their money. You beat the Lakers, you win the championship.